Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lesbian Gay Bisexual Trans-sexual (LGBT) - why is this a bad thing for guild formation?

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,904
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip
    Originally posted by Karteli

We're all different, this much is clear.  But sometimes it's a hinderance, especially when it comes to forming a guild.

LGBT people want to form a guild exclusive to them, so what?  Why are so many opposed?  It doesn't affect them.

Wouldn't it help the community to gather like minded people together?

I can understand it-

Sexual Orientation and race and religion should not even be an issue with a Guild in any way shap[e or form.

Look, I cannot make a "Straights Only Guild" or a "Black Only Guild" and advertise it as such (obviously you can have anyone in your guild who you wish and could still make a Guild like such)- So whats good for the goose.

Its like Orwell said in Animal farm. "All Animals are equal but some Animals are MORE equal than others..." This is becopming the case. 

Nice in theory.

I've seen so many derogatory things typed in chat and heard them over teamspeak.  I can certainly understand their desire to guild together.  I assume they aslo accept straights that are accepting and tolerant as well.  Even if they didn't I wouldn't see the problem.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Good responses .. but why do people actually care if someone forms or joins a LGBT guild?  Really it's the individual's business, not their peers.

I just find it unusual to create a guild based around what you like to have sex with. Bringing sex into a computer game is also very unusual. I could maybe understand it if the game is a virtual world, like The Matrix.

Why segregate yourselves in this manner?

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by Ausare
    I do not really think the players care that much. I think the game cares due to issues all these specific entry guilds create. Problems in appearance and in legal liability.

Wow at one time restricted and banned a player for advertising a LGBT guild, several years ago.  The uprise was immense, and Blizzard was faced with a cival lawsuit.  Blizzard appologized and "allowed" LGBT only guilds. http://kotaku.com/159536/blizzards-reaction-to-gay-guilds-an-unfortunate-mistake

Yeah but that has more to do with our hypersensitive "politically correct" society where everyone is a "victim".

Blizz shouldnt have caved- 

Again, my opinion on this probably is outside the mainstream. I am a political athiest with Libertarian leanings meaning I honestly could care less what anyopne does in their own homes. I support Gay marriage but NOT forcing Churches to marry Gays (as that is an infringment on their faith IMO)- 

To allow a Guild like this you would have to (kin fairness) start allowing other guilds to exclude people for being Gay- Straight ONLY. Or WHITE ONLY. Granted, shits not fair anymore and the "minority" (in this case Gays) are the only one allowed to exclude.

-Thus is the way the World is going...

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    Well in your story it is gay and lesbian friendly guild not gay and lesbian only guild.
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

We're all different, this much is clear.  But sometimes it's a hinderance, especially when it comes to forming a guild.

LGBT people want to form a guild exclusive to them, so what?  Why are so many opposed?  It doesn't affect them.

I can understand it-

Sexual Orientation and race and religion should not even be an issue with a Guild in any way shap[e or form.

Look, I cannot make a "Straights Only Guild" or a "Black Only Guild" and advertise it as such (obviously you can have anyone in your guild who you wish and could still make a Guild like such)- So whats good for the goose.

Its like Orwell said in Animal farm. "All Animals are equal but some Animals are MORE equal than others..." This is becopming the case. 

Nice in theory.

I've seen so many derogatory things typed in chat and heard them over teamspeak.  I can certainly understand their desire to guild together.  I assume they aslo accept straights that are accepting and tolerant as well.  Even if they didn't I wouldn't see the problem.

Derogatory remarks come from everywhere or at everything-

Why do we have to "protect" certain people from these WORDS (after all- we are talking words here) but allow others to have "hurtful" things said to them? Its time we (as a society) grow up because our free speech is nearly gone as it is and everyone is so afraid of "offending" someone.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

I can understand it-

Nice in theory.

This is a major crux for the formation of LGBT guilds.  If you are gay, for instance, it's derogatory to hear some duschebag call people fags over vent for scewing up.  As a former guild leader, I've heard oooh so many complaints about the use of "don't be gay" "you fag" "you're so gay" "idiot homo" etc, directed at nobody in particular.  It would be akin to just random race comments about someone being a Wok, or a Wetback .. just for not performing well .. hmm

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

I am offended they stole the word gay.
    So is that what this thread is about the use of the negative usage of gay in slang?
  • SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

I can understand it-

Nice in theory.

This is a major crux for the formation of LGBT guilds.  If you are gay, for instance, it's derogatory to hear some duschebag call people fags over vent for scewing up.  As a former guild leader, I've heard oooh so many complaints about the use of "don't be gay" "you fag" "you're so gay" "idiot homo" etc, directed at nobody in particular.  It would be akin to just random race comments about someone being a Wok, or a Wetback .. just for not performing well .. hmm

As a guild leader you could make rules against that type of behavior, and kick those who do not conform. I have seen many guilds who up front say that excessive cursing is not allowed and is a kickable offense.

Personally I don't care if a guild wants to only have LGBT members, but then what do you do about guild that wants whites only? Obviously that would not be allowed.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Just as a side note:

Wow at one time restricted and banned a player for advertising a LGBT guild, several years ago.  The uprise was immense, and Blizzard was faced with a cival lawsuit.  Blizzard appologized and "allowed" LGBT only guilds. http://kotaku.com/159536/blizzards-reaction-to-gay-guilds-an-unfortunate-mistake

The rational is that you are discriminating against others because of their sexual orientation. 

If a group of people said no homosexuals allowed there would be an uproar. Discrimination of any kind tends to be frowned upon. 

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

The caring part is simple.  It's no different than somebody starting a White only guild, it's no different than somebody starting a Catholic only guild, it's no different than somebody starting a Male only guild, etc, etc, etc.  It's not like starting a guild for folks that share a love of stamp collecting or prefer Ford over Chevy trucks.

Rather than seeking to form a guild that discriminates - why not form a guild that does not tolerate discrimination?  Form a guild that does not tolerate hate, etc, etc, etc...

...just don't make it one that prefers Ford over Chevy trucks, cause that would just be silly.  :)

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Bah, you can make a White Pride guild if you wanted to. Thing is, you shouldn't advertise it as such or name it like that since it is frowned upon. You can still accept invites and kick people without stating any reason - you don't owe an explanation to anyone.

I think the name of the guild is provocative, and Blizzard should've forced them to change it. They can still be a "LGBT" guild but under a different name.

I also wonder the need to make such a guild since they are not much different from everyone else.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Well, race isn't a really good example to any point, because people are born gay or lesbian .. they are not born racists or religious fanaticals - this is learned through life.

You can learn a particular political / racist / religous standpoint... but you can not learn to be lesbian or gay .. it just happens.

Well, race isn't a really good example to any point, because people are born gay or lesbian .. they are not born racists or religious fanaticals - this is learned through life.

You can learn a particular political / racist / religous standpoint... but you can not learn to be lesbian or gay .. it just happens.

You cannot learn to be black or White either.... Plus I could debate the issue of "being born" gay. In some cases you are correct,in others its a 'learned' behavior.

Regardless, you want a Guild which excludes people because of THEIR sexual orientation- Yet want your "rights" and feel nobody should say anything "hurtful"- If I made a Staight Only guild and excluded Gays on the basis of their sexuality, is that okay? Personally its NOT okay and I would never start such a Guild. The same should apply.

-And this isnt personal. I am sure I would like playing with many of the members in this fictional Guild and honestly I get along far better with gays than Christians (a Christian Guilod would be pure Hell for me lol)- I dont care who you sleep with or what your fetishis are. Hope you dont care who I sleep with and what my fetisis are.

We are either all Human beings or Not.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

Erm people are just that, born to race. being part of a specific race is loose from being or not being a racist. 

Also it is also not true people are born gay or lesbian exclusively. Enviroment also plays a role to some extend. If you are going to talk for all than it is a mixture of Genes and Enviroment

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287
    Well, race isn't a really good example to any point, because people are born gay or lesbian .. they are not born racists or religious fanaticals - this is learned through experience.

That isn't true.  There is no science to support the ideal that people are born gay.  Certainly there have been studies that indicate chemical conditions in a person may be present from birth that can be a contributing factor in sexual preference.  But each of these studies also acknowledge that other people have the same chemical balance and have entirely different sexual preferences.  Furthermore, even if we PROVED that you can be born with a sexual preference...it still wouldn't be all-encompassing.  Just because one person was genuinely born with the correct combination of biological conditions to make them gay, you'd have others who simply chose to be.  See, life experience can also change your biological state.  This can be seen in simple ways.  Men forced to lift weights for a minute and watch action films get a boost of testosterone.  The same men forced to wear a dress and make cookies see a loss of it.  Over time, these chemical changes become more permanent.  Your body tries to find a stable state and maintain it.  So a person who was kicked around by the opposite sex might choose to avoid them.  In time they might also begin to stop doing things they would have, otherwise, been doing to attract that sex.  Not even intentionally...just a simple lifestyle change for a time.  These things would change their body chemistry slowly. 

I won't bother with saying more.  I'm not shooting down the ideal people are born gay.  I'm saying we don't know.  And even if we did, the biological reasons for it to BE true could be affected by other things so you'd have no way to know who was born gay.  Hell, I've met people who just played around at being gay for a time because they had a hard life and it was their way of understanding it.  Didn't work out for em, so they obviously weren't born gay at all.  But you'd have had a hard time figuring that out for a bit there.

Also, since we are talking about how life experience can control our biology and what shapes us into what we are....

You CAN be born a racist.  You can be born into a racist family.  Your entire understanding of the world is formed around it, and by the time you have other influences that you actually REGARD seriously...that understanding will take years to reverse.  Even when you do change your understanding, the inclination to look at other races differently will remain.  Slight things like moving away from black men and covering your wallet will persist long after you understand that they are just people with motivations like your own.  Our experiences as children STRONGLY define us, and its very hard to break away from that.

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

My opinion - people can make whatever guild they want to, and invite whatever players they want  to. If a LGBT guild only wants to invite LGBT players, fine by me.

The only question I have is how will they be able to tell who is or isn't LGBT? My guess - they invite anyone who will tolerate thier conversations and lifestyle regardless if they are actually gay or not.

Lets make a hate guild and see what happends, and observe how "equal" things are

jezz I "hate" people who hate LGBT people and those who are against equal rights, I mean people should have their point of view, as long as I agree with it, and if you dont agree with it, then your wrong, but I respect that, becaue wrong people are equal to right people, and right and wrong is just an illusion, and all people are the same 1 person..............blah blah blah

I think this thread and the op have less to do with the topic of guilds and more to do with socio-politics.
    Originally posted by Gishgeron

Also, since we are talking about how life experience can control our biology and what shapes us into what we are....

You CAN be born a racist.  You can be born into a racist family.  Your entire understanding of the world is formed around it, and by the time you have other influences that you actually REGARD seriously...that understand will take years to reverse.  Even when you do change your understanding, the inclination to look at other races differently will remain.  Slight things like moving away from black men and covering your wallet will persist long after you understand that they are just people with motivations like your own.  Our experiences as children STRONGLY define us, and its very hard to break away from that.

ZZzzzttt!

You are grown up to be a racist, you are not born as one.

As far as being lesbian or gay as something acquired in life, I know you're wrong.  You are essentially someone from the outside telling everyone on the inside how stuff works.  Gay and lesbians know they are different before they even start preschool.  There was little to be learned before that point.

You CAN be born a racist.  You can be born into a racist family.  Your entire understanding of the world is formed around it, and by the time you have other influences that you actually REGARD seriously...that understand will take years to reverse.  Even when you do change your understanding, the inclination to look at other races differently will remain.  Slight things like moving away from black men and covering your wallet will persist long after you understand that they are just people with motivations like your own.  Our experiences as children STRONGLY define us, and its very hard to break away from that.

ZZzzzttt!

As far as being lesbian or gay as something acquired in life, I know you're wrong.  You are essentially someone from the outside telling everyone on the inside how stuff works.  Gay and lesbians know they are different before they even start preschool.  There was little to be learned before that point.

Therefore they are special ahnd deserve special rights and privladge above the unwashed massed of "the majority."

Even if you are correct about all of them "knowing" they were born that way- Who you have sex with does not make you "special". Its sex bro- Everyone has it (sometimes even alone =O )

WHO CARES? If you feel the need to broadcast that you like to have sex with the same sex- What is your goal in doing this? How does this improve the GW2 game experience? What does this have to do with gaming...Period.

We get it. Your Gay. We dont care. =/

• dudeduder45dudeduder45 Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by VirusDancer

The caring part is simple.  It's no different than somebody starting a White only guild, it's no different than somebody starting a Catholic only guild, it's no different than somebody starting a Male only guild, etc, etc, etc.  It's not like starting a guild for folks that share a love of stamp collecting or prefer Ford over Chevy trucks.

Rather than seeking to form a guild that discriminates - why not form a guild that does not tolerate discrimination?  Form a guild that does not tolerate hate, etc, etc, etc...

...just don't make it one that prefers Ford over Chevy trucks, cause that would just be silly.  :)

Tbh, i think most guilds are male only whether they mean to be or not :)

• MonvedaMonveda Member Posts: 16
    I remember seeing religious guilds in almost every MMO I've played. If they are allowed , most others should be too , including LGBT

Therefore they are special ahnd deserve special rights and privladge above the unwashed massed of "the majority."

Even if you are correct about all of them "knowing" they were born that way- Who you have sex with does not make you "special". Its sex bro- Everyone has it (sometimes even alone =O )

WHO CARES? If you feel the need to broadcast that you like to have sex with the same sex- What is your goal in doing this? How does this improve the GW2 game experience? What does this have to do with gaming...Period.

You are a good example of the crap gays & lesbian people have to be put through.  I never said I was lesbian or gay, but you accused me of it, through your ineptitue for reading.

Oh btw, this was not even a GW2 forum, so uhh ... it's not improving GW2? Lulz :-) /fail

You are a good example of the crap gay people have to be put through.  I never said I was lesbian or gay, but you accused me of it, through your ineptitue for reading.

Oh btw, this was not even a GW2 forum, so uhh ,,, it's not improving GW2? Lulz :-) /fail

...Of coarse I assume you are gay hence asking about making a Gay guild- If I started a thread saying  "White Only guild" will you assume I might be an American Indian?

If it walks like a duck....

I mentioned GW2 since its the only time I have ever seen these Guilds advertised (like three last week I think)- So replace where I said GW2 with "Any game" and my point still stands.

I believe in equality... Thats not enough for the "protected" people I guess. The "crap" people have to put up with from me is being treated totally equal. I like and dislike people on their merits, not who they bed.

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

ZZzzzttt!

As far as being lesbian or gay as something acquired in life, I know you're wrong.  You are essentially someone from the outside telling everyone on the inside how stuff works.  Gay and lesbians know they are gay before they even start preschool.  There was little to be learned before that point.

Just because YOUR experience is not that does not mean others haven't had it.  I know people who HAVE.  I even said I didn't shoot down the ideal a person could not be born gay.  But I know lots of people.  Of them, I've met several camps of people from that spectrum and they have different experiences.  My point, if you'd cared to pay any attention, is that YOU (used as a generalization, you meaning anybody viewing a person and considering sexuality) would have no definite way to know for absolute certain if said person was actually born a certain way or chose a certain path in life.  If you honestly don't know ANYONE that feels differently then you then I would suggest speaking to more people.  I've seen all kinds, and very few people have the same experience at all. 

I'd also question knowing a sexuality before preschool.  Most kids are pretty gender neutral, and I don't recall actively thinking about women in a sexual way till WAYYYYYY after preschool.  I won't be so brash as to say other indicators weren't present....but I WOULD say that there were more contributing factors for THOSE than just "what I was born with".  I had questions about women and their bodies, but I also had a dad with a totally easy to reach porn stash.  That and women had different bodies than I did.  Its logical to assume you'd be interested in diffferences as a child.  Who knows, though?  I can say that, for certain, I knew my sexuality going in to middle school.  Probably elementary...its hard to tell at that point.  Mannerisms started forming then in regard to attracting the opposite sex.  But we learn those mannerisms from our peers too.  I feel more certain of middle school....5-8th grade. 

Remember that you do not speak for all people.  I didn't even try to speak for all people.  I said that your statement is not true.  There is no absolute in regard to sexuality and birth.  We can discuss individual experiences, but those are not absolutes that we can apply to all people.  You said all people are born with their sexuality.  Maybe you were, perhaps you have some massively advanced sexual identity that was known to you early.  Not everyone had that experience.  I didn't have that experience.  Many of my friends did not have that experience.  Science does not support that in any way.  So its a pretty safe bet that its not true applied to everyone.

This discussion has been closed.