Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is anyone else real mad at SOE ? ( Poll )

I loved Vanguard.  It's old but I don't care.  Millions of people cycled in and out of the trial Island, many had subscribed for a month only to find a mess.  Reasons being low advertisement, low population, bad coding, no updates.  Take your pick but we all know its all of the above.

Of playing MMO's for over six years I only have a small hand full of enjoyable games : Vanilla WoW, D&D Online before F2P and Vanguard.....I'm sure most of you have a small list of your own, and the rest are trash.

My opinion :

F2P is Vanguard's final nail in the coffin.  For me this is the last straw.  I could never go back now.  I never even attempted to download this F2P crap.  F2P games are short lived last attempts for any mmo.  After all who plays them ?....only F2P band wagon jumpers.  They get what they can for free, then gone when the next one comes out.

Whats wrong with SOE ?.......I would love to drop a microphone in one of there business meetings to find out the real story because I would really like to know what makes them tick, but I can only guess.

So here is a poll, Please take your best guess.

Comments

• seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714
    Meh, for every person like you there is a person like me who actually came back because it's free, loves it again and will stick around and probably pay.

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    The missinformed ride again lol.So you love Vanguard but you haven't logged into the FTP model but you are sure it's the final nail in the coffin.So to burst your bubble but FTP has bought many more players to the game,the server telon is alive and kicking.FTP has bought many new players to the game,it hasn't been like this since release.

You are being stubbern and because of that you are actualky missing a revival in the game.Yes their are a few lag problems but none are game breaking.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

SOE has three downfalls with all there mmo's

1) Low to no advertisement. Releasing new expansions as if they are new games, thats about the extent.  With Vanguard SOE was stuck....They didn't know what to do.....Vanguard was already a full game.  Justifying an expansion would not work.

2) They don't fix there mmo's, only look ahead.  EQ2 is still a mess to this day, the next expansion may be better but they would not spend resources fixing anything.  The trial Island had to be done for Vanguard, that was about it.  Fixing stuff is out of the question, a big no-can-do.

3) They have a big head.  They still think SOE mmo's are a house hold name like World of Warcraft. The fact is, no one knows unless your a fan of mmo's like us.....Go to work and ask anyone about Vanguard or Everquest.... Your answer will be, " WHAT !!!"

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

LOL

Umm i have been real mad at SOE since SWG pre-cu.

Vanguard was just another failure that SOE failed on, failed when they first took it over, and fromthe looks of it failed on the new F2P reboot.

Lolipops !

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by delete5230

F2P games are short lived last attempts for any mmo.  After all who plays them ?....only F2P band wagon jumpers.  They get what they can for free, then gone when the next one comes out.

RF Online went F2P and is still active, infact RF Online was the first MMO to go from Pay to Play to Free to Play. DDO and LOTRO are also Free to Play and both are still active. When Lineage 2 went Truly Free to Play(their term not mine) the amount of people that came back caused the Game Servers NPC Servers and Account Servers to crash. It also forced NCsoft to open 2 new servers to accomidate the influx of players. Then their is Guild Wars which has always been Free to Play. So your assumption that F2P Games are "short lived last attempts for any mmo" is wrong.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

oh!   -  its free now ??

Yea, I havnt received any notification from soe about it (i had a CE account) and the first I've heard about it is here!

Shame, I was going to play it,  but if they arnt advertising then I dont care.  VG needs population, without its just a desert.  (Its a dry heat)

Originally posted by sadeyx

oh!   -  its free now ?? Yea, I havnt received any notification from soe about it (i had a CE account) and the first I've heard about it is here! Shame, I was going to play it,  but if they arnt advertising then I dont care.  VG needs population, without its just a desert.  (Its a dry heat)

Lol,did you read my post? The pupulation is thriving since FTP.You dont want to play it thats fine but dont use population as an excuse when the population has risen ten fold since FTP.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Sylvarii

oh!   -  its free now ??

Yea, I havnt received any notification from soe about it (i had a CE account) and the first I've heard about it is here!

Shame, I was going to play it,  but if they arnt advertising then I dont care.  VG needs population, without its just a desert.  (Its a dry heat)

Lol,did you read my post? The pupulation is thriving since FTP.You dont want to play it thats fine but dont use population as an excuse when the population has risen ten fold since FTP.

if true i can imagine how bad it is... the trouble with F2P is that it often only draws in people who have no real interest in the game itself.. odd as that may sound.. maybe in a few months it will be worth looking at again.. but tbh.. i don't see it. image

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    So you love Vanguard but you haven't logged into the FTP model but you are sure it's the final nail in the coffin.

The poll couple probably have been worded a little differently. Something like:

RAWR RAGE I HATE DIFFERENT RAWR $OE TALKING POINTS?

1. I am completely irrational.
    2. I am making some of this up.
    3. All of the above.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Phry

oh!   -  its free now ??   Yea, I havnt received any notification from soe about it (i had a CE account) and the first I've heard about it is here!   Shame, I was going to play it,  but if they arnt advertising then I dont care.  VG needs population, without its just a desert.  (Its a dry heat)

if true i can imagine how bad it is... the trouble with F2P is that it often only draws in people who have no real interest in the game itself.. odd as that may sound.. maybe in a few months it will be worth looking at again.. but tbh.. i don't see it. image

Lol you are never going to be convinced so why waste your time even posting,save your finger working for something you are interested in lol.

To be honest the community is just as polite and helpfull as ever but you are never going to be convinced.Don't bother logging in down the road,it's your attitude that we don't want in the game.

no no.... you guys mis-understand me.

If SOE cant even be botherd to tell people who actually bought VG and might actually be interested in playing, then what does the future hold?

Sure it might be busy now... but unless something dramatic changes, history will repeat itself.

• EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244

F2P games are short lived last attempts for any mmo.  After all who plays them ?....only F2P band wagon jumpers.  They get what they can for free, then gone when the next one comes out.

That is simply wrong, there are plenty of success stories out there about games going f2p. You can be mad, you can think soe is evil bla bla, but some of your points just makes you clueless.

Their advertisement seems to be piss poor though. For example - none of my rl friends who played vanguard knew about the f2p conversion before I told them.

• GamefunGamefun Member Posts: 290
    Vanguard has been dead for years, why moan about it now?. You are right though, SOE buys out MMORPG games and destroys them, they've been doing this for several years. SOE and EA are the two companies I will never buy from again. The only thing in there mind is greed.
  • GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519
    this will be moved to official soe hate thread good try though
  • SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by Gamefun
    Vanguard has been dead for years, why moan about it now?. You are right though, SOE buys out MMORPG games and destroys them, they've been doing this for several years. SOE and EA are the two companies I will never buy from again. The only thing in there mind is greed.

Pretty much THIS^^^^^^^

However I will probably buy another $OE product because they always somehow manage to maske a few more dollars off of me everytime I say I am done. lol.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

When they bought the game from Sigil and decided to just release it in current shape they doomed the game from the start.

If they would have fixed it up first and then released it things might have been different but since nothing more than a complete revamp and a new release with a different name would have worked.

Vanguard fans might complain all they want, but fact is that no other larger publisher would have kept the game running all this time.

It is too bad because the game is actually pretty fun, but you cant release a MMO in this shape, it was worse than AoC and that game suffered the same fate.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

Vanguard was terrible from beginning to end, F2P or no. Unplayable at launch followed by years of insignificant updates ending with scalping a few bucks bringing Brad back just to send him and the money to the EQNext project, which of course, will be ruined by SoE's greedy cash shops.

If you supported VG for any extended length of time you either have no MMO standards or you don't mind a greedy company bending your over on a below sub par game.

• kingotnwkingotnw Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Vanguard is my favorite MMO of all time. The fact that it is F2P is a great thing, because now there is once again a population, and tons of the people who came back to play for free are now mothly subscribers... Nail in the coffin??? Don't know what you are smoking. Vanguard is pretty healthy now. I'm in there every day too.
    Originally posted by kingotnw
    Vanguard is my favorite MMO of all time. The fact that it is F2P is a great thing, because now there is once again a population, and tons of the people who came back to play for free are now mothly subscribers... Nail in the coffin??? Don't know what you are smoking. Vanguard is pretty healthy now. I'm in there every day too.

I agree.

But why should I spend another few months getting back into it if its going to die again?

You dont seem to understand that nothing has changed.   Until SOE at the very least communicate with people that bought the game, there is no reason to beleive it will ever change.

I get emails from SOE about planetside 2, DC and even freerealms!  But they wont send me a letter saying I can now player Vanguard?  The only SOE mmo that I have ever actually bought!

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by Ozreth
    Meh, for every person like you there is a person like me who actually came back because it's free, loves it again and will stick around and probably pay.

Maybe per every 5-10 people like him, there is one of you. If lucky.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,764
    This wasn't really SOE fault, they did what they can with it.
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    need a option poorest CS in the business, note to SOE it wasn't the 20 bucks it was your CS departments attitude that ensured I will never spend another dime on any of your products. Lost a 6 year customer in 10 minutes of phone conversation

I miss DAoC

• RribRrib Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by kingotnw

Healthy? Who's smoking what? The game still crashes back to the character screen when too many (30 or more) people enter the same 'chunk'.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

I think the game is one of the best themeparks out there today and thats with occasionally going LD.

And yes, get a subscription.. the F2P and not being able to equip blues makes it more like free-2-try.

I dont mind paying a subscription for any mmo- Been doing it since 1999.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
      As someone who plays mmo's about 10-15 hours a week I am thrilled they brought this back in F2P form, If you want you can still sub or pick and choose from the item shop. Great game, Great job Sony