Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lesbian Gay Bisexual Trans-sexual (LGBT) - why is this a bad thing for guild formation?

KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

We're all different, this much is clear.  But sometimes it's a hinderance, especially when it comes to forming a guild.

LGBT people want to form a guild exclusive to them, so what?  Why are so many opposed?  It doesn't affect them.

Wouldn't it help the community to gather like minded people together?

Just as a side note:

Wow at one time restricted and banned a player for advertising a LGBT guild, several years ago.  The uprise was immense, and Blizzard was faced with a cival lawsuit.  Blizzard appologized and "allowed" LGBT friendly guilds. http://kotaku.com/159536/blizzards-reaction-to-gay-guilds-an-unfortunate-mistake

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Comments

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    What brought this on?
  • SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by Karteli

We're all different, this much is clear.  But sometimes it's a hinderance, especially when it comes to forming a guild.

LGBT people want to form a guild exclusive to them, so what?  Why are so many opposed?  It doesn't affect them.

I can understand it-

Sexual Orientation and race and religion should not even be an issue with a Guild in any way shap[e or form.

Look, I cannot make a "Straights Only Guild" or a "Black Only Guild" and advertise it as such (obviously you can have anyone in your guild who you wish and could still make a Guild like such)- So whats good for the goose.

Its like Orwell said in Animal farm. "All Animals are equal but some Animals are MORE equal than others..." This is becopming the case. 

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

My opinion - people can make whatever guild they want to, and invite whatever players they want  to. If a LGBT guild only wants to invite LGBT players, fine by me.

The only question I have is how will they be able to tell who is or isn't LGBT? My guess - they invite anyone who will tolerate thier conversations and lifestyle regardless if they are actually gay or not.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

I can understand it-

Sexual Orientation and race and religion should not even be an issue with a Guild in any way shap[e or form.

Look, I cannot make a "Straights Only Guild" or a "Black Only Guild" and advertise it as such (obviously you can have anyone in your guild who you wish and could still make a Guild like such)- So whats good for the goose.

Its like Orwell said in Animal farm. "All Animals are equal but some Animals are MORE equal than others..." This is becopming the case. 

Well you can not justify a race only guild .. but someone can justify a gender preference only guild, because of stuff dealing with biology and genetics that are beyond their control. (As it stands, that is)

You can fault someone for being racist, but you can't fault anyone for being lesbian/gay.  It's how the cards flew years ago.

• drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535
    Originally posted by Ausare
    What brought this on?

was wondering the same thing...

Anyhow I don't see why you would think having the same sexual preferences mean your "like minded." I'm straight and I hate many straight people so I'd imagine the same is true for gays and lesbians.

I really don't see why sexual preference would ever come into play when creating a guild, but if you want to make one then go for it I don't think anyone will stop you.

Thought race was genetic and biological?
    Thought race was genetic and biological?

Good thinking .. more :-)

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I can understand it-

Well, but people can make "women only" guilds. Or "only 30+" guilds, and so on. What's the difference between that and a lgbt guild?

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

Well ncaap does not full accept whites so they must be racist according to you.

Games do not want to be political tools. You are now asking them to pick and choose ideals. It is better to stay neutral and allow none.
    Originally posted by maji

I can understand it-

Well, but people can make "women only" guilds. Or "only 30+" guilds, and so on. What's the difference between that and a lgbt guild?

There are LGBT guilds though .. to my knowledge there aren't any 30+ only guilds.  Or Indian guilds, white, hispanic, negro ,etc.

Originally posted by maji

I can understand it-

I see a difference. A huge one in fact. But it matters not-

Let me ask you this- Why advertise your sexual orientation or crossdressing desires via a "guild tag:" in an MMO?

Also note I am not saying that I care one way or another (I really dont- I would avoid joning that guild though-) but I am explaining why people would take issue with it. I have a problem with anyone broadcasting personal issues .  Pretty soon we will have S&M Gyuilds, Guilds for "watersports" and scatt.

Keep it in the real world or take it second life.

-Its my opinion for what its worth. You asked.

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

Because its close minded of THEM to assume that I'd not be like minded simply because I am straight.  The bottom line is that we play games to have fun as escape the world outside.  Ya know, that ugly place where people hate each other and we spend most of our time slaving away for someone else to be rich just so we can afford to play games.  By bringing sexuality into the equation, its bringing us back to that real world and taking away from the fun, good natured, sport of gaming.  I don't want to KNOW what you're banging at nights.  I want you to tank the bloody dragon and get mah phat lewts.  But LGBT crap is like screaming into my ear, mid dragon tanking, "HEY WE HAVE SEX WITH STUFF AND WE DEMAND YOU ACKOWLEDGE IT".

I

DO

NOT

CARE.

I am playing a game....to have fun.  I already can't stand the elitist guild drama crap we deal with already.  Now I gotta worry if I'm banging the right people AND have a high enough gearscore to get in?  What happened to just playing a game?  Leave your personal junk at the door.  The worst thing, and I mean WORST, is that its not got anything to do with community building anyway.  See, there are regular people out there.  Some of em like to sex up men AND women.  Some like sexin up one or the other.  But they are regular people...with regular person thoughts and regular person desires.  So when THEY sit down to play, they are interested in the same things I am already.  They don't run about announcing it because it is both not my business and serves no point in their game play.  I know several people like that.  They wouldn't be in some LGBT guild because its petty.  The sort of person that has to paint their sexuality all over their personality in order to have an indentity isn't doing it because they want to break new ground.  They do it because they don't have an identity outside of their sexuality, and thats just sad.  They want attention, and they are doing all of this just to get it. 

I've got several gay friends.  I hang out with them because they have interesting things to say and have a personality I enjoy.  They don't run around screaming, "I AM GAY" at every turn.  In fact, they never really said it and I never really asked.  They just live the same way I do. Which is what normal people do. 

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

I've never understood the desire for reverse discrimination.  Complain, complain, complain about discrimination - and then - discriminate...

...it's tedious, to say the least.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

Originally posted by Gishgeron

Because its close minded of THEM to assume that I'd not be like minded simply because I am straight.  The bottom line is that we play games to have fun as escape the world outside.  Ya know, that ugly place where people hate each other and we spend most of our time slaving away for someone else to be rich just so we can afford to play games.  By bringing sexuality into the equation, its bringing us back to that real world and taking away from the fun, good natured, sport of gaming.  I don't want to KNOW what you're banging at nights.  I want you to tank the bloody dragon and get mah phat lewts.  But LGBT crap is like screaming into my ear, mid dragon tanking, "HEY WE HAVE SEX WITH STUFF AND WE DEMAND YOU ACKOWLEDGE IT".

I

DO

NOT

CARE.

I am playing a game....to have fun.  I already can't stand the elitist guild drama crap we deal with already.  Now I gotta worry if I'm banging the right people AND have a high enough gearscore to get in?  What happened to just playing a game?  Leave your personal junk at the door.  The worst thing, and I mean WORST, is that its not got anything to do with community building anyway.  See, there are regular people out there.  Some of em like to sex up men AND women.  Some like sexin up one or the other.  But they are regular people...with regular person thoughts and regular person desires.  So when THEY sit down to play, they are interested in the same things I am already.  They don't run about announcing it because it is both not my business and serves no point in their game play.  I know several people like that.  They wouldn't be in some LGBT guild because its petty.  The sort of person that has to paint their sexuality all over their personality in order to have an indentity isn't doing it because they want to break new ground.  They do it because they don't have an identity outside of their sexuality, and thats just sad.  They want attention, and they are doing all of this just to get it. 

I've got several gay friends.  I hang out with them because they have interesting things to say and have a personality I enjoy.  They don't run around screaming, "I AM GAY" at every turn.  In fact, they never really said it and I never really asked.  They just live the same way I do. Which is what normal people do. 

Well said-

I think you summed up my feeling quite well along with the Post below you speaking of reverse discimination.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434

It is from Charles Heston -- I marched for civil rights with Dr.King in 1963 - long before Hollywood found it fashionable. But when I told an audience last year that white pride is just as valid as black pride or red pride or anyone else's pride, they called me a racist. I've worked with brilliantly talented homosexuals all my life. But when I told an audience that gay rights should extend no further than your rights or my rights, I was called a homophobe. I served in World War II against the Axis powers. But during a speech, when I drew an analogy between singling out innocent Jews and singling out innocent gun owners, I was called an anti-Semite. Everyone I know knows I would never raise a closed fist against my country. But when I asked an audience to oppose this cultural persecution, I was compared to Timothy McVeigh.

Where can i start my pro tibet guild...the dog owners guild...the republican guild...vegan only guild...etc.
  • avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

"Its like Orwell said in Animal farm. "All Animals are equal but some Animals are MORE equal than others..." This is becopming the case. "

Nailed it right there.

Where can i start my pro tibet guild...the dog owners guild...the republican guild...vegan only guild...etc.

LOL- I will join the Free Tibet and Dog lover Guild.... I will TROLL the Vegan Guild by sizzling a juicy Steak and putting my microphone next to the skillet. =P

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

I agree, if they are going to allow LGBT guilds, they need to allow for guilds of all types of players. Of course that would open a pandora's box, so I'm sure it will never happen.

I always wanted to start a previously divorced men who are in thier 30's with girlfriends who are without kids and going back to school guild. The PDM3039WGWOKBTS guild.

Good responses .. but why do people actually care if someone forms or joins a LGBT guild?  Really it's the individual's business, not their peers.

I remember the anger and trolling of some one advertising a christian only gw2 guild here awhile ago.
    I do not really think the players care that much. I think the game cares due to issues all these specific entry guilds create. Problems in appearance and in legal liability.
    I do not really think the players care that much. I think the game cares due to issues all these specific entry guilds create. Problems in appearance and in legal liability.

Wow at one time restricted and banned a player for advertising a LGBT guild, several years ago.  The uprise was immense, and Blizzard was faced with a cival lawsuit.  Blizzard appologized and "allowed" LGBT only guilds. http://kotaku.com/159536/blizzards-reaction-to-gay-guilds-an-unfortunate-mistake

• DalmontDalmont Member UncommonPosts: 272

We had a pre op transexual in our guild....he cut his own nuts off one night and this disturbed the younger members of the guild.

It disturbed the older members too....

But he/she was a normal member of the guild and noone cared other than that. he/she didn't scream look at me (other than the nuts thing).

Sexuality shouldn't be an issue and if you want a pick up guild then there are plenty of GM's who run their guilds like that.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Well ncaap does not full accept whites so they must be racist according to you.

Games do not want to be political tools. You are now asking them to pick and choose ideals. It is better to stay neutral and allow none.

I am afraid I have to agree with that, either is all political and religious groups in or none.

And I frankly think nazi guilds and similar would be really bad.

I have nothing against gays or transexual people at all, but games dont need that debate. If such a group know eachother and forms a normal guild on the other hand it is fine, friends joining up a guild is no problem at all.

This discussion has been closed.