Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What happened to this ArenaNet?

Comments

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by thekid1
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Don't forget the Manifesto video's blatant lies: "You affect things around you in a very permanent way"  Which events had permanent effects again?  Which towns "stay saved"?

I do believe towns can stay captured though. If no one triggers the event to recapture it. Not sure.

There are a lot of people running around so events never fail and get triggered every 5 minutes.

Not at 3AM.   I had to solo Nebo Terrace to recaputure it from the Centaurs two nights ago.   Then I had to go back Ascalon Settlement (where the trigger for Nebo Terrace was located) and recapture it.   For Ascalon Terrace, I soloed the first of the three re-capture areas.   Then some other showed up and, eventually, it got to a dozen as we finished off the final boss.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    Originally posted by Tardcore
    Originally posted by TheIronLegion
    Originally posted by aesperus

Honestly, some of you guys are being waaay too melodramatic about things.

Most of what was quoted in the OP is actually true. Dungeons absolutely can be cleared with 4 people (and I've done it on multiple occassions, both before AND after the patch). This applies to both explorable AND story modes. Furthermore dungeons do have different types of paths. TA's paths branch whereas CMs are choses at the beginning. Could this be tweaked to be made more interesting? Absolutely, but to say they lied about it is a bit extreme.

Perhaps the only thing in the OP that I can agree with is the lack of customized skins for storymode gear. This is something that a lot of people have been pushing for since release, and to be fair I have noticed Anet sneaking in adjustments to the skins of the dungeon armor. I'm hoping that they will get around (soon) to making the yellow gear look more unique, or at least different for each dungeon. Perhaps even a less badass looking version of the exotics. However, I wouldn't list that as a 'serious issue' in the grand scheme of things.

If you look at the big picture GW2 has been hammered with quite a lot of issues right out of the gate. They've been prioritizing dealing w/ hackers, fixing broken skill points, fixing issues w/ sPvP, etc. etc. Heck, even the final boss fight is bugged atm (Zhaitan). They have a lot of stuff on their plate atm.

These are all issues that need to be fixed, and I do think people should keep pushing for Anet to fix them. However, calling them liars is a bit of an overreaction.

I agree 100%. Let's see everyone post their perfect AAA MMO that they built...Anyone?

Ah that wonderful refuge of just trying to blanketly discredit the critics rather than postulate a counter argument of your own. Why don't you give us a call back once you can actually give us what YOU think and not just arrogantly tell the rest of us what WE are ALLOWED to think.

That's a quote right there that can be said about many of the "critics" out there too who are pulling stuff out of their ass without actually saying anything, just some generalising statements that hold no value.

Oh it most certainly can be. In my case however I'm criticising TheIronLegions direct insinuation that one must have created, in his words "A perfect AAA MMO" in order to have the right to criticise anyone elses. An Idea I find patently absurd. Where as YOU are critiicising ... er oh I guess YOU are just pulling stuff out of your ass without actually saying anything. Just some generalising statements that hold no value ... UNLESS one supplies an ACTUAL example. AS I DID.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Oh it most certainly can be. In my case however I'm criticising TheIronLegions direct insinuation that one must have created, in his words "A perfect AAA MMO" in order to have the right to criticise anyone elses. An Idea I find patently absurd. Where as YOU are critiicising ... er oh I guess YOU are just pulling stuff out of your ass without actually saying anything. Just some generalising statements that hold no value ... UNLESS one supplies an ACTUAL example. AS I DID.

Indeed. You don't have to run a (perfect) dairy farm to realize the milk you're drinking is sour. And you don't have to be a game developer to see obvious flaws in the game you're playing.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Originally posted by parrotpholk
    Don't forget the Manifesto video's blatant lies: "You affect things around you in a very permanent way"  Which events had permanent effects again?  Which towns "stay saved"?

shhhhh your not supposed to notice such things

Play the game. There are times communities stay saved for a very long time, hours.  But, like a real world, war doesnt stay away for too long.  No reasonable person was naive enough to think we'd be playing a game in strawberry the shortcake land.  

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Ah that wonderful refuge of just trying to blanketly discredit the critics rather than postulate a counter argument of your own. Why don't you give us a call back once you can actually give us what YOU think and not just arrogantly tell the rest of us what WE are ALLOWED to think.

Extra 25 points for being both spot on and entertaining in 2 sentences or less.

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269

Most of what was quoted in the OP is actually true. Dungeons absolutely can be cleared with 4 people (and I've done it on multiple occassions, both before AND after the patch). This applies to both explorable AND story modes. Furthermore dungeons do have different types of paths. TA's paths branch whereas CMs are choses at the beginning. Could this be tweaked to be made more interesting? Absolutely, but to say they lied about it is a bit extreme.

Perhaps the only thing in the OP that I can agree with is the lack of customized skins for storymode gear. This is something that a lot of people have been pushing for since release, and to be fair I have noticed Anet sneaking in adjustments to the skins of the dungeon armor. I'm hoping that they will get around (soon) to making the yellow gear look more unique, or at least different for each dungeon. Perhaps even a less badass looking version of the exotics. However, I wouldn't list that as a 'serious issue' in the grand scheme of things.

If you look at the big picture GW2 has been hammered with quite a lot of issues right out of the gate. They've been prioritizing dealing w/ hackers, fixing broken skill points, fixing issues w/ sPvP, etc. etc. Heck, even the final boss fight is bugged atm (Zhaitan). They have a lot of stuff on their plate atm.

These are all issues that need to be fixed, and I do think people should keep pushing for Anet to fix them. However, calling them liars is a bit of an overreaction.

I agree 100%. Let's see everyone post their perfect AAA MMO that they built...Anyone?

Oh I did that already. Why don't you scroll up and find out for yourself...unless you've forgotten how to use the mouse scroll-wheel. I posted this merely minutes after I posted my "Opinion". At that point I was simply agreeing with that persons statement. Am I not "allowed" to agree with it. Are you telling me what I am ALLOWED to think?

See what I did there...

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by RizelStar

Personnel Story

The moving story of a human resources department ;).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by Creslin321

Personnel Story

Oh Creslin...always catching funny missteps. :P

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by Creslin321

Personnel Story

Oh Creslin...always catching funny missteps. :P

Idk.. personal story is iffy at best. You might not find the people who are gone from your personal story, but at the same time they have messed up a few things in personal story that kinda irk'd me.

*SPOILERS*

For instance I had to choose between a hospital and an orphanage, I choose the hospital and when I went back to the orphanage it blew up in my face and crumbled to the ground. I left my story place and came back later, and the orphanage was back, like nothing ever happened. Mind you I don't want burnt corpses of orphanes lining my streets, but hey, I want at least some indication that my decision mattered by having a blow up orphanage in my home town.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Oh I did that already. Why don't you scroll up and find out for yourself...unless you've forgotten how to use the mouse scroll-wheel. I posted this merely minutes after I posted my "Opinion". At that point I was simply agreeing with that persons statement. Am I not "allowed" to agree with it. Are you telling me what I am ALLOWED to think?

See what I did there...

Oh I read all that, and actually agree with you and the previous poster, that is why I didn't highlight the "I agree 100%" portion of your quote, just the silly strawman argument portion. Whether a person criticising the game has made an MMO themselves, perfect or otherwise bares no relevence on their ability to criticise it. You can disagree with their opinion but your strawman argument just automatically gainsays any opinion they might have.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/guild-wars-2-the-kitchen-sink-post/2/

Some snippets:

"Flannum told us that players higher level than a dungeon returning to it will be strong enough that good players “could definitely finish the dungeon with less than 5 players."

Nope, Story and Explorable Mode dungeons are already hard enough with 5 people. CM Story, which was considered easy, just got a huge difficulty increase.

"We tried to really vary each of them quite a bit so we actually don’t fall into a pattern where it’s like ‘Well, Explorable is like there’s three different paths you can take.’ That is true sometimes, but sometimes there’s three different ways, or sometimes it’s multiple ways, not even three, maybe four ways. Sometimes it branches in the middle, sometimes it branches right at the beginning."

So, which dungeons have branching paths again?

"In Story Mode, you’ll receive weapons that are comparable to those on the surface, but have a look unique to the dungeon in which they were found"

Sorry, no. The gear you get from Story mode is just basic gear. Guess they changed to Explorable mode.

"Our basic philosophy is that you should never complete a piece of content and get something you don’t want. So it’s going to be the case where you go through and are guaranteed to get a piece of gear that you didn’t have before, and that you’re going to want.” So, you’re guaranteed to get a piece of gear every time you do a dungeon? “Yes.” Sweet"

Holy crap, so utterly wrong. This isnt just a system change but a basic philosophy change.

"More specifically, we were told that weapons will come from story mode (one run = one weapon) and the rest of your armor will be earned from explorable mode."

Wrong again.

This is the Guild Wars 2 I was sold on. ArenaNet did go back on their word and they did abandon their philosophy. ArenaNet is no longer ArenaNet.

The fact that they just made changes shows me that they still have work to do. How many games that have been out for years go back and make changes to please their customers. It's fine by me because GW2 is still young, if this was 3 years later i would be worried.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522
    Originally posted by Xiaoki ArenaNet did go back on their word and they did abandon their philosophy. ArenaNet is no longer ArenaNet.

Although I agree that some mentioned features aren't available, they are just that, features. Calling it abandoning their philosophy and no longer being Arenanet is a bit strongly exaggerated wording for some features that got changed before launch or weren't finished in time.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I love the game, but I agree on Dungeons. Who ever is responsible for the about face on Dungeon Rewards should not be working on this game, or should take a week off to figure out how they ended up taking the exact wrong path in game design that actually threatens to ruin what is a key part of the game for some people.

We really don't need a gear grind. They knew it and said they were building a game with no grind. I'm still playing my level 80 and it has nothing to do with gear grind. The gear grind is hampering my ability to just enjoy playing the game the way I want to play it.

Seriously. The original design philosophy was correct. Stop giving into the temptation to revert to old paradigm thinking!!!

They were also wrong on adding a sense of "permanence" with locked in trait point distribution. The originally promised freedom was the way to go. This old school thinking is a cancer that threatens to limit the success of the game and it's time to excise it.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/guild-wars-2-the-kitchen-sink-post/2/

Some snippets:

"Flannum told us that players higher level than a dungeon returning to it will be strong enough that good players “could definitely finish the dungeon with less than 5 players."

Nope, Story and Explorable Mode dungeons are already hard enough with 5 people. CM Story, which was considered easy, just got a huge difficulty increase.

"We tried to really vary each of them quite a bit so we actually don’t fall into a pattern where it’s like ‘Well, Explorable is like there’s three different paths you can take.’ That is true sometimes, but sometimes there’s three different ways, or sometimes it’s multiple ways, not even three, maybe four ways. Sometimes it branches in the middle, sometimes it branches right at the beginning."

So, which dungeons have branching paths again?

"In Story Mode, you’ll receive weapons that are comparable to those on the surface, but have a look unique to the dungeon in which they were found"

Sorry, no. The gear you get from Story mode is just basic gear. Guess they changed to Explorable mode.

"Our basic philosophy is that you should never complete a piece of content and get something you don’t want. So it’s going to be the case where you go through and are guaranteed to get a piece of gear that you didn’t have before, and that you’re going to want.” So, you’re guaranteed to get a piece of gear every time you do a dungeon? “Yes.” Sweet"

Holy crap, so utterly wrong. This isnt just a system change but a basic philosophy change.

"More specifically, we were told that weapons will come from story mode (one run = one weapon) and the rest of your armor will be earned from explorable mode."

Wrong again.

This is the Guild Wars 2 I was sold on. ArenaNet did go back on their word and they did abandon their philosophy. ArenaNet is no longer ArenaNet.

You do understand that an MMO gets updated right? And that no MMO can always make everything as "promise"?

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Originally posted by SirFubar

You do understand that an MMO gets updated right? And that no MMO can always make everything as "promise"?

A developer or publisher should never say something that is not true or not in the game.  Why do you think Turbine is in such hot water right now from their fans.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143
    Originally posted by StanlyStanko

Lalalalalalalalaaaaa

As this was about the personal story, what are you guys complaining about.

given, its not that clear from the Manifesto video, but ArenaNEt went out puplic to clear it out, just after they released it. So i will call it ignorant to stay stucked in that. And who in their right mind would want permanent changes in the dynamic part of a game ??

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by eggy08

Idk.. personal story is iffy at best. You might not find the people who are gone from your personal story, but at the same time they have messed up a few things in personal story that kinda irk'd me.

*SPOILERS*

For instance I had to choose between a hospital and an orphanage, I choose the hospital and when I went back to the orphanage it blew up in my face and crumbled to the ground. I left my story place and came back later, and the orphanage was back, like nothing ever happened. Mind you I don't want burnt corpses of orphanes lining my streets, but hey, I want at least some indication that my decision mattered by having a blow up orphanage in my home town.

Yeah, that could have been solved with a little basic MMO magic. Letting it look like a ruin just for the poeple who made their choice like you would have been nice.

Then again, it might just be something they missed, the game have just been out for 3 weeks. It is something I like them to fix, but not as a top priority thing.

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418

Haha, posted this on the GW2 forums. My post was infracted for calling out Anet.
    What a joke!

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

Jay Wilson shapeshifted into a familiar face to get into ANet HQ and now

he is using mind control on the crew, forcing them to pull off bad decisions.

Aren't you thankful?

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by jondifool

Lalalalalalalalaaaaa

given, its not that clear from the Manifesto video, but ArenaNEt went out puplic to clear it out, just after they released it. So i will call it ignorant to stay stucked in that. And who in their right mind would want permanent changes in the dynamic part of a game ??

I blame it on GW2 fans who just couldn't zip it. In order to hype the game they twisted a lot of things said by Anet. This is just one of many example. Other two i remember are 3500 unique events and i never ever found one credible source of this info. I forgot count how many times i read this.

Another example is gear means nothing in PVP and low level player  is on same footing as lvl 80. But now we know it is not true and gear and level does matter. Later on the excuse was..we were just talking about SPVP. Right!!

I don't blame ANET, it is the fans who know no bounds when praising GW2 to ninth heaven...twisting the facts and making their own version of what Anet said.

• ThraliaThralia Member Posts: 219
    Originally posted by halflife25

Lalalalalalalalaaaaa

I blame it on GW2 fans who just couldn't zip it. In order to hype the game they twisted a lot of things said by Anet. This is just one of many example. Other two i remember are 3500 unique events and i never ever found one credible source of this info. I forgot count how many times i read this.

Another example is gear means nothing in PVP and low level player  is on same footing as lvl 80. But now we know it is not true and gear and level does matter. Later on the excuse was..we were just talking about SPVP. Right!!

I don't blame ANET, it is the fans who know no bounds when praising GW2 to ninth heaven...twisting the facts and making their own version of what Anet said.

u can only give part of the blame to the fans.anet made many cocky n even arrogant statements  (i saw a bunch of on massivly) and their manifesto vid is full of lies and 2 millions fell for it.

its same old basicly..telling lies to sell your product.. well same old for companys that have to go to such lengths

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Everyone can tell that I'm a huge GW2 fan, but I must agree with OP. Dungeons dissapointed me big time. I didn't expect they will be so grindy, and sick hard. Hard is good, but not this. If you can't do a dungeon without a wipe even with a well coordinated team with good gear, that what the hell. If I spend 2 hours (sometimes more) to do explorable mode, then I expect some decent reward, but no, I end up with 10-30 silver less than before, because of armor repairs >.> And the fact that I need to repeat the dungeon for 59 times more doesn't help at all.

As for other parts of the game, I'm satisfied.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Originally posted by Thralia
    i am loving this thread ! epic fail arena net and everyone still trying to hide their lies..so glad i didnt give u monez

Yet you can't leave go and move on to whatever is actually going on in your life?

If the game isn't suited to you - although how you judge that without even playing it - then walk away. People have different tastes, some will like a game, others will like another one - it's no big deal.

Find the one you like and enjoy it. If you can't find any, then maybe the problem is the person and not the genre.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by halflife25

Lalalalalalalalaaaaa

I remember a thread talking about a person using 45 key binds. and there being so many choices. I realize now they were counting every possible weapon combination and presenting it as if you could *switch weapons" (tricky tricky) on the fly and use all of these.

Thinking about it now, I wonder if this has something to do with me feeling the real ability system is limited. I'm going to look for the thread.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • NormikeNormike Member Posts: 436
    Originally posted by JudgeUK
    i am loving this thread ! epic fail arena net and everyone still trying to hide their lies..so glad i didnt give u monez

Yet you can't leave go and move on to whatever is actually going on in your life?

If the game isn't suited to you - although how you judge that without even playing it - then walk away. People have different tastes, some will like a game, others will like another one - it's no big deal.

Find the one you like and enjoy it. If you can't find any, then maybe the problem is the person and not the genre.

bitch PLEASE i played first 2 BWE and  that is enough to know the game is nothing special at ALL.

dont assume if u dont know shit next time.

It's high quality buy-to-play MMO that doesn't put missions/quests and gear in a cash shop. It's free to play and the only things in the cash shop are conveniences and gear cosmetics. That's pretty special to me. The world vs world (WvWvW) is the best large-scale PvP in a while for MMOs. And the PvE is surprisingly up to par with other MMOs.

I've been disappointed by past F2P games that put actually quests, character abilities, and gear in their cash shop. LotRO and Star Trek Online for example. So far GW2's cash shop hasn't gone down that road.

And I don't remember reading this article. It would be nice to get one weapon or piece of armor per run that was unique to that dungeon.