Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I give up! Pick my future MMORPG on September 25th

KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

Is it me? It must be cuz I'm suffering from MMORPG burnout... $ is not an issue, yet I can't find a single MMORPG that's appealing to me. I know I also haven't been looking enough in the asian market.

I like to play a MMORPG where can I progress a character to become something more, something greater for a meaningful purpose ahead. I want to play a MMORPG that can keep me busy having fun any time in the day in the entire week of the entire month. I remember skipping so many classes and courses through school just to play Ultima Online or SWG Pre-CU

I had a goal in UO to have a nice house or even a castle on a good location to run a shop with vendors that could be also used for my friends as a safe haven when being outnumbered. With fully open world and full loot reputaiton meant a lot. Players could choose their own paths good or bad and different decision had different experience. The game had a combat that both gear and skill played significant role. The game had events going through all the year, people had fun in taverns, played mini games, decorated their lovely homes and collected many rares. Now that was a truly roleplaying massive MMO.

SWG was not much different, but only better with far more classes and far more planets to travel to. SWG was best thing that happened to the genre. If you were a powerful jedi you were famous, you were demanded and people wanted to be on your side. With coverts anywhere ready to attack and bounties chasing you all over the place, there was true war going on and people had guilds and working together to survive and conquer.

Now this is the best part, both of these truly massive MMOs with player owned houses and so many classes also featured high quality PvE with dungeons and bosses. Only reason why both of these MMORPG's went downhill in the long run was from changes that came inside by the developers themself in the long run. UO also didn't have 3rd party programs  to run scripts and macros with a single key.

I blame these MMORPG's for ruining my taste for most other MMORPG's avaliable today. The complexity, the thrill, the immersion, the massive aspect is just not there. So I must ask the community is there anything at least remotely close to UO/SWG?

As mentioned above $ is not an issue. I just want to play a MMORPG where I can progress my chr for a greater purpose in the virtual world. Easily obtainable titles, mounts or other achivements that do not directly help my character in anyway are not much meaningful to me. SWG-Pre CU had achivements as well. They were called "badges"

Regardless, on Sept 25th I must play a MMORPG! I'm a MMORPG player and always will be. Since I cannot find joy in anything avaliable or maeby missing something or some reason to play it, I'll let the community to pick my MMORPG home. On Sept 25th I'll pick the MMORPG that was mostly recommeded in this thread. If you suggess Farmville and it gets the most thumbs up Farmville it will be. I'm ready to play useless, meaningless and on rails MMORPG's over nothing.

So I'll cya guys on Sept 25th in whatever MMORPG gets the most votes. Knowing this community from past I have pretty good idea where I'll end up, but then I might flip a coin between top 2 votes, cuz that's what Two Face would do.

Comments

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649
    It's kind of funny, because I only see a single game on that poll that comes close to meeting what you appear to be looking for...hrmm.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Go sign up for repop testing man.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• lucasdeislucasdeis Member Posts: 59
    swtor of course,
  • truthhurtstruthhurts Member Posts: 74
    SWG featured high quality PvE?  That seems a bit generous to say that IMO
    Originally posted by truthhurts
    SWG featured high quality PvE?  That seems a bit generous to say that IMO

If you consider anything that's not PvP as PvE... crafting, housing, and all the rest...

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

No Hello Kitty Online-

Flawed Poll is flawed.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

RIFT.

Best fantasy MMO currently, I just dont play it because of my low spec PC, even though I got the CE box and all store upgrades. :/

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

No Hello Kitty Online-

Flawed Poll is flawed.

Since poll is limited to 10 choices, I could only include as much, but I'll be counting all other recommendations in this thread as well and Hello Kitty Online just got one :D

No Hello Kitty Online-

Flawed Poll is flawed.

Somebody needs to make a Hello Kitty Online meets Sucker Punch game...

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464
    I need some help picking my game as well.  It has to be a game that is being released on the 25th.  What is the best game being released on the 25th of this month that I should spend my money on?
    Originally posted by slickbizzle
    I need some help picking my game as well.  It has to be a game that is being released on the 25th.  What is the best game being released on the 25th of this month that I should spend my money on?

FIFA Soccer 13's coming out Sep 25th... but if soccer's not your thing, there's The Testament of Sherlock Holmes too.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Rofl....looks like you'll be playing GW2 .

As for my suggestion, I guess you could try a F2P title like Mabinogi if you haven't tried it already (provided you can get past the graphics). I'd also suggest either Dofus or Wakfu (both P2Ps but there is a small area where players can play for free but is fairly limited)

FFXIV will be closing down on November 11th, and only players who have a sub ending in October will be able to play for free after  September 30th. So...that's probably out of the list. (It's closing down as it will launch the Alpha testing for 2.0 )

Pretty much all I can think of that hasn't been mentionned already. Oh, and I voted for EVE in the poll.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

EVE online.

GW2 isn't a bad game, but considering what you started out in, and the fact you want meaning, I don't see GW2 being the game. 

I personally want to reach a point in EVE that I can buy a couple of titans, then park them in obsuce system in EVE and see how long it takes before someone finds and steals them. 

PS:  Also, worst time to make such a thread.  If you had done it just after TSW released, you would have had mostly TSW votes.  You didn't even need to make the thread to know that GW2 was going to get the most votes, it's a no brainer given it was the latest released.  

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

MoP releases on the 25th. But I voted for TSW. :P

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Op pick the top 2

can always play the other when a mmo is having maintenance

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

Based upon what you said you liked (No Brainer):

EvE Online

If you are looking for fantasy you may consider:

Everquest 2

EQ2 has a LOT of depth and could keep you busy for a long time.  It's a themepark isn't very linear and doesn't feel boxed in even with zones.  Player housing (though instanced) is really broad and can be very time consuming.  Crafting is not just a click tough is a "whack-a-mole" style affair between durability and quality which there are tiers.  Quests can be very A typical and you have back and forth conversations with NPCs rather than a wall of text.  A lot of features.

Problems IMO are performace (depending on the seperate total gHz of your CPU cores) and spammy type combat from there being so many abilities after a time.

Vanguard

A massive and well done realistic world with a lot of races and classes.  Satellite style questing rather than linear and you have many places to go at most levels.  Crafting is very in depth, to a fault if you like one click crafting.  They recently overhauled the beginning for the free to play conversion so I'm not sure how abilities progress per level.  You can own plots of land in the world and build a house.  You can also build a ship and travel to any of the three continents since the gameworld is on one "plane".

The biggest problem with VG IMO is population and a dated UI which one may seem as retro and a positive.

I wouldn't recommend GW2 as much even though I really like the game.  Problem is it doesn't match the feel of what you said you liked.  That said GW2 is a great game and worth playing if you are looking for a fast paced themepark.  It's very engaging IMO.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    I'm bummed about TSW.  If they would have just gone in the hybrid direction with development, they could have had something special.  Niche, but special.  What a waste.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• pacov81pacov81 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    RIFT is a game you're lookin' for...image
  • LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    I voted TSW. They need the subs and I really don't think GW2 would agree with you. Perhaps WoW if that doesn't work out.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186
    Try Everquest 2.

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

Just do what I've decided to do, cancel all subs, uninstall all MMOs, and either go play outside or pick up a few single player games from steam.

Torchlight two is now out, which I'll start up once I'm done with a few chores and browsing my favorite forums.

As another forum poster has said, we are in the MMO dark ages, where creativity has been lost. Until they make the game that I want I'm done supporting this industry and will not be buying anymore games or expansions with the delusion that I'll get past it's faults.

GW2 was the straw that broke the camels back for me, I now know that nothing is going to change anytime soon.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by Kopogero

No Hello Kitty Online-

Flawed Poll is flawed.

Since poll is limited to 10 choices, I could only include as much, but I'll be counting all other recommendations in this thread as well and Hello Kitty Online just got one :D

Its funny that alor of us make fun of that game yet I doubt any of us have ever played it....It would be funny if that was our dream game that we'll never play because of its name.

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    I'm going to give age of wushu a shot. Comes out in mid October.
  • L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Eve sounds more like what you're describing of all the options, if you can put with being a spaceship and the steep learning curve.

Personally I'd say either GW2 or TSW, but mainly because it's what I'm playing right now (well, TSW is in suspense mainly because I already spent most of what venezuelan laws allow me to pay online yearly so can't pay for the sub for now), but they're both themepark heavy so probably not what you're looking for.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• MeGaTronPowerMeGaTronPower Member Posts: 80
    Did you even have to ask? of course it is wow mop. Its inevitable.