Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Meaningless?

Comments

• BrixonBrixon Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Wow, how suprising. A brand new forum account member, criticizing the latest MMO.
  • halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by FickserU

If you're happy stay, if you're not happy leave.  Remember you heard that here first.

If I am not having fun playing the game, then I am doing something wrong.  Back in the beginning (Dungeons and Dragons) we had to roll our characters; low rolls meant greater challenges in the future.  We did not "re-roll" to make our characters better, we worked harder and had more fun with what we had.  I try to find reason in EVERYTHING that is not "MY" way, those are the challenges.

...and in the end, Just try to have fun :)

Good luck with that message, MMO players nowadays have contracted entitlement sickness... they think because they paid for a game, they should be able to direct its development down to the pixel.  Where did this even come from?  And when?  Games used to be played and people used to compare them, sure, but they didn't curse the devs for not catering to their every whim like some digital chambermaid.  

Fact is, it's much too hard to find another game that suits your tastes, or you know, go to school for programming and make your own MMO with your own team, incorporating your designs into it instead of expecting every game to meet every standard you have.  Inevitably, someone's going to be disappointed with this kind of thinking.  So many people here criticize a game for not being another game when, if they looked around, there are *gasp* other games.  So GW2 is meaningless to you.  Play Tera.  So Tera is meaningless to you.  Play TSW.  So every MMO is meaningless to you.... congratulations, you'll be in good company on these forums.

Who are you and what have you done to Eir_S who ripped  SWTOR apart for months. So you finally realised that one game can not make everyone happy and that un necessary comparisons are just pointless and instead players should find a game which they enjoy?

Thank God!!

Even though i find it ironic you realised it now when people are flaming GW2. But better late than never right?

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by Brixon
    Wow, how suprising. A brand new forum account member, criticizing the latest MMO.

Umm. ok.   Well I will loan him my "Account Prestige" since I agree with him on all his points.

Happy ?     <snicker>   Apprentice Member Brixon     :P

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428

Good luck with that message, MMO players nowadays have contracted entitlement sickness... they think because they paid for a game, they should be able to direct its development down to the pixel.  Where did this even come from?  And when?  Games used to be played and people used to compare them, sure, but they didn't curse the devs for not catering to their every whim like some digital chambermaid.  

Fact is, it's much too hard to find another game that suits your tastes, or you know, go to school for programming and make your own MMO with your own team, incorporating your designs into it instead of expecting every game to meet every standard you have.  Inevitably, someone's going to be disappointed with this kind of thinking.  So many people here criticize a game for not being another game when, if they looked around, there are *gasp* other games.  So GW2 is meaningless to you.  Play Tera.  So Tera is meaningless to you.  Play TSW.  So every MMO is meaningless to you.... congratulations, you'll be in good company on these forums.

I agree with your agrument in spirit but sadly in practice it is much harder than it seems.

The current MMO market is buried in Easy Mode, Casual, Adventure's DayCare games so many MMO players have no where to go and their only option is to continue the grass root movement of getting the word out that the current game direction is flawed, vapid, meaningless, boring, challengeless,etc....

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by rutaq
    Originally posted by Brixon

Umm. ok.   Well I will loan him my "Account Prestige" since I agree with him on all his points.

Happy ?       Apprentice Member Brixon     :P

might as well add my "prestige" to it as well....

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Jackdog
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer  
      Because he paid as much for the game as you. These are MMOs, they are on going and they evolve. In light of recent developments, it's obvious that the game experience you have one day will always be the same going forward. So he has as much right to let the developers (or anyone else who is openly discussing the game) know what he's pleased and displeased about in hopes of getting it changed.
    do you really think they will redesign the core game to be another WoW clone? This ain't SOE yopu know and I think even SOE learned thier lesson with SWG. Seriosly for those whose idea of a perfect game is EQ/WoW design there are a lot of games for them to play. Like I said some of us are glad to see a game that is notr a EQ/WoW clone

So, for that reason, we aren't allowed to speak about it?
  • gtmaster32gtmaster32 Member Posts: 24

Well, I'm just a casual player, and I play maybe an hour a day and a few on the weekends, but I've been playing an Engineer for 5 days and I'm only level 15, but I currently love it, I like going into WvW with some guildmates and pwning some nubs, like a boss =p. The seige is expensive, but i figured out that you can use Badges to spend on seige, which has cirrently been saving me a lot of money.

Also the jumping puzzles are great and i still have more to do. The rewards for exploring are good too, I saw you said you got like 50c from exploring a map, but that's not correct because the first place you can discover as a Human is Queensdale, and I got 24s 40 jute scraps, which helped a lot since im Leatherworking, and a masterwork pistol, which was also awesome.

But that's just me.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Aerowyn
      Because he paid as much for the game as you. These are MMOs, they are on going and they evolve. In light of recent developments, it's obvious that the game experience you have one day will always be the same going forward. So he has as much right to let the developers (or anyone else who is openly discussing the game) know what he's pleased and displeased about in hopes of getting it changed.
    true but don't be surprised if people don't want the changes you are asking for and are happy with how the game turned out. Forums have always been a very vocal minority so if most people are ingame having fun who are you going to listen to as a developer? Who knows what's best and not? I thought NGE destroyed SWG but sure many wanted those changes. Point is you can't really judge the state of any game and what should or shouldn't be changed by a group of angry people roaming the forums.  This is the sort of vision I like in a dev http://www.arena.net/blog/is-it-fun-colin-johanson-on-how-arenanet-measures-success and believe this game is a product of this vision and the future looking forward looks good for this game imho.

So then we are only allowed to voice ourselves when it lines up with public opinion? Otherwise we are told to go away and shut up. Well, if that's the case, someone should make a forum site and call it PositivelyMMORPG.com and then they can dictate the nature of the content

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    If a game feels meaningless to you, then its obviously not for you..games are all about fun factor, if its not providing u with fun, then its time to move on to something else.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Originally posted by FickserU

If you're happy stay, if you're not happy leave.  Remember you heard that here first.

If I am not having fun playing the game, then I am doing something wrong.  Back in the beginning (Dungeons and Dragons) we had to roll our characters; low rolls meant greater challenges in the future.  We did not "re-roll" to make our characters better, we worked harder and had more fun with what we had.  I try to find reason in EVERYTHING that is not "MY" way, those are the challenges.

...and in the end, Just try to have fun :)

Who are you and what have you done to Eir_S who ripped  SWTOR apart for months. So you finally realised that one game can not make everyone happy and that un necessary comparisons are just pointless and instead players should find a game which they enjoy?

Thank God!!

Even though i find it ironic you realised it now when people are flaming GW2. But better late than never right?

Hey I admitted I made a mistake judging SWTOR before I played it, but I never went out of my way to say that because when I finally did play it and didn't enjoy it, that MMOs were doomed or that the fans were stupid for liking it.  I made the same mistake with WoW, but in contrast I ended up loving it for years.  Sometimes I feel like slapping myself for writing that last part, but it's still true. 

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506

I can't believe this thread is still going, lol. 

Some of us like it, some of us don't. Some of us like it for a little bit, and some of us love it long time.

Fair enough?

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by R3volv3R

MMorpgs were about continuity, about getting challenged to be better, play more, trying to achieve something that seemed impossible at the begining.

That's true for some people... for others it is about having a group activity that all of you can do together regardless of geographic location... For others it is about RPing... For others it is about looking as epic as possible...

How about GW2? 

You reach 80 in like 10-15 days, u get the best available equipment easier than any other game.

Definitely, and this is by stated design. They said right from the beginning, that a gear treadmill(you must do this over and over to be able to do more content) is counterproductive. Your statemetn is also misleading. You don't get the "best available equipment" as if there is only one set... There are multiple iterations with(in theory) every possible variation of stat combinations. Sure, I could easily get a set of Vit/Pow/Condition damage gear, but what if I want Vit/Toughness/Pow? All of the gear at a tier is equally powerful, but the stat distribution is not the same, and for some distributions it will be really painful to get a full set with the optimal distribution for your build.

You cant make any money by farming or using the TP (spending 20g to get 21 isnt money making...)

Actually you can... but most people don't do it.

Everything is about dyes and better looking armor as if it is a fashion show.

Except for a few of the dyes, almost all of them are cheap as dirt on the TP. Buy what you need. As for it being a fashion show, people want to look badass and epic. If that is not for you, too bad, but for others it is. You don't need to participate in that portion.

Every mob is aggro, so you have to kill everything to get pass through an area even if you are 60 lvl higher due to lvl scale.

Or just run through and ignore them. If my level 80 is running through a lvl 20 zone, I can pretty much just ignore anything I run through... Most of the time I don't as I find the combat fun and stopping to kill sometimed keeps me still long enough to find DEs and stuff, but when I am going somewhere I don't need to bother. Not sure where this comes from, but I sincerely doubt you've ever been 60 levels higher than an area, given what you are saying about it.

Jumping around like a goat to get vistas for a mystic coin. 

Vistas don't give you mystic coins, they give you experience and credit towards map completion.

Having 100% explored for 50 copper and a blue trash item.

Ah, finally... proof. 100% explored would be one zone, and nothing else... not 100% explored, 100% of 1 zone.

If you only got 50 copper and a blue trash item I would like to know where you explored, since 100% in one of the starting cities gives you significantly more than that. 100% completion of any of the PvE zones also gives you 40 crafting mats, a consumable(mystic coin, transmutation stone, etc), and 2 items, as well as a huge chunk of xp, and significant money(i.e. finishing straits of desolation gave me 44 silver).

100% of the entire map gives you even more items and money and xp, as well as 2 unique items required to make legendary gear.

If you got a blue trash item and less than 5s for completing a zone, you are talking about one of the starting towns, and you are probably around lvl 5.

Dungeons are a joke and rewards even bigger joke.

Gross generalization, and no specifics... there isn't even anything here to address.

No raid bosses that require strategy and months of preparation.

Wow, tell me what other game has a boss that requires months of preparation? Unless you are talking gear grind until you can get to the next tier of gear... And that isn't preparation, that is gear gating.

You want to talk strategy? Try doing Citadel of Flame on story mode, and tell me that you don't need strategy for the last boss...

WvW should be about getting a castle with your guild and keep it for a certain amount of time until someone sieges you. (like lineage2) .

Guess what, they do have that... Most of the guilds are a) not high enough to care about it yet and b) not organized enough to bother.

Spvp without ranking system? i know better looking items...

The problem isn't that you don't like the game, the problem is that you are basing this entirely on misinformation... So let's add in proper information here.

There are 3 DIFFERENT types of SPvP.

1) random quick join matches

2) unofficial tournaments

3) official tournaments

All of those contribute to the SPvP level, and that does increase and opens up PvP titles, distinct looks, etc.

For #1, there is no ranking because that is not a ranked format... That is like someone in a baseball or hockey league complaining that your league ranking didn't change because you joined a pick-up game in the park. #2 and #3 are both ranked...

Equality ruins every MMO.

If you are talking about PvP, equality only ruins it for people who aren't very good... They need an unfair advantage.

If you are talking about PvE, every MMO already provides equality.

I mean one who is a good player or plays many hours should have more benefits from one who is bad or plays less.

One who is a good player DOES have more benefits. If a good player and a bad player meet up in sPvP or WvW, the good player has a significant advantage.

Similarly, someone who has more time will get exotic and legendary gear first(and yes, legendary has better stats than exotic, exotic has better than rare, rare better than masterwork, etc.). 

Im still searching for an mmo without instances, with decent graphics,strategy, where your actions matter and there are consequences when u kill/die.

So you want an fully open world sandbox open PvP game with something like permadeath or the shadowbane system where your gear degrades and can only be repaired so much before it goes poof? Good luck.

Enough with these mainstream carebear games!

I don't think putting everyone on equal footing in an arena is carebear.

I don't think skill based PvP is carebear.

Can you please define what YOU mean by carebear? 

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

true but don't be surprised if people don't want the changes you are asking for and are happy with how the game turned out. Forums have always been a very vocal minority so if most people are ingame having fun who are you going to listen to as a developer? Who knows what's best and not? I thought NGE destroyed SWG but sure many wanted those changes. Point is you can't really judge the state of any game and what should or shouldn't be changed by a group of angry people roaming the forums.  This is the sort of vision I like in a dev http://www.arena.net/blog/is-it-fun-colin-johanson-on-how-arenanet-measures-success and believe this game is a product of this vision and the future looking forward looks good for this game imho.

So then we are only allowed to voice ourselves when it lines up with public opinion? Otherwise we are told to go away and shut up. Well, if that's the case, someone should make a forum site and call it PositivelyMMORPG.com and then they can dictate the nature of the content

That hasn't been my point and I don't think it's Aerowyn's either.  My point has been, if you like a game but have some critiques of it.  By all means let yourself be heard.  But keep in mind that the best place to voice your opinion is on the official forums, especially if you follow the rules of those forums.  On the other hand, if you try a game, and you find you don't like the most basic aspects of that game (lore, gameplay, graphic design, PvP, etc.), why the hell would you bother going on an unofficial site and complain about it?  Write that $60 off as a loss and move on to a game you do like. 

And definitely don't try to get a game changed to your style if your style doesn't fit with the dev's intent for the game.  If there are no raids in the game, and it was known beforehand there would be no raids, why would you complain there are no raids?  And why shouldn't the people who love the idea of no raids have to accept you trying to change a game they love so it suits you?

Anet made a game and had no secrets about what they intended.  Many of us fans bought into their idea and many of us love it.  Why should we accept someone coming in and saying, "I think it should have this or that", when this or that is exactly what we don't want?  Especially when this or that is available in so many other games?

That's why I say go find a game you like and stop trying to ruin mine.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by evolver1972
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer   Originally posted by Aerowyn Originally posted by GeezerGamer    
    That hasn't been my point and I don't think it's Aerowyn's either.  My point has been, if you like a game but have some critiques of it.  By all means let yourself be heard.  But keep in mind that the best place to voice your opinion is on the official forums, especially if you follow the rules of those forums.  On the other hand, if you try a game, and you find you don't like the most basic aspects of that game (lore, gameplay, graphic design, PvP, etc.), why the hell would you bother going on an unofficial site and complain about it?  Write that $60 off as a loss and move on to a game you do like. 

Does that not defeat the whole premise of this website to voice your video game experiences?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

And definitely don't try to get a game changed to your style if your style doesn't fit with the dev's intent for the game.  If there are no raids in the game, and it was known beforehand there would be no raids, why would you complain there are no raids?  And why shouldn't the people who love the idea of no raids have to accept you trying to change a game they love so it suits you?

Anet made a game and had no secrets about what they intended.  Many of us fans bought into their idea and many of us love it.  Why should we accept someone coming in and saying, "I think it should have this or that", when this or that is exactly what we don't want?  Especially when this or that is available in so many other games?

Actually, that's where you are saying Don't post negatively about games I like.

How is he ruining your game by posting his opinion in a public forum?  If you don't like it, don't read it.  Or better yet, block him or something else....but don't tell him he can't post his opinion if it follows the rules of this forum.  

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    If you want meaning in an MMO and want to make a difference / change the environment.... quit MMO's and join the real game called LIFE.   I hear it can be quite meaningful and you can make a difference. For me MMO's are to get away from reality and put me in a new world. 

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Tokken
    If you want meaning in an MMO and want to make a difference / change the environment.... quit MMO's and join the real game called LIFE.   I hear it can be quite meaningful and you can make a difference. For me MMO's are to get away from reality and put me in a new world. 

EVE online disagrees with you.

Originally posted by Nitth

Does that not defeat the whole premise of this website to voice your video game experiences?

Not in my opinion.  I use this site to talk about topics that interest me, such as games I like.  I don't play WoW because of the sub fee.  So, I don't go on WoW's thread and talk about them changing their business model to suit me.  I didn't like Mytheon.  I stopped playing the game and didn't even bother with commenting on it because it was the gameplay itself that was the problem for me.  I like GW2 and LotRO so I've talked about them.  I'll critique them on this site when things are done I don't like and if I feel it's necessary to talk about it.  (I'm not going to cry that I didn't get enough gold from a boss or something like that unless it's a bug in the game)

Each game on this site has a review (or hype) area.  These are the areas you can state your opinion, good or bad, about a particular game.  You can also state those opinions in a game thread if you want.  What I'm getting at is:  If you don't like the game and there really isn't a way you're going to like the game without fundamental changes in how it plays or looks or whatever, why bother creating threads about it?  What purpose does it serve other than to call attention to yourself?  I just don't understand the thinking behind not liking a game and yet continuing to talk about it. 

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Originally posted by Uhwop

I disagree with you. It's a gank fest

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

Which is exactly what they do on the official forums.  And, it also depends on what those features are.  If they say from the beginning they aren't going to have gearpower progression, but then implement it because the vocal minority demanded it, would they not then be hypocrites?  Would they not also alienate their fanbase?

They could increase their player base (read profits) greatly if they made compromises to their original design. they wouldn't be the first company to do it either.

The key thing here is to be open minded with changes and compromise. but it appears the 'real fans' bang their drums hard in fear of change.

Besides, what's the problem with voicing those concerns here?

think about what happened to games that strayed so far from their original design... take swg or daoc or many others.. once the change happened people left in droves. Many people got this game for what it is and are happy with it..when you try to cater to a small vocal % of the population you get things like what happened to swg.

And yet games like wow flourished both in profits and population.

Now you might say, WoW gets a bad wrap for its community but that cant be universally equated to design change.

Fact is millions of people seem to enjoy it and pay monthly instalments (sometimes for years) to play it.

Btw: Im not staying turn gw2 into world of Warcraft. im saying community requested features or alterations may be profitable and good.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Not in my opinion.  I use this site to talk about topics that interest me, such as games I like.  I don't play WoW because of the sub fee.  So, I don't go on WoW's thread and talk about them changing their business model to suit me.  I didn't like Mytheon.  I stopped playing the game and didn't even bother with commenting on it because it was the gameplay itself that was the problem for me.  I like GW2 and LotRO so I've talked about them.  I'll critique them on this site when things are done I don't like and if I feel it's necessary to talk about it.  (I'm not going to cry that I didn't get enough gold from a boss or something like that unless it's a bug in the game)

Each game on this site has a review (or hype) area.  These are the areas you can state your opinion, good or bad, about a particular game.  You can also state those opinions in a game thread if you want.  What I'm getting at is:  If you don't like the game and there really isn't a way you're going to like the game without fundamental changes in how it plays or looks or whatever, why bother creating threads about it?  What purpose does it serve other than to call attention to yourself?  I just don't understand the thinking behind not liking a game and yet continuing to talk about it. 

Good opinion.

Now lets talk facts: this website can facilitate a way to voice your video game experiences and opinions. You can do this if you abide by the rules of the website

Originally posted by grimal

Actually, that's where you are saying Don't post negatively about games I like.

How is he ruining your game by posting his opinion in a public forum?  If you don't like it, don't read it.  Or better yet, block him or something else....but don't tell him he can't post his opinion if it follows the rules of this forum.  

No, I'm not saying that.  I'm saying if you have a genuine critique of a game you like, by all means voice your opinion.  Of course I will tell you that you'd be better served voicing that opinion on the official forums.

And...I wrote that stuff in response to people complaining about voicing my opinion on what the OP should do.  I told him (as did many others), "hey you don't like the game, fine.  move on"  That was met with "You don't like change!" and "You don't think he should voice his opinion!" To which I replied, if he doesn't like the game, why is he continuing to talk about it?

And finally, why wouldn't I tell him to stop trying to ruin a game I love.  He (and many others) is posting this apparently in the hopes that people will agree with him and get the game changed to his liking.  Or, if the OP doesn't feel that way, many of the people who responded certainly do.  I don't want that to happen.  I like the game mostly the way it is.  Especially the fundamentals behind it.

That's why I said stop trying to ruin the game.  And I'd still love to hear why people still want to talk about a game they obviously don't like and never will unless it becomes the exact opposite of what it's supposed to be.

Good opinion.

Now lets talk facts: this website can facilitate a way to voice your video game experiences. You can do this if you abide by the rules of the website

Yes.  I get that.  You can make an ass out of yourself on this website if you want.  You can also write reasoned, thoughtful posts as well.  As long as you follow the rules.

Yet, no one has answered my question:  Why do you feel the need to talk about a game you don't like and never will unless it becomes it's own opposite?  Sure you CAN talk about it all you want.  Buy why would you WANT to.

Yes.  I get that.  You can make an ass out of yourself on this website if you want.  You can also write reasoned, thoughtful posts as well.  As long as you follow the rules.

Yet, no one has answered my question:  Why do you feel the need to talk about a game you don't like and never will unless it becomes it's own opposite?  Sure you CAN talk about it all you want.  Buy why would you WANT to.

Because people like to converse?

Its not black and white all the time, its not 'us against them' if someone says they don't like x y z aspects of a game it does not mean they 'don't like game'.

If they came on here saying 'gw2 is a POS' then i could see how you could be annoyed but listing a whole area of your concerns is not the same thing if they are truthful thoughts and experiences.

Likewise people like to vent their frustrations, its a healthy thing.

Finally, and possibly something you might not want to hear: They believe that change is needed and are looking to see if it resonates with people.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Uhwop

I disagree with you. It's a gank fest

I would have to disagree with you, but this isn't a conversation for this thread.