Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

State of the game, worth playing ?

Played when it was pay to play and havent touched it since, i have a rule about not touching F2P :P , whats the population like, content ?

Comments

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Originally posted by Dicehunter
    Played when it was pay to play and havent touched it since, i have a rule about not touching F2P :P , whats the population like, content ?

STO is a fairly "meh" experience once you get into the meat of the game play. Nothing significant has really changed since your last play session. Oh, there are fleet starbases now that require ludicrous amounts of Dilithium to upgrade. The F2P model has made it even more of a "milk-the-player base model" in that anything useful is placed in the c store.

C-store items seems to be what Cryptic considers content these days, as most of the additions to the game end up in the C-store or in a lock-box. I don't necessarily like how much they put into the C store in relation to what goes into the game for free. And tell me how trading Dilithium makes sense in the Star Trek world? You want actual story content with a point to doing it? Your best bet is foundry missions, which Cryptic seems to rely on more and more.

The population would seem to be high as the sharded structure of the game presents the illusion of a high population by limiting the player cap in any one area. Sure, it looks like there are a lot of people playing because cryptic crams them all together in low population shard.

If you have an itch for space combat then this game is pretty good in that regard. If you want a genuine Star Trek experience, then look elsewhere. Cryptic has effectively ignored the point of Star Trek and what made it so appealing and important to the Sci-fi genre and has taken the IP to be used as an online store with a Star Trek skin attached.

• ScribbleLay1ScribbleLay1 Member Posts: 177
    I rely can't say if it is worth playing or not, I have a lifetime sub but have not been on since it went F2P, I never got into that shoot first stuff, just not what Star Trek was all about. However if someone wants to trade another game with a lifetime sub I will gladly trade.
  • RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

They published a rather lengthy State of the Game today, which gives a good idea of the recent changes and additions to the game, as well as the future direction they are taking.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=689581

In addition to the hiring they've been doing over the last year, they've recently picked up some people from both 38 Studios and Paragon.

Regarding the population, the single-server architecture they've always had makes the game always feel well populated.  There does seem to be plenty of people still playing.

Overall, the game has improved a lot since launch, in my opinion, and is headed in the right direction for the future.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• Hell_HammerHell_Hammer Member Posts: 75

I got into it completely out of the blue, mainly because it was F2P.

To be honest, it was fun for a while, but then I switched to GW2.

Now I don't know what it used to be before, so can't really compare but I had a few nice runs here and there.

Lots of people all over, but I don't really think it's anything special.

The ground missions are particularly repetitive and tiresome.

Well, at least it's free - download and see what you think :P

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

You know, I had a blast playing through it a few times on each side to cap.  I'm not really an endgame kind of guy, so I was definitely put off by what is the fastest leveling that I can remember.  So either doing STFs or doing the same (quite literally repeating almost any mission in the game over and over and over to gear up myself and my crew) missions was not really my thing - it burned me out fast.  I was enjoying PvP until they did the P2W console thing.  I haven't PvP'd in forever though, so I have no idea what's going on with that currently.  If not for the Foundry, I'm not sure that I would play it every now and again like I do...

...then again, it could be the music.  I like the music.  Hrmmm...

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• ScribbleLay1ScribbleLay1 Member Posts: 177
    You are right, the music was/is very good.
  • VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Having PvP'd again over the weekends, I find myself wanting to make the argument that it's been swallowed in the P2W quagmire.  While I was on an alt in a lowbie Kerrat, some folks were trolling a guy in one of the 50's to get his heap out of there and go buy a real ship.  It's kind of sad how it's about the various c-store ships and the consoles...

...still though, it's hard to really make the P2W argument when winning really doesn't matter.

Folks are still doing their pseudo AFK who cares type of play in Arenas, C&H, and Kerrat.  They're there for their 3 fights and the Dil.  They don't care if they win or lose.  They just need to be there...

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459
    Originally posted by Dicehunter

I picked this up when it went F2P on Steam and i will say that i enjoyed the run through to L50 but the game does lack a certain something in direction so when i hit cap i had a sort of lost feeling and as has already been touched on in this thread, if you want any of the 'cool' stuff you will have to pay for it.

The one thing i did find really annoying (and the reason i haven't been back in a while) was the constant not so subtle prodding to spend money. Details are a bit hazy as it was a while back, but basically there was an event where boxes dropped that could have special items in, but of course you had to spend money to open them. It wouldn't have been so bad if just one or two of these boxes dropped every now and then but the things were dropping like rain and for some reason it just really niggled me so i put it away for a bit and haven't been back since.

On topic though i found that the population was pretty healthy and for the most part helpful so i would say that if you enjoyed it before it can't do any harm to have it on your PC as a 'go to when bored' alternative to whatever else you are playing.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

I enjoy logging in every now and again to run up some Doff missions. Is a pretty fun diversion actually. Been level capped for a loooooooong time and I don't raid so.................

Try it. You might like it.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Do you mean Lockbox Online?

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• JedicowboyJedicowboy Member UncommonPosts: 140
    i play when ever i can, but i also play other games as well.  I enjoy it alot and i plan on getting a lifetime sub when i get the chance to.  All i can say is, try it if you like it get it and play it, if you dont, simple move on.  No ones holding a gun to your head telling you what or what not to do, that is YOUR DECISION.
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Zekiah
    Do you mean Lockbox Online?

lol

+1

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    How is the space stuff? I'm looking for something more than swtor but a bit less than Eve I just don't have the dedication for a game like that right now.

I used to love earth and beyond for reference.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    How is the space stuff? I'm looking for something more than swtor but a bit less than Eve I just don't have the dedication for a game like that right now.

I used to love earth and beyond for reference.

Space stuff? It's the final frontier I guess :)

I'm not familiar with E&B, so I can't make a compraison, but in STO space is a huge part of gameplay. Since you play a captain, you can command any kind of ships, and can switch betwen them (basically switching roles for space combat). Builds are the same, it's somewhat matters how you train your captain, but it has bigger importance how you equip your actual ship and how you train your bridge officers to the ship.

Or if you mean "space stuff" as control and handling... you can warp into sector space, travel to every quadrant of the galaxy, exploring clusters, you can transwarp, etc. It's not 'true' 3D, you can't do a full loop for example, but it handles pretty well. Sometimes in a bigger fight it's even better to have a fixed up-n-down, easier to navigate :)

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Sorry, posting from my phone so space stuff was easier to get out lol

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    I have a question, and I don't really think it is important enough for its own topic.  Do you have to do the land missions?  Is it possible to go through the game only in space?  Aside from story would one be missing anything by doing this?  I was in beta waaay back and really despised the land/planet based missions.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by niceguy3978

I have a question, and I don't really think it is important enough for its own topic.  Do you have to do the land missions?  Is it possible to go through the game only in space?  Aside from story would one be missing anything by doing this?  I was in beta waaay back and really despised the land/planet based missions.

Definitely you can. You can either lvl up through encounters or do fleet ops.

I am not a big fan of ground combat as well but it got definitely improved since release.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Its worth playing casually once in a while, hardcore is a no no.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

IMO the bottom line is that STO is fine for a one month adventure through the old content played casually and without spending a dime. It is not a long term MMO to invest yourself in and to be frank outside of costuming it doesn’t represent Trek as an IP well anymore. The game has changed a lot since launch. I would say that it was at its most fun to play point just prior to the take over by PWE. It’s becoming more and more like PWE’s other games if you understand.

PVE has taken a turn purely toward grinds and the Trek story experience has been dropped outside of the old content. New content is either Zen Shop or about grinding various token currencies and dilithium for gear or fleet projects. The problem here is that there is nothing challenging enough or fun enough to warrant the sort of grind they are requiring of players for the rewards on tap.

Everything you do in the game boils down to a DPS race and the tactical class is survivable and versatile enough not to need support classes like engineers or sci officers in PVE activities. It doesn’t matter what ship you want to fly as you can have a pal train BOFFs where needed. Playing anything else (aside from an alt for kicks) will handicap you or your team in the time it takes to grind levels, tokens, or in meeting the optional objectives for top end missions. Understand that the Klingon faction is now unsupported and only retained as an option for play.

PVP is a pay to win activity dominated by pre-made teams with Zen Shop consoles or ships. 95% of the current player base does not bother with it per DEV quotes. However, it also dictates game re-balancing in patches.

Crafting is worthless as you can buy the same consoles you could craft on the exchange cheaper than what it would cost you to craft them by hand with zero time or grind investment. The high end crafted Aegis set has fallen behind the times and isn’t worth it at all now outside of cosmetic appearances.

It should be noted that in game currency costs (dilithium) are being raised to prevent you from saving them to buy Zen (shop credit.) The goal is to get you to spend real money for Zen to buy those in game currency within the game’s internal exchange to make it possible to do things in a reasonable time frame.

I used to want to love this game for blending space and ground action but it has become a shallow and hollow thing relying on image to hook you into spending cash for no real return on the dollar. I really hate writing that too man.

• Guess ill stick to Battlefield 3 and WoW then.
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

You can do space only but you'd have to skip all the story and most of the dilithium grinding and without those their isn't much left.  If you want space only i'd stick to eve or maybe vendetta.  If it's a must be f2p then maybe check out black prophecy tactics.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Definitely you can. You can either lvl up through encounters or do fleet ops.

I am not a big fan of ground combat as well but it got definitely improved since release.

If by "go through the game" you mean reach VA and endgame, it's possible I think, but then you miss the whole story (since episodes are mostly like regular Trek episodes, with both space and ground activites).

"Missing anything" I don't think so, except mission gear, but you can craft or buy gear for yourself. Of course you need to land on Memory Alpha for that, is that count as ground? :)

Actually it could be an interesting project to reach VA only in space (except visiting ESD when ranking up). It's maybe worth a try, if you have some free time. But you should give a second chance to your away team, there are a lot of improvement on ground lately (free aim, for once)

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    I was thinking about giving the game another go. Haven´t played it at all since launch. But I wonder about the PVP. B4 it was just some meaningless matches here and there. Have the PVP gotten any real purpose yet? Like fighting over planets or something similar. My question is. How is the PVP these days?
  • AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    It's been pretty well moribund since release . No changes have been made.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    LIke some of you, I have a lifetime sub.  Went back recently to check it out.  I immediately had this feeling of been there done that.  If you're looking to be reinvigorated, I believe you're in for a disappointment.  I think better gaming options exist currently.