Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Torchlight 2: Standing On Its Own Two Feet

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Perfect World Entertainment and Runic Games have reached a benchmark date with today's release of Torchlight 2. We've been playing the action-RPG and have a few impressions to share about our first few hours in Torchlight 2. See what we think and then leave your own ideas in the comments.

What makes Torchlight 2 very different from its predecessor is that the game world includes HUGE overland maps. Gone is Torchlight 1's dungeons only game play. The overland map in TL2 is packed with interesting and exotic places to discover as well as monsters to defeat. There are towns to visit (quest hubs of a sort) and other NPCs sprinkled throughout the map that will give side quests as well. Not only are bad guys roaming the map but so are bosses sprinkled in here and there. It's a terrific opportunity to gather gear and experience to level up and toughen up your character.

Read more of Suzie Ford's Torchlight 2: First Impressions - Standing On Its Own Two Feet.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

"Additionally, if you were disappointed by Diablo 3 this year, Torchlight 2 may just reaffirm your love of the ARPG genre."

I certainly hope so. D3 was my biggest letdown ever so it can't get any worse.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    glad to see its finally launched :)
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Looks just like d3 no thanks
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by Rockniss

may look like it but its not it..hopefully its a lot better..not too mention you get to play offline if you want to..now how nice is that.

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292

[mod edit]

I might just try this out because of the price and amount of game I get out of it. Shouldn't be hard to beat D3's 80€ for 1 week of excruciatingly forced gameplay.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by kevjards

may look like it but its not it..hopefully its a lot better..not too mention you get to play offline if you want to..now how nice is that.

You also get to place your own points and there's an easy, medium, hard mode (may be more modes, I'm not sure anymore), but nonetheless.....this is not like Diablo 3.  If I could have gotten my money back on D3, I would have.  D3 and Warhammer were my worst game disappointments ever.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,957
    Downloading and installing! :-P
    what time does it go live..anyone?..ty in advance
  • megaraxmegarax Member UncommonPosts: 269
    7pm GMT
    Originally posted by kevjards
    what time does it go live..anyone?..ty in advance

I am downloading and installing right now! :) So I guess it just went live about 15 minutes ago. :)

I first thought it would be another 45 minutes..... but I guess not hehe.

ROFL! They seem to have quickly suspended the download!  /facepalm

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

What! No RMAH!! No thanks!!!!!!!!

(I'm kidding...lolz)

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312

wow server overload......seriously has no one learned anything from first day downloads ever......companies...never cease to amaze me with inadequate preparations....

• wildtalentwildtalent Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Of all the betas I have ever participated in, this game impressed me the most from the start.  Too bad I'm dead broke or I would have bought this today.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382
    Started playing single player a while ago. Got my first unique at level 5. Game is even better than it was in the beta.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

You came into a torchlight 2 thread expecting a game that didnt resemble diablo 3? [mod edit]

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• AI724AI724 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    I want to play this game but I am not really into the art style of it :( too WoWish (Disney like)

Originally posted by Alphamojo

wow server overload......seriously has no one learned anything from first day downloads ever......companies...never cease to amaze me with inadequate preparations....

The whole Runic Website is down! Account management down!

At least we can play Single player offline lol.

• OhMyGothOhMyGoth Member UncommonPosts: 56
    After 2 hours of refreshing, i finally got the download page to load up and am downloading the game, at least i can play offline. Seeing how i only got one friend who purchased the game as well, there is no rush for me for online play. 

• MueslinatorMueslinator Member Posts: 78

I've played the Beta extensively, and as soon as it's available in my country (still 10 days...), I'll get it.

It boasts a more fluid combat than D3, a better character customization and it sticks to its atmosphere (where D3 zig-zagged between dark&edgy and 3 Stooges). It's also playable off-line, has LAN support AND moddability. Every single one something I missed in D3.

Best thing so far? The soundtrack is exceptional and not that uninspired blarf that Diablo 3 had. Oh, and how do I know that? Because it's a free download from Runic. Yes, the entire sountrack in quite nice quality (no flac, but variable bitrate mp3).

God, I still don't get how D3 managed more than 7.5 on a 10-point scale on ANY review site.

Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Alphamojo

The whole Runic Website is down! Account management down!

At least we can play Single player offline lol.

yeah they seem to have took a battering lol..but it dont stop you playing..unlike that other monstrosity.single player offline..yummee.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    Already purchased, but I won't be getting to it until I've grown bored of GW2 probably.  I enjoyed the first game though.  Nice time killer.
  • flynn444flynn444 Member UncommonPosts: 67
    TL2 has arrived at the perfect time: just as I'm growing really bored of GuildWars 2 and before XCom comes out early next month.
  • AilingforaleAilingforale Member Posts: 87
    I loved the beta and had this pre-ordered on Steam.  Many parts of this game just looks and feels better than D3 to me.  D3 wasn't horrible, but it wasn't a $60 game.  This seems more like the $60 game, but they release it at $20?  How could you go wrong with this game now that the joys of TL are now able to be played with buddies together in TL2?
  • samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 153

The demo is up on steam, Download is your usual steam speed (the DL from runic games website and its torrent Downloader is terrible).

Even if I'm quite burnout with this genre, I like all the little "improvements" over TL1 and (and much more over D3!)