Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 at 2M boxes sold, MOP double?

Comments

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Vunak23
    Originally posted by laserit
    Originally posted by Azrile

I may be short on my prediction.   GW2 announced that they had sold 2M boxes so far, with another 10 days until MOP.  I had predicted that MOP would sell double, in it´s first day (and only in the west),  than GW2 sold in the month leading up to MOP.  While most of GW2 occurred the first week, you gotta figure they are still pulling in 100k per week... so give them 2.3M boxes when MOP launches.

I don´t think MOP gets 4.6M sales, even 4.2 will be pushing it.

One telling thing though is how many people are riding around on the collector´s edition Mounts.  Not only does that indicate that a ton of people have already bought MOP, but that they paid $60 for it.  Those mounts are so common now that I wouldn´t even use it if I had it.

2M for GW2 is a huge number... but in reality, MOP will sell almost double that in 1 day to people who will also have to pay $15 per month, and that is only in the West.

I like Blizzard´s business model much better.

Putting the two games aside

OP please explain to me: Why you like Blizzard's business model better.

$15 a month versus $0 per month and both games you have the option to purchase items in a cash shop.

Me personally, I hate F2P games. Specially F2P games with an initial box fee. F2P brings in more money for a reason, its a greedy business model. I'm not a childso 15$ a month is no big deal,  I'm not so cheap that I can't scrounge together 15$ to support a company that is upfront with there player base. 

You know what the 15$ a month is going towards. Nobody is getting an advantage, everyone is on even playing fields. Servers are being maintained and content is coming in at a resonable pace. 

If you can't afford 15$ a month, or care to support a game company for 15$ a month then you need to work your priorities out. 

Well, your priority is to pay 15 dollars a month for a game. Some people feel that 15 dollars can be spent better in other ways. it is just different ranking of priorities. You may not be a child but your attitude about not understanding that people may not want to spend 15 dollar a month sub IS CHILDISH.

None of the models can really be called a greedy model - if the company can survive. We have seen many a sub game go down while a B2P game, like GW1 survived.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by laserit

I may be short on my prediction.   GW2 announced that they had sold 2M boxes so far, with another 10 days until MOP.  I had predicted that MOP would sell double, in it´s first day (and only in the west),  than GW2 sold in the month leading up to MOP.  While most of GW2 occurred the first week, you gotta figure they are still pulling in 100k per week... so give them 2.3M boxes when MOP launches.

One telling thing though is how many people are riding around on the collector´s edition Mounts.  Not only does that indicate that a ton of people have already bought MOP, but that they paid $60 for it.  Those mounts are so common now that I wouldn´t even use it if I had it.

2M for GW2 is a huge number... but in reality, MOP will sell almost double that in 1 day to people who will also have to pay $15 per month, and that is only in the West.

Putting the two games aside

OP please explain to me: Why you like Blizzard's business model better.

$15 a month versus $0 per month and both games you have the option to purchase items in a cash shop.

Me personally, I hate F2P games. Specially F2P games with an initial box fee. F2P brings in more money for a reason, its a greedy business model. I'm not a childso 15$ a month is no big deal,  I'm not so cheap that I can't scrounge together 15$ to support a company that is upfront with there player base. 

You know what the 15$ a month is going towards. Nobody is getting an advantage, everyone is on even playing fields. Servers are being maintained and content is coming in at a resonable pace. 

If you can't afford 15$ a month, or care to support a game company for 15$ a month then you need to work your priorities out. 

Well, your priority is to pay 15 dollars a month for a game. Some people feel that 15 dollars can be spent better in other ways. it is just different ranking of priorities. You may not be a child but your attitude about not understanding that people may not want to spend 15 dollar a month sub IS CHILDISH.

None of the models can really be called a greedy model - if the company can survive. We have seen many a sub game go down while a B2P game, like GW1 survived.

In a F2P game, someone is being greedy. The consumer or the company. Either the consumer isn't supporting the company by not buying anything, or the company is being greedy and the consumer is dumping loads on the cashop. 

Your misinterpreting what I'm saying. Yes I could think of a million other things I would rather spend $15 dollars on, but I am more willing to spend $15 dollars on a sub fee to support a game (I know what I am getting with this) then I am going into a F2P/B2P game not knowing if the person next to me spent a $100 on the game to buy gems and then sell those gems to buy armor off the broker, putting him well ahead of me. That is the defintion of P2W. 

Unless a Cashop is strictly Cosmetic, it will be P2W. 

P2P is the least greedy business model around. Sure the people that can't afford 15$ a month are going to be pretty pissed they can't access the game, but like I said, if you can't come up with 15$ a month priorities need to be rearranged because your probably unemployed. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• CrazerageCrazerage Member Posts: 18
    My thoughts exactly! We should all be happy there's more than one good mmo to go to.  I will support both guildwars2 and mop. 
  • JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    People aren't abandoning WoW because of GW2, heck GW2 won't even keep casuals busy for more then 3-4months. If MoP doesn't sell as well it's because people don't want to play Kung Fu Panda ripoffs made for 5 year olds.
  • rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by JimmyYO
    People aren't abandoning WoW because of GW2, heck GW2 won't even keep casuals busy for more then 3-4months. If MoP doesn't sell as well it's because people don't want to play Kung Fu Panda ripoffs made for 5 year olds.

I'm obligated to inform you that Blizzard had Kung Fu Pandas before Kung Fu Pandas existed in cinema. They officially are not ripping off Pandaria from the Kung Fu Panda movies.

Originally posted by halflife25

I bought 3 copies since i and both of my brothers are goign to play MOP at release. We are also playing GW2 together. But what i am getting is at a lot of  us can play both games at same time one being B2P and all. Why it has to be a competition between the two?

What will happen if say MOP outsells GW2 or if it fails to outsell GW2?

Because GW2 developers have declared it to be a competition with statements like, and I'm paraphrasing, GW1 was number two to WoW so now they want to GW2 to beat WoW.

• trenshodtrenshod Member UncommonPosts: 128

Blizzard is just better than Anet, they made a gimicky game that just gets boring. Annual sub that extends well past the release of MoP so I'm playing. Pre-orded the digital collectors and will continue to put money towards Blizzard games. I'll give it to Anet for bucking the normal system but I'm sorry they fell short on longevity. I can't motivate myself to play the game any more.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

P2P is the least greedy business model around. Sure the people that can't afford 15$ a month are going to be pretty pissed they can't access the game, but like I said, if you can't come up with 15$ a month priorities need to be rearranged because your probably unemployed. 

Wow, that is a hugely ignorant statement to make! I, and i would presume most other people (apart from you it would seem) will know someone who works damned hard in their life but still live on the bread line and in this day and age with the economy the way it is, it is through no fault of their own. Finding $15/month for a game would be the last thing on their minds, actually no, wouldn't even feature on a list of things to consider paying for when you are living hand to mouth and need to pay their rent/mortgage, gas, electric, water and local taxes before even considering how they will eat that month!

I really do hope that you never have to face that kind of hardship in your lifetime.

On topic, had my two copies as confirmed to be on their way to me, so here's looking forward to next week.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848

Originally posted by rygard49
    I'm obligated to inform you that Blizzard had Kung Fu Pandas before Kung Fu Pandas existed in cinema. They officially are not ripping off Pandaria from the Kung Fu Panda movies.
    And Im obligated to inform you that was in Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne.

Do you think any of the people saying "HUR HUR Kung Fu Panda rip off" even knew Warcraft existed back in 2003? Or were even old enough to play video games?

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Do you think any of the people saying "HUR HUR Kung Fu Panda rip off" even knew Warcraft existed back in 2003? Or were even old enough to play video games?

*shrug* They should be informed and corrected when they're making a false statement, whether through ignorance or intent.

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

What other people know or do not know, does not make you less wrong. 

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by Shadoed

Wow, that is a hugely ignorant statement to make! I, and i would presume most other people (apart from you it would seem) will know someone who works damned hard in their life but still live on the bread line and in this day and age with the economy the way it is, it is through no fault of their own. Finding $15/month for a game would be the last thing on their minds, actually no, wouldn't even feature on a list of things to consider paying for when you are living hand to mouth and need to pay their rent/mortgage, gas, electric, water and local taxes before even considering how they will eat that month!

I really do hope that you never have to face that kind of hardship in your lifetime.

On topic, had my two copies as confirmed to be on their way to me, so here's looking forward to next week.

What a crock. If someone has an internet connection and they're on hard times, they shouldn't be devoting time to videos games, they should be applying to jobs nonstop.  And if you're on such hard times that you're wondering where food will come from, it's time to call the cable company and have them turn off your connection. That's money that could be feeding your or paying your basic necessities.

You're looking at an extremely niche group who has just enough money to pay for basic necessities, and their only remaining disposable income is for an internet connection. On top of that tiny group, these poor people you're talking about are also MMO gamers.

If you have enough money for entertainment purposes, you would be well served to pay $15 a month for a video game or netflix as that is about the cheapest entertainment you can buy. If you are in a desperate situation like the one you describe, then you need to turn off that internet and go to the public library and use it for free.

• Scypheroth87Scypheroth87 Member Posts: 14

sooo GW2 sold 2 million ok....now how much has WoW sold? this includes Vanilla, BC, Wrath and Cata....who wins now? If your going to compair GW2 to WoW in sales mind as well includ the entire WoW game not just ONE single expansion.....so what is that then 14million? 20million sold for WoW? Like to see GW2 beat that....thought thouse numbers are just outta my head....

here r some real numbers not shur how accurate but shows wow has sold over 33Million copies of WoW including expansions TOTAL, makes GW2's 2 million looks like a poor man pissing in the wind....

http://www.statisticbrain.com/blizzard-entertainment-statistics/

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Scypheroth87

sooo GW2 sold 2 million ok....now how much has WoW sold? this includes Vanilla, BC, Wrath and Cata....who wins now? If your going to compair GW2 to WoW in sales mind as well includ the entire WoW game not just ONE single expansion.....so what is that then 14million? 20million sold for WoW? Like to see GW2 beat that....thought thouse numbers are just outta my head....

here r some real numbers not shur how accurate but shows wow has sold over 33Million copies of WoW including expansions TOTAL, makes GW2's 2 million looks like a poor man pissing in the wind....

Gotta figure no one comes close to WoW http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/32985/NCsofts_Annual_Revenues_Rise_While_Profits_Sink.php#.UFtMaFFuulA yeah... go blow your nose somewhere else junior before anyone whips out the Everquest stats, WoW is a shit clone of its predeceors while Guild Wars 2 is an iteration on the Lineage/Everquest model which improves it from every possible angle.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by Leethe

WoW has something like 6 million western players? Why would anyone not expect it to sell at least that much?

I realize this thread is some sort of pissing contest but is there anyone who really feels that  Pandaland will not outsell GW2? And why are we comparing a game to an expansion of an already existing game?

It's not difficult to understand.

ANET have already stated that they are aiming at simiar markets as WoW caters to.  With the new expansion five days away, this will be the first time anyone who watches the market can see if GW2 has any affect on WoW's expansion numbers, or on the other hand GW2 suddenly takes a dip in active players, after release.

Of course it's highly unaccurate, we are all just theorizing.  There are any numbers of other factors for retention or failing targets, which people could come up with.

As for the OP I'm doubtful it'll do as well as Cata did first 24 hours, which will make it difficult to gauge how many are sold, (publishers tend to not post numbers unless they've beaten previous records, so you may have to wait for the quarterly reports).  However I would say MOP will outsell GW2 eventually as frankly there are more Blizzard fanbois then haters and plenty of them, while not as enthuastic as previous expansions, will buy this MOP anyway.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• Scypheroth87Scypheroth87 Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by Scypheroth87

Gotta figure no one comes close to WoW http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/32985/NCsofts_Annual_Revenues_Rise_While_Profits_Sink.php#.UFtMaFFuulA yeah... go blow your nose somewhere else junior before anyone whips out the Everquest stats, WoW is a shit clone of its predeceors while Guild Wars 2 is an iteration on the Lineage/Everquest model which improves it from every possible angle.

donno if that was directed at me cuz i fuckign hate WoW...WoW took alot for Everquest and they admitted that in a video where they actually met and talked with EQ founders and how they influanced WoW alot...

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I know alot of people that I've played many different games with over the years.  Alot of them are from WoW.  I guess I make friends easily.  Across 4 servers, I have maxed out my RealID friend list, and I keep in touch with numerous others in MSN, e-mail, and ingame.  Alot of people that have left are planning, or have already returned (it's only 5 days away) to WoW.
  • ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459
    Originally posted by Rusque

What a crock. If someone has an internet connection and they're on hard times, they shouldn't be devoting time to videos games, they should be applying to jobs nonstop.  And if you're on such hard times that you're wondering where food will come from, it's time to call the cable company and have them turn off your connection. That's money that could be feeding your or paying your basic necessities.

You're looking at an extremely niche group who has just enough money to pay for basic necessities, and their only remaining disposable income is for an internet connection. On top of that tiny group, these poor people you're talking about are also MMO gamers.

If you have enough money for entertainment purposes, you would be well served to pay $15 a month for a video game or netflix as that is about the cheapest entertainment you can buy. If you are in a desperate situation like the one you describe, then you need to turn off that internet and go to the public library and use it for free.

OK, my example may have been a little extreme, but my point was who is he, me or anyone else to tell someone that they have their priorities wrong if they can't afford to pay $15/month for a game subscription, it is both arrogant and ignorant.

I have worked around the subprime credit markets for a long time and the one thing you learn very quickly is how much peoples priorities differ. There are things i would never spend money on in their situation, but they consider essential to their lifestyle and it isn't up to me or anyone else to tell them how to live their lives or judge them based on my own standards as they may find some of the things i spend my money on ridiculous.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Cataclysm only sold 4.3 million in its first week and you think pandareah (yes i pronounce it like diarrhea) will sell the same?  Not going to happen.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

The boxed sales seem to be 1.7 million  http://www.vgchartz.com/game/37350/guild-wars-2/

Its difficult to work out total sales from this . Its rumoured that there was around 1 million digital download pre-orders . So in the first month that could put it closer to three million or even more .

If that indeed is the case to double that MoP would have to sell closer to six million units give or take a few hundred thousand .

Looking this evening at the EU servers about an hour after MoP has gone live only 18 servers are at high status compared to 35 + for Cataclysm . Its still early days it could pick up tomorrow as its late for children to play now . But I would think initial download sales of MoP are comparitvly low compared to Cata .

MOP will do well enough but to double GW2 total sales would be a big ask .

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

WOW LK sold 2.8m its first day

http://massively.joystiq.com/2008/11/20/wows-lich-king-sells-record-2-8-million-copies-in-24-hours/

WOW Cata sold 3.3m its first day and 4.7m its first month

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/ingame/world-warcraft-cataclysm-sells-4-7-million-copies-sets-record-125595

i think MOP will sell well and players will be happy

but im expecting MOP to sell less than LK at launch

im half expecting that Blizzard will not announce "launch day" sales (for the first time ever)

and will announce several weeks sales later in October

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

According to a new report by Lazard Capital Markets, an investment firm that tracks these numbers, MoP has sold 600-700 thousand units in the last two days. This does not count digital sales but notes that digital sales will not make up for the poor retail performance', suggesting it sold less than this digitally as far as they have tracked.

As the Nadia above notes, that is an exreme drop from previous expansions where up until now each expansion has outsold the last in terms if 'first day' sales.

I guess the OP's prediction didn't exactly come true.

Edit: Forgot to link the report.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/27/world-of-warcraft-mists-of-pandaria-performance-disappointing/

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Looks like pandas and ps2 until Teso, OOOOr till TSW gives me some pvp!!!
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by bcbully

Pandas #1 on amazon for 66 days.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Video-Games-PC-Hardware/zgbs/videogames/229575/ref=zg_bs_nav_vg_1_vg

Negative, Pandas been on the top 100 for 66 days, but is number 1 now.  GW2 has been on the top 100 for 224 days and is number 3.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Would make sense that MoP will sell more boxes. There are already more then 2m WoW players who currently enjoy WoW. When you are playing a game, you don't really look at other games a lot, but you will know about an upcoming expansion for your game. So it makes sense that many of them buy the expansion without a second thought.