Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Modder turns GW2 into a true action combat game

CookieTimeCookieTime Member Posts: 353

This reddit thread was made about 4 days ago, but I'm surprised it didn't get more attention. Apparently, a modder made a few tweaks to the client that offered new ways to play GW2.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/zy752/combat_mode_02_beta/

I'm making this topic to spread the word, so that ANet would give this idea a chance and maybe implement this option into the game itself, since using mods is not allowed. I'm sure this can happen if enough people voice their interest.

IMO, the best change is the elimination of holding the right mouse button, which makes my hand hurt after a while of playing.

Here's also a demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpdgW_G4FyU

Eat me!

Comments

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

Considering it uses Autotargeting and Autocasting it would not recomend any one using this...

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

I really wish they added that option ingame I hate how I have to hold right click on 90% of the occasions during playtime.

@Above

Considering auto target and auto casting are guild wars 2 features I fail to see your reasoning.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Originally posted by DOGMA1138

Considering it uses Autotargeting and Autocasting it would not recomend any one using this...

Both of those things are already in game. The only difference is that you don't have a corsair. Center a mob in your screen and use a skill and it will auto-target that mob if you enable that setting. You can also enable "fast ground casting" or something like that, so GTAoE instantly casts wherever your mouse is when you press the skill button.

All he's really done is locked the mouse pointer in the center, removed it visually, added a corsair and "locked' the right mouse button so it's constantly pressed down.

I would love to see something like this being added to the game.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    I think its a job well done to be honest.IMO combat in GW2 is a weak point,i much prefer Tera and RaiderZ

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    This really looks like all he did was ad a crossair in the middle of the screen, cause sometimes when he shoots at the target he's not even turned to it. And If you think that tera has better combat, play the ranger I got annoyed terribly by the knock back and have to run up back the to target. The only classes on that game that where remotely somewhat fun was zerker and slayer.
  • tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    How the combat should have always been. 
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by timtrack

The only difference is that you don't have a corsair.

Awwww, I thought he'd added a Corsair character class as well  :(

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by kabitoshin

This really looks like all he did was ad a crossair in the middle of the screen, cause sometimes when he shoots at the target he's not even turned to it. And If you think that tera has better combat, play the ranger I got annoyed terribly by the knock back and have to run up back the to target. The only classes on that game that where remotely somewhat fun was zerker and slayer.

Ranger was my main lol,zerker and warrior were atls,yup Tera combat is way ahead just like raidersZ.
    I actually played all classes.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

An official on the forums already said this was illegal to use (as any mod anyway).

Use at your own risk...

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    Other than a corsair I think you can program your Naga/gaming mouse to do the same.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Dibdabs

This post finally made me click the reddit link because I really wanted to know wtf you guys were talking about.

Crosshair

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    I can make the same video and then put a circle in the middle...
  • GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    Mod all you want, the game is still a tab-targeting hotkey mmo ;)
  • miramira2miramira2 Member UncommonPosts: 76
    I would absolutely love to have this implemented. I do have a problem with carpal tunnel syndrom and find it extremely hard (painful) to have to use the right mouse button to be able to move efficiently. This is really what is missing in GW2 (which I love, btw)
  • DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406
    Originally posted by miramira2
    I would absolutely love to have this implemented. I do have a problem with carpal tunnel syndrom and find it extremely hard (painful) to have to use the right mouse button to be able to move efficiently. This is really what is missing in GW2 (which I love, btw)

Your not gaming enough if it hurts :P

jokes aside, personally i wouldn't play it like that. I am more of an old fashioned guy when it comes to controls

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

This post finally made me click the reddit link because I really wanted to know wtf you guys were talking about.

Crosshair

I was wondering also.  Figured maybe it was some gamepad hardware that I'd never heard of.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    I thought this mod was not allowed?

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Looks fine, but they are already trying to fight bots and illegal macro systems being used right now..

That's probably the only reason it has not been approved as of yet and may not be, depending on the overall bot situation and if they can get it under control..

Allowing third party programs is just inviting the game to be overrun by illegal modifications..

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by CookieTime

This reddit thread was made about 4 days ago, but I'm surprised it didn't get more attention. Apparently, a modder made a few tweaks to the client that offered new ways to play GW2.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/zy752/combat_mode_02_beta/

I'm making this topic to spread the word, so that ANet would give this idea a chance and maybe implement this option into the game itself, since using mods is not allowed. I'm sure this can happen if enough people voice their interest.

IMO, the best change is the elimination of holding the right mouse button, which makes my hand hurt after a while of playing.

Here's also a demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpdgW_G4FyU

Since mods are not allowed in game, read your EULA, this is a permaban offense.

See this thread - http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/37780-gw2-modding-support/

• miramira2miramira2 Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by botrytis

Since mods are not allowed in game, read your EULA, this is a permaban offense.

Yes, and that is why we are discussing/asking/hoping it will be addition to the official game

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

The direct download links have been taken down. The author of the mod is consulting Anet. As current policy stands they would treat this no differently than a third party botting program. 

They do not allow mods. As others have stated above, this is a bannable offense at this time. 

• 9ineven9ineven Member UncommonPosts: 168

This is not a mod.

The game is not touched. It's just rebinded keys and a .png picture in the middle of the screen.

If they don't allow that kind of stuff then they can ban almost all good mouses and keyboards drivers with which you can create macros.

This thing is not even using macros.

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292

Amazing effort, I hope ArenaNet implements the option for the people that want it.

Personally, I couldn't stand having to look down to place my AoE skills. The combat is good the way it is in my opinion. (The video only shows combat against VERY slow and fairly easy to beat opponents. I would like to see this played out against a very agile veteran mob for example.)

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Crosshair

We knew that.  I hoped a Corsair was in the works, though I knew it was really unlikely.  :D

• CookieTimeCookieTime Member Posts: 353

To all that are saying mods are illegal and I'll get banned.. read the OP again.

Originally posted by CookieTime

What part of this is unclear? And as said, the download links were also removed.

Eat me!