Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Appear 'Offline' Coming Soon

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Diablo III blog has been updated with the news that the ability for players to appear "offline" during game play will be added to the game with the v1.05 patch. The same option will also be added separately to World of Warcraft and Starcraft as well over the coming months.

Diablo III players will be able to select "Appear Offline" as one of their Battle.net social-status options (along with Available, Busy, and Away) for those times when they want to wander Azeroth by their lonesome, dominate the galaxy in radio silence, or slay demons in solitude. When you choose this option as your status, all of your Real ID friends, BattleTag friends, and character-level friends will see you as “Offline” in their friends list whenever you’re logged into a game. 

Read more on the Diablo 3 blog.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    thought it was something else but still nice for privacy
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Cracks. Me. Up. 

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• coraphisecoraphise Member UncommonPosts: 11
    So when does the "I don't wanna be online at all" option show up? I couldn't care less about a non-MMO wannabe MMO auction house. I just want to play the game without using Battle.net.
  • saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by coraphise
    So when does the "I don't wanna be online at all" option show up? I couldn't care less about a non-MMO wannabe MMO auction house. I just want to play the game without using Battle.net.

it will never happen

but you can try torchlight 2

it have offline, lan support

it have mod support

and its way better than d3 :)

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Today, as a matter of fact.  It's called Torchlight II image

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    This long to implement such a rudimentary feature, sad.
  • FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by Aori
    Originally posted by saurus123

it will never happen

it have mod support

but has no epeen value! since all characters can be modified by the player.

So go use the original Battle.NET system. Active characters perminantly stored on their servers, and wiped after 90days of not being used.

BAM!

Deals with hackers, modders, etc.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

it will never happen

it have mod support

Local saves only. Aka cheating, character editing, no PVP whatsoever because of cheating, no real trading, no incentive to farm for gear.

NO BATTLENET! Torchlight 2 is a good RPG with a co-op function but after beating the game couple of times there is zero incentive to farm for items. 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• MueslinatorMueslinator Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    Local saves only. Aka cheating, character editing, no PVP whatsoever because of cheating, no real trading, no incentive to farm for gear. NO BATTLENET! Torchlight 2 is a good RPG with a co-op function but after beating the game couple of times there is zero incentive to farm for items. 

That's only valid if you equate 'replay value' with 'epeen value'. I have played both Diablo and Diablo II/LoD for years because of the atmosphere and gameplay. Not because I wanted better loot. In fact, I semi-regularly deleted my characters just so my character list didn't clutter up.
    It doesn't matter to me how often i start again as long as the game is enjoyable. And that was definitely the case with those two games.

Since D3 has lost that appeal, I'll try my luck with TL2 and PoE. The first has very nice combat, the second a brilliant atmosphere. I do hope that PoE steps up in terms of raw gameplay, and that TL2 gets some good mods. Because in terms of features, both curbstomp Diablo 3 easily.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by Kost
    This long to implement such a rudimentary feature, sad.

It went against their philosophy and financial goals.  It obviously wasn't a technical issue.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

it will never happen

it have mod support

Local saves only. Aka cheating, character editing, no PVP whatsoever because of cheating, no real trading, no incentive to farm for gear.

NO BATTLENET! Torchlight 2 is a good RPG with a co-op function but after beating the game couple of times there is zero incentive to farm for items. 

That's pretty much my point of view. I didn't play D2 mods much at all (less than 5 hours) because they weren't nearly as fun as closed battle net.  I'd rather just find a new game then play a mod of a game I've beaten in single player.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    Well TL2 is a single-player/friends game. With the modding and no server-based saves, there's really no "MMO" element to it.
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    I don't want an "appear offline" option. I want a "play offline" option -- my internet has been really crappy and I can't even play this stupid game single player properly.
  • WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988
    Originally posted by Samhael
    I don't want an "appear offline" option. I want a "play offline" option -- my internet has been really crappy and I can't even play this stupid game single player properly.

One of several reasons I refused to buy/support the game.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Mueslinator
    Local saves only. Aka cheating, character editing, no PVP whatsoever because of cheating, no real trading, no incentive to farm for gear. NO BATTLENET! Torchlight 2 is a good RPG with a co-op function but after beating the game couple of times there is zero incentive to farm for items. 

That's only valid if you equate 'replay value' with 'epeen value'. I have played both Diablo and Diablo II/LoD for years because of the atmosphere and gameplay. Not because I wanted better loot. In fact, I semi-regularly deleted my characters just so my character list didn't clutter up.
    It doesn't matter to me how often i start again as long as the game is enjoyable. And that was definitely the case with those two games.

Since D3 has lost that appeal, I'll try my luck with TL2 and PoE. The first has very nice combat, the second a brilliant atmosphere. I do hope that PoE steps up in terms of raw gameplay, and that TL2 gets some good mods. Because in terms of features, both curbstomp Diablo 3 easily.

I hear you and this is a perfectly valid point. You enjoy this sort of thing from an ARPG. On the other side I played Diablo 2 for hours because I loved the PvP. It was fast and always fun. Hours would fly by while I was PvPing. I also farmed for gear because I wanted to get better items for PvP and also some new items which would allow me to play completely different builds (e.g. WW assassin). OF course, I loved playing the game for its atmosphere and all sorts of other things but once the novelty has faded away it was the PvP that kept me playing for years after the game was released. Dfferent people play the game for different reasons and I can perfectly understand that but calling it epeen is very dismissive.

Torchlight 2 completely ruins this element of Diablo 2 because of character editing. Also I am not sure how PvP is done in TL2 but if you can do it anywhere like Diablo 2, I can see char editing being a problem in hardcore mode as well. I bought the game 2-3 months ago and I will definetely play it at least couple of times. I was very dissappointed when I read about the local saves thing though.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    i will stand by torchlight 2 . it is only 20 us dollars and offers everything that mister diablo 3 failed to provide 
  • CypeqCypeq Member Posts: 66
    Oh such important update woth blog post. I hope their top notch development team implemented this droplist with such passion and regards for detail as if they were making brand new game.
  • BrodieBroosBrodieBroos Member Posts: 32
    Why did this male it to the news page?!