Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Play our way, or don't play...

167891012»

Comments

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

The only thing I am learning from this thread is the old adage of "exploit often and exploit first" may just hold true to this game. I see a lack of compassion or even acknowledgement from many over legit players issues with this system. While also seeing a lack of "true" action taken against people running bot programs.

Hell maybe I should just buy a second account, fire up my laptop and bot the ever loving kitten out of this game, cause I don't wish to be monetarily months behind what is potentially a large chunk (even 5% if large in my book) of the player population.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu >.<

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

Well atleast you admit you are a hypocrite then. Honesty is rare virtue these days. You can troll WOW forums all you like but you are telling him 'you are trying too hard'..all right.

I suppose I could troll the WoW forums, but I don't. Rarely leave these forums when I'm actually forum surfing.

same for me - i have issues w all mmos but i rarely debate outside GW2 / EQ2 forums

otherwise

im just posting relevant game news in the appropiate subforum

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Draftbeer
    Originally posted by Xzen
    The gold farmers will just use multiple characters and multiple accounts to get around this. The only people it hurts are the normal players that usually only have one character that they play and want to farm for themselves.

Nuff' said

Not quite enough.... everyone blames these alien gold farmer sub-species for all anti-exploit measures. From what I've seen of DE exploiting, spawn camping and botting, and specially from all the bitching about all the counter-measures I read about here and in the official forums, it ain't just the gold farmers doing it.

Time to wake-up and realize that a big chunk of the MMO playing mainstream are exploiting asshats who ruin games. "Normal Players" may even be an endangered species.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    The gold farmers will just use multiple characters and multiple accounts to get around this. The only people it hurts are the normal players that usually only have one character that they play and want to farm for themselves.

Nuff' said

Actually, no.

Is it so hard to simply move from zone to zone? I really don't see the problem (Other than your typical lazy human responses).

That said, I hardly ever get those diminished returns, simply because it is my playstyle. I get the picture though, its a pretty drastic measure against farming and bots, but I really think that all it takes is for players to adapt to it, instead of crying foul and immediately trolling the "GW2 is the 2nd coming" remark :).

Then again, you can't please everyone.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Iselin

There is this broken bridge in the NW part of Kessex Hills that gets attacked by centaurs every 10 minutes or so. I hadn't been there for a while but I went through there mining and gathering yesterday. I got there in between attacks and saw about 30 characters there botting... spamming their favorite AOE skill at nothing in particular... at the spot where the centaurs would eventually appear....

It seems to be the routine now for all DEs that you get some people that figure out the spawn point for the incoming mobs and go there to farm them all. If you're actually trying to play the DE as intended, you'll never even see a mob... I saw some of this happening in all zones but it's really noticeable 70+ in Malchor's Leap and Cursed Shore...

So... they're taking some steps to plug the exploit holes that people are exposing for them. Big surprise there.

So yeah, it must be Anet's fault... they're being downright fascist "No farming for you!"

If they had a server with zero asshattery tolerance I'd move my characters there in a flash.

or they could change the event to only spawn every 30 minutes. Or they could use these locations as honeypots to attract botters and then have someone show up with banhammer every couple of hours to squash the characters that are obviously repeating the same sequence of actions over and over.

Why punish people for participating in the events that are offered to them? After all, the events are supposed to be the core of the game. I know that I would rather do a variety of events in an evening but sometimes, in some areas, you just don't find that many. I jump on every even I run across but when you only run into 3 events and 2 of them are bugged (Timberline Falls, I am looking at you) Well, you do the one that can be done a couple of times while you are doing the hearts and other exploration points in that area.

DR code is a lazy solution to the problem.

All die, so die well.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Jyiiga

The only thing I am learning from this thread is the old adage of "exploit often and exploit first" may just hold true to this game. I see a lack of compassion or even acknowledgement from many over legit players issues with this system. While also seeing a lack of "true" action taken against people running bot programs.

i remember your bot threads - i hear ya loud and clear :)

I agree bot banning needs alot of improvement,

especially when same bot can be in same spot for days

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Originally posted by BizkitNL

Nuff' said

Actually, no.

Is it so hard to simply move from zone to zone? I really don't see the problem (Other than your typical lazy human responses).

That said, I hardly ever get those diminished returns, simply because it is my playstyle. I get the picture though, its a pretty drastic measure against farming and bots, but I really think that all it takes is for players to adapt to it, instead of crying foul and immediately trolling the "GW2 is the 2nd coming" remark :).

Well the problem is some mats only drop off certain mobs. Do you play EvE? Would it make since if they made it so you could only farm in 0 sec for 30 mins before you stoped getting anything?

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517
    zip

Nuff' said

Actually, no.

Exactly, that is your playstyle.

I have some favourite zones, where I like to spend my playtime.

I want to rotate these zones whenever I feel like and not when

I'm forced to. Really not that hard to understand I assume.

On the other hand: do you really think that these changes actually

stop the bots or at least slow them down?

Sorry but I don't see that way.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by VikingGamer

There is this broken bridge in the NW part of Kessex Hills that gets attacked by centaurs every 10 minutes or so. I hadn't been there for a while but I went through there mining and gathering yesterday. I got there in between attacks and saw about 30 characters there botting... spamming their favorite AOE skill at nothing in particular... at the spot where the centaurs would eventually appear....

It seems to be the routine now for all DEs that you get some people that figure out the spawn point for the incoming mobs and go there to farm them all. If you're actually trying to play the DE as intended, you'll never even see a mob... I saw some of this happening in all zones but it's really noticeable 70+ in Malchor's Leap and Cursed Shore...

So... they're taking some steps to plug the exploit holes that people are exposing for them. Big surprise there.

So yeah, it must be Anet's fault... they're being downright fascist "No farming for you!"

If they had a server with zero asshattery tolerance I'd move my characters there in a flash.

or they could change the event to only spawn every 30 minutes. Or they could use these locations as honeypots to attract botters and then have someone show up with banhammer every couple of hours to squash the characters that are obviously repeating the same sequence of actions over and over.

Why punish people for participating in the events that are offered to them? After all, the events are supposed to be the core of the game. I know that I would rather do a variety of events in an evening but sometimes, in some areas, you just don't find that many. I jump on every even I run across but when you only run into 3 events and 2 of them are bugged (Timberline Falls, I am looking at you) Well, you do the one that can be done a couple of times while you are doing the hearts and other exploration points in that area.

DR code is a lazy solution to the problem.

DR code is a quick, interim solution to what has become a huge problem. Many, many people are openly exploiting and posting about it. And these ain't the gold farmers. I'm sure they'll figure it out and tune it in time but this is so widespread that something needed to be done quickly.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Are you all trying to play a game or do a job? o_O

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Nuff' said

Actually, no.

First, it is not clear that changing zones works. Several people have reported that you still get DR on events regardless of changing zones. I may just be that there are weird bugs in the code that are causing people to hit the limit when they really shouldn't.

Second, players shouldn't have to game the system by changing zones just so that THE core mechanic of the game will run correctly. Players should be able to simply play the game naturally and have it work.

- Why should I have to set a countdown timer to remind me when I need to switch zones to keep playing?

- What if I want to simply follow the natural progression of the map and the story built into that map?

- What if I have already completed the next zone over and don't want to do it again?

- What if I don't want to waste 5 minutes tromping across the large zone I am in just to get to the other zone?

- What if I don't want to spend the 2s it costs to teleport to that other map?

- What if I don't want limit myself to working the areas that are right next to the zone connections?

I won't bother playing a game that I have to trick into working correctly.

All die, so die well.

• MuntzMuntz Member UncommonPosts: 332

Nuff' said

Not quite enough.... everyone blames these alien gold farmer sub-species for all anti-exploit measures. From what I've seen of DE exploiting, spawn camping and botting, and specially from all the bitching about all the counter-measures I read about here and in the official forums, it ain't just the gold farmers doing it.

Time to wake-up and realize that a big chunk of the MMO playing mainstream are exploiting asshats who ruin games. "Normal Players" may even be an endangered species.

There certainly is a segment who "win" when they find ways to exploit a game.

A great majority of players never make a post. 

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

How much gold could one guy make by standing in a event trigger zone together with ten friends and autoattack and autopickup loot all night? 

When they woke up next morning they must have tens of thousand of trophies each to sell, pluss crafting mats. Make everyone in your guild do that all night, every night, and the economy will be ruined for everyone.

I have a hard time believing any fair playstyle get punished by the changes made, unless your playstyle is to exploit.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by VikingGamer

First, it is not clear that changing zones works. Several people have reported that you still get DR on events regardless of changing zones. I may just be that there are weird bugs in the code that are causing people to hit the limit when they really shouldn't.

Second, players shouldn't have to game the system by changing zones just so that THE core mechanic of the game will run correctly. Players should be able to simply play the game naturally and have it work.

- Why should I have to set a countdown timer to remind me when I need to switch zones to keep playing?

- What if I want to simply follow the natural progression of the map and the story built into that map?

- What if I have already completed the next zone over and don't want to do it again?

- What if I don't want to waste 5 minutes tromping across the large zone I am in just to get to the other zone?

- What if I don't want to spend the 2s it costs to teleport to that other map?

- What if I don't want limit myself to working the areas that are right next to the zone connections?

I won't bother playing a game that I have to trick into working correctly.

Just wanted to note that 'working correctly' is really not aplicable in this context as you have that whole 'working as intended' thing that can be used as a flipside argument. Fact is ther system is just a different system and if people want to forcibly grind it, then they hve to jump through the hoops to grind it.

Anet just doesn't want people to be grinding. They want players to pace it, or mix up their activity throughout play. Farm a bit, get some xp, do a mission or dungeon with some people, craft some stuff, try some pvp for a bit, then do something else again.

A lot of your list is personal problems really, you 'don't want to' to do it. If you don't want to do it, then don't do it and find something else to do.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by Voiidiin

I was a huge blind fanboy prior to release of GW2, i loved GW2 up until 2 days ago when i was basically called an exploiter by ArenaNet and penalized for playing a game they way i wanted to. 

I like to explore, i like to do dungeons, i like PvP and WvW. I also sometimes enjoy just mindless mob grinding in an attempt to get more materials for crafting, and a bit of coin for my bank.

Basically because of the botters and scammers in GW2, ArenaNet put in place caps to how many times you can run dungeons, how many times you can do events (no not just one all of them, meaning you run 4 events in a row thats around 30 minutes you will have your rewards removed),and how many of the same type of mob you can kill. I am not an exploiter, i did do a few dungeon runs in a row to get a few levels quicker for my personal story, but i ran them in an honest fashion.

IF (please read the word IF) i was to choose to just farm mobs of the same type all day long, why am i considered an exploiter (fyi i do not choose to do this activity, but i still feel i should be able to if i wanted to) ? If ArenaNet does not want us to run dungeon after dungeon why not implement lockouts ? Instead i get to join a dungeon group and maybe my cap kicks in 1/2 way through the thing.

When i asked about this on the official forums i was pretty much discredited as a useless farmer and my play style is wrong. 

I feel lied to by ArenaNet, there manifesto is all garbage, there previous interviews claiming to let the player play the way they choose is pure lies.

I was not falling for hype, i loved the hell out of GW2 prior to the 9-18-12 update, i was lied to by ArenaNet based on a completely different game i played months ago.

These are not minor changes to the game that comes with any MMO growth, this is a very drastic change to how anyone can play this game, and how you play the game is set forth now by ArenaNet, if i had known this was going to be like this in advance i would have told them to stick it.

Just to be completely candid here, i never would have followed or even supported ArenaNet if i had known that a few weeks into the actual release they were going to drastically change the game. 

I am sure i will get flames from the pre-release haters who want to rub it in my face that they were right, but in all actuality your not, GW2 was fantastic up to that update. Also, for those blind fans of the game who cannot fault it in anyway, you need to read this with the understanding I AM A HUGE FAN OF GW2, just not how it is now.

if you dont farm 1 event, dungeon or same mobs over and over you are ok, your drop rate is ok

but in the last weeks we saw players doing 1 dungeon for gold and exp or we saw players farming afk 1 event for karma that is every 5 mins

Anet had to do it unless you wanted fked economy

so again if you dont repeat 1 dungeon or event or farm same mobs you are ok

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Going to lock this while we go through it. Will update when a decision is made on the thread.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.