Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What has happened to the MMO community :(

Comments

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308
    Originally posted by charlizd

Just a little Rant but seriously what has become of us, the MMO community, all i see here on this site and many others is whining, complaining, Bickering, Childishness and downright disrespect for people in general.

I am bringning this up because of all the hate there is towards one another and towards the companies that make the games that we play, i see people complaining about how stuff should be better in GW2 yet the game is free to play, what more do you people seriously want?? the Developers owe you guys nothing, why should they justify themselves for you? and the counltess other threads about how this will fail or how long till you think it will fail or whine, whine, whine.

Not that anyone would care but it is not the state of MMO's that is turning me of the Genre but the brat like childish people who are plaguing what was once a great place to enjoy a game and socialize.

I'm sure i will get flamed for this but then again it just proves my point right?

IMO i think alot of us need to pull our heads out of our asses and be greatful for what we get, Especially if it is Free.

GW2 is free to play?

I recommend you don't make anymore threads.

Hi

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Free?  Last I checked GW2 cost around $59.99 to play.

Oh yes, and there's this cash shop which while not mandatory, seems to contain items that would be strongly desireable by the average player, such as extra bag space, an even has kick arse armor/weapons one might want to get for around $200.00 for the full set.

Free? Last i checked, DDO, LOTRO, DCUO, and very many other MMOs are free.

Oh yes, there are cash shops, but you don't have to use them. In fact, research shows that a MAJORITY of MMO players do not pay. So yeah, MMOs are free for many.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Oh yes, and there's this cash shop which while not mandatory, seems to contain items that would be strongly desireable by the average player, such as extra bag space, an even has kick arse armor/weapons one might want to get for around $200.00 for the full set.

Oh yes, there are cash shops, but you don't have to use them. In fact, research shows that a MAJORITY of MMO players do not pay. So yeah, MMOs are free for many.

I bought the Lantern expansion. Wasn't really too bad a deal i thought. I subbed for a little while, but just didn't find myself playing enough to justify it.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

I bought the Lantern expansion. Wasn't really too bad a deal i thought. I subbed for a little while, but just didn't find myself playing enough to justify it.

That is the beauty of F2P .. you don't have to play much to feel you get "your money worth". In fact, i play many of these games on and off. There is no pressure to advance.

After my wow annual pass is up, i probably will not play a sub MMO anymore.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by timtrack

I started to write something... i guess my opinion in the matter. But i stopped myself. I often do. I often find myself in the middle of a write-up, then i suddenly stop and think "Why am i doing this? Even if a write a 100% bulletproof sollution to world hunger, i'll get either shot down or ignored. These people don't want sollutions, mind-expanding discussions, friends or a better world. I don't know what they want... do they even don't know what they want? Do i know what i want? Why am i even here?".

I'm here because i LOVE games. Not because i hate them.

Let us be honest here. We are all hypocrites and take pride in our double standard. Yes we are here because we love our favorite game and hate everything else that we don't love.

Who here can honestly say with a straight face that they don't troll or flame MMOS and then change roles to little angels from trolls moment someone flame our precious one? then suddenly all the wisdom comes flowing out of every pore of our brain forgetting the past and how much fun we had trolling other MMOS and their playerbase.

This is what these forums are all about. Forum PVP and favoritism to put others down.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Originally posted by halflife25

I started to write something... i guess my opinion in the matter. But i stopped myself. I often do. I often find myself in the middle of a write-up, then i suddenly stop and think "Why am i doing this? Even if a write a 100% bulletproof sollution to world hunger, i'll get either shot down or ignored. These people don't want sollutions, mind-expanding discussions, friends or a better world. I don't know what they want... do they even don't know what they want? Do i know what i want? Why am i even here?".

Let us be honest here. We are all hypocrites and take pride in our double standard. Yes we are here because we love our favorite game and hate everything else that we don't love.

Who here can honestly say with a straight face that they don't troll or flame MMOS and then change roles to little angels from trolls moment someone flame our precious one? then suddenly all the wisdom comes flowing out of every pore of our brain forgetting the past and how much fun we had trolling other MMOS and their playerbase.

This is what these forums are all about. Forum PVP and favoritism to put others down.

I'd like to think my posts are pretty consistent. I say what I think. I don't sugarcoat things. I have no problem with people playing games I don't like. I certainly don't go around suggesting that they turn WoW into a sandbox FFA game though, and that seems to be what the mentality is on this site. "If I don't like your game then it has no right to exist." I am completely shocked that these idiots go into a game other than the genre they enjoy and demand that it be molded into their games. Then you have the people who think that if a game doesn't have 8 million subscribers then it is not a succes. They also are just another example of the entitlement generation's idiocracy.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by comrademario
    Can we not talk about GW2 please?

Too late, plus smeone already reported the OP.

Apparently having an open discussion is a reportable offense. GW2 fanboi idiots...

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by halflife25

I'd like to think my posts are pretty consistent. I say what I think. I don't sugarcoat things. I have no problem with people playing games I don't like. I certainly don't go around suggesting that they turn WoW into a sandbox FFA game though, and that seems to be what the mentality is on this site. "If I don't like your game then it has no right to exist." I am completely shocked that these idiots go into a game other than the genre they enjoy and demand that it be molded into their games. Then you have the people who think that if a game doesn't have 8 million subscribers then it is not a succes. They also are just another example of the entitlement generation's idiocracy.

Well i guess you are in a minority then. I give you a simple example of hypocricy..

A person flames WOW almost on daily basis, calls its community full of pre teens and kiddies. And yet has the gals to point someone's else posting history which has 500 posts mostly bashing GW2. I mean did that guy stopped to think for a while before touching the keyboard and had  alook through his own posting history?

This is the kind of double standrds that you see here. Very very few people genuienly want to discuss MMOS, rest are here for PVP, to vent, put others down and feel better about themselves.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

The games you listed were all sub games. A true F2P game would be something from Perfect World Entertainment and I never see anyone talking about their games.  And the reason why you see no one taling about them is because the true F2P games are poor quality compared to the sub gone f2p games.

• Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Hmm because hardcore guild are full of pleasant well adjusted individuals?

No, you get jerks in any type of social interaction, that's just life.  But in terms of pure numbers, it's obvious that social consequences tend to shape the way people interact with each other.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    It's not just MMO's it's everything. I mean in a world where they advertise 5 hour energy drinks by telling you that "coffee is too hard to make" what chance do we have? If coffee is too hard for you then please just go lay down in the highway.

I think that those Smuckers frozen peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are the epitome of laziness.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923
    Originally posted by Sylvarii

Just a little Rant but seriously what has become of us, the MMO community, all i see here on this site and many others is whining, complaining, Bickering, Childishness and downright disrespect for people in general.

I am bringning this up because of all the hate there is towards one another and towards the companies that make the games that we play, i see people complaining about how stuff should be better in GW2 yet the game is free to play, what more do you people seriously want?? the Developers owe you guys nothing, why should they justify themselves for you? and the counltess other threads about how this will fail or how long till you think it will fail or whine, whine, whine.

Not that anyone would care but it is not the state of MMO's that is turning me of the Genre but the brat like childish people who are plaguing what was once a great place to enjoy a game and socialize.

I'm sure i will get flamed for this but then again it just proves my point right?

IMO i think alot of us need to pull our heads out of our asses and be greatful for what we get, Especially if it is Free.

So this is really another "i like GW2 so everyone else should" right? Your title hints at a genuwine concern for the mmo community but it's really a stealth thread about GW2.

Again ill ask the question that has been asked a few times in your thread: which part of GW2 is free?

No my intention of this thread was  about the community, the only reason GW2 was mentioned is because it was the hottest topic on the boards at the time of posting this.

The part of GW2 that is Free is the non monthly subscription like many other AAA mmo's, Sure it has a cash shop but it is not mandatory to Purchase anyhting from there and even if you do this can also be done via Trading in game cash for gems so IF you have the time you can make Cash shop purchases without spending real Cash, And yes ok you have to make an initial Purchase of the game but thereon after that, it is Free, and everyone that has pointed out the Fact it is not Free because you have to purchase it know's exactly where i was coming from. 

And yes i Play GW2 but i would not call myself a Fanboy at all, i play it very casually so i am probably the last person to be trying to Hype it or tell anyone they should be playing it.

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • Carl132pCarl132p Member UncommonPosts: 538
    This website has been a garbage community for actually enjoying a game probably since its creation. If you come here you should expect to have your love of a game completely shaken with the constant whining and negativity.
  • loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

you are not alone check this reddit

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Sorry not to stay on theme, but I have just learnt how bad the GW2 cash shop already is:

"seems to contain items that would be strongly desireable by the average player, such as extra bag space, an even has kick arse armor/weapons one might want to get for around $200.00 for the full set."

It is the same old story, and you will hear it again in the next major MMO starts with one. There are three stages:

1. The MMO will start with a cash shop but will only sell fluff.

2. The MMO may well end up selling gameplay altering items but thats months down the line.

3. The MMO ends up selling gameplay altering items far more quickly than the fanboys expected.

This happens every time. Yet players allow the hype train about a new MMO to blind them. As I said previously, gaming companies know that most players have a casual mindset and will leave in a couple of months. There is no point putting in loads of items to a cash shop a few months after launch. To maximise profit you fill that cash shop up to the nines at launch.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Originally posted by Scot

Sorry not to stay on theme, but I have just learnt how bad the GW2 cash shop already is:

"seems to contain items that would be strongly desireable by the average player, such as extra bag space, an even has kick arse armor/weapons one might want to get for around $200.00 for the full set."

It is the same old story, and you will hear it again in the next major MMO starts with one. There are three stages:

1. The MMO will start with a cash shop but will only sell fluff.

2. The MMO may well end up selling gameplay altering items but thats months down the line.

3. The MMO ends up selling gameplay altering items far more quickly than the fanboys expected.

This happens every time. Yet players allow the hype train about a new MMO to blind them. As I said previously, gaming companies know that most players have a casual mindset and will leave in a couple of months. There is no point putting in loads of items to a cash shop a few months after launch. To maximise profit you fill that cash shop up to the nines at launch.

This is exactly it. Why are you even posting this here? This has NOTHING to do with this topic. But you couldn't resist the urge to pour uneducated "opinions" and "facts" down people's throats.

Originally posted by Carl132p
    This website has been a garbage community for actually enjoying a game probably since its creation. If you come here you should expect to have your love of a game completely shaken with the constant whining and negativity.

Oh the melodrama.  Has an internet forum ever convinced you that a game you really like is actually not that good?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• jayartejayarte Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by Aelious
    The subject is not about GW2 specifically everyone, please look deeper.

OP is referring to fans of MMOs and the general sentiment of players. It's not just on this site and not tied to a specific game or subject but there is a lot of negative and downright rude attitudes from the MMO community. I've dubbed it Perpetual Negatism because no matter the subject something is always wrong or will be in the future.

"I can feel and post whatever I want", of course you can and more power to you. However, have you ever included in your list of rants that the "community" in games is not like it used to be? That people don't talk to each other anymore? Why would they when all they expect is people complaining? Now it's true that there are things worth getting excited about and voicing your opinion can force that change. Maybe more people would join in that fight if the general negativity wasn't there. When the important stuff is what's focused on.

I, like a lot of you it seems, are awaiting a more community sandboxy type game to hit the mainstream. Before one hits the shelves I think we need to ask ourselves how we would fit that community.

Well said.

I often wonder what all the anger and impolite behaviour is really about.  It's obviously not  just about games because any forum on any topic seems to attract vitriolic outpourings at some point.

Or maybe the anger was always there but we just didn't have the internet where people could pour it all out anonymously?  Seems very sad (original use of the word) to me.

Originally posted by jayarte

OP is referring to fans of MMOs and the general sentiment of players. It's not just on this site and not tied to a specific game or subject but there is a lot of negative and downright rude attitudes from the MMO community. I've dubbed it Perpetual Negatism because no matter the subject something is always wrong or will be in the future.

"I can feel and post whatever I want", of course you can and more power to you. However, have you ever included in your list of rants that the "community" in games is not like it used to be? That people don't talk to each other anymore? Why would they when all they expect is people complaining? Now it's true that there are things worth getting excited about and voicing your opinion can force that change. Maybe more people would join in that fight if the general negativity wasn't there. When the important stuff is what's focused on.

I, like a lot of you it seems, are awaiting a more community sandboxy type game to hit the mainstream. Before one hits the shelves I think we need to ask ourselves how we would fit that community.

Well said.

I often wonder what all the anger and impolite behaviour is really about.  It's obviously not  just about games because any forum on any topic seems to attract vitriolic outpourings at some point.

Or maybe the anger was always there but we just didn't have the internet where people could pour it all out anonymously?  Seems very sad (original use of the word) to me.

The internet has created a way for all people to vent.  Game forums are remarkabley civil compared to news forums where things like politics and religion are discussed.  Some of those posters I'm fully expecting to climb a bell tower with a sniper rifle.

-- Herman Melville

Originally posted by TalulaRose

The games you listed were all sub games. A true F2P game would be something from Perfect World Entertainment and I never see anyone talking about their games.  And the reason why you see no one taling about them is because the true F2P games are poor quality compared to the sub gone f2p games.

The new Marvel Heroes is going to be F2P from day one.

However, so what if these are sub games turning F2P? They are costing no money NOW. A true F2P game is one you don't have to pay ... there is nothing "untrue" about DDO, LOTRO, DCUO ...

In fact, i *will* wait for games like TSW to turn F2P before i play.

• chriswsmchriswsm Member UncommonPosts: 383

There has certainly been an increase in grumpyness and negativity across all game related forums in recent years.  This is especially true where MMORPGs are concerned.

Pretty much every forum is full of  "<game name> is going to be terrible because..."

This is why I hardly ever post on gaming forums anymore.   I prefer to judge the game in person rather than rely on the opinion of someone that has only played MMOs for a couple of years and is basing their entire post on speculation and comparing everything to WOW which I have never played (pretty much everything else though).

I used to visit this site a lot however in recent years it has become the home of negative forum posts, illogical opinions and tantrums so I visit less often.

Played or Beta'd: UO / DAOC / Horizons / EQ2 / DDO / EVE / Archlord / PirateKingsOnline / Tabula Rasa / LOTRO / AOC / Champions / Darkfall / Mortal Online / DCUO / Rift / STO / SWTOR / TSW

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    If I was wrong, tell me why, not that you did not like what I had to say. :)
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I frequently criticise games.

The only game I can't really criticise is Eve Online because of the vision of the devs.

Most games are fun for a while, but you couldn't really 'live in them' - that's the ultimate test for me.

The problem with Eve is that 'money generating' activities can get really boring unless you are in a group.

So in other words, you need too much time to play it properly.

So even this game isn't perfect.

But DUST 514 is coming out, which should be good.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Originally posted by Hydros13
    It's not free, I had to pay $60 and regret it.

If it had been f2p with a Cash Shop no one would have any regrets.

Originally posted by dave6660
    Originally posted by jayarte

Well said.

The internet has created a way for all people to vent.  Game forums are remarkabley civil compared to news forums where things like politics and religion are discussed.  Some of those posters I'm fully expecting to climb a bell tower with a sniper rifle.

Lolz.  So true, Dave.

>>>>>

It's not fair I missed out on the LGBT thread!  I blink and everyone has fun without me!

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Sounds like someone is upset because not everyone agrees with you that GW2 is great.