Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Play our way, or don't play...

VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

I was a huge blind fanboy prior to release of GW2, i loved GW2 up until 2 days ago when i was basically called an exploiter by ArenaNet and penalized for playing a game they way i wanted to. 

I like to explore, i like to do dungeons, i like PvP and WvW. I also sometimes enjoy just mindless mob grinding in an attempt to get more materials for crafting, and a bit of coin for my bank.

Basically because of the botters and scammers in GW2, ArenaNet put in place caps to how many times you can run dungeons, how many times you can do events (no not just one all of them, meaning you run 4 events in a row thats around 30 minutes you will have your rewards removed),and how many of the same type of mob you can kill. I am not an exploiter, i did do a few dungeon runs in a row to get a few levels quicker for my personal story, but i ran them in an honest fashion.

IF (please read the word IF) i was to choose to just farm mobs of the same type all day long, why am i considered an exploiter (fyi i do not choose to do this activity, but i still feel i should be able to if i wanted to) ? If ArenaNet does not want us to run dungeon after dungeon why not implement lockouts ? Instead i get to join a dungeon group and maybe my cap kicks in 1/2 way through the thing.

When i asked about this on the official forums i was pretty much discredited as a useless farmer and my play style is wrong. 

I feel lied to by ArenaNet, there manifesto is all garbage, there previous interviews claiming to let the player play the way they choose is pure lies.

I was not falling for hype, i loved the hell out of GW2 prior to the 9-18-12 update, i was lied to by ArenaNet based on a completely different game i played months ago.

These are not minor changes to the game that comes with any MMO growth, this is a very drastic change to how anyone can play this game, and how you play the game is set forth now by ArenaNet, if i had known this was going to be like this in advance i would have told them to stick it.

Just to be completely candid here, i never would have followed or even supported ArenaNet if i had known that a few weeks into the actual release they were going to drastically change the game. 

I am sure i will get flames from the pre-release haters who want to rub it in my face that they were right, but in all actuality your not, GW2 was fantastic up to that update. Also, for those blind fans of the game who cannot fault it in anyway, you need to read this with the understanding I AM A HUGE FAN OF GW2, just not how it is now.

Lolipops !

Comments

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Mob farming has never been a good source of anything. As for dungeons, you can run them as often as you want, as long as you don't just run the same path of the same dungeon over and over again.
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Never knew about this cap, how much do you have to kill and how long do you have to play before it kicks in?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    Mob farming has never been a good source of anything. As for dungeons, you can run them as often as you want, as long as you don't just run the same path of the same dungeon over and over again.

You are wrong about dungeons, after running TA then CM story, i went to AC and was capped. Killing mobs is one of the only ways to get cloth to use for tailoring, let alone tons of other materials needed for crafting, so you are also wrong with that statement also.

I am sorry but unless you actually test what you are claming i think you need to refrain from posting about it. I know how these ridiculous caps work because i have been affected by them along with several others who have posted about this in this forum and on the official ones also.

Lolipops !

• sr7olsnipersr7olsniper Member UncommonPosts: 206

It doenst matter what he does. The game is su pposed to let you play however you want to play it. People where always praising GW2 as the second coming, and saying that it is a game that lets you run free. I guess Anet was like "lulz we got them by the balls now that they bought the game" and pulled a communist regime policy. NO game, and i mean NO game, should force you to play in a certain way. If you want to do something, as long as it doesn't violate the EULA should be allowed. That is what keeps a game fun and fresh, you do whatever you want to do, SPECIALLY in an MMO. 

If people tell you "you are playing it wrong". then sorry to say but then that is not fun and I would reply to them that their game is wrong. 

At least with a sub game they know that people won't tolerate bullshit and leave. With anet we have no recourse but to buy our own lube so our assholes don't get too stretched out from getting bent over a table at Anets will. - Hrimnir

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Its either this or a whole game full of bots farming 24/7 weekin week out.
    It will cause massive inflation on the market and damage your time investment versus the bots.

Sucks but you dont get banned that easy, and you can always give a answer if your reasons are justified.

Anet just do things diffrent, its their way of the highway, i like it, you dont.
    Personal vieuw and perspective.

Look at Aion..good god bots bots bots bots gold spamming bots bots gold spamming, and alltough you cannot stop this 100%, you can take measures to keep the number as low as posible, Anet try's this and so far its working out quite good.

Ive seen 2 bots so far, in Aion i saw 50 bots within 1 hour.

something has to give unfortunaly :(

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

That's messed up mate.

I got the full set from Citadel of Flame, full set and 2 weps, that's 2160 tokens, and I got them all from running 1 path just about 100 times.

I've also farmed in eternal battleground for Potent and Powerful Blood, and I haven't been called an exploiter.

And further more, I've also bought lvl80 green aqua breathers for about 100k karma, just to put them in the forge and get items I could sell on AH or salvage for Globs of Ecto, cause I have no need for karma.

The last one I was most scared about, considering all the bannings going on about converting karma to gold, but nothing happened.

edit: ps. I do not bot.

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

There is no official word on this yet, so I'm hoping that Anet just made a fatal mistake

and they fix it asap...

Anti-grind system for farming mobs was one thing, but for events? Big nono.

Dungeons was somehow understandable so ppl don't run only one dungeon

all the time (CoF, anyone?). (I put this action in the grey zone, white = ok, black = bad)

The reason of bot infection is that they made the ingame gold so valuable, not even funny.

The problem is that every player pay the price of this one way or another.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Voiidiin

You are wrong about dungeons, after running TA then CM story, i went to AC and was capped. Killing mobs is one of the only ways to get cloth to use for tailoring, let alone tons of other materials needed for crafting, so you are also wrong with that statement also.

I am sorry but unless you actually test what you are claming i think you need to refrain from posting about it. I know how these ridiculous caps work because i have been affected by them along with several others who have posted about this in this forum and on the official ones also.

Why can't you just farm the countless mobs in ORR or other level 70-80 zones for crafting mats again?

To be honest it is indicative of the sad state of affairs in PVE in mmos in general that the supposed end game content, the apex of pve is something that just gets "farmed".

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974
    That kinda sucks, ive been farming up a storm for mats for crafting, but didnt get anything like this...yet. I guess when I start grinding dungeoms ill get the message.
    Originally posted by Draftbeer

There is no official word on this yet, so I'm hoping that Anet just made a fatal mistake

and they fix it asap...

all the time. (I put this action in the grey zone, white = ok, black = bad)

Other games have had WAY better forms of counter bot implementations. What Anet did is, quite frankly, boreding on communism. Then again, they dont really care since there is no subscription and if people quit the game it wont hurt their bottom line.  

Bots are always an issue, every game has botters and hackers, but you never punish your playerbase to solve the problem. Now even more than before, players are going to just go buy gold fromt he farmers because Anet just did it harder for them to grind for their stuff and the farmers actually undercut Anet in gem prices so that is hilarious.

If you dont want people to run dungoens consequitively you put a lock out to the whole dungeon, you dont punish a player for choosing path A over path B, specially whent hey claimed their game was all about freedom and your story. Well guess what, its your story but you can only do what we tell you to do, otherwise you are banned/penilized.  

At least with a sub game they know that people won't tolerate bullshit and leave. With anet we have no recourse but to buy our own lube so our assholes don't get too stretched out from getting bent over a table at Anets will. - Hrimnir

• ArcaSpiffArcaSpiff Member UncommonPosts: 99
    I think i saw this on reddit... but if there are in fact DRs for completing different DEs, just by running into them by playing the game naturally, thats pretty disheartening. I dont get a whole lot of play time (being a dad as well as a working adult) so when I do play, I enjoy running into these DEs. I am not even anywhere near level cap, but the fact that I get punished in some manner by losing out on EXP and money just because I happened to have enough time to follow a few chained DEs, well thats pretty off putting.
  • lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646

I farm a lot of mats like vial of bloods, claw etc because they sell the best on TP.

After reading this..well i am not sure anymore. If this is true well.... it is dis appointing. 

*Play as you want and have fun* ins't that what their manifesto is all about?

I do not have a level 80, i make alts, i play slow, and i do not expect to have uber leet gear this soon.

While some of you did get to massively farm stuff and you now have that, others like myself cannot do that if we choose to, its no longer a choice.

As for how long i can farm mobs, its around 25-30 minutes and then diminishing returns hits, 45 mins and you get nothing,

Lolipops !

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

I was a huge blind fanboy prior to release of GW2, i loved GW2 up until 2 days ago when i was basically called an exploiter by ArenaNet and penalized for playing a game they way i wanted to. 

I like to explore, i like to do dungeons, i like PvP and WvW. I also sometimes enjoy just mindless mob grinding in an attempt to get more materials for crafting, and a bit of coin for my bank.

Basically because of the botters and scammers in GW2, ArenaNet put in place caps to how many times you can run dungeons, how many times you can do events (no not just one all of them, meaning you run 4 events in a row thats around 30 minutes you will have your rewards removed),and how many of the same type of mob you can kill. I am not an exploiter, i did do a few dungeon runs in a row to get a few levels quicker for my personal story, but i ran them in an honest fashion.

IF (please read the word IF) i was to choose to just farm mobs of the same type all day long, why am i considered an exploiter (fyi i do not choose to do this activity, but i still feel i should be able to if i wanted to) ? If ArenaNet does not want us to run dungeon after dungeon why not implement lockouts ? Instead i get to join a dungeon group and maybe my cap kicks in 1/2 way through the thing.

When i asked about this on the official forums i was pretty much discredited as a useless farmer and my play style is wrong. 

I feel lied to by ArenaNet, there manifesto is all garbage, there previous interviews claiming to let the player play the way they choose is pure lies.

I was not falling for hype, i loved the hell out of GW2 prior to the 9-18-12 update, i was lied to by ArenaNet based on a completely different game i played months ago.

These are not minor changes to the game that comes with any MMO growth, this is a very drastic change to how anyone can play this game, and how you play the game is set forth now by ArenaNet, if i had known this was going to be like this in advance i would have told them to stick it.

Just to be completely candid here, i never would have followed or even supported ArenaNet if i had known that a few weeks into the actual release they were going to drastically change the game. 

I am sure i will get flames from the pre-release haters who want to rub it in my face that they were right, but in all actuality your not, GW2 was fantastic up to that update. Also, for those blind fans of the game who cannot fault it in anyway, you need to read this with the understanding I AM A HUGE FAN OF GW2, just not how it is now.

It's a game.Every player has the right to entertain himself however he feells like. Killing mobs,dungeons runs etc etc

If the OP's above story is true, they r complete .......   .

I do not have a level 80, i make alts, i play slow, and i do not expect to have uber leet gear this soon.

While some of you did get to massively farm stuff and you now have that, others like myself cannot do that if we choose to, its no longer a choice.

As for how long i can farm mobs, its around 25-30 minutes and then diminishing returns hits, 45 mins and you get nothing,

Your numbers seems correct sir, my experience is quite close to this.

I had to include mob/area rotation to avoid DR, somehow it's not working that well

as I imagined. Something feels off.

30 mins of farming the same mob in the same area?

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    GW2 as it stands right now is anti-farmers. Sucks to be a farmer right now.
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper

Not even that, more like mobs within the same area, i was trying to get blood off of some mobs that i knew had a frequency to drop it, i moved around quite a bit included humanoids into the mix and BAM after 25 mins or so i was getting less and less, then at 45 mins or so i got nothing, i killed like 20-30 mobs after the 45 min mark, nada.

This is the same for events, and as far as i know from what others have said it does not matter the zone, you do events for that amount of time anywhere and you will get hit with the DR code.

Lolipops !

Not even that, more like mobs within the same area, i was trying to get blood off of some mobs that i knew had a frequency to drop it, i moved around quite a bit included humanoids into the mix and BAM after 25 mins or so i was getting less and less, then at 45 mins or so i got nothing, i killed like 20-30 mobs after the 45 min mark, nada.

This is the same for events, and as far as i know from what others have said it does not matter the zone, you do events for that amount of time anywhere and you will get hit with the DR code.

Funny thing, this reminds me of FF14 penalization system. It was the same garbage and everyone roared about it. Looks like Anet have no clue wtf they are doing. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The people running half a dungeon over and over, that needed fixing.

But the de having diminishing returns thing is stupid. Also if people like grinding mobs,what's the problem, that's what we all did in these older mmos.

To counter botting.
    1 lower prices for stuff
    Or 2 make more things available for influence and increase Influence rewards,make these things bop
    3 put big ass dangerous wandering mobs in "farming areas"
    4 introduce bot and gold seller reporting tools
    5 ban bots, gold sellers and most importantly gold buyers
    6 put in temporary ban on mailing other players gold, until it dies down
    7 do the half a dungeon route fix that they have done
    8 clamp down on multiserver guilds farming WvW (thankfully not happening my cluster)

Same area as in part of a zone, or a whole zone/map? I ask because it seems like if you just move about from map to map you could get in several hours of farming per day quite easily.

Originally posted by KhinRunite

I'm an angry farmer then.

DR code? I say down with it!

Get your forks and torches my fellow farmer comrades!

Originally posted by KhinRunite

Umm how is running events in the same zone considered farming? Can you explain this to me ? DEs are suppossed to be the main source of progression in this game how does this make any sense ?

DO NOT, try to tell me hearts are suppossed to be the main source of progression, it has been said OVER and OVER by ArenaNet that hearts are exactly NOT that.

As the title says, ArenaNet wants you to play the way they think you should play the game, and if you do not they call you an exploiter and "Fix" how you play.

I am not a hardcore farmer, i just want to get crafting materials for myself and my kid who plays with me, how am i int he same league as a botter who sells gold and spams chat of other players ?

Lolipops !

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by sr7olsniper
    Originally posted by Draftbeer

and they fix it asap...

all the time. (I put this action in the grey zone, white = ok, black = bad)

Other games have had WAY better forms of counter bot implementations. What Anet did is, quite frankly, boreding on communism. Then again, they dont really care since there is no subscription and if people quit the game it wont hurt their bottom line.  

Bots are always an issue, every game has botters and hackers, but you never punish your playerbase to solve the problem. Now even more than before, players are going to just go buy gold fromt he farmers because Anet just did it harder for them to grind for their stuff and the farmers actually undercut Anet in gem prices so that is hilarious.

If you dont want people to run dungoens consequitively you put a lock out to the whole dungeon, you dont punish a player for choosing path A over path B, specially whent hey claimed their game was all about freedom and your story. Well guess what, its your story but you can only do what we tell you to do, otherwise you are banned/penilized.  

You apparently do not know what communism is. ANet's actions have nothing to do with communism.

You mean over-regulation. They are attempting to regulate the ingame economy by keeping people (gold farmers? bots?) from flooding the markets with items/mats/etc. and ingame currency and creating havoc with prices.

The changes suck... no bones about it.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

Originally posted by sr7olsniper

Funny thing, this reminds me of FF14 penalization system. It was the same garbage and everyone roared about it. Looks like Anet have no clue wtf they are doing. 

Since when Jay Wilson working for ANet?

This discussion has been closed.