Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter: Guardian Fighter Trailer

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Cryptic Studios has released a new trailer featuring the heavily-armored Guardian Fighter, one of the character classes that will ship with Neverwinter. IGN got the first scoop. Check it out HERE.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Kaelano1Kaelano1 Member Posts: 375

Hmm, eq2 has a guardian class and it's a fighter...

I don't remember any "guardians" when i played D&D...

• SicaeSicae Member Posts: 110
    Originally posted by Kaelano1

Guardian fighters refers to fighters using sword and board.

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

It's not a "Guardian" class it's one of the "FIghter" class's martial tradition, like "Great weapon fighter".

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Fighter#Guardian_fighter

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    wait.. is this still d&d? as a normal action game it looked fine. As a neverwinter it loked terrible.
    Originally posted by Unshra

It's not a "Guardian" class it's one of the "FIghter" class's martial tradition, like "Great weapon fighter".

Man, I'm glad you found that link. All I found on google was a pic of a chosen http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/File:Guardian.jpg and I was about to clown some mullets.

Thanks for that.

edit: Although, I find it dubious that it's cited from a book published in 2008, when eq2 released 4 years prior, but that's not Cryptic's fault.

• ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    When the beta will be released ?
  • GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Looks great, just wonder how dependent the game will be on cash shop.....
  • DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

haha

do we embrace the future of the D&D "fighter" as making explosive fissures across the earth with his one-handed sword, or do we laugh

I'm laughing now but who knows, maybe I won't be when it becomes the expected norm of D&D

• RanyrRanyr Member UncommonPosts: 212

Old slow combat is in the past for online gaming, "rolling dice is for real life."

Going to go ahead and copyright that saying now.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I agree with the above poster. Why dislike that D&D is changing in computer games? The real D&D is still there for you to play in RL. Moving D&D to gaming in the first place was a massive change to known systems.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203
    Originally posted by Vannor
    I agree with the above poster. Why dislike that D&D is changing in computer games? The real D&D is still there for you to play in RL. Moving D&D to gaming in the first place was a massive change to known systems.

Yeah, but you have to keep in mind: We *did* complain back then, too, and we have never stopped! :)

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112
    This game will burn.
  • Leviathon77Leviathon77 Member UncommonPosts: 42

Man, I'm glad you found that link. All I found on google was a pic of a chosen http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/File:Guardian.jpg and I was about to clown some mullets.

Thanks for that.

edit: Although, I find it dubious that it's cited from a book published in 2008, when eq2 released 4 years prior, but that's not Cryptic's fault.

Really, we are talking about EQ being copied by D&D? Oh you youngins fail at realizing the roots of all these western MMOs and RPGs trace their origins to D&D. 2008 copying 2004 ideas, how about the 1970s ideas being copied since the 90s.

Originally posted by Leviathon77

Thanks for that.

Really, we are talking about EQ being copied by D&D? Oh you youngins fail at realizing the roots of all these western MMOs and RPGs trace their origins to D&D. 2008 copying 2004 ideas, how about the 1970s ideas being copied since the 90s.

Roleplaying as a diversion existed since time immemorial. Roleplaying in such a fantasy setting format existed in colleges decades before Gygax's systems produced by TSR. This is no longer "Gygax's TSR"... it's WotC. Yes, today, WotC is party to "copying" or "ripping off" other games as much as the next guy.

Having an "orc" or an "elf" or a "ranger" in a game certainly doesn't evoke accusations of plaegiarism any more than "warrior" or "fighter" or "rogue". A game would cross a red line, however adding terms such as "rust monster" or "Illithid" or "roper". Truly there was no "guardian" fighter class or martial discipline in D&D until after EQ2 had one.

If D&D is to be considered so innovative why doesn't it stick to terms or labels used in that 1970s-early 1980s incarnation? Why not myrmidon or champion; level "titles" from first edition? Why can't they make something wherein I can't "point" and say, "That is from something else."?

Because they don't care to do that...

...and that is a big part of what makes me ill in this genre.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Love how the commentor says "dozens of abilities" which is kinda ironic  image

Left n right mouse clicks, 2-3 encounter abilitiies, 2 dailies, one dodge quivilent ability just doesn't sound all too great to me.  While I love D&D and was extremely stoked at one point if time for Neverwinter but seriously wonder how the combat will turn out.  Pretty much it's like playing one with one weapon in GW2 plus a dodge plus an elite skill.  While I agree that like in WoW you had too many abilities (which is kinda a bogus arguements as your main abilities can be narrowed down to 15 or so) but what I see in Neverwinter is too few.  Had high hopes for Neverwitner and still somewhat do but the combat does worry me.

And gawd... that bobbity bob bob  combat stance is driving me nuts.

• Dward127Dward127 Member Posts: 46
    bet that some of the classes will be gender and race locked to and grindy as all the asian mmos.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Looks great, cant wait to play.
  • munecaroonmunecaroon Member Posts: 88
    I would love to see a MPOG staff member step in and write a blog article about how close "Neverwinter" sticks to D&D. Can be nerdy as heck, np
  • munecaroonmunecaroon Member Posts: 88
    Oh and a comparision "Neverwinter" -VS- "DDO" sil vous plait!
  • BloodyVikingBloodyViking Member UncommonPosts: 132

Ok whow, just saw through the trailer and it looks like shit. Very WoW-ish combat style and seemed extremely simplified with abilities autoset to mousebutton 1 and 2.

Compared to the existing Dungeons & Dragons Online what was seen in that video was really craptastic and superficial. The only redeeming side was "better" graphics. Yet not really better since they were very cartoonish and DDO has quite a lot of nice detail and color on high settings. I guess I would characterize it as seeming more plastique and shiny.

Was looking forward to more info in Neverwinter but this really was way worse than I expected. DDO at least has a huge customization side to it in terms of character design. I guess the relevant class to compare with Guardian would be the Stalwart Defender in DDO, and that is a prestige class you can delve into as long as you have at least 6 fighter levels. So you have a lot of mix and match in DDO. Neverwinter sounded more rigid and boxed in.

Stylewise I would say Neverwinter looked like it caters more to the WoW/console crowd. Definitely not my cup of tea (although WoW was great at one point pre-Cataclysm).

Dungeons & Dragons Online > Neverwinter  (Round 1)

Oh, and here is a link to a video of a Stalwart Defender fighter soloing an Epic Elite quest in DDO;