Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forced to change name

I was a subscriber since day one and I was forced to change my name since the merge. I was unsubribed for 15 days then I just resubbed back  today. Atleast I was bale to get my money back. And Yes I am attchated to my name :(  I was happy to come back to the game too :(

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

My friend quit SWTOR for the very same reason, but his name was purposely stolen and he was mocked as customer support took weeks to tell him basically that they weren't going to do anything about the theft or the harrassment, so he dropped out.

Awesome avatar by the way, I love that movie :)

• fuzzi1983fuzzi1983 Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by Eir_S

My friend quit SWTOR for the very same reason, but his name was purposely stolen and he was mocked as customer support took weeks to tell him basically that they weren't going to do anything about the theft or the harrassment, so he dropped out.

Awesome avatar by the way, I love that movie :)

Ty I appreciate it.... Its just dissapointing :(  I was so happy that I got the name on day one....then I leave for 15 days then poof...then i read on the forums even ppl that are still subbed lst their names. 

• GamefunGamefun Member Posts: 290

Almost everyone quit after all this nonsense from EAware, since Bioware completely quit the industry as the co founders decided to jump ship and quit for good. Just look at all the posts on the SWTOR forums, people are extremely pissed at EAware.

Most of the people are gonna quit over it, not very surprising, after all they screwed over so many people with forced server merges and random name changes. I'm just glad I quit long ago when the game went down hill due to EA being in the spotlight over Bioware.

Originally posted by Gamefun

Almost everyone quit after all this nonsence from EAware, since Bioware completely quit the industry as the co founders decided to jump ship and quit for good. Just look at all the posts on the SWTOR forums, people are extremely pissed at EAware.

Most of the people are gonna quit over it, not very surprising, after all they screwed over so many people with forced server merges and random name changes. I'm just glad I quit long ago when the game went down hill due to EA being in the spotlight over Bioware.

Yea I am reading the forums now. Call it nerd rage. But I am dissapointed :(   I am a fan of star wars and I did enjoy the game to a point. But don't take my name :P

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

Man, I really feel your pain.  I quit Warhammer Online for the same reason.  Was a subscriber since day one, survived 1 server merged, but on the 2nd merger, some asshole took my name on the new server before I could get it.

I petitioned, but they said since the character was higher than level 5 (he was 6) and not level 1, then there was nothing they could do about it.

It's hard to go from a name everyone recognizes in PvP (since I did a ton ton ton ton ton of that) to a new name that you thought of on the fly and turn out to hate.

Sucks man :-/

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

I told them they can keep my money if I could keep my name. But no...but wow! The officail forums are on fire! I think they did something wrong. Bioware prolly wont address this will they
  • GamefunGamefun Member Posts: 290
    Originally posted by fuzzi1983
    I told them they can keep my money if I could keep my name. But no...but wow! The officail forums are on fire! I think they did something wrong. Bioware prolly wont address this will they

Bioware is gone bro, it's EAware that screwed this up. Coincidence that both co founders quit right after this forced server merge and forced random name change?. lols @ EA. EA killed all credibility for themselves now.

Arrow to the knee?, I think more like 4 billion arrows to the knee which has been shattered into oblivion.

Originally posted by fuzzi1983

Bioware is gone bro, it's EAware that screwed this up. Coincidence that both co founders quit right after this forced server merge and forced random name change?. lols @ EA. EA killed all credibility for themselves now.

Arrow to the knee?, I think more like 4 billion arrows to the knee which has been shattered into oblivion.

Yea I see now. I will get over it. And move on....poor star wars.....  in other news heres a pic from warhammer back in the day :D image

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Almost everyone quit after all this nonsense from EAware, since Bioware completely quit the industry as the co founders decided to jump ship and quit for good. Just look at all the posts on the SWTOR forums, people are extremely pissed at EAware.   Most of the people are gonna quit over it, not very surprising, after all they screwed over so many people with forced server merges and random name changes. I'm just glad I quit long ago when the game went down hill due to EA being in the spotlight over Bioware.

I am extremely glad I went with my gut & quit at the end of early access & sold my boxed game.
  • tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

Bioware can;t seem to get out of its own way.

Granted, server merges are tricky to begin with, but Bioware seems to have really fropped the ball in regard to player's names.

With their much touted Legacy system, you would think they would have a leg up on dealing with the situation. The legacy system gives each charcter both a first and a last name. The possability of duplicate names during a merger becomes much smaller if the two name combination is taken into account.

This is not what Bioware did.

To get past the problem of dupicate last names, they made an across the board descion that Legacy names were no longer required to be unique.

This upset quite a few people.

To add injury to insult, Bioware announced that charcters first names had to be unique. They completely disregarded the easy compromise that charcters' names would have to be a unique combination of first and last names. (It also shows how tacked on the Legacy system was to the rushed released SWTOR.)

To add to the confusion, the forced server mergers treats players from the destination and the origin servers equally.

In other words, if you were playing on the server the Prophecy of Five, and someone transfering from the closed Fatman server had the same first name as you, it was entirely possible for the Prophecy of Five player having to change their name even though they hadn't switched servers.

The algorithim that the game uses to determine who gets to keep their name is that the computer checks to see if either player had to change their name previously due to server merges. If one player had changed names already and the other has not, the player who had previously switched names keeps the name. If that challenge is a tie, whichever charcter has the larger of amount of time played on that charcter gets to keep the name.

You might say, "So what? It's just a name." Well, players get pretty attached to those names. More importantly, it's pissed off a big chunk of players, and SWTOR is rapidly running out of big chunks of players to piss off.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

Not to pile it on, well screw it, I'll pile on.

Bioware not getting that people woul be upset that they lose their names is just another example of their SRPG mentality bleeding through into their MMORPG game.

They say it's all about "Your Story", but in actuality, your story is pretty much exactly the same as everyone else the same class as you. Due to Bioware's stagnant endgame and poor itemization strategies, everyone is pretty much running around in the same equipment. Furthermore, everyone is eunning around with the same (named) companions. The only thing left unique for players was their names. In a game where "Legacy" was supposed to be important, they trashed the players' names.

Just as a contrasting example of design philopophies, Vanilla WoW didn't have a companion system persay, but it did have Warlock and Hunter's pets. The player got to name their pets. Focusing on the Hunter class, players had to decide you their companion was going to be. This simple game mechanic was far more personalized and expressed a players individuaity far better  then the entire SWTOR companion system. Not to mention a hunter deciding what creature in the wild to tame didn't require milliions of dollars of fully voiced, animated cut-scenes.

In case it wasn't blazingly apparent, I'm not a big fan of the companion system. It feels like an unatural grafting of KOTOR onto a MMO.

So I got a good night  sleep. Went to work....had a good day!  Came home and remember swtor. *&^*&^(*&(&* I wanted to kick the cat or something. Oh well. If I really wanted to play I guess I could think of another name. But I agree with all of you. They needed to come up with a better way of doing it. 
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Quitting over a name? Really?

Dig deep in your mind why did you really quit, because this is a poor excuse LOL. Unless it's just a great reason to flame these forums.

I am subscriber from the day one and guess what I got 16 character transferred and lost only one name on character I made frew days ago, so it's not a rule. Somebody had to make the character with your name earlier then you. Tough luck, use your creative brain to make up some cooler name...

Sure thing, we would all like to keep the name we chose, but hey... even if I would have to rename all my characters it would not bother me at all. names are just combinations of letters, that's all.....

Edit: Free service on SWTOR forums :) Enjoy

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=534326

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Quitting over a name? Really?

Dig deep in your mind why did you really quit, because this is a poor excuse LOL. Unless it's just a great reason to flame these forums.

I am subscriber from the day one and guess what I got 16 character transferred and lost only one name on character I made frew days ago, so it's not a rule. Somebody had to make the character with your name earlier then you. Tough luck, use your creative brain to make up some cooler name...

Sure thing, we would all like to keep the name we chose, but hey... even if I would have to rename all my characters it would not bother me at all. names are just combinations of letters, that's all.....

I take it you didn't read the whole post. So I give you a quote you made "really?"  Unfortuanlly its more than that. And if you read the offical forums they did not release exactly how they came up with the formula on how who gets to change name. And yes I was there since beta and day one.  So congratz I guess? This really did not effect you? Considering you ony lost one name?  *golf clap. 

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

I have no sympathy for anyone quitting over a name change.

Sometimes you just have to accept things as they are. You aren't always going to have it your way. What would have happend if you created your very first character a year ago and the name was already taken? Ragequit or thought of another name? suck it up and play the game. If the name was already taken, it wasn't all that unique anyways...

Originally posted by Psychow

I have no sympathy for anyone quitting over a name change.

Sometimes you just have to accept things as they are. You aren't always going to have it your way. What would have happend if you created your very first character a year ago and the name was already taken? Ragequit or thought of another name? suck it up and play the game. If the name was already taken, it wasn't all that unique anyways...

I guesss you don't understand the concept of getting excited for a video game. Making sure you stay up and reserve your name on a server your guild chose. And if you pull the card "get a life" then why are you even on these forums. We all been there. We all understand that we want to make the best of an mmo. And if someone was forced to do something, then they have the right to get a little upset. Have a liite compasion. I mean not eveyone use the random name generstor :P

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

This games got 99 problems but a name aint one of them...lol.

Sorry, someone had to do it.

Originally posted by rdrakken

This games got 99 problems but a name aint one of them...lol.

Sorry, someone had to do it.

lol true story

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    I was super excited about GW2. But someone STOLE my Ranger's name (Legolas) so I ragequit....
    Originally posted by tiefighter25

Not to pile it on, well screw it, I'll pile on.

Bioware not getting that people woul be upset that they lose their names is just another example of their SRPG mentality bleeding through into their MMORPG game.

They say it's all about "Your Story", but in actuality, your story is pretty much exactly the same as everyone else the same class as you. Due to Bioware's stagnant endgame and poor itemization strategies, everyone is pretty much running around in the same equipment. Furthermore, everyone is eunning around with the same (named) companions. The only thing left unique for players was their names. In a game where "Legacy" was supposed to be important, they trashed the players' names.

Just as a contrasting example of design philopophies, Vanilla WoW didn't have a companion system persay, but it did have Warlock and Hunter's pets. The player got to name their pets. Focusing on the Hunter class, players had to decide you their companion was going to be. This simple game mechanic was far more personalized and expressed a players individuaity far better  then the entire SWTOR companion system. Not to mention a hunter deciding what creature in the wild to tame didn't require milliions of dollars of fully voiced, animated cut-scenes.

In case it wasn't blazingly apparent, I'm not a big fan of the companion system. It feels like an unatural grafting of KOTOR onto a MMO.

I agree with you there. They should of added the ability to change companion names too. They kinda killed the idea when it was part of the story though