Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

if GW2 was P2P

2»

Comments

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    I would. I've all ready put a lot of dough into the cash shop lol

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• PixilatedPixilated Member UncommonPosts: 30

G2 is good fun , but no I would'nt sub. for it, I paid

$80 and I'll get about 5-6 months of play time out of it,

that itself equals close to $15 a month. 

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Oh, what a surprise, another of those posts!

Yes, I would pay 13 euros per months for this game right now. I actually spent 30 euros in the cash shop for additional bank slots and some starter gold for my first character. It's still less than my two WoW accounts.

And I'm going to keep laughing my ass off at people trolling here but paying for way worse games which have not only a cash shop, but also a monthly subscriptions. Talk about cows being ready to be milked.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by david361107

I picked up GW2 with some friends of mine and we all agree that GW2 isn't all that. My question is do you think half the people would be playing today if GW2 had the $14.99 a month fee? i think not, just my option.

Peace

Lascer

I would deffinitely cancel before they billed me if this was a sub game, being as it is already paid for I'll likely mess with it some here and there.

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

nope, i wont even think of subbing after the 1st month

call me what you want, but this game got me hyped too much, i almost did entire content in the space of 3 weeks

yes, i know i am still missing a lot, like completing maps, doing explorable, but none of that make me want to log back in to the game just to complete Vista, POI and WPs

yes, to some people, this game rocks, and i agree, it is a nice game, but i am sure this game is also not for everyone

So What Now?

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    If GW2 was P2P, I wouldn't play it at all.  Why?  Because I don't play P2P games.  I'd hate that I couldn't play it because I love GW1 so much but to me P2P is basically just a ripoff.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Just stop.  This thread has already been done to death, there's a huge one that took place just weeks ago.
  • ProbertProbert Member Posts: 18

Thats not really a fair question as the game was not designed in that fashion, this games mass appeal is that its FREE after the box price. They designed the game for that.

I'm not getting into whether or not the game is good or not. (Just saying a monkey could play this game and get by all this "challenging" content that people speak off)

Originally posted by evolver1972
    If GW2 was P2P, I wouldn't play it at all.  Why?  Because I don't play P2P games.  I'd hate that I couldn't play it because I love GW1 so much but to me P2P is basically just a ripoff.

Proven fact, players spend MORE to play p2w  games then sub games. The only time sub is a rip off is if bad game is bad.  WoW pre lich king, DAOC pre TOA, EQ2 a year ago, eq1, were all worthy of a sub, especially given the time I played.  I think sub fees should be lower. But it eliminates pay 2 win plus I dont get annoying adds that ruin my immersion talking about DOUBLE CASH FRIDAYS PEOPLE!!! used car salesmen are part of the real world, keep them out of my mmorpg.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Wouldn't pay. Its fun enough for B2P (though not quite sure its worth the full price to me honestly) though its not worth it to P2P. 
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by KingGator

Proven fact, players spend MORE to play p2w  games then sub games. The only time sub is a rip off is if bad game is bad.  WoW pre lich king, DAOC pre TOA, EQ2 a year ago, eq1, were all worthy of a sub, especially given the time I played.  I think sub fees should be lower. But it eliminates pay 2 win plus I dont get annoying adds that ruin my immersion talking about DOUBLE CASH FRIDAYS PEOPLE!!! used car salesmen are part of the real world, keep them out of my mmorpg.

I have yet to find anything "pay to win" in GW2 and I've been playing it for 267 hours since early access, not counting beta time. All I've bought I could have lived without easily - bank slots? I have 3 unused alts outfitted with 10 slot bags which are empty. Starter gold? Yeah, I converted gems to 1g for my first char, but I could have done without it too. All I paid for was pure comfort, nothing was mandatory to play the game.

Misinformation is sad. It's the last resort of those who have no better arguments.

Want a "pay 2 win" game? Go look at LOTRO. That's a game where you can NOT "win" without paying. To get the best gear of the game, notably weapons, you will have to pay a lot. That's definitely not the case in GW2. You can get the best gear and gain access to all game content without paying a cent more than the initial game purchase.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Proven fact, some players spend MORE to play p2w  games then sub games. The only time sub is a rip off is if bad game is bad.  WoW pre lich king, DAOC pre TOA, EQ2 a year ago, eq1, were all worthy of a sub, especially given the time I played.  I think sub fees should be lower. But it eliminates pay 2 win plus I dont get annoying adds that ruin my immersion talking about DOUBLE CASH FRIDAYS PEOPLE!!! used car salesmen are part of the real world, keep them out of my mmorpg.

Fixed it for you.  Also, GW2 is not Pay2Win.  It's not F2P.  It's B2P.  I've yet to see an ad in GW2 telling me to go spend money in the CS.

You do realize your post has absolutely nothing to do with GW2, right?

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by david361107

I picked up GW2 with some friends of mine and we all agree that GW2 isn't all that. My question is do you think half the people would be playing today if GW2 had the $14.99 a month fee? i think not, just my option.

Peace

Lascer

I picked up WoW with some friends of mine and we all agree that WoW isn't all that. My question is do you think half the people would be playing today if WoW had no sub and was 100% P2W? I think not, just my option.

Peace

Me

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

I'd give it a go, but I'm not an altaholic in P2P games, so I'd get to 80 and mess around then unsub and forget about the game most likely.  ArenaNet would just be another company in a mess of others.

As it is though, they stand out as special, by willing to provide a quality experience for less money.  In a way, I see ArenaNet as a gaming company run by people who love to play games, not just a bunch of analysts milking customers for every last dollar.

Being B2P, I'll be playing alts at my leasure.  What a great way to get people involved with your game.  I expect content x-pacs to come out frequently though (like 1 or 2 per year) .. so players still have to spend money to be up-to-date.  As long as I feel like I'm getting my money's worth (this is where other MMO companies fail), I'll keep spending.

The amount of people using the cash shop is incredible anyways (judging how many cash-shop gems players are trading for the gold earned by non-paying folk).  I don't think ArenaNet needs a subscription plan to make this game rake in some dough.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Yes I'd probably be paying a monthly fee to play this, one of the better MMO's I've played in 10+ years, SWG, UO and City of Heroes ranks up there for me and now GW2.

• EnikEnik Member UncommonPosts: 99
    No. I've only played for probably an hour or two in the last week. I am happy with its B2P status, because I like it, but I don't love it.
  • JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    GW2 is better then the majority of P2P and cash shop "required" games out there. Unfortunatly that isn't saying much at all. I'm gonna have to go with no it would ultimately share the fate of SWTOR if it was P2P, mainly because the game was not built to last. Most will be done with it in 2 months and never come back.
  • YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Probably not, in spite of how much I enjoy it, mainly because I am a huge pennypincher and don't want to have to dish out extra money on top of a box price; if I wanted that, I'd just buy the next WoW expansion.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    I stopped playing for the moment.  I wouldn't sub right away but I also wouldn't have bought the game if there was a sub.
  • chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291
    I would still play, and probably pay up to $25 a month depending on my money holding.
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

I would be paying, for both myself and my wife. GW2 really brings me back to my original MMO days, in games like Asheron's Call, DAoC, etc. Instead of feeling like I have to plow through leveling to get to 80 to "start the game", I can relax and enjoy myself as I level. Stopping to craft, going off to explore lower level areas I haven't visited. Taking breaks from pve with sPvP and WvW.

It's not a game for everyone, but it's certainly a game for me.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Proven fact, some spend MORE to play p2w  games then sub games. The only time sub is a rip off is if bad game is bad.  WoW pre lich king, DAOC pre TOA, EQ2 a year ago, eq1, were all worthy of a sub, especially given the time I played.  I think sub fees should be lower. But it eliminates pay 2 win plus I dont get annoying adds that ruin my immersion talking about DOUBLE CASH FRIDAYS PEOPLE!!! used car salesmen are part of the real world, keep them out of my mmorpg.

Had to fix that by the way GW2 isn't a pay to win game so speak that shit in actual thread about an actual P2W game.

I don't know if I will get reported for saying  that but reall recognize fucking real.

Though for fact I know I wouldn't keep playing GW 2 after atleast one sub because honestly subs are a freaking ripoff, so I do agree with evolver.

I also agree with the haters maybe not their reason but I just dislike P2P, I mean gameplay has a factor in it to because I swear to God Himself, I would not play this game if it was B2P but had WoW gameplay I'm sorry but that's the truth and nothing but the truth from me. I would not play this game for long if at all if it where P2P(I didn't even sub to TSW, used that to pass time was a good game though but the P2P stopped me). And wouldn't touch it if when I tried it out in beta it was like WoW.

Enjoy life and peace.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

Proven fact, some players spend MORE to play p2w  games then sub games. The only time sub is a rip off is if bad game is bad.  WoW pre lich king, DAOC pre TOA, EQ2 a year ago, eq1, were all worthy of a sub, especially given the time I played.  I think sub fees should be lower. But it eliminates pay 2 win plus I dont get annoying adds that ruin my immersion talking about DOUBLE CASH FRIDAYS PEOPLE!!! used car salesmen are part of the real world, keep them out of my mmorpg.

Fixed it for you.  Also, GW2 is not Pay2Win.  It's not F2P.  It's B2P.  I've yet to see an ad in GW2 telling me to go spend money in the CS.

You do realize your post has absolutely nothing to do with GW2, right?

You do realize my comment was about payment models in general and not gw2 specifically. Amazing how militant you people are.