Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: A BioWare Without 'The Doctors'

Comments

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I fully agree that EA needs to die, they're in the process of ruining DICE as well. They were voted the worst gaming company this year and they're hurting on money as well (hence the mass layoffs this past summer), so that wish may come true soon.

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Good luck to the doctors, they made some great games in the past. I think it's a good sign for gamers that some of the obvious cash grab games aren't doing well. Hopefully the quality of games will start to improve instead of constantly getting worse like they have for some time now imo.

• AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Please: Someone graph the metacritic user (not critic) scores and release dates for all Bioware games, including the point where EA buys them. A picture worth a thousand posts?
  • YolenYolen Member Posts: 14

EA is obviously run by people who DONT play games and have mediocre idea about the gaming industry. Getting swallowed by EA is the WORST thing that could happen to a company, too bad it happened to a fantastic company like Bioware.

PS. Nobody expects the Inquisition, anyone?

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    EA needs to go and burn on planet mars. do it. Bioware>EA

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186

Sadness...

But happy trails, sometimes you gotta go do something else...

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I have first hand experience of two cultures like this not mixing.  I worked for many years in large financial organisations.  The 1st one was all about the 'Art' side and would take a long time to ensure everything was just right and any financial software release was on a 6 month cycle.

I then went to the other side where the organisation knew it was putting out crap code but they made a ton of cash quick. Their development cycyle was 6 weeks.  Developers who wanted the 'Art' type of environment left and those that just wanted the cash stayed. Interestingly their methodology was, 'we will release crap code for trading platforms then scrap it 2 months later'.

I enjoyed success at both organisations but its amazing to see the differences in the same industry.  I personally feel Bioware is just a name now with EA trying to maximise any cash from its goodwill.  Once that is gone the name will go with it. 

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

When EA comes knocking on the door with millions in cash, it is the death knell for your company. You will filthy rich, but your company will be Doctor Doom'ed.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    Ah finally they broke free from EA's disastrous grasp, which is founded on lies and greed. 6 months recovery and rest time for the doctors and they'll be back up and running a new studio re-igniting those original Bioware values :)

From your fingers to the Doctors' eyes.

I think someone else might be close to the truth of it... they probably have a non-compete they have to fulfill before they can get back into games. Hopefully they will.

And hopefully next time they'll steer clear of EA.

Bioware (the old Bioware) crafted games. EA produces "product".
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by NaughtyP

When EA comes knocking on the door with millions in cash, it is the death knell for your company. You will filthy rich, but your company will be Doctor Doom'ed.

I wonder if they come wearing Grim Reaper outfits.

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452
    I'll believe these two are "retired" from the Gaming world about the same time I see that 1st pig fly...There is a long story here...This is just the tip of the iceberg...Oh and the iceberg's name is SWTOR...
  • gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I've already given up on Bioware. They will never be a great company so long as they're a part of EA, and they'll never get rid of EA as long as they are Bioware. It's a done deal, completely over. I haven't bought a game from them in many years and I have no intention of ever changing that. I say good riddance to the doctors, I wish it happened sooner. True, they were behind the beginnngs of Bioware when they were great, but it's also true that the sellout to EA would never have happened without them. Now years later they're rich as can be off making beer or whatever, essentially tossing their company's name and its playerbase to the dogs for that extra yacht.

To hell with everyone involved, at least when they get my money they'll be the first to feel the drop in temp.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• happyfartshappyfarts Member UncommonPosts: 94
    It's always sad to see the minds behind such classics throw in the towel :(
  • SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231
    Bioware is dead, close down the company and stop embarassing yourselves. DA2, ME3 and SWToR were their downfall. They went from superb writing and deep gameplay to cliché, streamline and pure shit.
  • SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer

I've already given up on Bioware. They will never be a great company so long as they're a part of EA, and they'll never get rid of EA as long as they are Bioware. It's a done deal, completely over. I haven't bought a game from them in many years and I have no intention of ever changing that. I say good riddance to the doctors, I wish it happened sooner. True, they were behind the beginnngs of Bioware when they were great, but it's also true that the sellout to EA would never have happened without them. Now years later they're rich as can be off making beer or whatever, essentially tossing their company's name and its playerbase to the dogs for that extra yacht.

To hell with everyone involved, at least when they get my money they'll be the first to feel the drop in temp.

QFT. I remember when Bioware first sold out and I went "wtf, why? They are doing great.". And then Muzyka was high up somewhere at EA, yeeeah, not obvious what happened there.

• shavashava Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Originally posted by Grixxitt
    The doctors in question will likely come back to the industry as soon as the no-compete clause expires on the Bioware sale contract.

Yup, blogged that on Gamasutra last night.  Both Canada and California recognize non-compete clauses when they come with the sale of goodwill in a merger&acquisition contract.  I wrote the article, tweeted the link to the docs saying I didn't really expect they could send me a comment back -- they were saying "thanks" "thanks" "thanks" or something to every tweet -- and not a peep back to me.

So go fig.  That sounds like a pretty loud "no comment."  ;)

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/ShavaNerad/20120919/177911/The_countdown_to_Bioware_II_begins_today.php

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Article started out well, but it turned into a blind confidence in a company that doesn't exiat anymore.

Ever since EA took over Bioware the evidence is clear that their games have all been dog crap.

So having confidence in them is.... foolish.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Probably the best story orientated game maker out there, sad to see what ea has done to them. Makes you wish they were bought by another company. Oh well
  • MMartianMMartian Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

BioWare makes single-player games.

This again?!?

Retort: Blizzard made single-player games before making WoW. The guys that made UO made single-player games before UO.

BW attempted to branch out and made an MMO they thought everyone would love. They were wrong, but not because "they make single-player games".

It was obvious from all the hype and mis-information in the pre-launch hype that SW:TOR had an excelent chance of failing.

I had friends that wanted to play it so I joined them there. So I know how much of what the pre-launch claimed as new and innovative was simply an overuse of what other games had. An overuse that actually harmed instead of helping the player experience.

I also find it funny that many of the people that have boycotted SWG over the years and stood up before the release of SW:TOR stood up shouted how much better it would be than SWG.  Now these people wish for the return of the November 2011 version of SWG. Maybe if they had not boycotted SWG SW:TOR may not have happened or would have been designed along better lines.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    Quality Control & the overall guiding vision of the company will be gone along with them. RIP Bioware.
  • SismanSisman Member UncommonPosts: 3

its not about bioware. bioware always did what they could to do a great game. its about ea who set limits on their great work and kinda destroyed some of their cool ip's.

• JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960
    I'm sure it'll get buried since I'm reading this late, but this news and the article here really reminded me of a great YouTube video made by MrBtongue four or five months ago; it touches on almost every point in the above article, and the suggestion at the 11:40 mark is almost eerie. It's really a tremendous video. It may border on well-reasoned conjecture (or cross over entirely from time to time), but it's thoroughly entertaining conjecture.
  • BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112
    Could it be they had enough of what EA does to Bioware ?
  • YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by KyngBills
    I'll believe these two are "retired" from the Gaming world about the same time I see that 1st pig fly...There is a long story here...This is just the tip of the iceberg...Oh and the iceberg's name is SWTOR...

Like I've said once before, we already have cat copters, Pigs flying might be closer than you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HnwhGgsgXc

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827
    Originally posted by Blindchance
    Could it be they had enough of what EA does to Bioware ?

Probably, but they did sell their company to EA. So how can one only make EA to be the devil here (it probably is tho).