Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

if GW2 was P2P

david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279

I picked up GW2 with some friends of mine and we all agree that GW2 isn't all that. My question is do you think half the people would be playing today if GW2 had the $14.99 a month fee? i think not, just my option.

Peace

Lascer

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Yes I would. 2nd best current mmo after eve (but I'm all eve'd out).

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

A good game is a good game regardless of monthly fee or no monthly fee. So even if GW2 had a monthly fee people would still play . Millions pay sub for WOW so money is not the issue although some people blow 'monthly sub' out of proportions on these forums.

Is gameplay fun? that is all that matters.

(GW2 being good is completely subjective though, as not everyone think its worth their money).

• david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279

Don't get me wrong, GW2 is ok but I don't think the 2nd best. I just believe that if everyone was paying the $14.99 a month that the pop would start to decline a lot after the first month. Which leads me to believe that maybe they have something here, buy the game, no monthly fee, keep your subs high waiting for the $60.00 update to come out..lol

Peace

Lascer

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I think people would be going nuts right now. If you think it's getting ugly now, imagine if there was a sub.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

No, i wouldn't.

I for the most part love the game, but I'd refuse to pay a monthly fee.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    Originally posted by david361107

Don't get me wrong, GW2 is ok but I don't think the 2nd best. I just believe that if everyone was paying the $14.99 a month that the pop would start to decline a lot after the first month. Which leads me to believe that maybe they have something here, buy the game, no monthly fee, keep your subs high waiting for the $60.00 update to come out..lol

Peace

Lascer

They already stated future expansions would be free, they're just going to expand upon the cash shop.

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    Personally, I'd pay a million dollars a month to play it(not really), but I would pay to play. Saying pop would decline after the first month is only stating the obvious repeating trend of every MMO. Every MMO no matter how great or amazing has a MASSIVE population for the first month until people realize "Oh, I have to shell out $14.99 a month ot keep playing..."

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Agoden

Peace

Lascer

They already stated future expansions would be free, they're just going to expand upon the cash shop.

where they say that? Iv'e read future content patches would be free but full expansion would be paid for

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Peace

Lascer

ok that's a very bad idea because it could end up being a "pay to win" game, that would really suck.

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Peace

Lascer

where they say that? Iv'e read future content patches would be free but full expansion would be paid for

thats what i heard too, just didn't want to try to correct him :)

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

I picked up GW2 with some friends of mine and we all agree that GW2 isn't all that. My question is do you think half the people would be playing today if GW2 had the $14.99 a month fee? i think not, just my option.

Peace

Lascer

Simple answer is no.  Of course they'll lose 50% of the player base , which is good because those 50% are destroying the aspect of what GW2 is suppose to be.  The remaining 50% will be the remaining fans / hardcore fans of GW2 that will help bring out the best out of GW2.  Having said that , if GW2 would of been P2P I would of most likely bought it on launch day.  But I know for a fact that the community is to poo on at it's current state, (Poo is less vulgar , but you get the idea) so I'm not wasting my time on it.  

Peace

Lascer

You nuts bro? they never said free expansion. They will have content updates like events, new DE's etc  but they never said expansiosn for free.

They need to make money too.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I wouldn't pay a monthly sub for GW2.

Here is a list of all the games that I think are worth a monthly sub:

/end list

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Originally posted by SuprGamerX

Peace

Lascer

Simple answer is no.  Of course they'll lose 50% of the player base , which is good because those 50% are destroying the aspect of what GW2 is suppose to be.  The remaining 50% will be the remaining fans / hardcore fans of GW2 that will help bring out the best out of GW2.  Having said that , if GW2 would of been P2P I would of most likely bought it on launch day.  But I know for a fact that the community is to poo on at it's current state, (Poo is less vulgar , but you get the idea) so I'm not wasting my time on it.  

yes i understand every game's pop will decrease  after the first month. My point really is that because GW2 is buy to play that the pop will stay high longer. but really i feel that GW2 would be blasted a lot more if it was P2P, hell i see people running around either naked or half their bodies showing. I can hear it now "i pay $15 a month and can't even wear clothes? or see other players, this game sucks" lol, you all know how they are here at mmorpg.. smiles

Peace

Lascer

• Hell_HammerHell_Hammer Member Posts: 75

I wouldn't pay a subscription not because I don't want to pay for GW2, but because I don't want to pay any subscription.

That business plan is in the past.

I already have enough expenses without dishing out an additional 15 euros for a game.

Also, I dislike the pressure that goes with the subscription, the feeling that I'm throwing away money if I'm not playing for a few days. 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Hell_Hammer

I wouldn't pay a subscription not because I don't want to pay for GW2, but because I don't want to pay any subscription.

This why we can't have nice things....

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

That business plan is in the past.

I already have enough expenses without dishing out an additional 15 euros for a game.

Also, I dislike the pressure that goes with the subscription, the feeling that I'm throwing away money if I'm not playing for a few days. 

agree, with a sub you feel your not getting your monies worth if you don't play all the time.

Originally posted by SuprGamerX

Peace

Lascer

yes i understand every game's pop will decrease  after the first month. My point really is that because GW2 is buy to play that the pop will stay high longer. but really i feel that GW2 would be blasted a lot more if it was P2P, hell i see people running around either naked or half their bodies showing. I can hear it now "i pay $15 a month and can't even wear clothes? or see other players, this game sucks" lol, you all know how they are here at mmorpg.. smiles

Peace

Lascer

There is no guarantee really that because of lack of monthly fee GW2 populaiton will stay high longer.

If players get bored they simply stop logging in. If i am utterly bored of the game does it really matter if i am playing a monthly sub or not?

15 bucks is like a pocket change for people with stable jobs. 

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Yes I would. 2nd best current mmo after eve (but I'm all eve'd out).

Agree, and Minecraft(p2p as well)

• Hell_HammerHell_Hammer Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by bcbully

This why we can't have nice things....

I have nothing against supporting the developers and I will probably spend my fair amount of money in the cash shop. My problem is not with giving money for a game - but with the subscription model itself.

I don't feel that there are many games out there that actually give you your money's worth on a monthly basis to validate their subscription fees.

• IamAproposIamApropos Member Posts: 173

Peace

Lascer

well people are willing to pay for far worse other newly released games.  One has HORRIBLE character graphic animations and the other has incredibly bad linear questing with Choppy stop n go "true action" combat.... I mean seriously for what Guild Wars 2 is and what it does right it deserves a monthly Sub as much or more so than those recently released on the market.

If you compare the launches of previous games compared to this game, this by far is superior and countless people agree.  I have my issues with the game and hope they solve them quickly but as of right now its the best MMORPG i've played in over a decade and I've played nearly all of them in that time frame.

I don't like paying a monthly for a game and have only done so for 2, WoW and RIFT.  RIFT enjoyed my money a lot longer then WoW did and deservedly so.   Now Guild Wars 2 on the other hand does so many incredible things all wrapped into one game  and with its problems its definitely deserving if the others are.  

It can only get better from here and if it doesn't then it goes down like the others but so far so good.

IamApropos
    See where adventure will lead you!
    My PC Specs:
    i5-3570k oc'ed @4.2GHz
    8GB 1600 RAM
    GTX670 oc'ed @ 1.25Ghz
    Samsung 830 SSD.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

Been asked already. But we'll have to do this every couple weeks I suppose.

How about this way... If I'm going to open it up nearly every day and pour hours into it. I don't care if it were free or $15 a month. I'm not doing it unless the game is fun. I'm not going to play an unfun game even for free. There are already more fun games then I can even play as is.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

This question is irrelevant because GW2 is not built on a P2P model. Pay to Play games cheat you out of your money by making you play 15 bucks a month and then making the level/gear grinding outrageous and no fun. These are fucking video games man. You should pay a box price and thats it. GW2 isn't built to make you pay 15 bucks a month to grind.

No game should ever have a subscription. This isn't a fucking gym membership.

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

I guess we really find out once they try to sell their first expansion.

First indication will be the expansion price and if they bundle it with the launch box.

Im guessing theyll need to sell it for less than $60 and bundle it with the origional content.  If they would be able to keep the launch box at $60 and sell the expansion for $60 youll know its doing quite well.

• ThraliaThralia Member Posts: 219

in every thread ppl always keep stressing how GW2 has the buy2play thing going for it!

if you take that away it  has nothing special and is just another game that will go f2p within a year.

there are far better p2p games out there everyone knows that.

dont be fooled u know how it really is. the 1 time buy always free to play is what hyped gw2 most..