Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 Going Strong

Comments

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Volkon

I have to wonder how many hidden chests, hidden caves, jumping puzzles, secret labs etc. you guys are missing on because you actually think everything is on the map.

So there are things actually not on the map?   Unheard of in an MMO before!

Edit: In all seriousness, I wouldn't have any idea.  I don't like to "cheat" by searching for solutions/maps online so how could I tell?

He means things that are not MARKED, like some of you seem to think that GW2 marked everything. he is not talking about cheats or finding solutions online, he is saying if you people actually explored the maps, instead of saying there is no reason to explore, you find a lot of stuff you clearly do not know exists. FFS.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by eggy08

Again, that monday was a holiday. You can't count it. Its not the same comparison.

I also looked it up, those are hours played, not players playing. So basing anything off of that is not going to give you any results that make a difference.

Ok, then we'll just have to do it the old fashioned way and.....just guess?

Originally posted by rodingo
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Ever wonder why companies removed actual player numbers per server on their server browser since EQ1's days? (hint: SOE used to show player numbers a LONG time ago per EQ server on the browser).

It's so you can trick the players into thinking the game is not bleeding numbers by simply moving the parameters for the server browser's player population limits. SWTOR did it until the limits became so extreme it was almost a lie (302players online == "HEAVY" anyone?).

I never trust what a server browser says in that context anymore. What i trust is the overall population density in the "congregation" areas such as in front of dungeons, crafting areas, major farming spots, end-game zones, etc.

So far, seems as if GW2 is getting heavy losses at the moment. We'll know in a couple more months for sure though.

And just how does it "seems as if GW2 is getting heavy losses...?"  Based off of MMORPG hater posts?   And how are we going to know in the next couple of months?  What is going to be the indicator that points to the amount of population?  According to you we shouldn't trust the server browser,..so what do us poor little fanboys/haters have to use?  Lemme guess,  some random dude is going to post on here in a couple of months and state that the game has failed!.  Well, actually that has already been done,...hmmmmm  /rubschin

Whoa whoa, calm down there fireball.  He mentioned how he gauges the population himself.  I highlighted it for you since you appeared to have missed it.

Edit:  If you want some sort of numbers though, Xfire lists GW'2 peak playerbase on Sept 2 at 92,946.  Latest playerbase shows 50454 on Sept 17th.  That is almost a 50% drop off in two weeks. I'd say that's a significant drop in players.

Was that too many at questions at once? Was that why I was branded a fireball?  Oooops there I go again being a "fireball",...my bad....

No go back and check where I highlighted , since you appeared to have missed it, and see that my questions refer to,...you know, what is highlighted.

I am not seeing where you highlighted other than the word highlighted.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Whoa whoa, calm down there fireball.  He mentioned how he gauges the population himself.  I highlighted it for you since you appeared to have missed it.

Edit:  If you want some sort of numbers though, Xfire lists GW'2 peak playerbase on Sept 2 at 92,946.  Latest playerbase shows 50454 on Sept 17th.  That is almost a 50% drop off in two weeks. I'd say that's a significant drop in players.

Your basing your fact off a sunday play time versus a monday? Of course it would drop, thats a given. People have school and jobs on mondays.

Ok, how about this:

Monday Sept 3: 81,397

Monday, Sept 17: 50,454

Still a sharp decline.  38.2% drop in 2 weeks.

I don't use Xfire - so I am not counted - sorry those numbers only count people who have it installed - it ignores all other players - useless numbers as usual.

Now is useless, when the number was something great for gw2 it was amazing, just lol.  

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

The game is going strong because people neglect one simple fact: between sept 2th and the 19th there was at least one key difference in the EU side of things: school started up =))))

One other argument I can make for the game being strong is the fact that in my country you cannot find any place where it isn't completely and utterly sold out, I ordered my copy after getting the cash together (finally) and the ETA on it is sometime within the next 3 weeks, that's how badly it's been bought out over here and this is a former soviet block country where people don't usually go this nuts (the only time I recall a game being this sold out over here was WoW: The Burning Crusade).

And the final argument one can make for GW2 being strong even with apparently so few users on is the simple fact there are no sub fees, people play when they can however much they want to, there is no incentive to play allot in that sense so people prioritize real life issues over the game so don't expect the game to have allot of players on at any one time but expect to see people always keeping the servers at a certain level of load.

• WabbaWayWabbaWay Member Posts: 101
    Guilc Wars 2 is a success, not really much of a discussion to be had there - by far the best themepark MMO i've played in years. Personally it made me realise that themepark MMOs can no longer hold my attention though, i feel detached from the world and my character if my actions have no permanent influence on the world i play in. Prolly just me getting old.

• krakra70krakra70 Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by krakra70

Your basing your fact off a sunday play time versus a monday? Of course it would drop, thats a given. People have school and jobs on mondays.

Ok, how about this:

Again, that monday was a holiday. You can't count it. Its not the same comparison.

You sound desperate.

sunday sep 2: 93k

sunday sep 19: 69k

25.8% drop in just 2 weeks.

SWTOR had better player retention 3 weeks after its launch. And the worst is coming... (mop)

Hours played does not equal players playing. You can't base the game off of a weekend so close to start where everyone is trying to level and get a feel for the game to apparently 2 weeks later and expect the same results. Oh and that was the 16th not the 19th. good try thou.

Yeah I got the date wrong but you sound really desperate. Hours played is a good way to measure population trends (perhaps even better than measuring populations themselves). You can see if players are having fun by how much they are playing. When someone stops playing a game they rarely quit cold turkey. They usually gradually lower the hours they play until it reaches zero. You can deny it all you want but xfire is the only reliable way for us to measure player retention (server capacities can easily be manipulated by the company, having many high servers doesn't tell me anything really if the low/high/full keep changing)

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Originally posted by botrytis

Ok, how about this:

I don't use Xfire - so I am not counted - sorry those numbers only count people who have it installed - it ignores all other players - useless numbers as usual.

Now is useless, when the number was something great for gw2 it was amazing, just lol.  

So you're assuming he or anyone complaining about it said that. Take it up with the people who have. Those were never good numbers to start with period, since they don't show the playerbase as a whole. It's like basing it off of the players who actually put it on steam and play it using that. It's not a representation of the population, nor do we know what percentage of that population it even does represent.

Originally posted by Uhwop
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta

No sub for the game, so I don't really think it matters to much.  However, I can't see a massive amount of people sticking with it for the long run.  After almost a month I have to admit, game's pretty boring.

Not boring like pve isn't fun, or the combat isn't fun, but boring as in the game feels incredibly shallow and devoid of point.  I'm mostly interested in the PvP, and I'm having an incredibly hard time finding the "competetive" part of it.  Normally, when I think of something as competetive, there's usually something to compete for, I'm not seeing that here.

Exploration in GW2 isn't really exploring.  Everything is pretty much laid out on the map, I have no feeling of exploring the world.  When I explore I want to discover, and there's nothing to discover because of everything being pointed to on the map.  You move to an area, it opens up, and then you move from point to point in order to complete the map; that's not exploring.  Exploring means not knowing what you're going to find or where you're going to find it.  This is honestly the thing that's bothering me most about the game.  I followed the development and there was all this stuff about how explorers would love the game, that it rewards exploration, it doesn't.  It rewardst he completionist.

What are vistas supposed to be?  Puzzles?  Some are platforming puzzules but a lot aren't.  Are they supposed to be a point to find to be rewarded with spectactular views of the world?  Not really, there are vistas on rocks and other nonsensecle places that don't really serve a point. 

People complain about the dumbing down of MMO's.  WoW put marks over the heads of quest givers and then they showed you on the map were to go to do the quest, and people bitched.  My god, GW2 took it to an entire other level. 

Not a bad game.  Just not finding it to be a very interesting one.  The fact that there is no subscription and it caters to the casual, softcore PvP crowd means it's going to always have plenty of people playing it.  Just way to ultra casual for my taste though, and I have a feeling that an awful lot of people are going to find it the same way in the coming weeks. 

Just kind of pointless, dull, and far to casual even for the typical MMOer.   It's interesting too, the crafting, something I don't usually enjoy in themepark games, is by far the most hardcore, deep, explorative, and fun thing in the game.  The rest of it, not so much.

Agree with a lot of what you say.  For all the supposed exploration, there seems to be very little actually there.  And each vista rewards you with experience for going to it.  So not much exploring for exploring's sake if you're getting paid to visit each one.

As for the vistas, at least TOR gave me a reason to get those datacrons.  I'm not so sure what the point is for these aside for map completion (and, of course XP).

The majority of complaints I see about the game is the lack of depth (something I agree on); I don't know how they plan any retaining players if people are complaining about this a month in.

When people say there is little exploration I have to think they are not playing the game much or trying to explore. While the important things are marked there is plenty to find by going to places yourself and actually exploring things.

People complain on day 1 of anything these days. People playing 200 hours in 3 weeks complaining they are bored are not the games concern anyway. Those are a small percentage who do the same thing in every game they play. Of no real concern.

Yeah?

How about you tell us exactly how many things aren't listed on the map to find.  Cause one guy said "at least one". 

One or two things doen't make exploration, and that's not what Anet was talking about when they said that they reward exploration. 

Those non marked things are just bonus things to find, and do not represent exploration in GW2 as a whole. 

How would I know the exact number? I would have to find every one by exploring. Or I could just do like you and dismiss anything that does not conform to my limited view.

If they are bonus things to find they are found by, EXPLORING. FFS thats what exploring is all about. You look like a hater when you act this way. No one takes people serious when they have a POV that requires your head to be in a dark and smelly place.

• PanossianPanossian Member Posts: 94
    The reality is players are logging in less and less once they hit 80, gear up (both of which are easy to do) and figure out there is nothing else to do other then fight over meaning WvW points, craft or run soul crushingly annoying dungeons. GW2 caters to the casual player so there will always be player playing but this game has no real future in it's current state other then maybe a SPVP Esport which they are banking on.

Current Game FFXIV (Cactuar)
    Looking for 1 healer for 8 mans.

Originally posted by Dihoru

The game is going strong because people neglect one simple fact: between sept 2th and the 19th there was at least one key difference in the EU side of things: school started up =))))

One other argument I can make for the game being strong is the fact that in my country you cannot find any place where it isn't completely and utterly sold out, I ordered my copy after getting the cash together (finally) and the ETA on it is sometime within the next 3 weeks, that's how badly it's been bought out over here and this is a former soviet block country where people don't usually go this nuts (the only time I recall a game being this sold out over here was WoW: The Burning Crusade).

And the final argument one can make for GW2 being strong even with apparently so few users on is the simple fact there are no sub fees, people play when they can however much they want to, there is no incentive to play allot in that sense so people prioritize real life issues over the game so don't expect the game to have allot of players on at any one time but expect to see people always on at a certain level.

You forgot to mention that it's getting close to Halloween, so people are Halloween shopping and can't be bothered to log in.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Dihoru

And the final argument one can make for GW2 being strong even with apparently so few users on is the simple fact there are no sub fees, people play when they can however much they want to, there is no incentive to play allot in that sense so people prioritize real life issues over the game so don't expect the game to have allot of players on at any one time but expect to see people always on at a certain level.

You forgot to mention that it's getting close to Halloween, so people are Halloween shopping and can't be bothered to log in.

Ooh, getting close to Halloween!

The Mad King comes! Woo hoo! (One of my favorite GW1 events, and the first ANet will have on display in GW2.)

Oderint, dum metuant.

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525

Ok, how about this:

You sound desperate.

SWTOR had better player retention 3 weeks after its launch. And the worst is coming... (mop)

Hours played does not equal players playing. You can't base the game off of a weekend so close to start where everyone is trying to level and get a feel for the game to apparently 2 weeks later and expect the same results. Oh and that was the 16th not the 19th. good try thou.

Yeah I got the date wrong but you sound really desperate. Hours played is a good way to measure population trends (perhaps even better than measuring populations themselves). You can see if players are having fun by how much they are playing. When someone stops playing a game they rarely quit cold turkey. They usually gradually lower the hours they play until it reaches zero. You can deny it all you want but xfire is the only reliable way for us to measure player retention (server capacities can easily be manipulated by the company, having many high servers doesn't tell me anything really if the low/high/full keep changing)

So your saying that when you buy a game, you never tend to play it more the very first week than any other? Thats a laugh. That was the first week it was out, of course that weekend will be skewed far out of proportion to the rest of the weeks. If that number just slowly degrades and never normalizes then theres a problem, but as you can see, its hardly moving from day to day from the last week. And you can't base these numbers off of anything since noone knows how many players have xfire installed and play GW2 as basis to the entire population.

Ok, how about this:

You sound desperate.

Underlined bit is false, in a perfect world it wouldn't be, in the real world it is, why? P2P vs B2P, hours played per week means nothing when people are not forced by the need to get their money's worth from a monthly sub, you may think otherwise but allot of the P2P userbase can't really afford not to get a certain level of personal value from the ~15$ paid monthly. GW2 should be measured by monthly user retention, disregard the initial spikes and monitor past the first month, concurrent user levels will drop up until a point then level out maintaining up until the next expansion at which point it spikes again and you rinse and repeat.

Ok, how about this:

You sound desperate.

He sounds desperate? You are here making the claim that the game company would lie about its server populations to make them always look high(conspiracy theory) and you have the nerve to say someone else seems desperate? Good god get over yourself. Xfire is the only reliable way? You sure have funny ways of proving things.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

The only issue(s) I have with XFire are this:

1. It doesn't reflect players accurately. For example, my initial burst play compared to "settled down" play is significantly different. I'll play a couple hours on work days now, but initially... well, the wife was unamused for the most part.

2. It doesn't reflect players like myself that uninstalled XFire (I actually did...) during the first week of launch simply to have less clogging my system up. However, there's a chance that that could be offset my players installing it, and it's likely a negligible number anyhow.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

I have to wonder how many hidden chests, hidden caves, jumping puzzles, secret labs etc. you guys are missing on because you actually think everything is on the map.

Edit: In all seriousness, I wouldn't have any idea.  I don't like to "cheat" by searching for solutions/maps online so how could I tell?

He means things that are not MARKED, like some of you seem to think that GW2 marked everything. he is not talking about cheats or finding solutions online, he is saying if you people actually explored the maps, instead of saying there is no reason to explore, you find a lot of stuff you clearly do not know exists. FFS.

Actually you're wrong as well.

The problem is that each person that made that exact same comment each have the same issue, a difficulty with reading comprehension.

The word MOST.

How about the word MAGORITY.

You see, not ones did I use the word ALL. 

There's mroe to reading then just knowing the words.  You need ot understand what was written, that's were the comprehension comes in.

If you actually read AND comprehend what I wrote, you'd see that I never, not once, said ALL things to find are on the map. 

I VERY CLEARLY WROTE THAT MOST OF THE THINGS TO DISCOVER ARE POINTED TO ON THE MAP.  Most.  Not all, most. 

Read it again.  Then understand it.  Then make a responce that actually pertains to what you read.

And once again.

How about you tell us just how many unmarked things there are to find. 

Xfire isn't really a way to measure anything, in my entire country I don't know anyone who uses it and I am pretty well integrated into the gaming scene over here and of my foreign acquaintances I can't say I know any of them that use Xfire either, granted that doesn't come up often but why would you honestly? to brag about hours played? cause everything else is done by better programs, hell by the games you play sometimes as well.

Ok, how about this:

You sound desperate.

So your saying that when you buy a game, you never tend to play it more the very first week than any other? Thats a laugh. That was the first week it was out, of course that weekend will be skewed far out of proportion to the rest of the weeks. If that number just slowly degrades and never normalizes then theres a problem, but as you can see, its hardly moving from day to day from the last week. And you can't base these numbers off of anything since noone knows how many players have xfire installed and play GW2 as basis to the entire population.

No. I'm saying that games that were a success (like WoW, EQ, DAoC etc) peaked a few years after their launch, games that were failures (SWTOR, WAR, TERA, as it seems GW2 and of course many others) peaked a few days/weeks after their launch (8 days in GW2's case). If GW2 was a success you would see a rise in numbers right now, not a drop.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

No sub for the game, so I don't really think it matters to much.  However, I can't see a massive amount of people sticking with it for the long run.  After almost a month I have to admit, game's pretty boring.

Not boring like pve isn't fun, or the combat isn't fun, but boring as in the game feels incredibly shallow and devoid of point.  I'm mostly interested in the PvP, and I'm having an incredibly hard time finding the "competetive" part of it.  Normally, when I think of something as competetive, there's usually something to compete for, I'm not seeing that here.

Exploration in GW2 isn't really exploring.  Everything is pretty much laid out on the map, I have no feeling of exploring the world.  When I explore I want to discover, and there's nothing to discover because of everything being pointed to on the map.  You move to an area, it opens up, and then you move from point to point in order to complete the map; that's not exploring.  Exploring means not knowing what you're going to find or where you're going to find it.  This is honestly the thing that's bothering me most about the game.  I followed the development and there was all this stuff about how explorers would love the game, that it rewards exploration, it doesn't.  It rewardst he completionist.

What are vistas supposed to be?  Puzzles?  Some are platforming puzzules but a lot aren't.  Are they supposed to be a point to find to be rewarded with spectactular views of the world?  Not really, there are vistas on rocks and other nonsensecle places that don't really serve a point. 

People complain about the dumbing down of MMO's.  WoW put marks over the heads of quest givers and then they showed you on the map were to go to do the quest, and people bitched.  My god, GW2 took it to an entire other level. 

Not a bad game.  Just not finding it to be a very interesting one.  The fact that there is no subscription and it caters to the casual, softcore PvP crowd means it's going to always have plenty of people playing it.  Just way to ultra casual for my taste though, and I have a feeling that an awful lot of people are going to find it the same way in the coming weeks. 

Just kind of pointless, dull, and far to casual even for the typical MMOer.   It's interesting too, the crafting, something I don't usually enjoy in themepark games, is by far the most hardcore, deep, explorative, and fun thing in the game.  The rest of it, not so much.

Agree with a lot of what you say.  For all the supposed exploration, there seems to be very little actually there.  And each vista rewards you with experience for going to it.  So not much exploring for exploring's sake if you're getting paid to visit each one.

As for the vistas, at least TOR gave me a reason to get those datacrons.  I'm not so sure what the point is for these aside for map completion (and, of course XP).

The majority of complaints I see about the game is the lack of depth (something I agree on); I don't know how they plan any retaining players if people are complaining about this a month in.

When people say there is little exploration I have to think they are not playing the game much or trying to explore. While the important things are marked there is plenty to find by going to places yourself and actually exploring things.

People complain on day 1 of anything these days. People playing 200 hours in 3 weeks complaining they are bored are not the games concern anyway. Those are a small percentage who do the same thing in every game they play. Of no real concern.

Yeah?

How about you tell us exactly how many things aren't listed on the map to find.  Cause one guy said "at least one". 

One or two things doen't make exploration, and that's not what Anet was talking about when they said that they reward exploration. 

Those non marked things are just bonus things to find, and do not represent exploration in GW2 as a whole. 

How would I know the exact number? I would have to find every one by exploring. Or I could just do like you and dismiss anything that does not conform to my limited view.

If they are bonus things to find they are found by, EXPLORING. FFS thats what exploring is all about. You look like a hater when you act this way. No one takes people serious when they have a POV that requires your head to be in a dark and smelly place.

Read the last post I made, it very much applies to you. 

Actually you're wrong as well.

The problem is that each person that made that exact same comment each have the same issue, a difficulty with reading comprehension.

The word MOST.

How about the word MAGORITY.

You see, not ones did I use the word ALL. 

There's mroe to reading then just knowing the words.  You need ot understand what was written, that's were the comprehension comes in.

If you actually read AND comprehend what I wrote, you'd see that I never, not once, said ALL things to find are on the map. 

I VERY CLEARLY WROTE THAT MOST OF THE THINGS TO DISCOVER ARE POINTED TO ON THE MAP.  Most.  Not all, most. 

Read it again.  Then understand it.  Then make a responce that actually pertains to what you read.

And once again.

How about you tell us just how many unmarked things there are to find. 

How would I know the exact number unless I find all of them? [mod edit]

• ThraliaThralia Member Posts: 219
    going strong till 09.25.12

Ok, how about this:

You sound desperate.

He sounds desperate? You are here making the claim that the game company would lie about its server populations to make them always look high(conspiracy theory) and you have the nerve to say someone else seems desperate? Good god get over yourself. Xfire is the only reliable way? You sure have funny ways of proving things.

What's a more reliable way than xfire for us who don't work at Anet? Please enlighten me.

Also it is hardly a conspirancy theory. Back in the day the MMOs used to display exact numbers for each server, and not low/high/full etc. Isn't it obvious why they changed it?

No. I'm saying that games that were a success (like WoW, EQ, DAoC etc) peaked a few years after their launch, games that were failures (SWTOR, WAR, TERA, as it seems GW2 and of course many others) peaked a few days/weeks after their launch (8 days in GW2's case). If GW2 was a success you would see a rise in numbers right now, not a drop.

?? That makes no sense.  If a game has to peak a few years after release for it to be a success but those that havent even been out a year are considered failure because hey, you know, they haven't reached that multiyear peak because, you know, they are less than a year old.....????

Yeah?

Read the last post I made, it very much applies to you. 

I am tired of reading your lies and other BS. You clearly think that exploring means everything on the map must be blank when you start. I disagree, but unlike you I am not going to sit here and pretend I did not say what I said before. With that I am done talking to you as it will never benefit me to debate with someone like yourself. have a day.