Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 Going Strong

Comments

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Ever wonder why companies removed actual player numbers per server on their server browser since EQ1's days? (hint: SOE used to show player numbers a LONG time ago per EQ server on the browser).

It's so you can trick the players into thinking the game is not bleeding numbers by simply moving the parameters for the server browser's player population limits. SWTOR did it until the limits became so extreme it was almost a lie (302players online == "HEAVY" anyone?).

I never trust what a server browser says in that context anymore. What i trust is the overall population density in the "congregation" areas such as in front of dungeons, crafting areas, major farming spots, end-game zones, etc.

So far, seems as if GW2 is getting heavy losses at the moment. We'll know in a couple more months for sure though.

And just how does it "seems as if GW2 is getting heavy losses...?"  Based off of MMORPG hater posts?   And how are we going to know in the next couple of months?  What is going to be the indicator that points to the amount of population?  According to you we shouldn't trust the server browser,..so what do us poor little fanboys/haters have to use?  Lemme guess,  some random dude is going to post on here in a couple of months and state that the game has failed!.  Well, actually that has already been done,...hmmmmm  /rubschin

Whoa whoa, calm down there fireball.  He mentioned how he gauges the population himself.  I highlighted it for you since you appeared to have missed it.

Edit:  If you want some sort of numbers though, Xfire lists GW'2 peak playerbase on Sept 2 at 92,946.  Latest playerbase shows 50454 on Sept 17th.  That is almost a 50% drop off in two weeks. I'd say that's a significant drop in players.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Uhwop

No sub for the game, so I don't really think it matters to much.  However, I can't see a massive amount of people sticking with it for the long run.  After almost a month I have to admit, game's pretty boring.

Not boring like pve isn't fun, or the combat isn't fun, but boring as in the game feels incredibly shallow and devoid of point.  I'm mostly interested in the PvP, and I'm having an incredibly hard time finding the "competetive" part of it.  Normally, when I think of something as competetive, there's usually something to compete for, I'm not seeing that here.

Exploration in GW2 isn't really exploring.  Everything is pretty much laid out on the map, I have no feeling of exploring the world.  When I explore I want to discover, and there's nothing to discover because of everything being pointed to on the map.  You move to an area, it opens up, and then you move from point to point in order to complete the map; that's not exploring.  Exploring means not knowing what you're going to find or where you're going to find it.  This is honestly the thing that's bothering me most about the game.  I followed the development and there was all this stuff about how explorers would love the game, that it rewards exploration, it doesn't.  It rewardst he completionist.

What are vistas supposed to be?  Puzzles?  Some are platforming puzzules but a lot aren't.  Are they supposed to be a point to find to be rewarded with spectactular views of the world?  Not really, there are vistas on rocks and other nonsensecle places that don't really serve a point. 

People complain about the dumbing down of MMO's.  WoW put marks over the heads of quest givers and then they showed you on the map were to go to do the quest, and people bitched.  My god, GW2 took it to an entire other level. 

Not a bad game.  Just not finding it to be a very interesting one.  The fact that there is no subscription and it caters to the casual, softcore PvP crowd means it's going to always have plenty of people playing it.  Just way to ultra casual for my taste though, and I have a feeling that an awful lot of people are going to find it the same way in the coming weeks. 

Just kind of pointless, dull, and far to casual even for the typical MMOer.   It's interesting too, the crafting, something I don't usually enjoy in themepark games, is by far the most hardcore, deep, explorative, and fun thing in the game.  The rest of it, not so much.

Agree with a lot of what you say.  For all the supposed exploration, there seems to be very little actually there.  And each vista rewards you with experience for going to it.  So not much exploring for exploring's sake if you're getting paid to visit each one.

As for the vistas, at least TOR gave me a reason to get those datacrons.  I'm not so sure what the point is for these aside for map completion (and, of course XP).

The majority of complaints I see about the game is the lack of depth (something I agree on); I don't know how they plan any retaining players if people are complaining about this a month in.

I have to wonder how many hidden chests, hidden caves, jumping puzzles, secret labs etc. you guys are missing on because you actually think everything is on the map.

Please, there aren't that many. 

Are you denying that the very vast magoirty of things to explore aren't pointed to on the map?  If so, you sir are lying.

I don't mind getting rewarded for exporing, but if I"m exploring I expect there to be discovery, there is none though.  Every thing is pointed to, and laid out for me.  It's not exploration in GW2 it's VISITING.  You're like a tourist with a map that tells you exactly were to go and what to look at. 

There's this guy -Bourdain or something- on the travel chanell that has a food show, and he's always saying something along the lines of be a traveller; not a tourist.  I didn't really understand it at first, GW2 actually taught me something.

You don't explore paris with a tourists map that tells you what musiums or historical places to visit, you explore paris without a tourist map and DISCOVER what makes Paris great. 

Every single person in GW2 is running around with a tourists map that tells them exactly where to go, what to look at, and what to do.  It's taking the question mark and map point to a whole new level of easy and casual.  There's literally no thinking or discovery outside of crafting in GW2.  it makes for an exceptionally dull experience.

Good lord, you enter an area and you get a giant message on your screen to do an event before you even get a chance to look at your surroundings. 

Yep, good points there.  One of ANET's very contradictory messages.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by Tardcore
    Originally posted by sonoggi

out of the 24 servers, 13 are full at peak times, with never less than 6 full and never more than 3 medium. this game is growing every day. this just blows my mind. im glad people are giving it the attention it deserves. at the very least, this shows that ANet made a FUN game. 

raiders and power gamers will question its longevity, and may play less at 80 due to a challenging and "unrewarding" endgame, or lack of pvp skills/interest, as evidenced by XFire stats. however, only a small portion of GW2's player base uses XFire (probably only those who care to show off their /played hours, i.e. power gamers), and a more accurate estimate of the pop would be server pop categories show in World Selection.

all in all, glad to see the game growing. im not even halfway through the pve content, and im already looking forward to new DE's (and current ones getting scaled properly, no sense denying it's a problem). i may be in a minority on these forums when i say that GW2 has a long life and a high user count ahead. see u in Tyria. 

And the game is less than one month old. Kept seeing these kinds of threads about SWTOR for seven months.

Now I'm not saying that GW2 is going to become a ghost town, or that it has any of the major flaws that TOR did. I am simply saying its a bit early to be crowing about this games absoloute success OR demise this early into the games life span.

I totally agree with you, Tardcore, but I cracked up when I read your post and then looked at your signature!

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

I don't mind getting rewarded for exporing, but if I"m exploring I expect there to be discovery, there is none though.  Every thing is pointed to, and laid out for me.  It's not exploration in GW2 it's VISITING.  You're like a tourist with a map that tells you exactly were to go and what to look at. 

There's this guy -Bourdain or something- on the travel chanell that has a food show, and he's always saying something along the lines of be a traveller; not a tourist.  I didn't really understand it at first, GW2 actually taught me something.

You don't explore paris with a tourists map that tells you what musiums or historical places to visit, you explore paris without a tourist map and DISCOVER what makes Paris great. 

Every single person in GW2 is running around with a tourists map that tells them exactly where to go, what to look at, and what to do.  It's taking the question mark and map point to a whole new level of easy and casual.  There's literally no thinking or discovery outside of crafting in GW2.  it makes for an exceptionally dull experience.

Good lord, you enter an area and you get a giant message on your screen to do an event before you even get a chance to look at your surroundings. 

Those points only tell part of the story.  There are many jumping puzzles throughout the game (I think there's at least one in every zone) that aren't marked, you have to find them.  There are also hidden chests (again at least one in every zone, I think) that aren't marked.  There are many cracks and crevices in the game to be explored that aren't on the map but you have to look for them.  So, while the maps point out areas of interest, there are still many other areas to be found.  I know, I've found some myself.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

Originally posted by evolver1972

Those points only tell part of the story.  There are many jumping puzzles throughout the game (I think there's at least one in every zone) that aren't marked, you have to find them.  There are also hidden chests (again at least one in every zone, I think) that aren't marked.  There are many cracks and crevices in the game to be explored that aren't on the map but you have to look for them.  So, while the maps point out areas of interest, there are still many other areas to be found.  I know, I've found some myself.

A single item in a zone does not make exploration.  Nor is that what Anet was talking about when they kept saying that GW2 would reward the exploreres.

The map, and all of the stuff on it represents the exploratin side of the game, not that one point that isn't listed.  Vistas and POI's are there for exploration, and they're pointed to.  You don't explore the world that way.  Being directed is the opposite of exploration. 

The problem with exploring in most MMO's is that there's rarely anything to actually find in those out of the way places.  GW2 idea is to tell you that there's something in that out of the way area and you should go there.  I don't want either of them. 

Reward explorers is great, telling them were to go to get a reward is boring.  How about not putting everything but that one point not on the map, on the map, and letting us find them on our own. 

PS:  The whole map completion thing also trivializes the entire aspect of exploring because most everyone is going to try and get the map completion.  When you get right down to it, GW2 isn't even reward explorers, it's rewarding the completionists.  It's effectively the same thing that raiders complain about when developers give access to equivilent items for those people that don't raid.  What's the point in raiding if everyone gets rewarded the same. 

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525

Ever wonder why companies removed actual player numbers per server on their server browser since EQ1's days? (hint: SOE used to show player numbers a LONG time ago per EQ server on the browser).

It's so you can trick the players into thinking the game is not bleeding numbers by simply moving the parameters for the server browser's player population limits. SWTOR did it until the limits became so extreme it was almost a lie (302players online == "HEAVY" anyone?).

I never trust what a server browser says in that context anymore. What i trust is the overall population density in the "congregation" areas such as in front of dungeons, crafting areas, major farming spots, end-game zones, etc.

So far, seems as if GW2 is getting heavy losses at the moment. We'll know in a couple more months for sure though.

And just how does it "seems as if GW2 is getting heavy losses...?"  Based off of MMORPG hater posts?   And how are we going to know in the next couple of months?  What is going to be the indicator that points to the amount of population?  According to you we shouldn't trust the server browser,..so what do us poor little fanboys/haters have to use?  Lemme guess,  some random dude is going to post on here in a couple of months and state that the game has failed!.  Well, actually that has already been done,...hmmmmm  /rubschin

Whoa whoa, calm down there fireball.  He mentioned how he gauges the population himself.  I highlighted it for you since you appeared to have missed it.

Edit:  If you want some sort of numbers though, Xfire lists GW'2 peak playerbase on Sept 2 at 92,946.  Latest playerbase shows 50454 on Sept 17th.  That is almost a 50% drop off in two weeks. I'd say that's a significant drop in players.

Your basing your fact off a sunday play time versus a monday? Of course it would drop, thats a given. People have school and jobs on mondays.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by observer

I see people everywhere on my server.  Even in dark corners where i thought no one would find me when i go exploring.  That's why i get confused when people make threads saying chat channels are empty.  Chat channels are almost always busy with people calling out events, linking items, asking for help, etc.  It's probably not active 24/7, which it shouldn't be in my opinion, but it's active enough (especially with gold spammers ;) ).

The game sure is holding people's attention for now, but i wonder how many will go back to WoW's panda expansion.

It is because there is no general chat. In other games you see a lot more chatting since everyone in the game uses the same chat, map chat is different.

Who can what will happen in the future though? But lets worry about the future later.

Combat it much more active and intesive then old time MMO´s.  Thats why most people dont even read whats in the map chat. We´re busy playing the game and having a great time

haha, GW 2 fanboys have no limits. We are too busy having a great time to chat. LOL

And this is unbelievable....why?

If you are playing a game that requires a lot of attention to avoid dying horribly...then you can't really look at map chat can you?  This is not unique to GW2...this is like...any game.

Dont you get it, if you are having tons of fun in-game you really just want to stop every other second between combat, exploring, or whatever you were doing to chat some random nonsense on the map chat with some strangers, ofcourse :)

On a more serious note, I cant recall much chatting in WAR or Rift launches either since people were busy playing at first, assuming we forget the ridicilous amount of "WoW talk" and thank god it's not happening in GW2, at least on my server I've never seen that.

Originally posted by eggy08

Your basing your fact off a sunday play time versus a monday? Of course it would drop, thats a given. People have school and jobs on mondays.

Ok, how about this:

Monday Sept 3: 81,397

Monday, Sept 17: 50,454

Still a sharp decline.  38.2% drop in 2 weeks.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Ok, how about this:

I don't use Xfire - so I am not counted - sorry those numbers only count people who have it installed - it ignores all other players - useless numbers as usual.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

haha, GW 2 fanboys have no limits. We are too busy having a great time to chat. LOL

Yeah, unbelievable isn't it? What tall tale are we going to spin next? Being too immersed in game to read the chat window... Preposterous? Whoever has ever heard of such a thing!

We don't hear that sort of thing very often, that's probably the reason it's unbelievable... but I can attest I rarely noticed what was going on in /map chat unless I was between events or farting around in the crafting station.  Why was Barrens chat so rowdy?  Honestly, I personally think it's because the Barrens was and always will be a boring zone and people would rather talk than play there.  Same with max level in WoW, when you stood around in town with your awesome gear getting into chat fights because you were bored.  Why is the opposite extreme so hard to believe for some people?

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

Yeah, unbelievable isn't it? What tall tale are we going to spin next? Being too immersed in game to read the chat window... Preposterous? Whoever has ever heard of such a thing!

We don't hear that sort of thing very often, that's probably the reason it's unbelievable... but I can attest I rarely noticed what was going on in /map chat unless I was between events or farting around in the crafting station.  Why was Barrens chat so rowdy?  Honestly, I personally think it's because the Barrens was and always will be a boring zone and people would rather talk than play there.  Same with max level in WoW, when you stood around in town with your awesome gear getting into chat fights because you were bored.  Why is the opposite extreme so hard to believe for some people?

becasue that would mean they are wrong about GW2

I miss DAoC

Originally posted by botrytis

I don't use Xfire - so I am not counted - sorry those numbers only count people who have it installed - it ignores all other players - useless numbers as usual.

Actually, those numbers were meant for a couple posts above yours.  Someone was asking about a way to gauge population and I offered xfire as an example.  The other guy wanted me to post the number for matching days.

I don't tend to use xfire either, but a lot of people seem to throw it around on this site.

Originally posted by Eir_S

I think because it was one of the major pieces of evidence used against TOR (e.g. single-player rpg, game felt "lifeless", "no one chatting", etc).

Edit: could also mean that <gasp> people were wrong about GW2 and <gasp> even more wrong about <gasp> <gasp> TOR....oh the heavens!

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by coretex666

I dont think it is going strong.

The xfire stats show a decreasing trend.

The xfire sample is large enough to provide reliable data.

I do agree that ANET made a FUN game though...

all games lose numbers in the first month of play, that is normal. The first week people overplay because they have finally got their hands on a game they have been waiting to play fopr years. The next 2 weeks wil decrease because some will find it was not what they expected. WoW may have been a exceprion becasue it took them several weeks to get their servers stable.

Speaking of WoW, it's numbers are not increasing back to what they were pre GW2 release.

Wow on August 26 - 48916

WoW on September 18 - 19811

that's almost a 60% drop

what will be interesting is what kind of boost WoW gets from the panda thing and how long that boost lasts

I miss DAoC

Ok, how about this:

Again, that monday was a holiday. You can't count it. Its not the same comparison.

I also looked it up, those are hours played, not players playing. So basing anything off of that is not going to give you any results that make a difference.

• krakra70krakra70 Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by botrytis

Ok, how about this:

You don't understand how statistics work at all.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The 17th was a holiday? Ctf, I went to work.
  • TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by evolver1972
    Originally posted by Tardcore
    Originally posted by sonoggi

out of the 24 servers, 13 are full at peak times, with never less than 6 full and never more than 3 medium. this game is growing every day. this just blows my mind. im glad people are giving it the attention it deserves. at the very least, this shows that ANet made a FUN game. 

raiders and power gamers will question its longevity, and may play less at 80 due to a challenging and "unrewarding" endgame, or lack of pvp skills/interest, as evidenced by XFire stats. however, only a small portion of GW2's player base uses XFire (probably only those who care to show off their /played hours, i.e. power gamers), and a more accurate estimate of the pop would be server pop categories show in World Selection.

all in all, glad to see the game growing. im not even halfway through the pve content, and im already looking forward to new DE's (and current ones getting scaled properly, no sense denying it's a problem). i may be in a minority on these forums when i say that GW2 has a long life and a high user count ahead. see u in Tyria. 

And the game is less than one month old. Kept seeing these kinds of threads about SWTOR for seven months.

Now I'm not saying that GW2 is going to become a ghost town, or that it has any of the major flaws that TOR did. I am simply saying its a bit early to be crowing about this games absoloute success OR demise this early into the games life span.

I totally agree with you, Tardcore, but I cracked up when I read your post and then looked at your signature!

LOL. Well my sig isn't really a critique of GW2 but one of the behavior of todays average MMO player.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Was that too many at questions at once? Was that why I was branded a fireball?  Oooops there I go again being a "fireball",...my bad....

No go back and check where I highlighted , since you appeared to have missed it, and see that my questions refer to,...you know, what is highlighted.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    The 17th was a holiday? Ctf, I went to work.

The 3rd was a holiday numnuts. Your basing a holiday off a weekday.

• krakra70krakra70 Member Posts: 122

Ok, how about this:

Again, that monday was a holiday. You can't count it. Its not the same comparison.

You sound desperate.

sunday sep 2: 93k

sunday sep 19: 69k

25.8% drop in just 2 weeks.

SWTOR had better player retention 3 weeks after its launch. And the worst is coming... (mop)

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

No sub for the game, so I don't really think it matters to much.  However, I can't see a massive amount of people sticking with it for the long run.  After almost a month I have to admit, game's pretty boring.

Not boring like pve isn't fun, or the combat isn't fun, but boring as in the game feels incredibly shallow and devoid of point.  I'm mostly interested in the PvP, and I'm having an incredibly hard time finding the "competetive" part of it.  Normally, when I think of something as competetive, there's usually something to compete for, I'm not seeing that here.

Exploration in GW2 isn't really exploring.  Everything is pretty much laid out on the map, I have no feeling of exploring the world.  When I explore I want to discover, and there's nothing to discover because of everything being pointed to on the map.  You move to an area, it opens up, and then you move from point to point in order to complete the map; that's not exploring.  Exploring means not knowing what you're going to find or where you're going to find it.  This is honestly the thing that's bothering me most about the game.  I followed the development and there was all this stuff about how explorers would love the game, that it rewards exploration, it doesn't.  It rewardst he completionist.

What are vistas supposed to be?  Puzzles?  Some are platforming puzzules but a lot aren't.  Are they supposed to be a point to find to be rewarded with spectactular views of the world?  Not really, there are vistas on rocks and other nonsensecle places that don't really serve a point. 

People complain about the dumbing down of MMO's.  WoW put marks over the heads of quest givers and then they showed you on the map were to go to do the quest, and people bitched.  My god, GW2 took it to an entire other level. 

Not a bad game.  Just not finding it to be a very interesting one.  The fact that there is no subscription and it caters to the casual, softcore PvP crowd means it's going to always have plenty of people playing it.  Just way to ultra casual for my taste though, and I have a feeling that an awful lot of people are going to find it the same way in the coming weeks. 

Just kind of pointless, dull, and far to casual even for the typical MMOer.   It's interesting too, the crafting, something I don't usually enjoy in themepark games, is by far the most hardcore, deep, explorative, and fun thing in the game.  The rest of it, not so much.

Agree with a lot of what you say.  For all the supposed exploration, there seems to be very little actually there.  And each vista rewards you with experience for going to it.  So not much exploring for exploring's sake if you're getting paid to visit each one.

As for the vistas, at least TOR gave me a reason to get those datacrons.  I'm not so sure what the point is for these aside for map completion (and, of course XP).

The majority of complaints I see about the game is the lack of depth (something I agree on); I don't know how they plan any retaining players if people are complaining about this a month in.

When people say there is little exploration I have to think they are not playing the game much or trying to explore. While the important things are marked there is plenty to find by going to places yourself and actually exploring things.

People complain on day 1 of anything these days. People playing 200 hours in 3 weeks complaining they are bored are not the games concern anyway. Those are a small percentage who do the same thing in every game they play. Of no real concern.

Originally posted by krakra70

Ok, how about this:

You sound desperate.

sunday sep 2: 93k

sunday sep 19: 69k

25.8% drop in just 2 weeks.

SWTOR had better player retention 3 weeks after its launch. And the worst is coming... (mop)

Hours played does not equal players playing. You can't base the game off of a weekend so close to start where everyone is trying to level and get a feel for the game to apparently 2 weeks later and expect the same results. Oh and that was the 16th not the 19th. good try thou.

Originally posted by Rokurgepta

When people say there is little exploration I have to think they are not playing the game much or trying to explore. While the important things are marked there is plenty to find by going to places yourself and actually exploring things.

People complain on day 1 of anything these days. People playing 200 hours in 3 weeks complaining they are bored are not the games concern anyway. Those are a small percentage who do the same thing in every game they play. Of no real concern.

Yeah?

How about you tell us exactly how many things aren't listed on the map to find.  Cause one guy said "at least one". 

One or two things doen't make exploration, and that's not what Anet was talking about when they said that they reward exploration. 

Those non marked things are just bonus things to find, and do not represent exploration in GW2 as a whole.