Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: A Tribute to a Fallen Player

Comments

• ZaphaZapha Member Posts: 6
    Be in peace my brother o7
  • MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

To the thread on hand, it is never a good thing to hear that someone has lost his life, so I hope that his family will be alright. My best wishes to them.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• FistyMayhemFistyMayhem Member UncommonPosts: 61
    o7
  • droomzerodroomzero Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Rip

• TirxTirx Member Posts: 6

Peace in the endless space before you.  God bless.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Have a nice trip dude. I hope vermins who killed you will pay for this. You was a part of best gaming comunity in this world.
  • UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

I do not believe that you will find a single gamer who has had more impact on the shape of the game they play as V.R. did in EVE online.

His influence stretched to tens of thousands of other gamers.  When you look at the EVE world map it looks the way it does, in large part, because of this one individual. 

He existed within a virtual community, and influenced it as a player in ways that very few people ever will.  He wasn't "just" some random guy in a game.  He was a real diplomat for a thousands upon thousands of people in a real game. 

It might sound silly, but it's EVE and players like V.R. are what make EVE special.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Uhwop

I do not believe that you will find a single gamer who has had more impact on the shape of the game they play as V.R. did in EVE online.

His influence stretched to tens of thousands of other gamers.  When you look at the EVE world map it looks the way it does, in large part, because of this one individual. 

He existed within a virtual community, and influenced it as a player in ways that very few people ever will. 

I think that's where it gets lost in translation for some people. He was a big part of a community that many of us gamers are part of. He positively affected that community on several levels. The virtual or real nature of that community is irrelevant, especially in this day and age where many of us have as many strong ties in our virtual lives as in our real lives.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    So many MMO's these days have such limited social interraction, this is not the case in Eve, where the bonds of friendship are often made and strengthened over the years, i didnt know him personally, but i doubt there are many in Eve that did not know of him, it is a tragic loss, to all who knew him well, so my thoughts go out to them, and especially to his family
  • RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by kosac
    R.I.P. rat

He was actually a nice guy, talked to him once after he destroyed my ship.  Symphathies to his family, I know he had two small kids at home with his wife.  They have to be going through a tough time right now.

Hopefully someone will take up a collection for his family.

I have not had the pleasure, but the world is at a loss for a hero. But with every sacrifice, comes good.

Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• SpileSpile Member UncommonPosts: 12

R.I.P. Sean (Vile Rat), my condolences to the family and I will miss a good fellow EVE player.

See you out there, someday. (Make sure you reach Gallente space and not Caldari)

*Salute*

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

R.I.P.

"Fair winds and following seas"

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• m240gulfm240gulf Member UncommonPosts: 460
    o7

I Reject your Reality and Substitute it with My Own!

• platinumdrgnplatinumdrgn Member UncommonPosts: 6
    I flew with and talked with Vile Rat almost daily. He helped create what EvE is today. It may seem strange that people are making a big deal out of his gaming career but he helped lead a coalition of over 25,000 EvE players. His diplomatic skills created something unprecidented in the gaming community. He did all this while serving with our embassies all over the world. The gaming community was reporting on the event even before the news outlets did because we were talking to him on Jabber as it happened. RIP

• platinumdrgnplatinumdrgn Member UncommonPosts: 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWMNlEdRCw8

An EvE tribute to our fallen comrade. Stations across the entire universe were renamed in his honor.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Originally posted by platinumdrgn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWMNlEdRCw8

An EvE tribute to our fallen comrade. Stations across the entire universe were renamed in his honor.

Really nice tribute and RIP Vile Rat

• RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Originally posted by Tirx

Peace in the endless space before you.  God bless.

Amen to that. :D

Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

RIP

stupid religion another life to victim count

BestSigEver :P

• ChramChram Member Posts: 91

A fundraiser is underway to help collect some money for his family and for the children's future college expenses. I am sure any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.youcaring.com/fundraiser_details?fundraiser_id=9332&url=benefitforseansmithsfamily

• CastinarCastinar Member UncommonPosts: 2

Very nice tribute.  I haven't played Eve in a couple years, but I still recall the name Vile Rat...if I go through old logs, I'm sure I'll see his name a time or two! 

As a retired Air Force member, I understand what serving it "hotspots" means.  He, along with every other member of the various services which serve in such overseas spots, are heroes.  They put their lives at risk daily, for the sole purpose of trying to bring another day of peace to this world.

My prayers to his family, friends, coworkers, and other loved ones who must now deal with his loss.

RIP Mr. Sean Smith.

• RedArchangelRedArchangel Member Posts: 1
    RIP

Where ever you go from here on earth. Stay safe, fly safe, and kick butt.

Thoughts to your family.

RedArchangel
  • TithenonTithenon Member UncommonPosts: 113
    I've never played EVE, I'm not part of that community, but I am a fellow former service member, and my heart-felt condolences go out to Sean's family for the amazing level of BS he had to endure in the final minutes of his life.  God bless the warrior's.
  • illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343

Fly safe, and shoot some blues, VR

o7

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

• SmokeysongSmokeysong Member UncommonPosts: 247

Eve is one of those great games I haven't played since trying it out because I have too much gaming on my plate already, but despite not being part of that community, much less knowing Sean, this brings the tragedy home to me.

Very sorry for the loss to those who knew him, his family, and for us all; he was clearly one of the good guys.

The people that killed him and everyone else at the embassy must not understand the damage they do to our respect for their beliefs, nationality, and culture. It is almost impossible to avoid believing people like that are insane, and so form the opinion that we need to take drastic measures to protect oursleves. Hopefully we will be able to keep a clear head without letting this incident go unpunished.

Have played: Everquest, Asheron's Call, Horizons, Everquest2, World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall

• MesfenlirMesfenlir Member Posts: 208
    RIP