Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 Going Strong

Comments

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by grimal
    I do think we will see a big dip on the 25th when MoP releases.  I've already noticed the populations have been slightly decreasing since launch and WoW will be reclaiming a lot of its players.

Do you think that WoW players want to play Pandas? Or do an instance to kill monkeys in a brewery? It sounds like Blizzard is scraping the bottom of the barrel. (sorry - no pun intended) It may actually turn players off. It is a possibility.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

While I think the game is pretty good there are ppl like myself who find the game repetitive and somewhat lacking and dont log in very much to play. I do the same with world of tanks.. i play for few minutes and log off.

***Raving Rabbid has saved Queensdale and dances with Queen Jennah!!!***

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by RavingRabbid

While I think the game is pretty good there are ppl like myself who find the game repetitive and somewhat lacking and dont log in very much to play. I do the same with world of tanks.. i play for few minutes and log off.

***Raving Rabbid has saved Queensdale and dances with Queen Jennah!!!***

seriously what MMO is not repetitive? you kill mobs/run quests so you can get more hitpoints and better equipment to kill the level 3 mobs so you can kill the level 7 mobs. Pretty much descibes every MMO ever made other than Perfect World, A Tale inthe Desert and  maybe a cpuple of other sandboxes also. I like GW2 for the exploration, I am wayyy tired of the quest hub BS myself

I miss DAoC

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by observer

I see people everywhere on my server.  Even in dark corners where i thought no one would find me when i go exploring.  That's why i get confused when people make threads saying chat channels are empty.  Chat channels are almost always busy with people calling out events, linking items, asking for help, etc.  It's probably not active 24/7, which it shouldn't be in my opinion, but it's active enough (especially with gold spammers ;) ).

The game sure is holding people's attention for now, but i wonder how many will go back to WoW's panda expansion.

It is because there is no general chat. In other games you see a lot more chatting since everyone in the game uses the same chat, map chat is different.

Who can what will happen in the future though? But lets worry about the future later.

Combat it much more active and intesive then old time MMO´s.  Thats why most people dont even read whats in the map chat. We´re busy playing the game and having a great time

Indeed. I find that while there are alot of people playing, it is VERY difficult to talk unless you are by a relatively docile waypoint. This is not a game where you can AFK.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I see people everywhere on my server.  Even in dark corners where i thought no one would find me when i go exploring.  That's why i get confused when people make threads saying chat channels are empty.  Chat channels are almost always busy with people calling out events, linking items, asking for help, etc.  It's probably not active 24/7, which it shouldn't be in my opinion, but it's active enough (especially with gold spammers ;) ).

The game sure is holding people's attention for now, but i wonder how many will go back to WoW's panda expansion.

It is because there is no general chat. In other games you see a lot more chatting since everyone in the game uses the same chat, map chat is different.

Who can what will happen in the future though? But lets worry about the future later.

Combat it much more active and intesive then old time MMO´s.  Thats why most people dont even read whats in the map chat. We´re busy playing the game and having a great time

haha, GW 2 fanboys have no limits. We are too busy having a great time to chat. LOL

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

B2P is a door that swings both ways. In hopes to draw in gamers to a game they can play whenever they want without a fee. It also allows the pendulum to swing the other way. People can also put it down when ever they want and return on a whim. So they can continue to maintain their sub based games without feeling like they are losing from GW2 either.

This means that WoW and GW2 and whatever other games people sub to can enjoy their populations as players share their time and go back and forth.

People always want to see these huge impacts in player-bases when new games release. Fortunately, these impacts are never quite that large.

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by mazut
    After few years there will be few meet servers where all players will go or they will pbe alone. I can't say howlong this will take, but it will.

Im guessing mid 2013.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• CrazerageCrazerage Member Posts: 18
    Most fun I've had since the start of WoW! This game truely Rocks!
  • Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Yamota

haha, GW 2 fanboys have no limits. We are too busy having a great time to chat. LOL

And this is unbelievable....why?

If you are playing a game that requires a lot of attention to avoid dying horribly...then you can't really look at map chat can you?  This is not unique to GW2...this is like...any game.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

B2P is a door that swings both ways. In hopes to draw in gamers to a game they can play whenever they want without a fee. It also allows the pendulum to swing the other way. People can also put it down when ever they want and return on a whim. So they can continue to maintain their sub based games without feeling like they are losing from GW2 either.

This means that WoW and GW2 and whatever other games people sub to can enjoy their populations as players share their time and go back and forth.

People always want to see these huge impacts in player-bases when new games release. Fortunately, these impacts are never quite that large.

or they might wonder why they are paying 15 bucks a month for a game that has a outdated game design ( quest hubs, non scalable content, end game that consists of nothing but repeating the same old raid for disposable gear etc)

I have my lifetime sub  to LoTRO, and SWToR is going F2P if I start missing qany of those

I miss DAoC

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Tardcore
    Originally posted by sonoggi

out of the 24 servers, 13 are full at peak times, with never less than 6 full and never more than 3 medium. this game is growing every day. this just blows my mind. im glad people are giving it the attention it deserves. at the very least, this shows that ANet made a FUN game. 

raiders and power gamers will question its longevity, and may play less at 80 due to a challenging and "unrewarding" endgame, or lack of pvp skills/interest, as evidenced by XFire stats. however, only a small portion of GW2's player base uses XFire (probably only those who care to show off their /played hours, i.e. power gamers), and a more accurate estimate of the pop would be server pop categories show in World Selection.

all in all, glad to see the game growing. im not even halfway through the pve content, and im already looking forward to new DE's (and current ones getting scaled properly, no sense denying it's a problem). i may be in a minority on these forums when i say that GW2 has a long life and a high user count ahead. see u in Tyria. 

And the game is less than one month old. Kept seeing these kinds of threads about SWTOR for seven months.

Now I'm not saying that GW2 is going to become a ghost town, or that it has any of the major flaws that TOR did. I am simply saying its a bit early to be crowing about this games absoloute success OR demise this early into the games life span.

I agree its too soon but then every newly released MMO needs one topic like this. I would be surprised if servers are not merged in few months. It always happens. The only exception is WOW.

In EU 9 servers have already settled on medium population. 

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    What is the purpose of this thread, unless you are worried that GW2 is NOT going strong?
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

GW2 Going Strong

Great to hear and wish that to all game really even to those I might not like or play. And aint playing GW2...yet, but alway's is good to see a new MMO doing good.

But then again it has only been a few weeks but it would be great to see a similar post made 6 months to a year from now.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

No sub for the game, so I don't really think it matters to much.  However, I can't see a massive amount of people sticking with it for the long run.  After almost a month I have to admit, game's pretty boring.

Not boring like pve isn't fun, or the combat isn't fun, but boring as in the game feels incredibly shallow and devoid of point.  I'm mostly interested in the PvP, and I'm having an incredibly hard time finding the "competetive" part of it.  Normally, when I think of something as competetive, there's usually something to compete for, I'm not seeing that here.

Exploration in GW2 isn't really exploring.  Everything is pretty much laid out on the map, I have no feeling of exploring the world.  When I explore I want to discover, and there's nothing to discover because of everything being pointed to on the map.  You move to an area, it opens up, and then you move from point to point in order to complete the map; that's not exploring.  Exploring means not knowing what you're going to find or where you're going to find it.  This is honestly the thing that's bothering me most about the game.  I followed the development and there was all this stuff about how explorers would love the game, that it rewards exploration, it doesn't.  It rewardst he completionist.

What are vistas supposed to be?  Puzzles?  Some are platforming puzzules but a lot aren't.  Are they supposed to be a point to find to be rewarded with spectactular views of the world?  Not really, there are vistas on rocks and other nonsensecle places that don't really serve a point. 

People complain about the dumbing down of MMO's.  WoW put marks over the heads of quest givers and then they showed you on the map were to go to do the quest, and people bitched.  My god, GW2 took it to an entire other level. 

Not a bad game.  Just not finding it to be a very interesting one.  The fact that there is no subscription and it caters to the casual, softcore PvP crowd means it's going to always have plenty of people playing it.  Just way to ultra casual for my taste though, and I have a feeling that an awful lot of people are going to find it the same way in the coming weeks. 

Just kind of pointless, dull, and far to casual even for the typical MMOer.   It's interesting too, the crafting, something I don't usually enjoy in themepark games, is by far the most hardcore, deep, explorative, and fun thing in the game.  The rest of it, not so much.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532
    Originally posted by Yamota

Yeah, unbelievable isn't it? What tall tale are we going to spin next? Being too immersed in game to read the chat window... Preposterous? Whoever has ever heard of such a thing!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Uhwop

Not boring like pve isn't fun, or the combat isn't fun, but boring as in the game feels incredibly shallow and devoid of point.  I'm mostly interested in the PvP, and I'm having an incredibly hard time finding the "competetive" part of it.  Normally, when I think of something as competetive, there's usually something to compete for, I'm not seeing that here.

I thought it was just me. Just because you call it "competetive pvp" doesn't mean that it is. Was arena called competitive arena? No you knew what it was the first time you jumped in.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

No sub for the game, so I don't really think it matters to much.  However, I can't see a massive amount of people sticking with it for the long run.  After almost a month I have to admit, game's pretty boring.

Exploration in GW2 isn't really exploring.  Everything is pretty much laid out on the map, I have no feeling of exploring the world.  When I explore I want to discover, and there's nothing to discover because of everything being pointed to on the map.  You move to an area, it opens up, and then you move from point to point in order to complete the map; that's not exploring.  Exploring means not knowing what you're going to find or where you're going to find it.  This is honestly the thing that's bothering me most about the game.  I followed the development and there was all this stuff about how explorers would love the game, that it rewards exploration, it doesn't.  It rewardst he completionist.

What are vistas supposed to be?  Puzzles?  Some are platforming puzzules but a lot aren't.  Are they supposed to be a point to find to be rewarded with spectactular views of the world?  Not really, there are vistas on rocks and other nonsensecle places that don't really serve a point. 

People complain about the dumbing down of MMO's.  WoW put marks over the heads of quest givers and then they showed you on the map were to go to do the quest, and people bitched.  My god, GW2 took it to an entire other level. 

Not a bad game.  Just not finding it to be a very interesting one.  The fact that there is no subscription and it caters to the casual, softcore PvP crowd means it's going to always have plenty of people playing it.  Just way to ultra casual for my taste though, and I have a feeling that an awful lot of people are going to find it the same way in the coming weeks. 

Just kind of pointless, dull, and far to casual even for the typical MMOer.   It's interesting too, the crafting, something I don't usually enjoy in themepark games, is by far the most hardcore, deep, explorative, and fun thing in the game.  The rest of it, not so much.

Agree with a lot of what you say.  For all the supposed exploration, there seems to be very little actually there.  And each vista rewards you with experience for going to it.  So not much exploring for exploring's sake if you're getting paid to visit each one.

As for the vistas, at least TOR gave me a reason to get those datacrons.  I'm not so sure what the point is for these aside for map completion (and, of course XP).

The majority of complaints I see about the game is the lack of depth (something I agree on); I don't know how they plan any retaining players if people are complaining about this a month in.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Ever wonder why companies removed actual player numbers per server on their server browser since EQ1's days? (hint: SOE used to show player numbers a LONG time ago per EQ server on the browser).

It's so you can trick the players into thinking the game is not bleeding numbers by simply moving the parameters for the server browser's player population limits. SWTOR did it until the limits became so extreme it was almost a lie (302players online == "HEAVY" anyone?).

I never trust what a server browser says in that context anymore. What i trust is the overall population density in the "congregation" areas such as in front of dungeons, crafting areas, major farming spots, end-game zones, etc.

So far, seems as if GW2 is getting heavy losses at the moment. We'll know in a couple more months for sure though.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Agree with a lot of what you say.  For all the supposed exploration, there seems to be very little actually there.  And each vista rewards you with experience for going to it.  So not much exploring for exploring's sake if you're getting paid to visit each one.

As for the vistas, at least TOR gave me a reason to get those datacrons.  I'm not so sure what the point is for these aside for map completion (and, of course XP).

The majority of complaints I see about the game is the lack of depth (something I agree on); I don't know how they plan any retaining players if people are complaining about this a month in.

I have to wonder how many hidden chests, hidden caves, jumping puzzles, secret labs etc. you guys are missing on because you actually think everything is on the map.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Ever wonder why companies removed actual player numbers per server on their server browser since EQ1's days? (hint: SOE used to show player numbers a LONG time ago per EQ server on the browser).

It's so you can trick the players into thinking the game is not bleeding numbers by simply moving the parameters for the server browser's player population limits. SWTOR did it until the limits became so extreme it was almost a lie (302players online == "HEAVY" anyone?).

I never trust what a server browser says in that context anymore. What i trust is the overall population density in the "congregation" areas such as in front of dungeons, crafting areas, major farming spots, end-game zones, etc.

So far, seems as if GW2 is getting heavy losses at the moment. We'll know in a couple more months for sure though.

Hmm... that would explain all the time I still spend in overflow servers then...

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Volkon

Hmm... that would explain all the time I still spend in overflow servers then...

I spend considerably less time on overflow (if there is one) than I did a couple weeks back.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by sonoggi

out of the 24 servers, 13 are full at peak times, with never less than 6 full and never more than 3 medium. this game is growing every day. this just blows my mind. im glad people are giving it the attention it deserves. at the very least, this shows that ANet made a FUN game. 

raiders and power gamers will question its longevity, and may play less at 80 due to a challenging and "unrewarding" endgame, or lack of pvp skills/interest, as evidenced by XFire stats. however, only a small portion of GW2's player base uses XFire (probably only those who care to show off their /played hours, i.e. power gamers), and a more accurate estimate of the pop would be server pop categories show in World Selection.

all in all, glad to see the game growing. im not even halfway through the pve content, and im already looking forward to new DE's (and current ones getting scaled properly, no sense denying it's a problem). i may be in a minority on these forums when i say that GW2 has a long life and a high user count ahead. see u in Tyria. 

I remember last week when 22 out of 24 servers were full, at primetime, now is 13, even less in a few weeks. Definitely the game is growing. 

Originally posted by Volkon

I have to wonder how many hidden chests, hidden caves, jumping puzzles, secret labs etc. you guys are missing on because you actually think everything is on the map.

So there are things actually not on the map?   Unheard of in an MMO before!

Edit: In all seriousness, I wouldn't have any idea.  I don't like to "cheat" by searching for solutions/maps online so how could I tell?

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

And just how does it "seems as if GW2 is getting heavy losses...?"  Based off of MMORPG hater posts?   And how are we going to know in the next couple of months?  What is going to be the indicator that points to the amount of population?  According to you we shouldn't trust the server browser,..so what do us poor little fanboys/haters have to use?  Lemme guess,  some random dude is going to post on here in a couple of months and state that the game has failed!.  Well, actually that has already been done,...hmmmmm  /rubschin

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

I don't mind getting rewarded for exporing, but if I"m exploring I expect there to be discovery, there is none though.  Every thing is pointed to, and laid out for me.  It's not exploration in GW2 it's VISITING.  You're like a tourist with a map that tells you exactly were to go and what to look at. 

There's this guy -Bourdain or something- on the travel chanell that has a food show, and he's always saying something along the lines of be a traveller; not a tourist.  I didn't really understand it at first, GW2 actually taught me something.

You don't explore paris with a tourists map that tells you what musiums or historical places to visit, you explore paris without a tourist map and DISCOVER what makes Paris great. 

Every single person in GW2 is running around with a tourists map that tells them exactly where to go, what to look at, and what to do.  It's taking the question mark and map point to a whole new level of easy and casual.  There's literally no thinking or discovery outside of crafting in GW2.  it makes for an exceptionally dull experience.

Good lord, you enter an area and you get a giant message on your screen to do an event before you even get a chance to look at your surroundings.