Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crash crash crash...

Comments

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Elikal

Ok, this is getting absurd. It was bad enough the game crashed every 45-60 mins in PVE and every 30 min in WvW. But I managed.

But now in my level 50 personal story quest "Battle of Claw Island", it crashes EVERY 5 minutes. I can't even finish the story, and I tried several times, even with lowest settings to be sure.

This isn't funny anymore.

I have had 1 crash since head start, and that was zoning from W v W.  That is one pitfall that computer gaming has over consoles, there are so many thousands, perhaps millions, of configurations of software/hardware that it is impossible to make it work for everyone.  This is why I've always said that they (meaning all pc gaming companies) should give a refund within 48 hours of purchase in case the game simply doesn't work on someones system.  Of course that is a discussion for another thread.

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

Ok, this is getting absurd. It was bad enough the game crashed every 45-60 mins in PVE and every 30 min in WvW. But I managed.

But now in my level 50 personal story quest "Battle of Claw Island", it crashes EVERY 5 minutes. I can't even finish the story, and I tried several times, even with lowest settings to be sure.

I have had 1 crash since head start, and that was zoning from W v W.  That is one pitfall that computer gaming has over consoles, there are so many thousands, perhaps millions, of configurations of software/hardware that it is impossible to make it work for everyone.  This is why I've always said that they (meaning all pc gaming companies) should give a refund within 48 hours of purchase in case the game simply doesn't work on someones system.  Of course that is a discussion for another thread.

I'll only say this. There's this big sticker on the back of the box (or on the official website) that has "System specs" listed. There are also sites like "CanUrunit.com" that help you figure out if your pc will play the game. There's also Nvidia update and AMD'S catalyst thingy that help you keep your driver up to date...and lastly; installing ANY game will install the DirectX version that it needs to run whether it be DX11.1 DX9.0c or whatever. So getting a refund because the game didn't work would be assanine.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Just guessing here but I think the Mac patch yesterday did soimething to the login servers. Last night I was fine but early this morning ( about 6 am EST) the game gave me a fit for about 20 to30 minutes. Once that 20 - 30 min was over I played for  3 hours without so much as a hiccup until I logged off to get some real life things done.

I miss DAoC

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

what are your CPU/GPU temps? you could be having an overheating issue.. I'd run some stress tests and check temperatures. Haven't had a hard crash since launch here.

Heat has been my issue in past.

For >$50 you can get a quality air cooler for the cpu. Hit up Newegg.

I overclock a bit so I take it a step further, and keep my case open, and have an external fan blowing in XD, the things we do.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by Four0Six

Heat has been my issue in past.

For >$50 you can get a quality air cooler for the cpu. Hit up Newegg.

I overclock a bit so I take it a step further, and keep my case open, and have an external fan blowing in XD, the things we do.

I had to do that to get my vid card to tolerate skyrim. CPU was fine, vid card was teh culprit.  Even after I set the video card fan to 100 percent, underclocked the video card,  and tweaked Skyrims graphics down to the lowest setting the game would crash every ten minutes. I have never had any issue with any other game wuth that card ( Radeon 6870). A 20 buck desk fan from the hardware store cured the problem entirely

I miss DAoC

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    If you are crashing, make sure nothing in your system is overclocked. GW2 doesn't seem to like it.  It was the issue that I had. Devs have even stated this.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

My GTX 560 Ti video card was stuttering. I couldn't figure out why and thought it was the game. NOPE! It turned out that my issue was I was using Wireless networking to connect to our cable modem. The PCI adaptor was polling and interrupting the system. I bought a Wireless repeater with a 4-port hub and wired my PC to that. No more issues.

I guess I will repeat what others have said. Look at YOUR PC first before blaming the game. Too many times it is something as simple as a badly written driver, expecially in Win XP Pro.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by TheIronLegion

I'll only say this. There's this big sticker on the back of the box (or on the official website) that has "System specs" listed. There are also sites like "CanUrunit.com" that help you figure out if your pc will play the game. There's also Nvidia update and AMD'S catalyst thingy that help you keep your driver up to date...and lastly; installing ANY game will install the DirectX version that it needs to run whether it be DX11.1 DX9.0c or whatever. So getting a refund because the game didn't work would be assanine.

Do you really think that they can optimize a game for every single one of the hundreds of thousands of possible combinations of hardware and software that ensures it will run if you meet the "minimum requirements?"  I don't really think it is the game companies fault for not being able to make the game work on every combination of components out there, and thus wouldn't bash them if the game wouldn't run on my computer but would on thousands or millions of others computers, but I don't think it is out of line to be able to go to a company and expect to get a refund. 

Edit:  This wasn't even a problem if you played BWE because they were giving refunds if you didn't like the game, you had to contact them, and there was no automated process for it.  I may not like some aspects of the game but Anet will always be in my good graces if for no other reason than that.

• Hmm I don't crash much but a guildmate was.

Try changing your driver to the nvidia 306 beta driver.  People are reporting better stability with them.  If you have AMD card then I dunno though.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by imlazyxd
    Time to get a new computer.

a) Time you gave me the money?

and

b) Look at the official Tech forum. There are hundreds of crash entries, all for VERY different computers and Windows versions. So... no. Just no.

i been working with computers for a very long time now.. most times it is a user issue with system or internet.. not saying game bugs don't cause crashes but overall it generally is not anything with the game in my experience.. we need system info to be more helpful.. If possible i'd also recommend a clean install of windows if you haven't done that in a good while.

I know people try to help, and I appreciate that. But look, I am using computers for 20 years give or take. While I am no master of comp-tech, I surely know how to properly run a computer, keeping everything working properly. And as proof, every other game I played the last months and weeks works very good. So I have reason to assume there is nothing wrong with my computer, but with my compatibility, something that ANet has to patch and work on.

I use Intel, NVidia and Windows XP. A game simply HAS to work with that widespread system setup. Sorry if that comes over as arrogant, it is arrogant towards ANet as a paying customer, where I think, having no niche computer and a good understanding of how to operate my computer, it just *has* to work.

Intel Pentium 4?  NVidia 7000 series?  Windows XP SP1?  See, all those things are considered UNDER minimum specifications.  You're not giving any details at all, just brand names.  Those companies and series have multiple versions.   XP in itself is a minimum OS and should be running SP2/SP3; and if you're running an early version than you're running 32bit, meaning that you're not running a suitable amount of RAM for this game (because of the 32bit OS limitation).

I'm sorry, but the game doesn't "just have to work" for low end computers; this game is not WoW and didn't come out 7 years ago.  Welcome to 2012, where tech is already into 6-core and even Octa-Core (8) processors.  Computers are mostly running Windows 7 on 64bit OS, with an upcoming conversion to Windows 8 (I'll pass on that crap, though).  RAM is considered "low" if you have less than 4gb, and "average" if you have 8gb.  Nvidia went from the #-thousands series to a #-hundred series, with the 600 series being the newest.

So, the question is:  Details, do you have them?

And, for that matter, I'm going to deduce that with the very little information that you've provided your computer is UNDER minimum specification and that you cannot rightfully play this game.  Because of this, you really have no room to complain about the crashes and instead should get a new computer or not play this game on that older one.  But again, this is an assumption made based on those "details" you've provided.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Most of those users are Nvidia card users running the latest 306.* drivers. I'm using an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T overclocked to 3.6GHz and a factory overclocked MSI GTX560Ti and haven't had any issues with GW2. I'm also using Nvidia drivers from a year ago.

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by TheIronLegion

Do you really think that they can optimize a game for every single one of the hundreds of thousands of possible combinations of hardware and software that ensures it will run if you meet the "minimum requirements?"  I don't really think it is the game companies fault for not being able to make the game work on every combination of components out there, and thus wouldn't bash them if the game wouldn't run on my computer but would on thousands or millions of others computers, but I don't think it is out of line to be able to go to a company and expect to get a refund. 

Edit:  This wasn't even a problem if you played BWE because they were giving refunds if you didn't like the game, you had to contact them, and there was no automated process for it.  I may not like some aspects of the game but Anet will always be in my good graces if for no other reason than that.

Only issue is that you've already "consumed" the product. That's like buying a turkey from Walmart and then asking for a refund because it doesnt fit in your oven. Unfortunately there is no way to tell if a game will work on all systems as a developer, but it is in the users best interest to investigate and do some searching for themsleves. That and there are always things that can be done to fix issues that are client side(e.g. getting a new graphics card, updating drivers, reseating components -ram,cpu,etc). So asking for a refund is still assanine.

• ShubawkssShubawkss Member Posts: 55
    No crashing issues here, sounds like a computer issue on your end.
  • donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816

I've been playing daily since the release.

I have crashed one time, and that was a sever reboot.

It's your system sorry.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    If you are crashing, make sure nothing in your system is overclocked. GW2 doesn't seem to like it.  It was the issue that I had. Devs have even stated this.

I never do overclocking. Just damages the system in the long run.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

OP, get someone with knowledge about computers to check your computer. If a forum is your only option (never on a pure games website!), be prepared to actually answer technical people's questions, or they simply will lack enough info to properly help you.

Most in this thread don't know what they are talking about. Especially ignore the shooting from the hip kind of upgrade advise without knowing exactly what your pc's issue is with the game. Those comments are useless unless you want to spend money without solving your problem with the game.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

I have never experienced a crash in GW2 besides server reboots during 3 days headstart.

Would be nice if you post your specs when making threads like these.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

If you want tech support be prepared to provide technical info....

If you wanted to b____ and moan then don't be surprised when you get less than useful replies.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Have you tried reinstalling the game?  Uninstall it completely and reinstall it and see if that fixes your problem.  Other than that, it sounds to me like it's your computer and not the game.  Considering that many many people are playing without issue and only a relative few are having crashing issues, I think it's a safe bet it's your computer.  Posting specs would be the most helpful thing you can do to have people help you determine what the cause might be.  I don't really understand why you won't post your specs when many people have asked for it.

Just saying "it's not me, GW2 needs to patch to solve my problem" isn't going to do anything but cause you a lot of frustration.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Yep, crashing sucks.  I do work in the computer relations field,, and can give some general things that I look at when it comes to these types of things.  How many users is this affecting?  Is it  a persistent problem, or does it fluctuate?  Is the solution simple or complex?  HOW MANY USERS ARE AFFECTED.  There are obviously more factors that play into things, but those are the main ones I think.

I have no idea about the problem you are having, and some of the things that I would ask in order to help me isolate the problem.  However, the couple of questions I stated above would be look at (and there are dependencies), to see what needs to be done.

Hopefully, in your case, it's a problem affecting many users.  This will mean a greater chance that your issue gets resolved.  Obviously, this isn't good for those others who are having the same issue.  But in this case, misery loves company.  It gets attention.

I self identify as a monkey.

• benit59benit59 Member UncommonPosts: 114

Still using Windows XP to play new games and thinks that overclocking destroys hardware "in the long run". Threads like this make me cry. No amount of intelligent discourse will sway the OP from their backward thinking.

It's a shame that so many people are trying to be helpful, but the OP won't even post a dxdiag or anything. I'm not even really sure what the point of the post was. Are you trying to incite some sort of anti-GW2 sentiment to make you feel better about the fact that you can't solve your problem? Maybe you were reaching out for help but have somehow failed epicly in the process. It's like if someone was broken down on the side of the road, turns on their emergency flashers, but everytime someone stops to help you won't get out of the car or even pop the hood.

Anyway. Good luck.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Dibdabs
    I've racked up a LOT of time on GW2 since release and I have NEVER had the game crash.  My PC is pretty average, too.

Same here, although I know that is of no comfort to the OP. :(

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Well, if you want help pinpointing the issue that's causing the crashes, some things that would be nice to know.

You said you're using Windows XP. Which service pack (SP1, SP2, SP3)? Is it 32 or 64 bits?

What processor? You said intel, would be good to know the model, speed and if possible, maybe even the motherboard model and/or chipset if possible.

You already said you have a nvidia card. Which model?

How much RAM do you have?

HD space? How old is your HD? Is there a chance it might be failing?

How are you connected to the internet? (as in, plugged by ethernet, wifi, public wifi and so on)

Few things I'd do to try to troubleshot the problem:

First of all, run this site: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx

just to make sure your computer falls within GW2 min. system requirements.

Next, get a copy of memtest and leave it running overnight to be sure the problem isn't with the RAM memory. Also use windows own HD error checking program to test your HD. Also, depending on your HD brand, some can also offer free testing software:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by sookster54

Most of those users are Nvidia card users running the latest 306.* drivers. I'm using an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T overclocked to 3.6GHz and a factory overclocked MSI GTX560Ti and haven't had any issues with GW2. I'm also using Nvidia drivers from a year ago.

I have the latest 306. nVidia driver for my card and have no problems whatsoever, so.....I think this thread is full of generalizations and the poor OP isn't going to get any relief from it.  Not that's it's anyone's job to fix his issue, but still....it's more like making it worse when we're all just throwing out ideas randomly that are likely wrong.

/shrug

I guess one idea could miraculously turn out right?

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club