Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting to understand the importance of combos

2»

Comments

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    Originally posted by DMKano

My regular group is 2 guardians and 3 warriors - we are all 80s and haven't needed any combos period mostly due to limited options of only 2 classes.

i think the system is cool but it is not really needed - we are doing all content so far including explore mode dungeons without any planned combos, just coordinated buff rotation.

This is surprising, not that you complete content but that you don't use combo's, especially with gaurdians.

I'm sure one of the warriors has a banner?

Smack that thing down on a gaurdian symbol and you all get retaliation, that's less dps to you, more dps to enemies. 

Light field + blast = area retaliation, destroys dungeons.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452

Four types of finisher skills:  Blast, Leap, Projectile, Whirl

Nine fields: Dark, Ethereal, Fire, Ice, Light, Lightning, Poison, Smoke, Water

Field Blast Leap Projectile Whirl
    Dark AoE Blind Blind Lifesteal AoE Lifesteal
    Ethereal AoE Chaos Armor Chaos Armor Confuse AoE Confuse
    Fire AoE Might Fire Armor Burn AoE Burn
    Ice AoE Frost Armor Frost Armor Chill AoE Chill
    Light AoE Retal Retal RC AoE RC
    Lightning AoE Swift Daze Vuln AoE Vuln
    Poison AoE Weak Weak Poison AoE Poison
    Smoke AoE Stealth Stealth Blind AoE Blind
    Water AoE Heal Heal Regen AoE Heal

Enemies who try to fire projectiles through a smoke field an ally placed will miss.

Check your tooltips - each class can do quite a few of these.  If you're an engineer, make sure to check your toolkit abilities; many of the more effective fields are tucked away.

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

Looking over these forums, and doing my own research, I'm still not finding evidence that suggests that these combo attacks actually INCREASE damage done.  That they just add an effect to certain attacks.  Does anybody have evidence that combo attacks do, in fact, buff damage done with these attacks?

For example if an Ele throws out a fire wall, and I just so happen to be using a 1-handed sword and I do Savage Leap through the fire.  Will I ONLY get fire shield?  Or will the Savage Leap attack through the fire wall get a bonus in damage as well as my receiving the fire shield for defense?

Anybody know?

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Khaeros

Enemies who try to fire projectiles through a smoke field an ally placed will miss.

My problem with this is that classes seem limited to 2-3 finishers. So what you looking at for example necros lay down dark combo fields. They have 2 finisher I think. A blast and a projectile,  both tie to the two handed staff.  

So actuallity out of this list and table, there are two effects triggered by two spells. This is very limited and restrictive, also adds very little to game play. Why don't all weapons finishers? 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Bcbully the main purpose of finishers is for group play so you have to look at how combos work with a group not just a single person... my ele can build up 10 stacks of might by herself which does increase my damage output but overall combos mostly benefit group play

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452

From what I see, using fields doesn't increase your raw damage directly.  That said, the game's conditions and boons are pretty powerful, so it's almost always worth using combo fields.

When making good character builds, you'll want to take advantage of boons, conditions, or both in your trait lines and utility skills.  Combo fields help add even more to the stack.  When you roll up to the next champion mob and a group of ranged are shooting it, throw a field in front of them and watch the hearts spring up like crazy.  Being able to perpetually apply and stack conditions will save lives.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I don't think they really want people to solo combo.  I think they are meant more for groups.  I do agree that it does seem odd that all classes don't have all finishers or do they?
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    I don't think they really want people to solo combo.  I think they are meant more for groups.  I do agree that it does seem odd that all classes don't have all finishers or do they?

Not all types of finishers per say, but just more finishers in general. It woud add a lot to the depth of the system imo, and make combat more fun. 

I wouldn't be against having more types for each class either. I do understand why one class does not carry all types though.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

Check your tooltips - each class can do quite a few of these.  If you're an engineer, make sure to check your toolkit abilities; many of the more effective fields are tucked away.

This is awesome, I seriously need to have this handy when I play.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

Regarding combos and group play.  I really tried last night to work out more tactics with combos and now I am becoming more aware of how to utilise and support others.  As an Engineer, if I see a lot of players using range attacks, I am trying to remind myself to throw down a wall of fire in front of the champion or whatever. 

Still need to check out my damage when firing through a fire field, I keep forgetting to check my combat log! grrr

I do wonder how an organised guild could own in this game if they had vent and were in PvP.  Where there is a bottleneck of enemy players, I can see a few fields being laid down and then stick in 6 players with leaping finishers...the outcome could be brutal.

Took this shot in Beta, so its not that great but I do remember this battle and seeing 10-20 players all at the gate.  Combofest right there.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Bumping this back to the front page since there are a lot of people complaining about how hard the game is. Thanks for posting this thread OP.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Originally posted by chryses

Regarding combos and group play.  I really tried last night to work out more tactics with combos and now I am becoming more aware of how to utilise and support others.  As an Engineer, if I see a lot of players using range attacks, I am trying to remind myself to throw down a wall of fire in front of the champion or whatever. 

Still need to check out my damage when firing through a fire field, I keep forgetting to check my combat log! grrr

I do wonder how an organised guild could own in this game if they had vent and were in PvP.  Where there is a bottleneck of enemy players, I can see a few fields being laid down and then stick in 6 players with leaping finishers...the outcome could be brutal.

Took this shot in Beta, so its not that great but I do remember this battle and seeing 10-20 players all at the gate.  Combofest right there.

When I did my testing, I didnt notice a difference in damage.  But the effects seem to be based on the stats of whoever put down the field.  So the burn damage will be based on the condition damage stat of the guy who put down the field and same with poison.

Havent tested out the water field because you cant see healing numbers inthe combat log  and I need another person to test it out:( at least not for the regen part.  Testing the fire and poison field is easy just let someone drop a poison field and shoot through it with something that can surely finish the combo and just like....see if the other d00d gets exp. lawl

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    Originally posted by DMKano

My regular group is 2 guardians and 3 warriors - we are all 80s and haven't needed any combos period mostly due to limited options of only 2 classes.

i think the system is cool but it is not really needed - we are doing all content so far including explore mode dungeons without any planned combos, just coordinated buff rotation.

You could be using combos and not know it.... guardians have multiple combos.

2 H sword and 2 H hammer both have combo zones that warriors can use without the warrior knowing it....for example... they put down a field/zone with their auto attack (1) skill... the field buffs you with protection..... if the guardian uses their 2 right after on that zone it'll cast retribution on everyone.

2 Hand sword has something similar.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    Originally posted by bcbully

My problem with this is that classes seem limited to 2-3 finishers. So what you looking at for example necros lay down dark combo fields. They have 2 finisher I think. A blast and a projectile,  both tie to the two handed staff.  

So actuallity out of this list and table, there are two effects triggered by two spells. This is very limited and restrictive, also adds very little to game play. Why don't all weapons finishers? 

I think its due to class balance... the staff finisher is also a "line" attack... meaning the hand goes through a fire field it sets everyone on fire in that line....necromancers have lots of conditions (many area) so maybe thats why they don't.

Also you have a dark field and an ethereal feidl as a necro :)

TLDR - some classes have fields and finishers in their utilities skills.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by Angier2758
    Originally posted by bcbully

I think its due to class balance... the staff finisher is also a "line" attack... meaning the hand goes through a fire field it sets everyone on fire in that line....necromancers have lots of conditions (many area) so maybe thats why they don't.

Also you have a dark field and an ethereal feidl as a necro :)

TLDR - some classes have fields and finishers in their utilities skills.

Yes, the Elie certainly has finishers (very nice ones for dps) in their utilities skills. There are a few too linked to school of magic and weapon sets.

There are also several choices for fields. I go with two daggers at the moment and fire magic, which gives me two fields, and then I put one a finisher in one of my utilities slots. It works out very well so far.

The upside is that I have several fields and finishers available solo, the downside is that it is limited to doing burn damage, even though it is a lot of burn damage. It is great for zerging DEs but I guess I will have to swap out to something more "useful" for dungeons (still low level and learning the game).

I did still feel all warm and fuzzy inside when I saw a bunch of Guardians near my field sparking combos lastnight image

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Originally posted by KingJiggly
    Originally posted by Mithrandolir

yep, I didn't start paying real attention to this stuff until I hit 45ish, at 51 I am addicted to the combos now. i love using them and taking part in them. It's changed my entire combat outlook for the better.

Flame turret skill and the magnetic pulse allows you to turn invisible for a decent amount of time. 

thanks for this tip didnt know it, must try

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    I was very disapointed with my necro. It has only few skills that can be part of a combo and if you play dagger/dagger you have zero. Also from the utility skills only the wells act as combo fields. :/
  • ennymithennymith Member UncommonPosts: 121

The classes that get the most combos and can even initiate and finish them by themselves are the same classes that whine and QQ about warriors being OP.

Funny when you consider warriors only have a couple of finisher and no initiatior combo moves.

For warriors at least, combos are a useless gimmick that does nothing for them.