Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So almost a month has gone by

Comments

• LorkiiLorkii Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by eggy08
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Arrow carts, burning oil, balistas and cannons. With a few of these, the zerg is basically made obsolete since you can easily take out the packs of characters and the siege weapons they make to attack with. Without the siege weapons, it will take you forever to get through that gate, and by then they would either disperse due to dying so often, or they wouldn't get in at all.

There are weapons out there to stop the zerg, not sure how you expect the zerg to magically beat the 20 who are in the base when they are protected by the walls. The only way they won't win is if they refuse to build siege weapons that will give them the upper advantage.

Yay, someone who actually played GW2 W3 beyond the basic "zerg". Hopefully our friend will take advice from you and try it out.

Doubt he even plays. Usually go around in my gank squad of 2 rogues and me as a warrior and take small objectives over following the zerg. But honestly, I've watched the zerg and I see this happen all the time.

So you re taking objectives. Ever run into a group 2-3 times bigger and win. Now don t say you did, because it s BS. You could in DAOC, if you had a clue how to play your chars. It s just not possible in GW2 the way the classes are set up.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

At no point has GW2 grabbed me and made me say "I can't wait until I get home from work to log in!".  Instead I constantly force myself to log in and do some stuff and when I've logged out I feel like I wasted time as I didn't have any fun moments, just random accomplishments.

If you haven't quit by now, you have a serious problem - and I doubt it's only related to GW2.

I'm still waiting for any rational and valid reason from any of the "ex-DAoC" fans here about why DAoC's RvR was so much better than GW2. I think I'm going to wait a long time...

And I'm waiting for super fans to finally come down off of their high and see the game for what it is... We get it, you like the game and dislike anyone who doesn't like the game, just like a true super fan.

First the WvW maps are simply too big. This means for starters you will essentially never actually have a 3 way fight at any point in time which makes having 3 sides a bit pointless.

Second, because it is too big people will typically run the moment the fight looks interesting because dying means an annoying amount of run back to the battle area (and a cost of money) so it discourages exciting fights.

Third, siege weapons become an absolute mandatory to do anything, another money cost. It doesn't matter if you have 50 people hitting a gate, it does nothing, you need siege weapons. This sounds like a good idea but it leads to a lot of groups simply standing in place for a couple of hours fighting another big group standing in place for a couple of hours, EXCITING!!

In DAoC you'd hear a story of a rogue who took hours to sneak his way across a battlefield, up through the enemy's keep, into the room and stealing the object along with making it all the way back. You won't hear stories of such cool things in GW2.

Fourth, there is no friggin point! There is no end goal there is no win. It is just a massive constant pointless zergfest.

I'm sure if I wanted to sit down and write a term paper on it I could come up with all of the finer details on the issue. What you, and other super fans are too ignorant to get is that a player can play one thing and enjoy it and play another thing and hate it, WITHOUT EVER STOPPING TO ANALYZE IT. You know when you are having fun and you know when you aren't. Typically you just stop doing the thing that isn't fun instead of sitting down to write out all the reasons B was less fun than A. But as a super fan you couldn't possibly accept that people could have fun with one thing and not have fun with the thing you like without seeing spreadsheets and power point presentations that you can then fault for whatever reason made you feel better.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Hopefully the fanboi's will at least feel guilty for flaming every naysayer when the game is forgotten in 3 months.
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

In DAoC you'd hear a story of a rogue who took hours to sneak his way across a battlefield, up through the enemy's keep, into the room and stealing the object along with making it all the way back. You won't hear stories of such cool things in GW2.

I'm very glad GW2 doesn't have any of this. Some specific classes with specific abilities able to solo stuff meant for an organized group? And you seem to say it's a positive feature of the game? You must be kidding, right? I guess you got so addicted to Mythic's way of balancing a game that you can't see the flaws of it anymore ;-)

And before you call other people names like "super fan", maybe you will want to tone down your own blind love for a long dead game, DAoC, and also keep in mind the people you call "super fans" were doing PvP in online games years before DAoC was even a dream in Mark Jacob's twisted brain, and people who think DAoC's PvP is the best thing since sliced bread remain a tiny minority.

I'm gonna tell you something - every single game since DAoC had it's share of DAoC fans at release whining that the game wasn't DAoC2. Most games survived just fine without being "that" game, they actually did well BECAUSE they were NOT "that" DAoC2 game. And GW2 will do just fine too.

Barbecue time anyway - have a nice day.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by Lorkii

Arrow carts, burning oil, balistas and cannons. With a few of these, the zerg is basically made obsolete since you can easily take out the packs of characters and the siege weapons they make to attack with. Without the siege weapons, it will take you forever to get through that gate, and by then they would either disperse due to dying so often, or they wouldn't get in at all.

There are weapons out there to stop the zerg, not sure how you expect the zerg to magically beat the 20 who are in the base when they are protected by the walls. The only way they won't win is if they refuse to build siege weapons that will give them the upper advantage.

Yay, someone who actually played GW2 W3 beyond the basic "zerg". Hopefully our friend will take advice from you and try it out.

Doubt he even plays. Usually go around in my gank squad of 2 rogues and me as a warrior and take small objectives over following the zerg. But honestly, I've watched the zerg and I see this happen all the time.

So you re taking objectives. Ever run into a group 2-3 times bigger and win. Now don t say you did, because it s BS. You could in DAOC, if you had a clue how to play your chars. It s just not possible in GW2 the way the classes are set up.

You clearly stated that any keep or castle can be taken with 40 over 20. Idc about open world PvP or groups. Your avoiding the facts that:

1. The keep gives a higher advantage due to that they only need to focus the players over focusing doors to meet the objective.

2. Height advantage. Sure you can aoe on the cliff, but then they move back heal up and then go at you again, while you fractically try to damage the door and live.

3. siege weapons function much better on the keep than on the ground. You can easily take out siege weapons on the ground since they are wide open for attack, while on the keep you have to hope its either placed badly on the edge or in an aoe position, which could still take a long time to kill.

Not sure where you got this whole "we think that a zerg loses to a smaller group anytime anywhere mentality" since we were only focusing on keeps and towers.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

I'm very glad GW2 doesn't have any of this. Some specific classes with specific abilities able to solo stuff meant for an organized group? And you seem to say it's a positive feature of the game? You must be kidding, right? I guess you got so addicted to Mythic's way of balancing a game that you can't see the flaws of it anymore ;-)

You're missing the story 100%. It isn't that it was something rogues could just do.

It took a talented person to plan out how to do it and spend HOURS to do it once. Many rogues tried to do such a thing and they failed over and over. I suppose I can't expect reading comprehension on these forums though so it is ok.

GW2 is setup in a way that people aren't allowed creativity or allowed to even be a hero. It is stale overly sterlized bland PvP in WvW.

• nastyjmannastyjman Member Posts: 161
    Already 80 and I'm still overwhelmed with the stuff the game has: crafting, exploring, trading, PvPing, WvWvWing, gear grinding... gah. This game is the bee's knees.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by nastyjman
    Already 80 and I'm still overwhelmed with the stuff the game has: crafting, exploring, trading, PvPing, WvWvWing, gear grinding... gah. This game is the bee's knees.

Yeah and the World events and the raiding and Planar Attunement. God and don't forget those puzzles, so fun to do and achievements! 

Oh wait wrong game, my bad it sounded like another game... though that sounds like another game and another game... and another game... and another game.

All jokes asside, it does have lots of stuff to do if your really into the game. Not as much as many of its other competitors, but its likely to gain more over time, and at least it doesn't cost monthly.

• nastyjmannastyjman Member Posts: 161
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Originally posted by nastyjman

Yeah and the World events and the raiding and Planar Attunement. God and don't forget those puzzles, so fun to do and achievements! 

Oh wait wrong game, my bad it sounded like another game... though that sounds like another game and another game... and another game... and another game.

All jokes asside, it does have lots of stuff to do if your really into the game. Not as much as many of its other competitors, but its likely to gain more over time, and at least it doesn't cost monthly.

Yep. And I think there will be more down the line.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    I had more fun in DAoC's PvE, at least people grouped up and you had to rely on each other.  It was far from perfect, but it was an mmo.  MMOs these days are just single player games with a shared environment.
  • BijouBijou Member UncommonPosts: 145

I became lvl80 a week ago and I love the game more and more each day! Just got my endgame gear (transmuted T3 Norn cultural to exotic), lvled my crafting disciplines to 400, now slowly unlocking more stuff (working on 100% map now, I'm only at 35%, then I want more cultural weapon and armor skins, more bank and invo slots, all the armor dye colors, etc). No time for an alt yet. Maybe in 2013... Too much to do on my main, haha.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

And before you call other people names like "super fan", maybe you will want to tone down your own blind love for a long dead game, DAoC, and also keep in mind the people you call "super fans" were doing PvP in online games years before DAoC was even a dream in Mark Jacob's twisted brain, and people who think DAoC's PvP is the best thing since sliced bread remain a tiny minority.

I'm gonna tell you something - every single game since DAoC had it's share of DAoC fans at release whining that the game wasn't DAoC2. Most games survived just fine without being "that" game, they actually did well BECAUSE they were NOT "that" DAoC2 game. And GW2 will do just fine too.

Barbecue time anyway - have a nice day.

Here you go, you seem to have had them delete my response before, wouldn't want you to miss out on the truth.

I played MMOs from The Realm. And I played plenty of games before then. You're blinded by your own fanboyness to assume anyone who compares WvW to DAoC (where the idea was stolen from) is a super fan of DAoC. I don't compre it to the PvP in Asheron's Call because Asheron's Call doesn't have a WvW/RvR system. I don't compare it to SWG, UO, etc etc etc. because they don't have those systems.

I can't describe in words the involved in thinking that comparing the only other MMO to have a similar PvP structure as being a super fan of that game and applying that to all who dare to challenge the crap that is GW2 WvW.

DAoC was never my favorite MMO, however I did enjoy it for the PvP. The PvE was terrible. So maybe engage that fleshy mass inside your head before making the most assanine assumptions possible.

Enjoy your BBQ, I hope someone else is working the grill for the neighbor's sake.

Been reading the last couple pages, and I must agree with you on RvR vs WvW.

I guess we are "bitter old DAoC vets" even though i'm only 20.

Most people that don't like DAoC's PvP disliked its CC, but that's the only form of controlling a zerg that works. Siege is limited in GW2, which is great, and it CAN hold out against a zerg, but even a 10 seconds mesmerize would IMO be great, you still have all your condition removals you can use to purge them, but it needs something. 

I know what DAoC brought to the table. It's par none one of the best PvP games made, ONE of the best, i'm not claiming king, but one of the best made. 

I know what it brought, I experienced it all, groups from 2 to 150, I know it. I knew the enemy leaders better than they did :) (looking at you billings and clumsy), they ran the same type of zerg for years, and I found counters to each scenario. 

My point, While i like GW2's interpretation of DAoC's RvR (that's undeniable), there are things that would make it better IMO. Does it mean I don't like GW2? No it's actualy the only MMO i'm playing. 

I could write a huge long essay on things to do differently, and why certain area's don't allow certain types of gameplay, simple things like swiftness, would really increase the potential of small mans being effective. i'm talking 2 people, not 8. 

Others as well, but none-the-less i'm just a bitter young DAoC vet. 

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

The release of this game has certainly been one of my favorite experiences in gaming. I'm around 125 hours on my main character and I feel like I've seen only a fraction of what the game has to offer. The prospect of having new zones to explore is extremely exciting, and based on how Anet has handled things so far, I'm assured of their quality and beauty.

Likewise, the combat is rather enjoyable. The game does have an Action-RPG feel to it, which adds to its fluidity and enjoyment. The crafting is also fairly deep and accentuates the exploration focus of the game. The addition of the mystic forge and legendary make an already desirable system even better. Combine that with the well done interface functionality, and I'm in love.

There are few points I think could be improved. First, I would like to see the trait system more flexible. Having to pay for retraits goes against the goals of the game and doesn't provide for the situational flexibility that the first one had. Not having an ability to subtract and add, then save the build also detriments an otherwise good system.

The trading post is a good start and a welcome feature. The functionality behind it is solid, but it could use an interface lift.

Another concern I have is the condition of early level dynamic events that don't provide worthwhile rewards. Additionally, dynamic event rewards should have class based rewards.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by Torgrim

How do you feel about the game, the good the bad what might come?

For me I still enjoy the game, I don't rush but the game seem to rush on me via leveling is somewhat increased after lvl 40 despite anet 1-2 takes as long as 79-80.

Besides that I still having a blast playing the game.

How about you guys?

I dont have fun playing this game,therfore have not played for about 3 weeks,hope some things changes in game soon so it get more fun

• SimonVDHSimonVDH Member Posts: 178

There are many things great about the game; graphic, art, music, dynamic events, story, big world, big cities, a lot of things to do, and many more.

Sadly, for me, there are some fundamental flaws in the game's design :

- No real character progression and, as a result of this, no long term goal, to set for myself, that would give me a reason to invest time and effort in the game. Mabey I'm missing something, but I feel like I'm going nowhere whenever I play.

- No challenge in playing - I don't mean that the game is easy. What I mean is that, for me, there is no satisfaction after winninng a hard fight. This is true for both PvE and PvP. I think that it's becouse fights feel completly random. Sometimes, I just use all the skills randomly (including weapon switching and all utility skills) and it seems to be just as effective, as playing "properly" and trying to use some strategy. Also, in PvE, death has (almost) no consequence and you go to "downed state" before dying. This makes fights so trivial, that its hard for me to pay attention to what's actually going on.

- No need for interaction between players - many people brought it up in many threads already and I have to agree. No healers, no need for groups, no open world PvP, no need to talk, you can't even fight for recourses, becouse everybody get's their own. The only reason for interaction, that comes to my mind, is roleplaying.

- Separate  maps for PvE, sPvP, WvW and instant travel fom anywhere to waypoints that there are waaay to many of. It makes the game feel like a lobby game more than a seamless, open world.

This is just my small, private rant, so don't feel discouraged in any way by it. I still think that the game is very solid and ArenaNet did a good job. I just think that it's veeeery casual and veeeery solo-friendly, and it may fail to keep attention of people, that have been playing MMORPGs for years.

Also, sorry if my english is terrible and you have no idea about what I'm trying to say.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

219 hours in the last 24 days...highest level toon  55 with only 32% of the world explored..I need to walk away from this thing every now and then

I have no plan when I play , I just wander the world doing whatever I feel like at that moment, not trying to level really. That is the beauty of the game for me. No pressure to make another level so I can get to the "mythical" end game./ Got 5 toons, may play 1 or all of them in an evening

Oh and on the no  life thing, just checked one of the games persitant trolls posting history...over 500 posts on a account made a year and a half ago ...all of them telling how bad GW2 was going to be / is bad. talk about needing a life

I miss DAoC

Originally posted by Jackdog

Oh and on the no  life thing, just checked one of the games persitant trolls posting history...over 500 posts on a account made a year and a half ago ...all of them telling how bad GW2 was going to be / is bad. talk about needing a life

:)

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Loving it :).

Seems like self fulfilling prophecy is in full effect on these boards.  Most people that railed against GW2 prior to release wound up not liking it (surprise, surprise).  And most people that were fans of GW2 prior to release, wound up enjoying it.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Originally posted by Wolvards

I could write a huge long essay on things to do differently, and why certain area's don't allow certain types of gameplay, simple things like swiftness, would really increase the potential of small mans being effective. i'm talking 2 people, not 8. 

Others as well, but none-the-less i'm just a bitter young DAoC vet. 

Nope. It just shows you are not a game designer. And as a gamer for over 30 years, I thank the gaming gods for it.

;-)

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Creslin321

Seems like self fulfilling prophecy is in full effect on these boards.  Most people that railed against GW2 prior to release wound up not liking it (surprise, surprise).  And most people that were fans of GW2 prior to release, wound up enjoying it.

Not too surprising for just one month in.  I think for TOR, results were pretty similar within the timeframe.  Be more interesting to see as we hit 3-6+ months.

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

Actually, i've seen quite a few posters who where against the game and ended up buying and liking it, aswell as former big fans who have not been so pleased and even disappointed. Not tons, but some yes.

As for myself, haven't bough the game yet, so no comment. image

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by grimal

Not too surprising for just one month in.  I think for TOR, results were pretty similar within the timeframe.  Be more interesting to see as we hit 3-6+ months.

I will hopefully not be playing the game in 4 months or so, or at least not playing it to the level I am now.  Because if I am, then I have seriously neglected my RL responsibilities lol.

I think there is a misconception here that if a game does not entertain you infinitely, then it has failed.  This is a fairly ridiculous misconception.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

I'm enjoying it mostly, though I can see a few problems for me on the horizion:

-I'm finding it difficult to actually, 'bond', with a class, by that I mean find a class I really want to play to the end with. I've rerolled a few times and have a few alts, it's got to the point were I've had to force myself to just play one class for a while. It also bothers me that I'm 63 on my main, (elementalist), and I already have most of the exciting skills unlocked and there isn't a huge amount to look forward to powerwise.  Just more utilitywise skills which are a tad uninspiring. 

-The trinity isn't dead, (I wasn't expecting it to be, to be fair), it's just different in dungeon settings.  Essentially you need one or two damage mitigation skilled players, a kiter, a dpser and a condition remover/buffer/debuffer, (the last is the most essentially IMO), for a chance at success.  The problem is most people haven't really been sold this concept, they believe they can play the same way they do in DE's which leads to graveyard zerging solutions.  Also not all classes can fufil these roles so bringing the player isn't viable, I've already seen groups trying to recruit specific classes willinging to play a certain way.  That wasn't part of the manifesto but some encounters are much easier with a knowledgeable Mesmer/Necro.

-The leveling is awkward at times, it varies from being a breeze with lots of players to having to run around other areas in the same level bracket to keep up with the personal story or just get ahead.  While it's great that's there multiple zones to level, I'd rather keep that for an alt so I could have a different experience. The only time I've leveled within a zone to the zone cap was with a Norn Necro and that was doing two of the events twice and the group event four times, which isn't particularly dynamic.   The actually quests/events are really a reversal of the usual questing system.  Your still doing about the same 5-6 things just not speaking to anyone about the context of it.  A lot of them lack imagination or variety.

-For a game based around grouping it's probably the most antisocial game I've ever encountered.  Barely anyone in areas talk to each other, unless to ask for something and guilds seem to be made up of people who already know each in RL, so you feel a tad leftout.  This of course completely subjective I may just be unlucky, but for someone like me, (who has no friends who play online games so who makes friends ingame), this maybe the main reason why it won't be a long term stayer for me.

There are a couple of other niggles about the camera and the PVP feeling pointless, but yeah not sure long term if it's for me but I am enjoying it despite some faults :)

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I've logged over 250 hours since the game went live, still going strong. I'm cutting back the daily hours a little, but the addiction is still strong and I'm still having a lot of fun. I have an 80 Elementalist and a couple alts.

True to what they touted, scaling works pretty well. I can solo the Orr region if I'm careful, but I was defeated just this afternoon in na level 40 zone. I often join a friend who is in the 40s and the experience is about the same as when I was joining him with my Thief that was at the level of the content. Yes, I kill things very fast in the starter zones, but at least 80% of the level range is still challenging enough to keep things interesting.

With level scaling working as intended, I've continued to play my level 80 beyond the level cap, (200 bours with that character so far) and am having a blast. I didn't rush zone completion, I've just been enjoying the world in a wandering fashion and still haven't cracked 50% world completion. I'm still persuing my Exotic gear. I do still have that world completion and I still haven't touched much of WvW or sPvP, even though I've really enjoyed the limited time I have spent in both.

As a self acknowledged alt-a-holic, I'm pleasantly surprised that I've stuck with my level 80 and find myself wanting to play her over my alts when I log in. I know eventually I'll be ready to move onto another character, but I'm even more certain now than ever that this will be a game I'll be plahying for months or years. Who'd have thought it? A modern MMO you play for months or years, rather than days or weeks?

The game is not perfect in design and there have definitely been some annoying issues with Dynamic Events, etc... that need to be ironed out, but that hasn't mattered. What it does right it does really right and the over all experience is fun and, yes, addictive.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• EsLafielEsLafiel Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

I think I may take a break for a while.

I was happily trying to complete 100% exploration but ran into bugged skill points that stay bugged for days.  I also realized that I need to explore all four WvW maps even though three of them are identical.

WvWvW is OK but I'd need to improve my graphics card to enjoy it more.  I'm not a fan of the zerg thing anyway.

I've only run one instance and it was the level 30 story mode.  I didn't enjoy it at all.

I haven't tried sPVP yet.

Why didnt you like the dungeon you did? I have not done a dungeon yet myself.

It's likely a combination of many things.  Being in a pug with people around lvl 30 didn't help.  I'm sure if it was a more organized group things would have been better.  I was just expecting a fun intro level dungeon and not being in the downed state or LOS the boss as much as occurred.  I think the first dungeon experience should be enjoyable and not much of a challenge.

You should have done the lvl 40 dgn, I did it with 3 people(incuden me) It only have one real boss and that the very first thing you fight. Then a rm with 15 guys, later on. Only 2 slitly hard things. In it and it very short.

It should have been the first dgn, I mean it. It so freaking easy. Ac is a 100 times harder then it.

Plus the zerg is only one small part of it.(and even with that, you can take control of and turn it into a orginze unit, ive done it once and seen others done it)

Well there also the gaint Jp in EB where you can take control of and make a safe route for your server to get through. II did this yesterday with my group and got over 100 people through it. Before another server knock us out. Well each person gets 2+ siege weapons from it, so thats over 200 siege weapons.(among other stuff)

There also the small group, that goes around doing Event to get bonus and npc armies to are side.

Also can take flags in small groups and supply post.

Which I dont like zergs my self, which is why these are the things I do In WvW.