Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If the races were at war (with no other conflicts) who would win?

Comments

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

It would depend on the trigger of the war I suppose. If it was a matter of necessity where as many resources and land needed to be controlled to survive then I suppose the Asura would win. With control of the gates they would simply dominate the world. They could use any number of pathogens and devices to spread mayhem. The gates are weapons in and of themselves. Tuned correctly they explode with such force they would decimate there surroundings. 

However if it was a war of ideals, races would ally. So no one race would win or lose. 

The sylvari also have the immense advantage of knowing such a event is likely coming before it even happens. 

So my answer is, anyone and everyone could win.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    No one, because of gear normalization. 
  • 1vald21vald2 Member UncommonPosts: 75

Grudgingly I have to agree the asuras will win. Reason why: Technology + Magic = OP. While Charr have technology, the only reason why charrs won over humans was because of Titan Magic. So in the end, technology alone won't save the charrs. Sylvari will be a big threat to the asuras due to their possibly fast reproduction rate. But their is one BIG problem with sylvaris: Once the asuras developed a big enough techmagical weapon focused on destroying the PALETREE, then the Sylvaris are no more :)

I don't think I need to waste time explaining why the human race will never win...

But people really do understimate the norn (I don't see any other race having an elder dragon tooth in their city! :P). If we are talking about lore only, the norn are over 9 feet tall and can transform in to their bear/wolf/snow leopard/raven form, which makes them fearsome opponents.

Gotta count in that while charrs are the most warlike nation, the norn fight and find challenges even when they're little kids. And TBH, norns would never think about "war" like other races do but search for glory, and that includes being mercenaries. Asuras being very smart will probably hire them first before any other race does and through their Asura gates they will be able to transport armies anywhere unexpectedly.

Just my thought on this, really interesting thread :)

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by 1vald2

Grudgingly I have to agree the asuras will win. Reason why: Technology + Magic = OP. While Charr have technology, the only reason why charrs won over humans was because of Titan Magic. So in the end, technology alone won't save the charrs. Sylvari will be a big threat to the asuras due to their possibly fast reproduction rate. But their is one BIG problem with sylvaris: Once the asuras developed a big enough techmagical weapon focused on destroying the PALETREE, then the Sylvaris are no more :)

I don't think I need to waste time explaining why the human race will never win...

But people really do understimate the norn (I don't see any other race having an elder dragon tooth in their city! :P). If we are talking about lore only, the norn are over 9 feet tall and can transform in to their bear/wolf/snow leopard/raven form, which makes them fearsome opponents.

Gotta count in that while charrs are the most warlike nation, the norn fight and find challenges even when they're little kids. And TBH, norns would never think about "war" like other races do but search for glory, and that includes being mercenaries. Asuras being very smart will probably hire them first before any other race does and through their Asura gates they will be able to transport armies anywhere unexpectedly.

Just my thought on this, really interesting thread :)

I do believe people are over estimating the Asura gates usefulness if there was a full war between the races. You cant use the gates to transport armies anywhere unexpectedly since the gates have absolute places to start and end from. Lets say the humans choose to destroy the two gates in their city or they just choose to defend them. Not that hard to do since you know exactly where the gate is.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

Granted i don't know the lore very well.. but from gameplay i can't see why anyone but Asura would win.

They've got the best technology, can control the weather, not to mention a golem would mush a char into dust.

We can even teleport around willy nilly, and our city is floating in the air.. Plus we control all modes of transport, portals, waypoints, without us trade would slow down a great deal.

Granted a golem is probably not as agile as a live char, but that really doesn't matter when you consider that fur is easy to burn and they can spin spitting out fire in a 360.

Also i find it humorous when thinking of a norn fighting an asura, attacking that low must be really really inconvenient to norn.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

It depends on the type of war and the goal of the war and who is defending their homeland.

If the goal is total extermination of the opposing race, Asura might be able to create some nutso nuke.

If the Norn are defending, they can probably beat any offensive force. The Russians won by attrition in WWII, Norn could easily do the same. Extremely cold weather is terrible for electronics, so Asura would soon find they are not very effective against the immense Norn who would wipe the floor with them. The Char, being fairly large themselves, would probably starve before the Norn who know how to handle living and rationing in that environment. Humans might be able to adapt, but would eventually become demoralized at the lack of supply and excessive cold. Sylvari may or may not have a special connection to winter, but if we assume they prefer eternal spring, then they would not fare well in Winter.

If it is a war of innovation, then I'll tip my hat to humans. We are a creative and curious race, the Asura are too confident in what they already know to adapt at the rate humans do. Humans are also notorious survivors and guerilla fighters, short of total annihilation, a ground war with humans would get dragged out for ages. Perhaps long enough for the humans to devise a way to win.  Norn out of their home turf would surely suffer against the flexible humans, numbers and greater planning as opposed to brute strength win wars - see Sun Tzu. The Char would be the toughest customers at the Human's door, they have war machines to break down walls, and are very militaristically inclined. It would be a lengthy and bloody war. Slyvari would probably meet their end to some clever pesticide made from common materials (something the Asura wouldn't think of because they have a limited approach in problem solving technology = win).

The Sylvari would be the toughest to face in a battlefield scenario (not home city defense). They are so in tune with nature that they would be able to mask their plans and scout better than any race. Not to mention they could hide their numbers and come from any number of directions. Going against the Sylvari in the open world would be like Vietnam for their enemies.

While I think the Charr are exceptional soldiers, I don't think they have any singular strength which would place them above others in a category.

• DaggerjaydoDaggerjaydo Member UncommonPosts: 121

Quaggan.

Really though, going by lore it'd probably be the Norn... In EoTN a handful of norn were as effective as an army of humans and an army of dwarves.

Otherwise, I'd say Charr, since they're so good at genocide all ready.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by KingJiggly
    Originally posted by Meowhead
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

I think this debate is somewhat trivial because in ANY fantasy mmo settings and in ANY lore, humans will ALWAYS win if there was a race war.

It is ALWAYS because humans are the most populus, prolific and adaptable race in any game settings, even though they lack any special attributes.

And in terms of the games itself, look at how many players roll humans compare to any other race and you'll see that the numerical superiority is simply way too much versus any other race.

Yeah, except Arenanet turned that on its head and made humans the race who are on the decline.  D:

So did Tolkien... you know LORD OF THE F***EN RINGS. XD

Not only him, there are plenty of books where the human race is on decline.

But if we think from a more realistic viewpoint then the bad guy wins surprisingly often which never happens in books and movies (ok, almost never).

The whole decline point I think is also moot because even IF on the decline, there are more humans than ANY other races.

Decline means their political power is in decline, which is inconsequential. Numbers still wins the day in a war of extermination.

Just look at how many vendors and NPCs are humans, also how many Risens comes from humans as oppose to any other races.

Numerically, no chance.

You all seems to forget that most fantasy/science fiction is always going to be human-centric because, afterall, we ARE humans.

No decline does not mean just their political power. The game makes it pretty clear that humans have lost lots of land and since there is no over crowding in what land they have left, they lost tons of people over the last couple centuries.

In most stories, humans win becuase of something stupid like they believe or what not. In this case however, I doubt humans would win.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Asura for sure.

While I applaud your question and imagination, I would have to vote for the DEVELOPERS.  You see, they won the very moment they decided to cut and paste the races and classes so that you could take the RPG feel and toss it away, whilst fighting race/class combinations that are the same as your team's.  Anyway - it's a video game, not an mmoRPG (I have to keep reminding myself this so that I keep enjoying the game - I just wish it was on my PS3). 

Now (here's a dream), imagine if they made ONE server where you could have legitimate 3 faction pvp.  I guess that makes for another question:  what races would the realms have ... but then, we'd need 9 races, eh?

Dark Age of Camelot has 44 classes and 24 races spread across 3 realms.  Each realm has its own 1-50 world, it's own castles and territories and you can take a ship from your realm across the sea to the enemy.  Meh, sorry.  I'll shut up now.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by DMKano

There is no point in even discussing this - asura would win - superior technology and intelligence always prevails. It would be no contest.

It's the basic flaw of every alien invasion movie - any alien civilization that is advanced enough to travel to earth would be so far superior to us, there would be no contest period, we wouldnt know what hit us.

But we have the home court advantage against aliens.

We had the superior technology over the vietnamese but they sure did give us trouble. England was more Powerful than America in the war of independence but we used our knowlege of terrain and tactics to our advantage.

The Aliens have to worry about suply lines, The Aliens only have the amount of troops to fight that they can bring across the vast amounts of space.

The Aliens could just send a few dinasaur killer meteors at us, but we assume they want the planet somewhat intact, which is why we don't just go all nuclear on them as well.

If shit was going down, who do you think would do a first strike.  My guess is either Asura or Charr.  A lot of people seem to be put a lot of weight on the tech of the Asurans, but from what I've seen so far they are just as likely to kill themselves all off with some diabolical master plan.  

The Char are ready for war and are bred for it.  What does the lore say about the Char breeding?   If its anything like cats then an attrition battle goes to the Char.  

There is no point in even discussing this - asura would win - superior technology and intelligence always prevails. It would be no contest.

It's the basic flaw of every alien invasion movie - any alien civilization that is advanced enough to travel to earth would be so far superior to us, there would be no contest period, we wouldnt know what hit us.

Yet history says you are not correct.

Over confidence is usually a killer.

• BlahTeebBlahTeeb Member UncommonPosts: 624

Asura probably wouldn't fare so well. They will lack any sort of organization. Pretty much each and every asura will lead their own small armies of golem. They do not cooperate well and will not submit to leadership so easily.

The charr are reckless. They favor all this glory and courage that will kill them off slowly. We have seen how the charr are self destructive when it comes to war.

The humans have the most inner conflict. They have (from what we know) the most amount of betrayal and sabotage. They put too high a value in pride to dig out the dirt within them.

Sylvari lack any real experience in war. The dream does not tell every bit of knowledge, only some. With this, the sylvari will be more "confused" and "lost" then any of the other races.

Norn do not fight together. They, like the asura, would lack any real organization. Every norn would charge into battle to die a glorious death. Unfortunately for them, glorified deaths do not bring certain victory.

Those are the cons.

These are the pros.

Asura controls the gates and so, have the best form of communication. This would probably lead to having a greater amount of organization.

The charr have seen war, over and over. They know the cost of defeat and they understand. They know what to risk and what to keep.

Humans have the most pride and this could help. They are the only race to have been "shrunken" when compared to the other races. They know they are capable of ruling the lands, as they have before. They are on the brink of eminent death, and so, have the most will to survive and fight.

Sylvari, will gain experience in a far more superior way than everyone else. Each sylvari to be born will be just as efficient as the next. With time, the entire race will understand war.

Norn know sacrifice. Each norn is willing to die for glory. They do not want to die gloriously, they need to. In this, each norn already posses the spirit of an army. They fear death only if death is boring. However, is death means saving their race, each and every norn are born ready to compete with each other to be the savior of their race.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

What history? Did I miss an actual alien invasion that was averted due to alien arrogance?

You guys are funny.

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

Norm's don't fight wars as a group right? In GW they wouldn't mass up even for the devourers.

Charr beat the humans all ready to reclaim their lands.

Sylvari, just set fire to the forests. They know the least about war as well.

Asura are weak in body, so they aren't going to do the fighting, that's what they have golems for. They would close the gates.

In other words a massive army of robots that can teleport anywhere in the world. Heck the Asura would probably create the A-bomb.

No no...the flame legion(worshipers of the old gods of the charr) beat the humans. And they did so with a tool given to them by their gods. That tool is lost to the ages now.

Originally posted by Xasapis

What history? Did I miss an actual alien invasion that was averted due to alien arrogance?

You guys are funny.

The history comment was to his first that said more intelligent and technology always win. To say that is to ignore history. It was not about the alien comment.

• madjonNZmadjonNZ Member Posts: 143

The Charr would win, if they as a race were being targeted they would very likely stop clan fighting. Like the spartans the charr have only one reality - WAR!

The sylvari would be the first to be wiped out - and quite easily I think - as others have said, they would be burn't out of their habitat.

Its also possible the humans and Norn might ally together since they are very similar but they would still fall to the charr war machine.

The  Asura would have to develop a 'mass destruction' weapon to have any chance -  since thats too much of a golden bullet scenario - the asura would be second to be wiped out OR they might crawl back into the earth and flee there.

You guys are funny.

The history comment was to his first that said more intelligent and technology always win. To say that is to ignore history. It was not about the alien comment.

Yeah, just ask the Russians how that technological superiority worked out for them in Afghanistan.

• madjonNZmadjonNZ Member Posts: 143
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

You guys are funny.

Yeah, just ask the Russians how that technological superiority worked out for them in Afghanistan.

true, don't forget vietnam also.

on the alien scenario -  if they do turn up looking for trouble, all we need to do is upload a virus to....OH wait no, just upload windows vista with UAC turned on, to their computers  - that will slow them down...

Originally posted by madjonNZ
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

You guys are funny.

true, don't forget vietnam also.

on the alien scenario -  if they do turn up looking for trouble, all we need to do is upload a virus to....OH wait no, just upload windows vista with UAC turned on, to their computers  - that will slow them down...

or convince them to down load some free porn... not that I would know anything about that.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Yamota

Charr. They have the strongest most fanatical warriors and do not seem to be afraid to take losses. Can't see them being stopped by any single race, they would have to gang up on them.

Asura and Sylvari would go first as they are weak, followed by humans. Norn would last longest but in the end would succum to the Charr hordes.

Funny how both charr are seen as 'strong' yet are beset by infighting.

Asura 'weak'? Not by a long shot. I fear for the race that goes to war against these little guys tbh. They would end up nuking you just to see if you glow.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

I don't buy the Asura because they control the gates. The first thing that would happen in a large scale war is destruction of all gates in your lands.  

It would have to be the Charr. They have already won one war against the humans. They are best prepared out of all the races for another war.  

• kafka1984kafka1984 Member Posts: 83
    Charr =^.^=
    they have the fearsome military organization and all the legions may prove to be unstoppable on the battlefield.

Roll the Dice

Originally posted by dontadow

I don't buy the Asura because they control the gates. The first thing that would happen in a large scale war is destruction of all gates in your lands.  

It would have to be the Charr. They have already won one war against the humans. They are best prepared out of all the races for another war.  

That is true, but the Asura are cold and calculating and they would do a first strike using all of the portals at once.

• liva98989liva98989 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    I would say Humans, they got a great enviormental placement, and since sylvari and asura is just beside each other, they might  be attacking each other as the first thing, and the norn works like a barrier between humans and the charr (There are of course Ebonhawk, but it can surely hold out the charr like it always had.) So humans would properbly wait till the charr and the norn have beaten each other, and then I really just think they would build another huge wall, and defend. But charr are of course better in numbers compared to humans.