Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What has happened to the MMO community :(

CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923

Just a little Rant but seriously what has become of us, the MMO community, all i see here on this site and many others is whining, complaining, Bickering, Childishness and downright disrespect for people in general.

I am bringning this up because of all the hate there is towards one another and towards the companies that make the games that we play, i see people complaining about how stuff should be better in GW2 yet the game is free to play, what more do you people seriously want?? the Developers owe you guys nothing, why should they justify themselves for you? and the counltess other threads about how this will fail or how long till you think it will fail or whine, whine, whine.

Not that anyone would care but it is not the state of MMO's that is turning me of the Genre but the brat like childish people who are plaguing what was once a great place to enjoy a game and socialize.

I'm sure i will get flamed for this but then again it just proves my point right?

IMO i think alot of us need to pull our heads out of our asses and be greatful for what we get, Especially if it is Free.

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Free?  Last I checked GW2 cost around $59.99 to play.

Oh yes, and there's this cash shop which while not mandatory, seems to contain items that would be strongly desireable by the average player, such as extra bag space, an even has kick arse armor/weapons one might want to get for around $200.00 for the full set.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    Don't understand whats for free  image
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Not only GW2 is not free (has a rather hefty purchase price), they are pushing aggressively but subtly towards players buying gems with RL cash. I guess it was to be expected since gem purchases dropped 25% compared to previous week. GW2 is certainly an interesting case study on how to milk the ingame community with people not only not protesting, but on the contrary, defending such practices.
  • eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

Yes,what is free about it ?As already said GW 2 is buy to play and not even that,sooner or later you will have to buy from their shop if only to find out what it is in those Black Lion Chests which drop a lot but the drop rate for keys seems to be much lower.One thing is to enjoy the game and another to pretend that developers can't do nothing wrong and we should be grateful to them for allowing us to buy the product.Arena net and more important NCSOFT are only interested in making a profit and sooner or later you will see the ugly face of the cash shop.

• comrademariocomrademario Member Posts: 98

You made the mistake of saying GW2 is for free (it's far from free) but your point in general deserves to be looked at.

I honestly think that as the genre has grown the community has splintered and that we haven't realised that fully yet. I'll use the example of dance music. In the late 80s/early 90s it was just called dance music or rave. By the mid to late 90s it had become house, techno, jungle and trance, a few laters they all have separated to sub groups, new additions came in like dubstep and now there is literally hundreds of different hroupings. Where as past fans would have said they were into dance music they then became house fans or techno heads. After that people started saying they were into minimal house instead of house and so on with each serparate genre.

To put that into gaming terms people were once into MMORPGs because there were so few of them that by saying the blanket MMORPG term everyone understood the type of gaming you were into. Then it split into fantasy, sci-fi etc. Then it split  into the type of PvP you liked. Then it split into theme park vs sandbox. Then it split into P2P, B2P or F2P. Now it's splitting into variances of cash shops vs the remains of P2P. 

So we now have various different sub-genres of MMORPG players, each clashing heads with each other because they think their genre is the best and each given arguments like 'omgz you like fantasy theme parks....WoW fanboy!' in place of the music arguments of 'omgz you don't the drop you get in chillwave style dubstep!'

It's human nature to think you're 100% right all of the time and to shout at anyone who disagrees with you. Happens in sport, happens in music, happens in cinema to a lesser extent, but it certainly happens in gaming, and not just MMORPGs either, you even get involved in a Pro Evolution vs Fifa argument? It's probably the most tedious thing in the history of mankind.

As players we just need to start relaising that what you believe MMORPGs to be isn't a fact and isn't agreed upon by everyone. You may have hated the cut scene theme parkness of SWTOR, others may really like it. You may hate Cash Shops that sell anything other than vanity items, others may like that they can skip the grind with a few dollars.

We don't realise that though, we'll just keep shouting at each other, but that's okay, that's human nature.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Kyleran   an even has kick arse armor/weapons one might want to get for around $200.00 for the full set.

What armor/weapon set is sold in the cash shop? I only saw cosmetic stuff. Have they added something new?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by charlizd

Just a little Rant but seriously what has become of us, the MMO community, all i see here on this site and many others is whining, complaining, Bickering, Childishness and downright disrespect for people in general.

I am bringning this up because of all the hate there is towards one another and towards the companies that make the games that we play, i see people complaining about how stuff should be better in GW2 yet the game is free to play, what more do you people seriously want?? the Developers owe you guys nothing, why should they justify themselves for you? and the counltess other threads about how this will fail or how long till you think it will fail or whine, whine, whine.

Not that anyone would care but it is not the state of MMO's that is turning me of the Genre but the brat like childish people who are plaguing what was once a great place to enjoy a game and socialize.

I'm sure i will get flamed for this but then again it just proves my point right?

IMO i think alot of us need to pull our heads out of our asses and be greatful for what we get, Especially if it is Free.

So, you pretty much flame the whole community, and if ppl this community flames you back it's the community what's wrong, not the way you exposed your thoughts.

Also, and I know it has been pointed out already, but GW2 is not free, neither is virtually any "free" game out there, bar some very rare exceptions. It's companies running 99.99% of these games, not charities.

Finally, developers do owe us something from the very second we buy a game. Imagine you buy your new car and it works like crap becouse "it's a new model that has only been out for a month", they tell you it will have certain extras and then when you buy it, it doesn't, or they just change the engine at any given time without asking you first. Wouldn't you get mad? Then, why are you accepting all this when buying a game?

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

I find it amusing when people say everyone is going to have to spend cash on gems for whatever reason. Weapons, armour, keys for chests, really?

Chests drop shit, I've seen what's in them from the few keys I've gotten in game. Never gonna pay for keys. Weapons and armour? None on the gem store that I can see so unless you can provide evidence that one's BS.

Bag space? Craft bigger bags, use slavage kits, deposit collectables. Job done. Who needs more bags? Nobody.

The truth is nobody is forcing anyone to buy gems.

As for the what happened to the MMO community, well it got bigger. There were fewer arseholes around before because there were fewer people playing MMO's. Now we have more poeple so even with the same proportion of assholes to decent folks, we still got more assholes.

Add to that a younger age range of players who grew up on consoles and we get a less patient audience, who want their console experience in their MMO. The "gimme now" crowd.

And of course don't forget the luxury of anonymity afforded by posting on forums like this also contributes to the general "arseholiness" of posts.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    The subject is not about GW2 specifically everyone, please look deeper.

OP is referring to fans of MMOs and the general sentiment of players. It's not just on this site and not tied to a specific game or subject but there is a lot of negative and downright rude attitudes from the MMO community. I've dubbed it Perpetual Negatism because no matter the subject something is always wrong or will be in the future.

"I can feel and post whatever I want", of course you can and more power to you. However, have you ever included in your list of rants that the "community" in games is not like it used to be? That people don't talk to each other anymore? Why would they when all they expect is people complaining? Now it's true that there are things worth getting excited about and voicing your opinion can force that change. Maybe more people would join in that fight if the general negativity wasn't there. When the important stuff is what's focused on.

I, like a lot of you it seems, are awaiting a more community sandboxy type game to hit the mainstream. Before one hits the shelves I think we need to ask ourselves how we would fit that community.
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 543

An half-offtopic.

I use to post at webhostingtalk writing about my host and my own experience with it. I see other people posting. Most of content used to be "this host is bad", "avoid that host", "host ABC is a scam" and alike. While some hosts were really bad, avoidable and some even scammed users - most problems were due to user. One teenager did not eait 24-72 hours for domain name to propagate - hence bad review ending with "oops, my bad".

What I do is very simple: I do write there every month and tell what I have experienced, be it good or bad. One time I did mess things: some scripts caused bad things and I wrote in a hurry - "ABC host is not that good". Host reacted quickly and politely quoting how many scripts (several hundred) I had on my own site...

Now to topic:

as one proverb says, unsatisfied customer will tell to 100 persons, satisfied - to 10.  People mostly like to post about negative things. People (mostly) like to complain and be prophets: either new MMORPG would kill others or fail and sometimes discussions are about "fail" or "epic fail".

I do not state that everyone does so, but it seems most people do. So, the problem is not mmorpgs, but players who await "killer of [enter title]" or claim anything "fail / epic fail". People just need to be more positive.

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by jmcdermottuk
    I find it amusing when people say everyone is going to have to spend cash on gems for whatever reason. Weapons, armour, keys for chests, really?Chests drop shit, I've seen what's in them from the few keys I've gotten in game. Never gonna pay for keys. Weapons and armour? None on the gem store that I can see so unless you can provide evidence that one's BS.Bag space? Craft bigger bags, use slavage kits, deposit collectables. Job done. Who needs more bags? Nobody.The truth is nobody is forcing anyone to buy gems.

Already they started to nerf things,add diminishing returns etc .Let see how things will go in the future ,i doubt they will stop with this and when the choice will be between their shop and grinding for days or weeks most people will use the shop .Also while there is no armor in gem shop ,since you can sell gems for gold which you can use to buy armor is the same.What you said it would have been true if there was no way to sell gems(bought from arena net/ncsoft ) for gold but as it is ncsoft profits directly from the increase of grind in game.I don't have problems with their shop but with how they start to nerf the game to push people towards it.Good thing p2p games are still around if arena net goes the way of diablo3.

• comrademariocomrademario Member Posts: 98
    Can we not talk about GW2 please?
  • UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

So this is really another "i like GW2 so everyone else should" right? Your title hints at a genuwine concern for the mmo community but it's really a stealth thread about GW2.

Again ill ask the question that has been asked a few times in your thread: which part of GW2 is free?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Free?  Last I checked GW2 cost around $59.99 to play.

Oh yes, and there's this cash shop which while not mandatory, seems to contain items that would be strongly desireable by the average player, such as extra bag space, an even has kick arse armor/weapons one might want to get for around $200.00 for the full set.

Why would anyone pay for that? Extra bank space cost me just over 2 golds in game currency and bag slots is cheaper.

That is like paying to not play, any item you didnt work for have little meaning anyways.

OP is right, people have become whiny but it is not just MMO fans but people everywhere on the net. I blame Facebook and Twitter, they are learning people to make a big deal out of small things.

And maybe Jerry Springer, a lot of people seems to been taken etiquette lessions from him and his show.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Nothing wrong with the community.  This is very remincent of the edition wars in tabletop gaming.  You have two destinct modes of play.  That's what is being debated.  

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    I blame all the fps dbags that have moved over to mmos over the years. That kind of gamer (fps dbag) is just the scum of the gaming community.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by eldaris

Originally posted by jmcdermottuk
    I find it amusing when people say everyone is going to have to spend cash on gems for whatever reason. Weapons, armour, keys for chests, really?

Chests drop shit, I've seen what's in them from the few keys I've gotten in game. Never gonna pay for keys. Weapons and armour? None on the gem store that I can see so unless you can provide evidence that one's BS.

Bag space? Craft bigger bags, use slavage kits, deposit collectables. Job done. Who needs more bags? Nobody.

The truth is nobody is forcing anyone to buy gems.

Already they started to nerf things,add diminishing returns etc .Let see how things will go in the future ,i doubt they will stop with this and when the choice will be between their shop and grinding for days or weeks most people will use the shop .Also while there is no armor in gem shop ,since you can sell gems for gold which you can use to buy armor is the same.What you said it would have been true if there was no way to sell gems(bought from arena net/ncsoft ) for gold but as it is ncsoft profits directly from the increase of grind in game.I don't have problems with their shop but with how they start to nerf the game to push people towards it.Good thing p2p games are still around if arena net goes the way of diablo3.

i see you never played gw1

they never added p2w items to cash shop

and theres nothing p2w in gw2

they balanced dungeons not nerfed it

before you could get 1g every 10 mins

after anet fixed it we saw all these ppl rage on forum

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    I don't understand how people mix up b2p and f2p, I've heard it and seen it several times the last weeks. Someone please explain this to me...
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

This is the same exact community there has always been.  Humans complain.  It's what life is about.  Imperfection.  Complaining.  Laughing about it.  More complaining.  Yet more imperfection.  

One day when we are all sitting around in Heaven together someone is going to pipe up, "I miss the imperfections!"  

And the complaining will start all over again.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Self entitled casuals and children happend. 

Let me clarify. There is nothing wrong with casual players, my guild hosts a few. There is nothing wrong with the younger audience we were all there. Its the ones that demands MMO's be dumbed down so much that content is a joke to get through. Things have become so easy you could probably play the game one handed and do just fine. 

Games don't require any sort of thought process anymore. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Vunak23

Self entitled casuals and children happend. 

Let me clarify. There is nothing wrong with casual players, my guild hosts a few. There is nothing wrong with the younger audience we were all there. Its the ones that demands MMO's be dumbed down so much that content is a joke to get through. Things have become so easy you could probably play the game one handed and do just fine. 

Games don't require any sort of thought process anymore. 

I agree with you to an extent, but you forgot the part about us Self entitled casuals far and away out numbering the non causal gamers.  Oh and our Self entitled casual dollars spend just the same as the non causal dollars...but there is just more of our (self entitled casual gamer) dollars then theirs ( non causal gamers). Game companys are a buisness and as businesses go, it hardly makes sense to go after the smaller slice of the pie.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Well fanboys and Haters have existed since the dawn of time, though yes, they are more rampant.

I'm curious if your considering general critism as 'whining' though. In terms of that, I feel its a good thing people are pointing out game flaws rather then boasting bloated facts that have little value behind them. 

Now that being said, the MMO community does seem a bit more... well... immature of sorts. I think its just the mentality that built up as we get more things handed to us, we feel the need to be more cynical and evil with each other. League of Legends (not an MMO but a good example) really pushes this personally on myself as I find myself to rage and be just generally... evil... towards other people. I think the issue with that type of a game and many others is we found time to be hyper-competative and it just ends up making us more nasty since theres nothing to really disatract us.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    It's not just MMO's it's everything. I mean in a world where they advertise 5 hour energy drinks by telling you that "coffee is too hard to make" what chance do we have? If coffee is too hard for you then please just go lay down in the highway.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

ENTITLEMENT

Same thing that is happening in the world today,

"GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE, gimmie some more. GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMME. Dont ask what for."

The more that is "given" to a group, the more they will expect.

(+2 if you know the quote)

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts
    It's not just MMO's it's everything. I mean in a world where they advertise 5 hour energy drinks by telling you that "coffee is too hard to make" what chance do we have? If coffee is too hard for you then please just go lay down in the highway.

Yo, Truth, get up and make me a cup of coffee, will ya?