Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If Diablo 3 is considered an mmorpg, Borderlands 2 should be on here

skamperskamper Member UncommonPosts: 252
Or both should not because they are both not mmorpgs and it does not make sense why Diablo 3 would be on here

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Diablo is not an mmorpg, by any stretch of the definition.

End of story.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by skamper
    Or both should not because they are both not mmorpgs and it does not make sense why Diablo 3 would be on here

I agree , seems they are catering to Blizzard , because Blizzard games sell , however we should have  borderlands 2 on here because it has leveling , RPG elements and a open world.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by Xasapis

End of story.

Thats not what he was trying to say , he was getting at the fact that Diablo is on a MMORPG website and why not borderlands?  is what he is trying to say LOL

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Diablo 3 is lot more popular than Borderland. So they list games accordance to general interest of gamers.
  • nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Diablo 3 is lot more popular than Borderland. So they list games accordance to general interest of gamers.

That is false, because:

a) MMORPG.com lists games which are very unpopular, but fall into the genre

b) Call of Duty has leveling and is extremely popular, yet isn't on here.

So again, false.

Also, my opinion is that Diablo 3 does not belong on this site (although, in contrast to most people, I actually like the game).

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

No one has ever claimed that Diablo 3 is a MMORPG. Not even MMORPG.com. It is here because a lot of players are interested in games like Diablo 3 as well. They are merely serving the interests of the community.

They have given MMO-oriented players a place to discuss about Diablo 3. It does not make it an MMO.

So please, cut with the "it doesn't belong here" talk.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Originally posted by nsignific

That is false, because:

a) MMORPG.com lists games which are very unpopular, but fall into the genre

b) Call of Duty has leveling and is extremely popular, yet isn't on here.

So again, false.

Also, my opinion is that Diablo 3 does not belong on this site (although, in contrast to most people, I actually like the game).

Is call of duty an RPG? this website lists games like Diablo because it is closer to MMORPG genre. And yes Diablo is immensily popular and even people who work at this website are huge fans of it.

• LethalJaxxLethalJaxx Member Posts: 105

Popularity should not be the deciding factor in which games should be promoted. This site should only list MMO's. The only reason Diablo 3 is listed here is to get more hits, and as such, more ad revenue. They get away with it, because a lot of people see Diablo as the origin of online RPGs, and with that, MMORPGs.

Originally posted by LethalJaxx

Popularity should not be the deciding factor in which games should be promoted. This site should only list MMO's. The only reason Diablo 3 is listed here is to get more hits, and as such, more ad revenue. They get away with it, because a lot of people see Diablo as the origin of online RPGs, and with that, MMORPGs.

Purist.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

If it is not a MMO, then what is it doing on the MMO list? Saying it is not a MMO and then telling people to stop talking about it is a bit rich.

If this was done for the community then D3 should be put in its own catergory. We have a General Gaming forum, we could have a a similar section on the game list. I think there was some call for a DA forum once, llikewise that would be fine in its own catergory.

They have been listing a lot of RPG's for a long time now. I have been lurking on this website for years now and i have seen them listing games which do not fall strictly into MMO genre but are still closer to it in terms of role playing. And yes popularity factor does count.

This site is mainly for those who love MMOS so it is just natural to have interested in other role playing games.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by LethalJaxx Originally posted by halflife25 Diablo 3 is lot more popular than Borderland. So they list games accordance to general interest of gamers.
    They have been listing a lot of RPG's for a long time now. I have been lurking on this website for years now and i have seen them listing games which do not fall strictly into MMO genre but are still closer to it in terms of role playing. And yes popularity factor does count.

This site is mainly for those who love MMOS so it is just natural to have interested in other role playing games.

I think that's it. If Borderlands 2 was of general or popular interest to MMORPG players, then it would be listed on this site. D3 was (still is?) of interest to MMORPG players, so it was listed on this site.

I declare halflife25 the winner. Here is your internet bacons, sir.

/internetbacons

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by Scot

If it is not a MMO, then what is it doing on the MMO list? Saying it is not a MMO and then telling people to stop talking about it is a bit rich.

If this was done for the community then D3 should be put in its own catergory. We have a General Gaming forum, we could have a a similar section on the game list. I think there was some call for a DA forum once, llikewise that would be fine in its own catergory.

They are titled "Game Forums" not "MMORPG Forums".

• skamperskamper Member UncommonPosts: 252

So you agree with my title!

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228
    Originally posted by skamper

diablo do give allot of visits so is normal to be in here

BestSigEver :P

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

I think Borderlands 2 will satisfy a much needed itch I have for SP FPSes and loot pinatas.

By all means, lets talk about it.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Diablo 3

Dungeon Runners

why not -  bring on Borderlands 2

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Lobbying from people waiting for the game got it in here. If enough people want BL2 in they will add a forum for it as well.

While it isnt technically a MMORPG (in fact I wouldnt class it as either MMO or RPG myself) there is not really noo reason to discuss close games here as well as long as many enough want to.

If it would be my forum neither game would be in but it isnt, and frankly do not a few online action games destroy the forum or anything.

But exception should be made one at a time, or every game with an online mode will be here.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    If Dust 514 is on here why isn't MAG as well since its the same engine and mod with larger scale PvP aka more MM on the MMO

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

We have a Comics tab which has MMO comics in it, there are countless comics out there but we only have MMO comics. ((At least I think so, to be honest not even sure what some of those comics are about, but the only ones I can make sense of are about MMO’s :) ))

So the Game List should be for MMO games. With a separate tab for Other Games. Alternatively put them in a different section of the Games List.

This is just good website housekeeping to my mind, put the games into the right box so players find them quickly and know what sort of game it is. In fact there is a site suggestion for you!

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Putting Diablo 3 on here was put to a vote and the community voted for it. I voted against it but here we are. Maybe you can get the mods to get the community to vote and see if they want Borderlands 2 added?
  • TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Oh so a community that arguably already has no clue what an MMO is in the first place now votes on what is and is not... BRILLIANT!

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Being an MMOrpg is a pretty difficult mold to fit. Truthfully, we can take more games then just diablo 3 and cut them from the list. The list will be 'massively' (haha funny joke) shorter as we remove games out. Is a massive player lobby and fully instanced dungeons not enough? Well there goes games like vindictus from the list. Should channels could against this? Then there goes a lot more games.

I think the best way to define an MMO is...

1.) Are players able to interact and play with each other easily?

2.) Are characters hosted online on some large server together?

Really those points there are all I think should be needed to define a general MMo. Games like CoD with their prestige system to some extend do fit this, but much of the levels are for glamour and interaction is far more limited. From an RPG standerd (MMORPG afte rall) I think it would just need to fixate on if RPG elements are involved in the game in depth enough to be considered one, and even that can be subjective.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by Xasapis

End of story.

• zimikezimike Member UncommonPosts: 160
    The only reason Diablo III made it to mmorpg, was the  revenue the traffic would generate.