Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

anyone else got hacked?

GaoxinGaoxin Member UncommonPosts: 198

My Goooold, my precious geeeeems.... :|

Now my char was transfered to some US server where she is farming gold all day long and Areanet or NCsoft support is completely overstrained, since alot of accs got hacked.

When Im lucky I'll get some automated bot msg in a few weeks, which will tell me that they need more information and I really really should write everything between those 2 lines...bleh

Comments

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    I still dont understand how accounts are being hacked? Do you people play from internet clubs/coffees? Or you have a horde of troyans and never clean your PCs? I play MMOs many years and never suffered from that. This make me think somehow its your fault...
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by mazut
    I still dont understand how accounts are being hacked? Do you people play from internet clubs/coffees? Or you have a horde of troyans and never clean your PCs? I play MMOs many years and never suffered from that. This make me think somehow its your fault...

I've gotten hacked once, but this was a couple years ago in WoW.  I always thought my PC was pretty secured, and i never thought it would happen to me, but eventually it did.  Account Security will never be 100% secured.  Databases get hacked everyday.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by mazut

In some cases. IIn others it is because NC softs policy to use Email adress as username and always using the same password. In some cases it might just be bad luck.

But there are plenty of lists with mail adresses and passwords from sites on the net (including this site who got hacked a few years back).

Lets not blame the victims, but there is a lot of things you can do to minimize the risks. Always use a unique password. Never login on any webbpage or mail your account information to anyone. If possible use Pop3 E-mail. A unique Email just far games is smart as well.

OP: Noone in my guild got hacked, the worst thing we seen so far is a armor I mailed to a buddy that got lost on the way.

• GaoxinGaoxin Member UncommonPosts: 198
    router, firewall, antivirus and a clean pc. this is the first time something like that happens to me and I played pretty much every big mmorpg. so no, I dont think its my fault. I also think, that if several thousand accounts being hacked at almost the same time. It could verry well have something to do with Areanet or NCsoft. It could of course also be that everything is a huge misunderstanding, because I got drunk and spamed my acc details in allchat.
  • SlytheSlythe Member UncommonPosts: 952

I got an email from them saying that someone tried to log in with my username/password from

City: Yichang
    Region: 12

And they wanted me to verify that login. Of course, that wasn't me, and someone actually figured out my password (which was 9 characters long, with 3 numbers..and it was NOT an easy passsword to break, trust me.)

So I ALMOST got hacked, I think. I bnever went to any gold buying site or anything too, it's pretty crazy!

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974
    Dont use external GW2 websites, they have the creepy crawlies!
    No, no, I'm not blaming anyone, I'm just wondering why so many are hacked?!
  • tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

You don't get hacked, I mean hacking actually takes some skill.

You hand over your details, they log in and change your password. So many people fall for them emails it's really funny and so many people use the same email address and password on other things that they just try it over several games and get lucky.

guess what... unique password, never clicked a "ZOMG VALIDATE UR ACC OR ELSE FUNNY STUFF WILL HAPPEN!!1" link
  • ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Originally posted by tixylix

You don't get hacked, I mean hacking actually takes some skill.

You hand over your details, they log in and change your password. So many people fall for them emails it's really funny and so many people use the same email address and password on other things that they just try it over several games and get lucky.

Yeah I wish people would learn what hacked actually means.

It would make our world significantly better, thats for sure.

News Flash!

Got my account back!

1. Not a single item was restored.

2. All Chars are still on some US server. (My chars were transfered from GER to US)

3. I had 40G, 3 weeks ago b4 I got hacked, now I have: 1G!

4. All my gems that I exchanged for gold are gone too. Lost: ~4800 gems, thats around 60 euros.

5. All my twinks are completly naked.

6 different ppl handled my case. _each_ reply was from a different GM. They even sent me an email last week, wich told that my account is restored and blah, but it wasnt. My account was still in use by Mr Hacker guy. Over the last 3 weeks they didn't even bother to lock my account. My char was online the whole time 24/7 farming.

Today I got my account back. And you know what? I played for about 2 and a half weeks. The hacker played for more than 3 weeks. THAT is guild wars 2 support for you.

When I loged in, I was in the middle of a bot storm. Around 20 of them were cycling around me. The bot problem is actually pretty big in GW2. I even had over 5 bots on my friend list. -.-

They have no pattern recognition. (IP check, region, online behaviour, etc) Which could save a lot of ppl. They need a shitload of information, and on top of that you have to wait weeks or days between replies.

But the best thing is: They won't restory a single thing. Items, Gold, Mats, Gems which were worth 60 euros. Nothing.

This is the 2nd time someone hacked my account. Last time was 2 years ago in wow and I got all my stuff back within 2 days. I talked to a lot of my friends and apparently, its pretty common to restore accounts. WoW, Aion. Age of Conan, Rift and so on. They do restore your accounts. Heck, FUNCOM! We are talking about fucking funcom. Even those guys do such things. But not guild wars 2.

Im so fucking disappointed, because Anet was one of my holy pillars of gaming industry.

Anet for GW1. now dead.

Blizzard for WC3/SC/Diablo.

Bioware for several rpgs. dead since DA2 and ME3.

Valve for HL and Dota2.

I bought 2 copies(from their site) and the charr toy. I supported Anet with around ~140 euro? +promotion (5 of my friends bought GW2).

And thats what I get back.

I know that most of you don't care, and even more think that I used some shitty PW and deserved all this, but w/e .. just needed to write something.

have a nice day

Good for you, at least you got the account which is the most important. About the items, they said they dont have the tools to restore anything.

Change your pass and all security and you will hve items in less then a week ;)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Gaoxin

News Flash!

Got my account back!

2. All Chars are still on some US server. (My chars were transfered from GER to US)

4. All my gems that I exchanged for gold are gone too. Lost: ~4800 gems, thats around 60 euros.

6 different ppl handled my case. _each_ reply was from a different GM. They even sent me an email last week, wich told that my account is restored and blah, but it wasnt. My account was still in use by Mr Hacker guy. Over the last 3 weeks they didn't even bother to lock my account. My char was online the whole time 24/7 farming.

Today I got my account back. And you know what? I played for about 2 and a half weeks. The hacker played for more than 3 weeks. THAT is guild wars 2 support for you.

When I loged in, I was in the middle of a bot storm. Around 20 of them were cycling around me. The bot problem is actually pretty big in GW2. I even had over 5 bots on my friend list. -.-

They have no pattern recognition. (IP check, region, online behaviour, etc) Which could save a lot of ppl. They need a shitload of information, and on top of that you have to wait weeks or days between replies.

But the best thing is: They won't restory a single thing. Items, Gold, Mats, Gems which were worth 60 euros. Nothing.

This is the 2nd time someone hacked my account. Last time was 2 years ago in wow and I got all my stuff back within 2 days. I talked to a lot of my friends and apparently, its pretty common to restore accounts. WoW, Aion. Age of Conan, Rift and so on. They do restore your accounts. Heck, FUNCOM! We are talking about fucking funcom. Even those guys do such things. But not guild wars 2.

Im so fucking disappointed, because Anet was one of my holy pillars of gaming industry.

Anet for GW1. now dead.

Valve for HL and Dota2.

I bought 2 copies(from their site) and the charr toy. I supported Anet with around ~140 euro? +promotion (5 of my friends bought GW2).

I know that most of you don't care, and even more think that I used some shitty PW and deserved all this, but w/e .. just needed to write something.

have a nice day

Actually, most of us believe that somehow, someway it's your fault. Unless proof comes out that ANET account servers were compromised, your issue is caused by someone figuring out your password (or stealing it from another site where you used it previously) and stole your account.

But you certainly aren't alone in your experience, and I do think I read somewhere that ANET is working on creating the tools to allow customer service to restore customers items, gold and stuff. (It is surprising they didn't do so from launch)

As for your level of customer support, the title is B2P, and one are that will suffer from not having steady income from subs is customer service.  They are going to be very reluctant to overstaff this area as it's one of the highest operating costs for an MMORPG post launch.

Eventually the number of support requests will get more in line with the available staff and you should get quicker responses.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I'm sorry for your loss and i agree its frustrating / infuriating that theres no support for restores

its something ANET has said they will have in the future

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/account/CHARACTERS-DELETED

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

News Flash!

Got my account back!

Anet for GW1. now dead.

Valve for HL and Dota2.

have a nice day

Anyone else having a problem with the highlighted part. The game was 2 weeks old max at that time. I feel there is more to this story than being told.

Originally posted by Connmacart

Anyone else having a problem with the highlighted part. The game was 2 weeks old max at that time. I feel there is more to this story than being told.

Op said they exchanged gems for gold -- sounds believable to me,  RL cash buys gems

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Kyleran

News Flash!

Got my account back!

Anet for GW1. now dead.

Valve for HL and Dota2.

have a nice day

Actually, most of us believe that somehow, someway it's your fault. Unless proof comes out that ANET account servers were compromised, your issue is caused by someone figuring out your password (or stealing it from another site where you used it previously) and stole your account.

But you certainly aren't alone in your experience, and I do think I read somewhere that ANET is working on creating the tools to allow customer service to restore customers items, gold and stuff. (It is surprising they didn't do so from launch)

As for your level of customer support, the title is B2P, and one are that will suffer from not having steady income from subs is customer service.  They are going to be very reluctant to overstaff this area as it's one of the highest operating costs for an MMORPG post launch.

Eventually the number of support requests will get more in line with the available staff and you should get quicker responses.

Lets not blame the victim here. Yes, most of the players who got hacked have themselves to blame but not all. Keyloggers do exist and some antiviruses just plain suck and can miss them. 

It sucks that the gold and gem is gone, but ANET should really move back the characters or restore them as minumum. Gold and gear is one thing, B2P do have some limits because Blizzard rakes in more money and can afford to have plenty of people working just for this but characters is a very different and personal thing.

ANET needs to become better with this if they plan to compete with Blizzard on equal terms.

Sorry OP, I feel for you. It is a great game and anyone can get hacked even if you can minimize the risk.

• XtenXten Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by Connmacart

News Flash!

Got my account back!

Anet for GW1. now dead.

Valve for HL and Dota2.

have a nice day

A bit yes.

40G in the first 2 week, without a working TP.

Twinks ,how do you twink in gw2? Or if it means decked out 80's how many can you make in 2 weeks all maxed out.

But overal people do get hacked. The idea of it being the Anet database that has been hacked is very doubtfull. If that has happened they usuually send out e-mails to everyone change your PW as it would make for a bigger mess for them if they tried to be all hush hush about it.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

the point isnt if the fault about a hacked acc is Anet's or the owner's. the point is what Anet do after that.

they do nothing. they have ZERO support. they cant give you anything back and this really SUCKS!

ANET should have never resumed sales until they were ready for account restores

in the first week, ANET stopped direct sales due to popularity and they also had 8500 support tickets for hacked accounts which they admitted they were understaffed to handle but were hiring more staff

Sept 2:  game update - announcement of hiring 28 more support staff

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/index.php?title=Game_status_updates&oldid=335373

restores being important to ANET from Sept  08

New account recovery system available for hacked GW2 players

ANET stopped direct sales on Aug 31

ANET resumed direct sales on Sept 13

its been almost a month and no further update about the availability of account restores

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

Not been hacked by now, but i get the usual 3-4 authentication-mails from china, taiwan, india, etc....it is truly fearsome how many hackers there are

Hodor!

Originally posted by gwei1984

Not been hacked by now, but i get the usual 3-4 authentication-mails from china, taiwan, india, etc....it is truly fearsome how many hackers there are

i hope you change your password when you see those attempts

the authentication email is a last line of defense that they have tried to login w your id and password

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Better change that login/password combination then and consider it compromised. Whose fault it was that got compromised is not really relevant.

Companies are equally prone to account loss as players are. After Sony, Steam and other big companies got hacked, it should be of no surprise that passwords find their way into hackers databases. People who think that only other people get hacked and it is entirely their mistake, are just ignorant themselves on how vulnerable they really are.

This discussion has been closed.