Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll] What was the Best Expansion?

GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
There was a recent article about this topic, and it seemed everyone in the comments just told everyone how they rated them, so I figured why not just have a poll for it :)

Comments

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Vanilla?

Seriously though I picked WotLK only because in implemented my favorite MMO class type in Death Knight, other then that it was pretty meh.

Nothing will ever beat Vanilla though, it had the best PvP, the best gear model (when purples actually meant something) and the best social experiences.  I remember fondly running Dire Maul for close to 24 hours straight with my guild trying to figure ou the fights.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Vanilla was my favorite time.  BC was the best expansion.
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Technically, Cata was the best expansion because each expansion has only improved the game in general.

However, I think I had the most fun in Vanilla.  I realize it was mostly because of nostalgia (we keep on searching for that wonderful bliss each new mmo release). 

TBC was a close second, and also the last time I consistently raided.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by TheHavok

Technically, Cata was the best expansion because each expansion has only improved the game in general.

However, I think I had the most fun in Vanilla.  I realize it was mostly because of nostalgia (we keep on searching for that wonderful bliss each new mmo release). 

TBC was a close second, and also the last time I consistently raided.

Yeah, that's how I feel pretty much.  I didn't raid that much in wotlk or cata, just enough to get my gear.  In TBC, I raided twice a week until wotlk was announced.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

My best time with WoW was during the original game. It was incredible. I kept trying to find a game which would give me the same excitement as the original game but none has ever come close so I just gave up!

The Burning Crusade was the best expansion for me. Wotlk was boring, Cata was slightly better.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417
    My opinion (and vote) is pretty much in line with everyone here so far. I had the most fun in Vanilla. The best expansion was BC, but the other two were not that great so the bar to be "good" is pretty low.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

Loved vanilla, had fun in TBC.

Tolerated WOTLK

Loathed everything in Cata

Quit with announcement of MOP

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Wotlk for me.  It introduced flying mounts, DKs, phasing, vehicles, LFD tool, achievements (i think), and the Lich King storyline.  Heroics were too easy though, and CC faded away.  This expansion truly felt like an expansion, compared to Cata.

I wasn't into BC at all.  I didn't like the NPCs or mobs, or the stories, or the zones. 

• macrowowmacrowow Member Posts: 26

Vanilla: not an expansion unless you count AQ and that was just a raid

BC: Very cool and epic feeling

Wrath: Better graphics and quests

Cata: Still haven't experienced the new content

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Perhaps the title should be best "version"? Nitipicking, I know.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    If you are talking WOW it was best at release before BGs killed it and started the chain!
  • nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486
    Originally posted by observer

Wotlk for me.  It introduced flying mounts, DKs, phasing, vehicles, LFD tool, achievements (i think), and the Lich King storyline.  Heroics were too easy though, and CC faded away.  This expansion truly felt like an expansion, compared to Cata.

I wasn't into BC at all.  I didn't like the NPCs or mobs, or the stories, or the zones. 

Flying mounts were actually introduced in The Burning Crusade.

• sjake1473sjake1473 Member Posts: 5
    Vanilla before bg's was the funnest for me also.Worrying about being ganked,world pvp and quest groups that were easy to find was the most exciting.If it was back to that point i would still play from time to time.
  • WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269
    Vanilla before and even after bgs was the best for me.  Seems like madness but I have fond memories of grinding rank, only got to rank 11, commander I think, but I helped a friend get grand marshall...it was crazy.  Burning Crusade was definitely the best expansion.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    The raiding in BC was top notch. I'm not sure if / why raiding in the other expansions didn't stack up (It could just be my own perception).
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    BC was fantastic.
  • ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

Vanilla defeinitely for me.

I played more or less everything on the market since 2004 or so but nothing came close to my Vanilla WoW experience.

I simply loved it ,in the true sense of the word.

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220
    I have to say I was really disappointed in the column by MMORPG which ranked WOTLK as best version.  I have talked about this with lots of people and it seems results about what this poll shows, BC by far what most people think is the best expansion(right now twice as many votes and WOTLK) and Vanilla Wow right up with BC for best overall version.  I would say about 20% like WOTLK best and pretty much noone likes Cata.  I was honestly shocked MMORPG would put WOTLK as best version.  If it was worded most influencial version from a business standpoint then sure cause I think subs really started to hit those unreal numbers with WOTLK.  That however does not make it the best and clearly by this poll my opinions are shared by the majority.