Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What happened to this ArenaNet?

Comments

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Originally posted by Magnnarot

All in all, they did deliver on MOST of what they promised, the biggest flaw on release being the lack of the 30 or so minigames promised, but they have already stated that they are going to release them at some point (even the npcs are already in place for them). What we got for 60 dollars and no sub fee is a really extensive game, bigger than anything since wow vanilla released that will last for years to come.

minigames & guesting feature which were promised, only to be delayed at launch. 

Still a great game. Just not as perfect as the fanboys hyped it up to be.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by LuciferIAm
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

Not mad at all, I just don't like the spread of misinformation and perpetuation of ignorance. Let alone spouting this misinformation without actually doing any research.

...you seem to be showing quite a bit of Ignorance yourself. Its fine to disagree, but the way you put it your giving a fanboy response where your shutting down what they said without real content to back it up and then ushering a 'go back to XXX' comment. Of course your going to get a response back when you claim ignorance when you can be called just as ignorant, if not, more so just by the tone you use.

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    Don't forget the Manifesto video's blatant lies: "You affect things around you in a very permanent way"  Which events had permanent effects again?  Which towns "stay saved"?

I think you misunderstand. Look at this retrospect...in MMO's past you had an NPC with an exclamation point over his head and a town on fire behind him. He asks you to save the town...so you go kill a few mobs throw water on a fire that doesn't seem to put it out and then run back to the NPC. He thanks you and tells you that you've saved the town. As you walk away and go toward the next NPC with a shiny marker you look over your shoulder to notice the town still on fire and in need of saving.

In GW2...an NPC with no marker on his head runs up to you and grabs your attention. He tells you that centaurs are raiding his trading post and that he needs a hero to save him and his goods. You run over to see centaurs lined up on the hill that then run down and start destroying things. You fight off the centaurs as they come in waves(GW2 seems to love sending things in waves) you kill them all and the man thanks you for your help and praises you for what youve done. As you walk away to ....well to do whatever the heck you want, you look over your shoulder to see -- the trading post that is still saved. you walk alittle further away and you look back again thinking "maybe I was seeing things". The trading post is still saved. You come back 30 minutes later and peek around a corner thinking "maybe if i sneak up on it" and it is still saved. Ofcourse a few hours later the centaurs devise another clever plot and decide the trading post is too valuable to leave to those humans. So they rally together and attempt another raid. And the same man see's you and runs up to ask for your help again.

So what Anet really said was "You affect things around you in a very permanent way...until something comes along and screws it up again."  So they delivered. I mean honestly, did you expect a village to stay saved forever. What happens if you save everything? Does the game just end?

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Honestly, some of you guys are being waaay too melodramatic about things.

Most of what was quoted in the OP is actually true. Dungeons absolutely can be cleared with 4 people (and I've done it on multiple occassions, both before AND after the patch). This applies to both explorable AND story modes. Furthermore dungeons do have different types of paths. TA's paths branch whereas CMs are choses at the beginning. Could this be tweaked to be made more interesting? Absolutely, but to say they lied about it is a bit extreme.

Perhaps the only thing in the OP that I can agree with is the lack of customized skins for storymode gear. This is something that a lot of people have been pushing for since release, and to be fair I have noticed Anet sneaking in adjustments to the skins of the dungeon armor. I'm hoping that they will get around (soon) to making the yellow gear look more unique, or at least different for each dungeon. Perhaps even a less badass looking version of the exotics. However, I wouldn't list that as a 'serious issue' in the grand scheme of things.

If you look at the big picture GW2 has been hammered with quite a lot of issues right out of the gate. They've been prioritizing dealing w/ hackers, fixing broken skill points, fixing issues w/ sPvP, etc. etc. Heck, even the final boss fight is bugged atm (Zhaitan). They have a lot of stuff on their plate atm.

These are all issues that need to be fixed, and I do think people should keep pushing for Anet to fix them. However, calling them liars is a bit of an overreaction.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

It's common gaming industry marketing of making bullshit promises that there are no ways to keep.

To mention a couple: Age of Conan , Warhammer Online.

---hurrr----

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by aesperus

Most of what was quoted in the OP is actually true. Dungeons absolutely can be cleared with 4 people (and I've done it on multiple occassions, both before AND after the patch). This applies to both explorable AND story modes. Furthermore dungeons do have different types of paths. TA's paths branch whereas CMs are choses at the beginning. Could this be tweaked to be made more interesting? Absolutely, but to say they lied about it is a bit extreme.

Perhaps the only thing in the OP that I can agree with is the lack of customized skins for storymode gear. This is something that a lot of people have been pushing for since release, and to be fair I have noticed Anet sneaking in adjustments to the skins of the dungeon armor. I'm hoping that they will get around (soon) to making the yellow gear look more unique, or at least different for each dungeon. Perhaps even a less badass looking version of the exotics. However, I wouldn't list that as a 'serious issue' in the grand scheme of things.

If you look at the big picture GW2 has been hammered with quite a lot of issues right out of the gate. They've been prioritizing dealing w/ hackers, fixing broken skill points, fixing issues w/ sPvP, etc. etc. Heck, even the final boss fight is bugged atm (Zhaitan). They have a lot of stuff on their plate atm.

These are all issues that need to be fixed, and I do think people should keep pushing for Anet to fix them. However, calling them liars is a bit of an overreaction.

I agree 100%. Let's see everyone post their perfect AAA MMO that they built...Anyone?

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    ouch.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • LuciferIAmLuciferIAm Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

Not mad at all, I just don't like the spread of misinformation and perpetuation of ignorance. Let alone spouting this misinformation without actually doing any research.

...you seem to be showing quite a bit of Ignorance yourself. Its fine to disagree, but the way you put it your giving a fanboy response where your shutting down what they said without real content to back it up and then ushering a 'go back to XXX' comment. Of course your going to get a response back when you claim ignorance when you can be called just as ignorant, if not, more so just by the tone you use.

Sorry but I give passionate responses, I am a fanboy, I'm far from blind to the games issues. Every game has issues though.. How exactly was I not backing up what I said? Everything I said was completely true if you've played the game you would know... dungeon items are for prestige, this is common knowledge to anyone that actually knows anything about guild wars. Crafting/trading post are the "easy" (and they are really, minimal effort) way to gear in all exotics, but the skins are pretty weak.

One of the reasons I AM a fanboy is it's snow white blindlingly obvious that ANEt truly cares about their game. The same feeling can not be said for many many games out their, even if they happen to be fairly good games, when the love is absent it is obvious. ANET is very dedicated to fixing and improving this already great game (which despite minor hiccups is one of the biggest and greatest launches of an MMORPG ever. If you deny that, you're fooling yourself, and clearly haven't been paying attention to the last decade of MMORPG launches.) Guild Wars 1 was consistently improved and rarely weakened throughout its years of ANET support, Gw2 will follow suit, already evidenced by the substantial effort they have put into tweaking the game into a better game within the FIRST month. Whereas many other games take months and months to fix and improve the minor (and incredibly awesome in some ways) adjustments to the game.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846

Originally posted by Homitu
    Every explorable mode dungeon has multiple paths.  I can personally confirm AC, CM, TA, SE, CoF, and HotW, but I know many others who have done them all.  Oftentimes the choice occurs at the very beginning.  Sometimes, as in TA, you're given a choice between 2 paths on several occasions during the run.  The choice is always initiated by talking to an NPC and participating in the story (not to be confused with story mode) of the dungeon.  All group members are always given a vote in which choice to select.  The one with most votes will be chosen.
    Wow, you completely and utterly misunderstood what was said.

The "branching paths" doesnt mean the 3 different paths you vote on, it means you choose a path and then later on in that path you choose to go one way or a different way with different bosses.

So, the group decides to take Explorable path #2 then halfway through path #2 through they decide to take the left path or the right path.

I thought this was perfectly clear and Im not sure how I could make it any clearer without drawing a diagram.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by Homitu
    Every explorable mode dungeon has multiple paths.  I can personally confirm AC, CM, TA, SE, CoF, and HotW, but I know many others who have done them all.  Oftentimes the choice occurs at the very beginning.  Sometimes, as in TA, you're given a choice between 2 paths on several occasions during the run.  The choice is always initiated by talking to an NPC and participating in the story (not to be confused with story mode) of the dungeon.  All group members are always given a vote in which choice to select.  The one with most votes will be chosen.

Wow, you completely and utterly misunderstood what was said.

The "branching paths" doesnt mean the 3 different paths you vote on, it means you choose a path and then later on in that path you choose to go one way or a different way with different bosses.

So, the group decides to take Explorable path #2 then halfway through path #2 through they decide to take the left path or the right path.

I thought this was perfectly clear and Im not sure how I could make it any clearer without drawing a diagram.

Yea /agreed.

You guys are getting too desperate, even dig a 2 years ( October 20 2010) old article and

try to make Anet look bad based on your assumptions that benefit your own personal agenda.

Seriously male gamers are becoming more like teen girls, just non stop bitching, whining and trolling.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

next time dont fall for hype.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    Originally posted by Tayah

I kinda have to agree with you when it comes to dungeons.

I'd also like to say, for the time and effort and what you get out of the dungeons, it's just not worth running them to me. If the rewards were better, I'd go, but as it is now, no thanks.

What about the challenge? Isnt this the drive force??? ...

• kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by Foomerang

At one time or another, they also said gw2 would have 3500 dynamic events

1500 DEs, it's about accurate. 

30+ mini games in the cities,

Lol no they didn't. show me where they said they'd have anywhere near 30 minigames.

player housing

No. They didn't.

and mobile apps.

There are some now, and some better ones coming.

And they also said they wouldnt talk about any game features unless it was in the game itself.

So what?

Who gives a crap anymore anway heh.

Alot of people. heh.

If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
    Why is it still such a big deal?

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    wow thread deleted on the offical forum.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Don't forget the Manifesto video's blatant lies: "You affect things around you in a very permanent way"  Which events had permanent effects again?  Which towns "stay saved"?

I'm pretty sure that was more inrelation to special 1 off events (think of BWEs where people were people were turned into enimes at random) and story mode (your personal story mode instance is heavily influenced by what you do in game)

At the OP. I agree that gear dropped by dungeons should be at least useable for your character. But, with the way mystic forage works, I don't mind getting things that I can't use. I hope they reevaluate this change. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

It's common gaming industry marketing of making bullshit promises that there are no ways to keep.

To mention a couple: Age of Conan , Warhammer Online.

---hurrr----

This.

It is all about creating hype..i am surprised people are still swayed by what companies say and show in promotional videos. I am in different to it because most of it is just exaggeration to get players excited. Anet also said gear won't give LVL 80 any advantage in PVP, however in game experince have been different so far.

People need to stop taking promotional videos seriously.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

You are not alone in the game. That's what is going on. You put down a stone in the middle of a table. It will stay there, but oh noes here comes miss piggy and moves the stone. ANET YOU LIED THE STONE WASN'T PERMANTLY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TABLE.

• ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249

Everything in this topic I completely agree with. This is obviously not the game we we're promised.

Dungeons definitely need to be altered. When I need to grind a dungeon that is not fun or enjoyable for 40+ times to just get a set of gear, that is bad game design. I can see maybe doing 2 runs for one piece, but right now its just a massive grind. The game has no real "endgame" and this is the only way they can keep people playing.  If the dungeons weren't so monotonous and annoying, it wouldn't be so bad.

It wouldn't be so bad if dungeons weren't the only issue, but its not. A issue I am having is the economy. They have so many systems and safeguards in place to make sure its impossible to have a decent way to make money. You can't play the ah, you can't buy low and sell high. They have limits of how low you can sell something so people who don't know what they should sell for will still make money. I really think the trading post should've been per server. A global one only benfits arenanet cause everyone undercuts each other and de-values everything, thus making gold harder to obtain and keeping the value of items in the cash shop.

Also add in the anti-farming system they have in place. We bought the game, we should decide how we want to play it. But no, thats not the case. This is arenanet, they own the game and they decide how we can play it.

This is the only game I have seen where they take away the core elements of a game and don't have any issues with it. The game is truly a masterpiece, but it has so much working agaisnt it that it is terribly broken and boring. I still say the game deserves a 9/10, but once you hit 80 and realize what is in the game and how much it limits you,  it becomes a 5/10.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Zetsuei

Everything in this topic I completely agree with. This is obviously not the game we we're promised.

Dungeons definitely need to be altered. When I need to grind a dungeon that is not fun or enjoyable for 40+ times to just get a set of gear, that is bad game design. I can see maybe doing 2 runs for one piece, but right now its just a massive grind. The game has no real "endgame" and this is the only way they can keep people playing.  If the dungeons weren't so monotonous and annoying, it wouldn't be so bad.

YOU DON'T GRIND GEAR IN DUNGEONS YOU GRIND SKINS FFS.  Want a max set of gear? Hire a crafter, buy from the AH, or craft it yourself

It wouldn't be so bad if dungeons weren't the only issue, but its not. A issue I am having is the economy. They have so many systems and safeguards in place to make sure its impossible to have a decent way to make money. You can't play the ah, you can't buy low and sell high. They have limits of how low you can sell something so people who don't know what they should sell for will still make money. I really think the trading post should've been per server. A global one only benfits arenanet cause everyone undercuts each other and de-values everything, thus making gold harder to obtain and keeping the value of items in the cash shop.

Are your really complaining about the fact that the price floor is set to the amount you can get from selling an item to a vedor REALLY!? And how does this benifit the cash shop? If you want to make money on the AH you still can. You can still buy low and sell high. You just have to do it with the rarer items. I made 1 gold off of a Revant Two Handed Sword. Even if the AH wasn't universal, it would still suffer from the problem you listed simply because the items that are flooding the market are honestly THAT COMMON. I've personally have gotten the same item at least 40 times while repeating zone content. 

Also add in the anti-farming system they have in place. We bought the game, we should decide how we want to play it. But no, thats not the case. This is arenanet, they own the game and they decide how we can play it.

You want gold to have value? Do you not understand inflation? The anti-farming system is in place to thwart gold farmers. It existed in GW1 which didn't have a cash shop and didn't have an AH. its a good system and only punishes people who farm the same area over and over and over again because its easy. 

This is the only game I have seen where they take away the core elements of a game and don't have any issues with it. The game is truly a masterpiece, but it has so much working agaisnt it that it is terribly broken and boring. I still say the game deserves a 9/10, but once you hit 80 and realize what is in the game and how much it limits you,  it becomes a 5/10.

See orange. 

At the Korea Grinder/Item Mall game comment- none of you have played one if you think GW2's system is anyting like it.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by halflife25

Arenanet is always right. You were watching it wrong.

*grins*

Actually it would seem he was watching it wrong :) I believe this comment was about personal story, no?. But lets see, I believe it can be about the open world too, cap a centaur camp, then have a person guard it against centaurs forever to hold the place. There, now it's permanently under seraph control. A permanent change in the world ;D

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

While some dungeon paths are truly impossible for less than 4 players, if you think a dungeon is too difficult with less than 5 players you might want to re-evaluate yourself and your own abilities.

Everything else on the other hand I completely agree with, they pulled some grade-A Paul Barnett shit on me.

This game is simply not Guild Wars, and I don't think it ever will be.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by kDeviL

Lol no they didn't. show me where they said they'd have anywhere near 30 minigames.

ANET did say 30 minigames

http://www.gamereactor.eu/articles/4160/Guild+Wars+2+interview/

Activities are more or less mini-games that the players can get involved in, placed around in the various cities scattered across the world of Guild Wars 2. They include such honorable traditions as bar brawling, archery or snow ball fights.

How many of these activities do you have planned?

John: About 30-ish, I believe is what we're looking at.

the first activity revealed in BWE3 was Keg Brawl

http://www.arena.net/blog/whats-new-in-the-final-guild-wars-2-beta-weekend-event

Introducing the first minigame activity playable in a beta weekend—the wildly popular, incredibly macho norn pastime known as Keg Brawl!

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by kDeviL

ANET did say 30 minigames

http://www.gamereactor.eu/articles/4160/Guild+Wars+2+interview/

Activities are more or less mini-games that the players can get involved in, placed around in the various cities scattered across the world of Guild Wars 2. They include such honorable traditions as bar brawling, archery or snow ball fights.

How many of these activities do you have planned?

John: About 30-ish, I believe is what we're looking at.

the first activity revealed in BWE3 was Keg Brawl

http://www.arena.net/blog/whats-new-in-the-final-guild-wars-2-beta-weekend-event

Introducing the first minigame activity playable in a beta weekend—the wildly popular, incredibly macho norn pastime known as Keg Brawl!

Yes i remember the interview very well where they stated they are working on 30 mini games.

I myself was surprised that there wern't more mini games on release. But in their defense they only stated they were working (planning) on 30 mini games. Nowhere does it say they had them all plannend for release.

My guess is that will be seeing 1 or 2 each major content patch

edit: If you actually walk arround the cities in-game right now you can see many locations and NPC of where future minigames will be.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by TheIronLegion

I agree 100%. Let's see everyone post their perfect AAA MMO that they built...Anyone?

Ah that wonderful refuge of just trying to blanketly discredit the critics rather than postulate a counter argument of your own. Why don't you give us a call back once you can actually give us what YOU think and not just arrogantly tell the rest of us what WE are ALLOWED to think.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Tardcore
    Originally posted by TheIronLegion

Ah that wonderful refuge of just trying to blanketly discredit the critics rather than postulate a counter argument of your own. Why don't you give us a call back once you can actually give us what YOU think and not just arrogantly tell the rest of us what WE are ALLOWED to think.

That's a quote right there that can be said about many of the "critics" out there too who are pulling stuff out of their ass without actually saying anything, just some generalising statements that hold no value.