Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Ray Muzyka & Greg Zeschuk Retire from BioWare

Comments

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Sure, let's call it "retire".

REALITY CHECK

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

This didn't have to happen and could easily have been prevented. 

The question is - who was the Gordon Gecko in this equation: EA, Bioware, LucasArts or . . . all of the above?

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368
    It is kind of sad to hear. They did make some great games. However, many expected this. It might even have been a plan all along. Both made tons of money with this, so I am not sad that they made all that money, but sad because Bioware is right there with Origins. A great one has fallen. We still have few left, CD Projekt and Bethesda to name a couple. 

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• Sourd420Sourd420 Member Posts: 63
    Originally posted by DSWBeef
    Code for "We hate what EA has done to BW, so we're gone"

Well said.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Funny how the same vicious cycle always happens with EA.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

This.

But at least they made lots of money before they left........

• AndraxxAndraxx Member UncommonPosts: 256

As far as I'm concerned, Bioware has ceased to exist as of their leaving. While I'm sure there are still good devs there, those 2 guys have been the heart and soul of the company. I had hoped they would fight a rear-guard action against the complete borgification that EA heralds for all their acquisitions. Oh well. There are still good dev houses out there. And it doesn't take away from all the great games Bioware made since the late 90s.

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677

Sad day been playing bioware games ever since Baldur's gate and Jade empire and i have to admit bioware was not the same since they went to EA .

I wish them good luck and hope to see them under a new name in a few years , one can hope :)

A++

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677
    Originally posted by ste2000

This.

But at least they made lots of money before they left........

That the thing what we need  in gaming is  for companies to stay small and not grow like EA or Activision.

• MoeMoeKyunMoeMoeKyun Member UncommonPosts: 82
    time to close teh game...
  • kalrhaelkalrhael Member Posts: 87

If that was the truth they would of gone elsewhere that was video-game related, with the sort of resumé that these guys have they can land a gig anywhere...but it sounds like they're done with videogames in general. 

But I say good-luck to them both, I'd say most of us have been touched by a bioware game at some point in our lives, what they've done is still held at the pinnacle when it comes to videogame naratives... Baldurs Gate II, KOTOR, Mass Effect...all shine at the top.  

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

What I read we are leaving to do other stuff.

Real meaning we are leaving before bioware totaly blows up and we get blamed for it, and we will be back later as something else.

Got news for them they cant be trusted now.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

And who was the one who said it first?

Who? ^_____^

SAY UNCLE! =P

Good riddance, I say. I guess I can take out the needles of the voodoo dolls for the sheer audacity these guys released THIS as the new Star Wars MMO.

Let's hope they do something more useful now. Like filling shelves at Wal Mart or delivering hot meals to nursing homes.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

This absolutely 100% has to do with SW:TOR and the last several releases from Bioware.

Compounded with the final big nail of EA's new Online Only policy.

BioWare was known for its Single Player story-driven experiences that were to be engrossing for a Single Player to carve out their own original story. To hold close to themself.

"The Doctors" never wanted to make Online video games.

• VercinVercin Member UncommonPosts: 352

while I was still practicing as an ER physician, back when I first realized that the world of video games was my next career ‘chapter’....

That seems like quite a career jump.

The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

This absolutely 100% has to do with SW:TOR and the last several releases from Bioware.

BioWare was known for its Single Player story-driven experiences that were to be engrossing for a Single Player to carve out their own original story. To hold close to themself.

OhCOME ON, give me a break!

Why is always everyone defending these guys? THEY sold their company to EA. NOBODY forced them! They listend to the siren call of BIG BUCKS and gave into money over quality! They spread their legs to EA for money! And to hell with quality games! Did some greater mysterious power force them to do all that? And where they not so enthusiastic over SWTOR and the "great possibilities" with EA and LucasArts?

EA destroyed EVERY SINGLE game studio they bought. An idiot could tell them it would be like this! If you go into bed with the devil you don't have to be surprised if it ends like this! THEY were boss, THEY could have said NO, if EA or LucasArts went a direction they didn't want! And what did they make? One more crappy RPG after another and the catastrophe of SWTOR which now has about 30-45 k active players left!

Ridiculous! It was in their hands, and they failed as big as in this history of games. As in the frigging history of FAIL!

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• LeoghanLeoghan Member Posts: 607

If the never wanted to make online games then they shouldn't have and they should have walked away from things earlier if they didn't want to be involved. I certainly doubt they are unhappy about the money those online games made them. 

• SimonVDHSimonVDH Member Posts: 178

The only thing that I don't understand, is the fact, that people actually though Mass Effect and Dragon Age: Origins were great games and, later, those people kept buying DA2, ME2, ME3.

I think that Mr Zeschuk and Muzyka should've retired as soon as they sold Bioware, but they can obviously do whatever they want. Nobody should be mad or sad about this, becouse new people with great talent and fresh ideas will emerge in game industry and create new, original, inspiring, intriguing, or simply 'fun' games. The end of one thing is always the beggining of another.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Nailed it.

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

mmmmm

beer

seriously

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - beer

• GamefunGamefun Member Posts: 290
    I really hope EA goes bankrupt and is never able to restart again. EA is the most terrible game company to ever walk the face of the planet, all they do is destroy games they buy out or get there greedy little hands on. I would ditch Bioware as well if I knew EA destroyed one of the biggest IP's in the gaming industry.
  • GamefunGamefun Member Posts: 290
    Originally posted by Elikal

OhCOME ON, give me a break!

Why is always everyone defending these guys? THEY sold their company to EA. NOBODY forced them! They listend to the siren call of BIG BUCKS and gave into money over quality! They spread their legs to EA for money! And to hell with quality games! Did some greater mysterious power force them to do all that? And where they not so enthusiastic over SWTOR and the "great possibilities" with EA and LucasArts?

EA destroyed EVERY SINGLE game studio they bought. An idiot could tell them it would be like this! If you go into bed with the devil you don't have to be surprised if it ends like this! THEY were boss, THEY could have said NO, if EA or LucasArts went a direction they didn't want! And what did they make? One more crappy RPG after another and the catastrophe of SWTOR which now has about 30-45 k active players left!

Ridiculous! It was in their hands, and they failed as big as in this history of games. As in the frigging history of FAIL!

I completely agree with you. You nailed it.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Sad.

Can't blaim them for throwing in the towel. I mean really, who wants to keep working in an extremely volitile industry where the people you are making the games for hate you.

• JedicowboyJedicowboy Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

The hits just keep on coming with BW and EA.

Hope to see these two again with a real SW MMO.

yep totally agree with ya, but i dont feel sorry for them, they was warned that EA was gonna screw BW over and look what happened.

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

Retiring in my 40s sounds good to me.

I suspect one or both of them will resurface in the gaming industry once whatever NDA they signed with EA runs out. If nothing else, they should have enough money to treat game development as a hobby now, not a career. I could see their next venture similar to Runic games where they will go back to their "roots" and create some great single-player RPG games (with LAN or matchmaking support potentially). Only time will tell.