Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can SOE be trusted to produce a quality "Sandbox"?

If you haven't read the interview with Smedley see here.

Also, there's a thread discussing what Smedley said here.

The purpose of this thread, and poll, is to ask the burning question.

"Do you trust SOE to make a quality "Sandbox" title that isn't PayToWin, and doesn't spit all over its players?"

So far SOE's track record is filled with nothing but themeparks, SOE destroying SWG, failing hard with Vanguard, and ignoring Planetside 1 to death (SWG being their own "Sandbox" title, and Planetside 1 their other non-Themepark title being an MMOFPS can't really be called a sandbox).

So, what do you think :)?

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

Comments

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Seriously with a statement like "Can SOE be trusted...." the answer is No doesn't matter what else is said after that.
  • FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by Yizle
    Seriously with a statement like "Can SOE be trusted...." the answer is No doesn't matter what else is said after that.

Are you saying the poll is biased against SOE into forcing people to vote No? When a company like SOE does the things it does there isn't any way to say it postively without sounding like a paid shrill.

However, I voted undecided as Smedley has, oddly enough, changed his tone on a LOT of stuff. A lot of rumors about how poorly their themeparks are doing was circulating at the last SOE Fanfest.

• truthhurtstruthhurts Member Posts: 74

+1 for SoE: they have done it before

+1 for SoE: no Lucas Arts to appease this tie around

-1 for SoE: no Raph Koster this time

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

I will give 'em a chance (desperate times and all-) but voted undecided.

I hate SOE but feel SWG was destroyed by LA. Not trying to spark that issue but... That aside I could list pages upon pages of things SOE has mucked up-But if they are going to attempt a sandbox I will try it. Tired of amature devs being the only ones- This could be decent at leat until an Xpac or two when it WILL get mucked up. lol

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

This could be decent at leat until an Xpac or two when it WILL get mucked up. lol

i laughed and i agree

• TobiasGreyTobiasGrey Member Posts: 166
    After what I've seen from SWG, and to some extent, Planetside 2.... yes.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

So far SOE's track record is filled with nothing but themeparks like Vanguard, Free Realms and SWG. SOE destroying SWG. Well, they really didn't, it was the directive of Lucas Arts that mandated the change, but we're not about to let a little reality get in the way of $OE hate RAWR!  Then SOE followed up with failing hard with Vanguard, and by failing hard, I mean SAVING ITS ASS after Sigil imploded on itself. There's also how they have been ignoring Planetside 1 to death by closing it down years ago like EA, NCSoft or any other publisher would have done. Oh wait... that didn't happen.

Never let truth get in the way of an agenda, bro. image

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Considering SOE's past history, I'm going to have to say a big FUCK NO!

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by Tardcore

Considering SOE's past history, I'm going to have to say a big FUCK NO!

2 years ago I think I would have fully agreed with you.

I WANT to agree with you. In FACT I think its foolish NOT to agree with you.

But damn man... At this point I have thrown money at every "sandbox" attempt out there. I have wasted hours TRYING to like a game and overlook placeholder features and bugs on top of bugs on top of bugs.

SOE or not- If this is going to be a quality Sandbox with a decent featureset- They get another chance from me.

Will I get burned? Probably. But I really want a well made sandbox title and this seems like the best chance there is at this point.

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Are you saying the poll is biased against SOE into forcing people to vote No? When a company like SOE does the things it does there isn't any way to say it postively without sounding like a paid shrill.

However, I voted undecided as Smedley has, oddly enough, changed his tone on a LOT of stuff. A lot of rumors about how poorly their themeparks are doing was circulating at the last SOE Fanfest.

No what I am saying is SOE can never be trusted.

Here I will make it easier for you to understand... Saying Yes you can trust SOE is like saying it feels good to roll around in fire ant beds.

• BilboDogginsBilboDoggins Member Posts: 198

Is SOE producing a sandbox of some sort that I'm not aware of. PS2 and EQNext are not gonna be sandboxes (although EQNext could be a themebox but I have a bad feeling it'll be even more WoWish than any previous iteration).

So if they are not producing a sandbox what is the point of this thread again?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

PS2 is likely to be a themepark/sandbox hybrid

PS2 is supposed to have sandbox elements - w player created bases that can be destroyed

Is there really an untapped market for sandbox MMOs? Smed offers an answer

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by Nadia

PS2 is likely to be a themepark/sandbox hybrid

PS2 is supposed to have sandbox elements - w player created bases that can be destroyed

Is there really an untapped market for sandbox MMOs? Smed offers an answer

Did you miss the link I put to that in my OP :S?

Also, EQ3 (aka: EQ:Next) was said to be an MMO that provides "Emergent Gameplay" by Smedley at the last Fanfest. I can't find a recording of it but I was in the audience when he was asked specifically if EQ3 was going to be "just another WoW-Clone".

Note: he doesn't say Sandbox, so maybe he doesn't understand what "Emergent" means? Anyways that discussion is for the other thread! This one is specifically talking about SOE :# !

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Yes. Not the best reason but... who else is going to? SOE is much more capable at producing AAA quality sandbox emergent gameplay than other MMO devs.
    Originally posted by mmoguy43
    Yes. Not the best reason but... who else is going to? SOE is much more capable at producing AAA quality sandbox emergent gameplay than other MMO devs.

How are they more capable? 

Maybe a better statement would be they have more funds to back one... doesn't mean they are more capable with their mindset and talent.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    They are saying all the right things about EQN so I would say yes. I would stress that it would be "sandbox-ish" though featuring a seamless world with player generated content, er, "emergent gameplay". I like the idea of both elements being present.

What would seperate SoE from other developers would be their track record for developing higher tech features. Some might laugh at SoEMote... Until you read Georgson's comments about spell weaving in the next EQ. Look at all the features EQ2 has and I would say SoE is more than capable of pulling off a sandbox-ish game.
  • LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    I do believe SOE are up to it and it seems to me that Smedley has owned up & learnt from the mistakes, all we can  do is wait and see with PS2 & EverQuest Next
  • truthhurtstruthhurts Member Posts: 74
    Originally posted by mmoguy43

How are they more capable? 

Maybe a better statement would be they have more funds to back one... doesn't mean they are more capable with their mindset and talent.

They definitely do NOT have more funds to back one.  SoE isnt rolling in the dough, and Sony isnt likely giving them any money after DCUO.  If anything, their financial status is a concern, not a benefit.

But in terms of game quality, their track record is above average.  

EQ is obviously regarded as one of the best, if not the best, pre-themepark games (EQ was neither a sandbox or a themepark, the set of MMORPGs contains more than those two elements)

Planetside was a well respected MMOFPS

SWG is one of only 3 prominent sandboxes in MMORPG history (UO and EvE)

EQ2 at its peak was as good as any themepark

And for all its failure, DCUO actually tried to do a more action oriented thing before it was cool to do so and has rebounded from a bad launch.  And this is the one that stands as SoEs biggest failure.

5 games, 5 different genres, 4 of the 5 considered good to great.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

no developer can make a great sandbox MMO in this age, unless its a game like Second Life.

hybrid is the future.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

well after seeing how well they are interacting with the community in the PS2 beta i voted yes... I know PS2 is not a sandbox game but the company has a drive to make good games and are willing to listen..

I think a lot has changed at SOE.. as lnog as they use their own IP and not an IP they dont have control over i think they could pull it off.

Originally posted by Caldrin

well after seeing how well they are interacting with the community in the PS2 beta i voted yes... I know PS2 is not a sandbox game but the company has a drive to make good games and are willing to listen..

I think a lot has changed at SOE.. as lnog as they use their own IP and not an IP they dont have control over i think they could pull it off.

I'm not so sure, PS2 will have quite a few elements from EVE online check out the link to another thread :

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/364299/page/1

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Trusted, as in I have confidence that the game will be released in good condition without major flaws in either game design or payment model?  No that's a stretch I cannot make.

Do I think there's a chance that they could produce a winner that's worth playing?  Possibly.

In fairness, I do trust them far more than any EA owned / driven studio.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Why don't we just judge the game by its merits rather than what its developer might or might not have done in the past, hmm?

I expect most of the players who will pick this game up don't know or don't care about Vanguard, SWG or any other dusty relic SOE might have been involved with.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Originally posted by Quirhid

Why don't we just judge the game by its merits rather than what its developer might or might not have done in the past, hmm?

I expect most of the players who will pick this game up don't know or don't care about Vanguard, SWG or any other dusty relic SOE might have been involved with.

Normally that would be applicable in most other genre of games, but as you know MMO's are a different kind of dynamic beast with the regular patching, updating & newer builds implemented, MMOers want to invest their time and money into there favorite MMO knowing its not a board meeting away from patch/build: verison "1.5.NGE-The QQ & heart break is back" if you get my drift just my 2 cents  =)

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by dustyhayes
    Originally posted by Quirhid

Normally that would be applicable in most other genre of games, but as you know MMO's are a different kind of dynamic beast with the regular patching, updating & newer builds implemented, MMOers want to invest their time and money into there favorite MMO knowing its not a board meeting away from patch/build: verison "1.5.NGE-The QQ & heart break is back" if you get my drift just my 2 cents  =)

Well, if you ant an analogy, somebody who is into Napalm Death music is not gonna even bother checking the latest Justin Bieber album. Ok, it's an exageration, but I guess you get the point.

When a company has disappointed you a few times already... are you going to trust it again?