Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall: Unholy Wars Announced

2»

Comments

• MelkrowMelkrow Member Posts: 278
    Really psyched about this!!  

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Played: Darkfall, EVE, AoC, Ryzom, Ragnarok Online, GW2, PS2, Secret World, WOW, City Of Heroes/Villains, Champion Online.
  • PigEyePigEye Member Posts: 78

I loved DFO, but hated the magic system.

DFO sans the mojo = Greatest game ever!!!

PigEye McNasty
    DFOUW NA

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by zimike

I had so many good memories playing Darkfall... the PVP ... exploring, running for hours just to get halfway across the huge world.. the fear .. the sound of your heart pounding in your chest when a group of 'reds' start to pursue you and you run for your life... the epic loot. 

Everything had value and more important... 'people had value'. Once they took the value of being a person away in games, they took away our humanity. People should be able to choose right from wrong, not be forced to walk a liner path the the game defines for you.

The only reason I stopped playing, was because I had close friends who couldn't handle the PVP full loot system. Due to pear pressure, I decided to move on to more theme park based MMO's. Even though I play GW2 right now, my heart still belongs to Darkfall. 

The only thing holding me back from playing Darkfall right now, is the release of Darkfall 2.0.

Sorry for my rambling. Normally I do not make posts, I read them, but Darkfall brings strong emotions to the surface. If bigger companies do not take a chance and invest in games like Darkfall, then I feel the MMO market will crash. People want to be respected, honored, or feared. They do not want to hit max level and spend endless hours as a drone mashing buttons just to get the next set of raid gear(well maybe some). 

Alright I'll stop before I start contradicting myself or something.

Absolutely. I have been waiting for this game and looking forward to it more than any other, for the reasons you so well explained.

I re-subbed to DF recently, but that old UI...I had to reset the the whole thing and basically relearn the game. And I have 3 accounts.  That in itself would take me a couple of hours, and then the whole issue of the mess in my bank...I just couldn't face it. . I gave up because I know the new game will have a new and easier UI.

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by evolpc
    I am so glad to hear this. Played Darkfall from launch until 6 months ago. I miss many of the elements that a game like Darkfall can provide that a game like GW2 just can't. Although until Darkfall Unholy Wars launches I will be thoroughly enjoying GW2 and TSW.

Exactly what I'm doing with the same games.

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

I wonder if it will actually release on November 20, 2012?  It might have been a typo, maybe they meant to say "November 20, 2017"...

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    will we be able to repair gear this time? :P

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Cant wait for this...

So many good games coming out..

This

Planetside 2

War of the roses...

Where am i gonna find time for it all lol

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Darkfall Unholy Wars will be my main MMO, GW2 my 2nd MMO and Planetside2 for fps... im full now :)
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Still no skill cap, can't believe the developers are so ignorant to not realize the necessity to have one.  Yes, if you design the skill system like Eve, caps are not necessay, but the Darkfall skill system cries for one.

This game will always be a niche game because the developers don't have a clue how to make a open ended game like this.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Still no skill cap, can't believe the developers are so ignorant to not realize the necessity to have one.  Yes, if you design the skill system like Eve, caps are not necessay, but the Darkfall skill system cries for one.

This game will always be a niche game because the developers don't have a clue how to make a open ended game like this.

Yes you can learn all the skills but now they have moved to a type of class system.

Each class will have certain restrictions so sure you might have all the skills but you wont be able to use them all at the same time... So warrior type heavy armored guys wont be able to cast anything from the main spell schools just some basic ones..

You are able to swap classes around but hopefully this is not somthing you will be able to do in the middle of a fight..

They know exacly how to make an open FFA PVP sandbox game.. yes it will always be niche because thats the type of game it is... you dont think the average wow kiddie will be happy getting killed and loosing all his gear now do you?

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802
    Originally posted by itchmon
    will we be able to repair gear this time? :P

No that would be silly :P but it will have a new crafting system including some form of recycling skill to create mats from low dura / unwanted gear.

Being able to repair in Darkfall would be silly because the constant need for gear replacement it what keeps the economy running smooth and allows crafters to live their dream of being really valued in a game.

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203
    But game still defines for you if you don't have perma death, then people would realy choose right from wrong.
    Originally posted by zimike

Everything had value and more important... 'people had value'. Once they took the value of being a person away in games, they took away our humanity. People should be able to choose right from wrong, not be forced to walk a liner path the the game defines for yo

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Stoked for this.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Originally posted by Caldrin
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Yes you can learn all the skills but now they have moved to a type of class system.

Each class will have certain restrictions so sure you might have all the skills but you wont be able to use them all at the same time... So warrior type heavy armored guys wont be able to cast anything from the main spell schools just some basic ones..

You are able to swap classes around but hopefully this is not somthing you will be able to do in the middle of a fight..

They know exacly how to make an open FFA PVP sandbox game.. yes it will always be niche because thats the type of game it is... you dont think the average wow kiddie will be happy getting killed and loosing all his gear now do you?

As long as the templates are customizable. But if it's limited, than I think it's not really a good thing. I should be able to put X amount of skills into a template and call it my own. If it is something like I have a warrior template so I can only use warrior skills.. then i'm not interested.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Good to know they finally wised up and put some controls in pvp with class restrictions.  

Still, this comment got a chuckle out of me: "They know exacly how to make an open FFA PVP sandbox game" .  I beg to differ and have to say it is a typical indie game, they attempt to make it better without irking the veterans, instead of actually fixing it.  They do not understand how to really make a FFA PVP game, they just play at it.  Besides that it is still one of the few FFA PVP games that actually somewhat work.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Good video, I like their ideas, and am more hopeful that this time around the title will gain more traction than it's predecessor.

Though not a fan of the looting system, I'll probably give it a go this time though I hope they improve on their payment systems which is actually what blocked me the first time around.

And thank heavens for this annoucement, getting so sick of 9/10 posts on this forum being about GW2. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SmokeysongSmokeysong Member UncommonPosts: 247

In my opinion, Darkfall is the game MMOG players should be playiing if PvP is their thing. Especially "World PvP".

I've seen complaints from WoW players over the years about World PvP, usally along the lines of "It's gone!" Son, it never existed to begin with, WoW is not a world PvP game and never was. Darfall is.

Of course Darkfall is also a sandbox style game, and a lot of theme-park MMOG players would be lost in it at first, but I think if you are serious about PvP in a famtasy  MMOG, then you should give Darkfall a serious try.

;)

Have played: Everquest, Asheron's Call, Horizons, Everquest2, World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall

• WhiskyjumperWhiskyjumper Member UncommonPosts: 75
    So when is this being released? I can't seem to find the release date. And what will be the cost?
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    What is really interesting is the total polar shift in attitude from this site from when df1 came out.