Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crash crash crash...

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Ok, this is getting absurd. It was bad enough the game crashed every 45-60 mins in PVE and every 30 min in WvW. But I managed.

But now in my level 50 personal story quest "Battle of Claw Island", it crashes EVERY 5 minutes. I can't even finish the story, and I tried several times, even with lowest settings to be sure.

This isn't funny anymore.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Elikal

Ok, this is getting absurd. It was bad enough the game crashed every 45-60 mins in PVE and every 30 min in WvW. But I managed.

But now in my level 50 personal story quest "Battle of Claw Island", it crashes EVERY 5 minutes. I can't even finish the story, and I tried several times, even with lowest settings to be sure.

Maybe not to you...but...

(I'm kidding. Crashing sucks. Sorry you are having trouble)

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Low end computer? 32bit operating system?

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• imlazyxdimlazyxd Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Time to get a new computer.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

what are your CPU/GPU temps? you could be having an overheating issue.. I'd run some stress tests and check temperatures. Haven't had a hard crash since launch here.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by imlazyxd

a) Time you gave me the money?

and

b) Look at the official Tech forum. There are hundreds of crash entries, all for VERY different computers and Windows versions. So... no. Just no.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Definately check your PC and list stuff here maybe someone can help you figure it out. My brother crashes out every hour or so, but his is internet related to where he lives not game related.

and

b) Look at the official Tech forum. There are hundreds of crash entries, all for VERY different computers and Windows versions. So... no. Just no.

Hundreds of crash entries VS a couple million players tells me the issue is with those individual players and not game related, unless those hundreds of crashes are in the same area of the game. I have not had the game crash once since I started playing. While that alone is not proof that it is not the game, it tells me the game is not some unstable mess that is crashing.

Chances are very likely that the crashing is user related and not GW2 related.

Originally posted by Aerowyn

what are your CPU/GPU temps? you could be having an overheating issue.. I'd run some stress tests and check temperatures. Haven't had a hard crash since launch here.

Tried that. Not the case. -__-

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Also if your running Windows 7 32bit it does not leave you with alot of ram for running games. It wont matter if you have 8gigs installed on your rig it will only use up to 3gig

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

and

i been working with computers for a very long time now.. most times it is a user issue with system or internet.. not saying game bugs don't cause crashes but overall it generally is not anything with the game in my experience.. we need system info to be more helpful.. If possible i'd also recommend a clean install of windows if you haven't done that in a good while.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

and

i been working with computers for a very long time now.. most times it is a user issue with system or internet.. not saying game bugs don't cause crashes but overall it generally is not anything with the game in my experience.. we need system info to be more helpful.. If possible i'd also recommend a clean install of windows if you haven't done that in a good while.

I know people try to help, and I appreciate that. But look, I am using computers for 20 years give or take. While I am no master of comp-tech, I surely know how to properly run a computer, keeping everything working properly. And as proof, every other game I played the last months and weeks works very good. So I have reason to assume there is nothing wrong with my computer, but with my compatibility, something that ANet has to patch and work on.

I use Intel, NVidia and Windows XP. A game simply HAS to work with that widespread system setup. Sorry if that comes over as arrogant, it is arrogant towards ANet as a paying customer, where I think, having no niche computer and a good understanding of how to operate my computer, it just *has* to work.

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270

Crash crash crash...

Boom boom boom...

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    I've racked up a LOT of time on GW2 since release and I have NEVER had the game crash.  My PC is pretty average, too.
  • StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Originally posted by Dibdabs
    I've racked up a LOT of time on GW2 since release and I have NEVER had the game crash.  My PC is pretty average, too.

Take THAT, OP!

Clearly you are trippin!

and

I know people try to help, and I appreciate that. But look, I am using computers for 20 years give or take. While I am no master of comp-tech, I surely know how to properly run a computer, keeping everything working properly. And as proof, every other game I played the last months and weeks works very good. So I have reason to assume there is nothing wrong with my computer, but with my compatibility, something that ANet has to patch and work on.

I use Intel, NVidia and Windows XP. A game simply HAS to work with that widespread system setup. Sorry if that comes over as arrogant, it is arrogant towards ANet as a paying customer, where I think, having no niche computer and a good understanding of how to operate my computer, it just *has* to work.

Just because you have used computers for 20 years does not mean you know to keep them running properly. I have been driving for 20 years now, doesnt mean I can keep my car from breaking down.

Chances are it is on your end not a patch that GW2 needs. Maybe if you listed everything like people trying to help you have asked you might get some place. Instead you keep deflecting. Impossible to help when you refuse to do your part.

Originally posted by Rokurgepta

and

Just because you have used computers for 20 years does not mean you know to keep them running properly. I have been driving for 20 years now, doesnt mean I can keep my car from breaking down.

Chances are it is on your end not a patch that GW2 needs. Maybe if you listed everything like people trying to help you have asked you might get some place. Instead you keep deflecting. Impossible to help when you refuse to do your part.

exactly can't help someone if they refuse to give system specs... when and where crashes are happening.. what temps you get during stress tests.. what stress test you running.. what drivers are you running.. how long since last clean install of windows.. all things I would need ot know to help.. 

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Well, I work for dell tech support. I get a lot of similar calls, of computers being slow or programs crashing. I find that 90% of the time it is user error. The best thing to do is to have a techy come down and reinstall your computer for you. Or if that does not work, then buy a new PC, as it would be hardware related.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263
    I've been playing on two different computers and I have never had a single crash on either system. A lot of times crashes are related to graphics drivers.
  • sbantingsbanting Member Posts: 238
    I've personally had only one crash on the game, near the early launch, but that was down to overclocking the computer and the cpu hitting 70c, bought a new fan and not had a problem since, so it might be down to the heat. Run some temperature tracking software, if its not that, could be lots of different issues, RAM, available space on your hard drive, bad drivers, out of date drivers, the list goes on and on.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

You could have a defective video card, or a bad spot in either your RAM or video ram, both would cause you to crash as you have described.

But then again, it could be one of a dozen other reasons.

One thing it definitely isn't is the game itself, but remember, no game runs on 100% of all computers, some percentage of machines will not be able to run it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

as others have pointed out could be dozens of things, might want to have a pro check it out. At one point in my life I had close to 500 of these critters I had to keep running for the company I worked for. On trouble calls I found everything from not being plugged in to bad power supplies to virus infections and everything in between. Could just be a conflict between the game and a background program or might be something hardware related

Oh and edit I have had it crash once or twice since launch, so I know it does happen

I miss DAoC

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269

I've never had a single crash. Not even in betas or the early release when the servers were being less than cooperative. I also work in a place where we build, test, and sell several different machines. Majority of them are gaming machines and we use GW2 to test them. None of them have any issues running it. Their specs range from mid-range to very high end. This is likely a client-side issue. We need to know more info about your system to really help you out, but you also have to calm down and be willing to give us this info. Simply foaming at the mouth and pointing the finger is going to get us nowhere.

We need to know things like:

CPU

GPU

RAM

Mobo(if you know what its model is that helps)

DX version

Driver revision

Windows install (XP, Vista, 7 - 32/64bit)

HD type and size (SATA - IDE - SOLID STATE)

also knowing if you've done anything with windows update can help. windows 7 now has service pack 1 available and that may fix some issues.

Another thing to note: In GW1 when the game crashed every 15 - 30 mins it was usually related to your graphics driver not being up to date. Updating the driver usually fixed the issue. With GW2 being made from an updated version of the same engine I can see this being a possible solution.

And finally, it doesn't matter how long you've worked with computers or how much you know there is always something that you can learn or that will surprise you.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

Not sure why you even play the game.  Every time I come to this site there is a thread of yours about GW2 and they are never positive.

As far as the crashes go.  Driver update first.  It is easy, free, and will clear up a large % of the problems. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Op you mentioned you are running Win XP w nvidea drivers

no idea if this helps but saw this on GW2Guru

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/54373-guild-wars-2-crashes-quite-frequently/page__st__150#entry1866609

I was getting the out of memory error  / game crash almost every other time I changed zones.  It was the same error all the time.

I followed the instructions outlined above:
    There's something called the /3gb switch for 32bit windows (vista & 7 too) which enables applications to use more memory.

Instructions on how to enable the option:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=9583842&linkID=9240697

.... applied that 3Gb switch and the game has not crashed since applying the switch.

I have a 3rd gen i7 with a GTX 670 and 32 bit Win 7.

edit:

Nvidea released new drivers last week w better support for GW2

http://techreport.com/news/23565/nvidia-churns-out-306-23-whql-drivers-urges-users-to-upgrade

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258

Ummm driver updates might work. It may not be your system at all. I have a gtx 670 which is very well cooled and it used to crash. Updated the drivers and it runs wonderfully.