Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What happened to this ArenaNet?

XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/guild-wars-2-the-kitchen-sink-post/2/

Some snippets:

"Flannum told us that players higher level than a dungeon returning to it will be strong enough that good players “could definitely finish the dungeon with less than 5 players."

Nope, Story and Explorable Mode dungeons are already hard enough with 5 people. CM Story, which was considered easy, just got a huge difficulty increase.

"We tried to really vary each of them quite a bit so we actually don’t fall into a pattern where it’s like ‘Well, Explorable is like there’s three different paths you can take.’ That is true sometimes, but sometimes there’s three different ways, or sometimes it’s multiple ways, not even three, maybe four ways. Sometimes it branches in the middle, sometimes it branches right at the beginning."

So, which dungeons have branching paths again?

"In Story Mode, you’ll receive weapons that are comparable to those on the surface, but have a look unique to the dungeon in which they were found"

Sorry, no. The gear you get from Story mode is just basic gear. Guess they changed to Explorable mode.

"Our basic philosophy is that you should never complete a piece of content and get something you don’t want. So it’s going to be the case where you go through and are guaranteed to get a piece of gear that you didn’t have before, and that you’re going to want.” So, you’re guaranteed to get a piece of gear every time you do a dungeon? “Yes.” Sweet"

Holy crap, so utterly wrong. This isnt just a system change but a basic philosophy change.

"More specifically, we were told that weapons will come from story mode (one run = one weapon) and the rest of your armor will be earned from explorable mode."

Wrong again.

This is the Guild Wars 2 I was sold on. ArenaNet did go back on their word and they did abandon their philosophy. ArenaNet is no longer ArenaNet.

Comments

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Don't forget the Manifesto video's blatant lies: "You affect things around you in a very permanent way"  Which events had permanent effects again?  Which towns "stay saved"?
  • StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Originally posted by parrotpholk
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Don't forget the Manifesto video's blatant lies: "You affect things around you in a very permanent way"  Which events had permanent effects again?  Which towns "stay saved"?

shhhhh your not supposed to notice such things

Lalalalalalalalaaaaa

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I kinda have to agree with you when it comes to dungeons.

I'd also like to say, for the time and effort and what you get out of the dungeons, it's just not worth running them to me. If the rewards were better, I'd go, but as it is now, no thanks.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Some snippets:

"Flannum told us that players higher level than a dungeon returning to it will be strong enough that good players “could definitely finish the dungeon with less than 5 players."

Nope, Story and Explorable Mode dungeons are already hard enough with 5 people. CM Story, which was considered easy, just got a huge difficulty increase.

You can do some in 4, even did Arah story in 4, but I don't think it applies to all of them. Doable tho.

"We tried to really vary each of them quite a bit so we actually don’t fall into a pattern where it’s like ‘Well, Explorable is like there’s three different paths you can take.’ That is true sometimes, but sometimes there’s three different ways, or sometimes it’s multiple ways, not even three, maybe four ways. Sometimes it branches in the middle, sometimes it branches right at the beginning."

The one with branching paths I did is Twilight Arbour Explorable.

"In Story Mode, you’ll receive weapons that are comparable to those on the surface, but have a look unique to the dungeon in which they were found"

Sorry, no. The gear you get from Story mode is just basic gear. Guess they changed to Explorable mode.

"Our basic philosophy is that you should never complete a piece of content and get something you don’t want. So it’s going to be the case where you go through and are guaranteed to get a piece of gear that you didn’t have before, and that you’re going to want.” So, you’re guaranteed to get a piece of gear every time you do a dungeon? “Yes.” Sweet"

Holy crap, so utterly wrong. This isnt just a system change but a basic philosophy change.

Blues, blues everywhere. While I can't get better gear in explorables, than the one I have, it would be nice to see better stuff than blues and greens, a bit more often. You do get more pieces of gear, just not particulary usefull ones.

"More specifically, we were told that weapons will come from story mode (one run = one weapon) and the rest of your armor will be earned from explorable mode."

Wrong again.

This I hate also. You already have to farm instances like mad in explorable.

This is the Guild Wars 2 I was sold on. ArenaNet did go back on their word and they did abandon their philosophy. ArenaNet is no longer ArenaNet.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

I do believe towns can stay captured though. If no one triggers the event to recapture it. Not sure.

There are a lot of people running around so events never fail and get triggered every 5 minutes.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

Some snippets:

At the top of my head, Twilight Arbor. I have only played 3 explorable dungeons total and i can already tell you that much.

Yep, I will agree with you on this one. It was pretty annoying when they changed this. To be fair, they item they do give you is a yellow. Although getting this same yellow hat every single story mode dungeon is pretty stupid.

Wrong again.

I will agree with you that this particular issue is a big problem. It created a pretty big uproar on gw2guru when people found this out after BWE3. However, with other issues they did stick to their word. I am hoping this is an isolated instance and they only had to do this because a gun was pressed to their head due to time contstraints or something. What they put in now may very well be upgraded to something better later on. Although I am a fanboy, I am very wary and realistic as to whether or not Arenanet can stick to their promises. Only time will tell.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

At one time or another, they also said gw2 would have 3500 dynamic events, 30+ mini games in the cities, player housing and mobile apps. And they also said they wouldnt talk about any game features unless it was in the game itself. Who gives a crap anymore anway heh.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

Arenanet is always right. You were watching it wrong.

*grins*

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Foomerang

At one time or another, they also said gw2 would have 3500 dynamic events, 30+ mini games in the cities, player housing and mobile apps. And they also said they wouldnt talk about any game features unless it was in the game itself. Who gives a crap anymore anway heh.

can i have source link for 3500 dynamic events?

30+ minigames: agree ANET dropped ball

everything else was known that it will happen post launch

Guild Halls / Player Housing, Aug 2011 a year ago

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/18447-guild-info-discussion-thread/page__st__180#entry887047

Mobile Apps

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/07/guild-wars-2-interview-touches-on-mobile-app-development-and-str/

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

Originally posted by gessekai332
    At the top of my head, Twilight Arbor. I have only played 3 explorable dungeons total and i can already tell you that much.

Ok, we've established that Twilight Arbor has a branching path. Any others?

I havent done all explorable dungeons but the dungeons and paths I have taken in them have all been quite linear.

So far 1 dungeon out of 8. Do multiple paths in TA have branches? Because that is what he implied.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Foomerang At one time or another, they also said gw2 would have 3500 dynamic events, 30+ mini games in the cities, player housing and mobile apps. And they also said they wouldnt talk about any game features unless it was in the game itself. Who gives a crap anymore anway heh.
    can i have source link for 3500 dynamic events?

30+ minigames: agree ANET dropped ball

everything else was known that it will happen post launch

Guild Halls / Player Housing, Aug 2011 a year ago

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/18447-guild-info-discussion-thread/page__st__180#entry887047

Mobile Apps

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/07/guild-wars-2-interview-touches-on-mobile-app-development-and-str/

Hence the phrase "at one time or another" and hence the other phrase "who gives a crap"

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Some snippets:

Wrong again.

You're right. They screwed the pooch on all of these points and even though I'm a fan of the game I'm not going to defend it on any of these issues other than branching paths in dungeons. Yes they do have different paths you can take.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    If you are good you can easily run dungeons with less than 5 people. I have run a couple of them with just 3 of us in Story Mode. 
  • SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231
    Originally posted by Tayah

I'd also like to say, for the time and effort and what you get out of the dungeons, it's just not worth running them to me. If the rewards were better, I'd go, but as it is now, no thanks.

You do get tokens.

As for finishing it with 4 players, I don't think that's impossible. You just need to organize and utilize your skills properly. I do want to add though that some bosses are really awkward, as in "are we really supposed to do this?", nothing ever feels right as whatever you are doing it doesn't feel like it clicks into place.

Originally posted by Sideras
    Originally posted by Tayah

You do get tokens.

As for finishing it with 4 players, I don't think that's impossible. You just need to organize and utilize your skills properly. I do want to add though that some bosses are really awkward, as in "are we really supposed to do this?", nothing ever feels right as whatever you are doing it doesn't feel like it clicks into place.

Aye, I knew you got tokens, but for me personally, there's not enough coin/drops in a dungeon run for me to want to do it over and over just for tokens. I run them with guild members and family and friends, but they're not my favorite thing to do in the game.

I ran events with 140% MF until I had the coin for exotic 80 weapons and a set of Draconic Rampager and a set of Draconic Knight's armor.  For me, dungeons are not worth the time, but that's one of those good things about the game. Everyone can choose their own path to work for exotics/legendary items. Win, win, for us all. image

Dark Age of Camelot

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    I also got the impression that one dungeon run = one armour piece/ weapon. But now you have to do the run SO MANY times to even get close to buying the item. Please post this on the main forums to. Post this link and any others on the subject. Dungeons jsut aren't worth it and are an incredible grind.
  • sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666
    the only thing that annoy me is when i completed map i never received a item that i can use,  weapon/armor

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525

I havent done all explorable dungeons but the dungeons and paths I have taken in them have all been quite linear.

So far 1 dungeon out of 8. Do multiple paths in TA have branches? Because that is what he implied.

How is it linear? At most, you will have to fight 1 boss that is similar in each of the paths of explorable mode. Thus the paths actually do branch out and clear different parts of the instance rather than going the same path but instead spawning a different boss at the desired location. It does branch off to different locations in each choice.

Originally posted by sk8chalif
    the only thing that annoy me is when i completed map i never received a item that i can use,  weapon/armor

That's happened to me every single time I've completed a map. As a warrior, I can't even wear the cloth and leather armor I usually get. image

Dark Age of Camelot

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Every explorable mode dungeon has multiple paths.  I can personally confirm AC, CM, TA, SE, CoF, and HotW, but I know many others who have done them all.  Oftentimes the choice occurs at the very beginning.  Sometimes, as in TA, you're given a choice between 2 paths on several occasions during the run.  The choice is always initiated by talking to an NPC and participating in the story (not to be confused with story mode) of the dungeon.  All group members are always given a vote in which choice to select.  The one with most votes will be chosen. 

As for the other points, I definitely don't like how many times you have to run each dungeon before you can get even one piece of something remotely useful.  I also don't like how dungeons are basically worthless while leveling aside from the exp.  This is the first MMO in a long time where I don't look forward to gaining access to the next dungeon while I'm leveling up.  Also, what's up with that completely generic, cheaper, rare set that has the same exact (ultra fugly) skin for all the dungeons?  You know, that set that all those generic headpieces you earn belong to. It's utterly pointless, and i don't think anyone ever has or ever will buy it.  There's no statistical or visual purpose to it as far as I can see.  Feel free to enlighten me.  

I also haven't seen any unique skins from the random dungeon drops.  There are, however, weapon rewards purchaseable with explorable tokens for each dungeon that do have unique skins.  That said, aside from various greatswords, I haven't seen a single weapon in this game that I think looks cool.  But then again, I've almost never pursued weapons based on looks before.  So that isn't exactly a fair complaint.  I can't think of a single other game where I've been in awe of the weapons. 

• MagnnarotMagnnarot Member Posts: 50

Some snippets:

I have completed EVERY SINGLE (with exception of crucible of eternity, since I didnt even step a foot in there yet) story mode dungeon with 4 people while being on the correct level for it (not even overleveled on most of the cases), hell, even finished flame citadel story with only 3, reason? The horrid instancing system that doesnt allow people to joing back on DC, so that is not an issue, just you being bad probably.

Every single explorable mode.

True.

You do get a level appropriate Rare Head gear piece for the first time you run a dungeon.

Wrong again.

Design change probably.

All in all, they did deliver on MOST of what they promised, the biggest flaw on release being the lack of the 30 or so minigames promised, but they have already stated that they are going to release them at some point (even the npcs are already in place for them). What we got for 60 dollars and no sub fee is a really extensive game, bigger than anything since wow vanilla released that will last for years to come.

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220
    Very good post with very good points.  I do enjoy reading posts that are well written with facts to back them up.
  • CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    We were able to do CM just fine with 4 rangers earlier o.o 

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Personnel Story

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.