Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There's a lot of hype for 2.0

PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565

Around gaming communities I follow DF 2.0 is getting a lot of ' can't wait ' responses. I would have thought the complete opposite would happen.

What happened? I thought Darkfall was left to die at the side of the road. Why is the community suddenly excited for another game being developed by the same people?

Comments

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

A lot of people really liked Darkfall, myself included.  The freedom and huge world are second to none.  However the grind was to much for me so I let it go.  Aventurine had a good opportunity to address some of the issues early but instead we got fun hulks.  I still had a great time during my couple of years of play though.

Done right, Aventurine can capitalize on their niche market.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

its simple..

Darkfall IS SPARTA !!

its so unique in approach and execution that you always in for a surprise. For good or bad..

The foundation for a good MMORPG of DF1 was really there but it wasn't flesh out to the detail..so there is always hope its getting better..

(doubt this regarding the playstyles and sandbox aspect given the litle info we have ..but you can never know)

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565
    Well unfortunately for me I tried the game in its later years, literally it was just 1000 people on the server at peak time. But I remember reading about the huge thousand player alliances that would wage war with each other over territory. I'm going to try this when it gets released so I can see what the fuss is about.
  • Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Yep... Darkfall 2010 is going to be awesome.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by PsychoPigeon
    Well unfortunately for me I tried the game in its later years, literally it was just 1000 people on the server at peak time. But I remember reading about the huge thousand player alliances that would wage war with each other over territory. I'm going to try this when it gets released so I can see what the fuss is about.

and it was no lies...the first  3 - 6 months after release was insane intense...

i guess many will jump back just for that feeling again :P

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• TobiasGreyTobiasGrey Member Posts: 166

Around gaming communities I follow DF 2.0 is getting a lot of ' can't wait ' responses. I would have thought the complete opposite would happen.

What happened? I thought Darkfall was left to die at the side of the road. Why is the community suddenly excited for another game being developed by the same people?

It's one of the most impressive MMOs released in recent memory. Most people really liked it, but there were 1 or 2 things that ruined the experience. 2.0 addresses many of the community complaints.

And DF was never "left to die by the road". 2.0 IS Darkfall. This is the same game.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

People seem to think the game is going to have some sort of drastic change to gameplay, or forget what game this is. 

http://darkfallonline.com/uw/

Flexible Roles: Choose role at will, switching from meat shield to master mage to benevolent healer. Players can switch between roles, skills, spells, and ability boosters on the fly. Develop your skills in all roles and experience the game in a multitude of different ways over time or specialize in a single role and be the one your friends depend on to fulfill that calling.

People seem to be under the impression that this is going to be a completely different game, and not just DF with some updated art assets, new mobs, and a new UI.  They're under the impression that the same grind won't be there, kind of the way some people have been saying that the grind "isn't as bad" now then it was when the game released, when it really is. 

As if people won't be macroing.  As if the new DF won't have the bugs and poor performance that the original had, as though there won't be a bunch of exploiters and cheaters. 

AV is billing it as a new game, even though they've been saying for 2 years that it's mostly overhauling the graphics and making some adjustments to the way magic works, and a new UI.  It seems to have a bunch of people behaiving as if the new DF is going to be drastically different from it's current version, even though AV has never said it will be, or even really mentiioned much beyond the work they've done on the graphics. 

It's kind of like a funcom situatiion here.  Funcom has really bad launch after really bad launch of mediocre games, yet people expected some sort of magic to happen with TSW.  Oddly enough, TSW was exactly another funcom game. 

CCP does, about every 6 months, what AV has spent the last two years doing, yet DF:UW will be the savior of MMO's?  I have to wonder what would happen if each new expansion for EVE was billed as a "new game".  I can only imagine it would be the equivilent of the second coming of Christ. 

People seem to have really short memories.  I'm willing to guarantee you that not long from now the forums will be flooded with posts about how AV is just a greedy developer trying to bilk people out of there money by charging them to play a game they already paid for, just because they labelled it as a "new game", exactly like happend when they opened the NA server.  Then, when it does release, it'll be a flood of posts about how they called the same game a "new game" when it's still just the same DF with some graphical enhancements and new mobs.

How much better do you really expect them to do with this "new game" when they pretty much tell you they couldn't really fix what was already there.  I would think that anyone who's been playing games as long as I have (start of the 80's) that they would have learned the same thing I have, If a developer can't get it right the first time, theyd on't usually get it right the second.  Especially when it's the exact same people who couldn't get it right the first time around trying it again.

Originally posted by TobiasGrey

It's one of the most impressive MMOs released in recent memory. Most people really liked it, but there were 1 or 2 things that ruined the experience. 2.0 addresses many of the community complaints.

And DF was never "left to die by the road". 2.0 IS Darkfall. This is the same game.

Pardon me, but you don't spend 2 years claiming to be remaking your game because "most people really liked it".  In fact, most people really didn't like it, which would explain why there were so few people NOT PLAYING after the first couple of months. 

When you have EU people moving from their server to the NA server becaues of population problems, it's pretty clear that most people didn't like your game. 

When you cut the subscriptioin fee practically in half, it's pretty clear that most people didn't like your game. 

When most of the people that are excited about the "new game" aren't playign the current game, obviously most people didn't really like it. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Year after year of endless, lame themeparks has left the marketplace looking for more. Just not convinced AV is the one to do it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802
    Originally posted by Uhwop

People seem to think the game is going to have some sort of drastic change to gameplay, or forget what game this is. 

Flexible Roles: Choose role at will, switching from meat shield to master mage to benevolent healer. Players can switch between roles, skills, spells, and ability boosters on the fly. Develop your skills in all roles and experience the game in a multitude of different ways over time or specialize in a single role and be the one your friends depend on to fulfill that calling.

People seem to be under the impression that this is going to be a completely different game, and not just DF with some updated art assets, new mobs, and a new UI.  They're under the impression that the same grind won't be there, kind of the way some people have been saying that the grind "isn't as bad" now then it was when the game released, when it really is. 

As if people won't be macroing.  As if the new DF won't have the bugs and poor performance that the original had, as though there won't be a bunch of exploiters and cheaters. 

AV is billing it as a new game, even though they've been saying for 2 years that it's mostly overhauling the graphics and making some adjustments to the way magic works, and a new UI.  It seems to have a bunch of people behaiving as if the new DF is going to be drastically different from it's current version, even though AV has never said it will be, or even really mentiioned much beyond the work they've done on the graphics. 

It's kind of like a funcom situatiion here.  Funcom has really bad launch after really bad launch of mediocre games, yet people expected some sort of magic to happen with TSW.  Oddly enough, TSW was exactly another funcom game. 

CCP does, about every 6 months, what AV has spent the last two years doing, yet DF:UW will be the savior of MMO's?  I have to wonder what would happen if each new expansion for EVE was billed as a "new game".  I can only imagine it would be the equivilent of the second coming of Christ. 

People seem to have really short memories.  I'm willing to guarantee you that not long from now the forums will be flooded with posts about how AV is just a greedy developer trying to bilk people out of there money by charging them to play a game they already paid for, just because they labelled it as a "new game", exactly like happend when they opened the NA server.  Then, when it does release, it'll be a flood of posts about how they called the same game a "new game" when it's still just the same DF with some graphical enhancements and new mobs.

How much better do you really expect them to do with this "new game" when they pretty much tell you they couldn't really fix what was already there.  I would think that anyone who's been playing games as long as I have (start of the 80's) that they would have learned the same thing I have, If a developer can't get it right the first time, theyd on't usually get it right the second.  Especially when it's the exact same people who couldn't get it right the first time around trying it again.

Addressing your first paragraph...

No one is wanting Darkfall to be a completely different game, the PvP, siege conquest and combat is exactly what AV did right over so many games we see released these days. Unholy Wars is a lot more than graphic boost with new UI, it boasts to be user friendly, help new players get into the game, have a lot more content and objectives, new dungeons, the entire world remade to the point where you wouldn't recognise it anymore.

If you think the grind in DF is bad now, you're one of those players who wants an insta-maxed character, leveling takes roughly 2 weeks now the skill gains are insane.

They HAVE addressed the grind in Unholy Wars, the class system automatically does this because you no longer need every skill to compete only enough skills to fill one role. See? Grind slash by 75%.

People no longer macro in DF1.0, why would anyone have to macro in UW when you only need to level a portion before becoming competitive? I think you're out of touch of the massive skill gain boosts DF1.0 has been given. The launch grind doesn't exist even now.

AV has mentioned quiet a bit they've done apart from the graphics, you just need to do the research.

- World boss mobs

- Tierd epic dungeons with traps and interactive goodness

- Resource monoliths

- Land fortresses

- Lore and story into the game

- World completely redone

- New boats, models, animations, UI, roles

Even that off the top of my head is a lot more than just graphic updates.

And finally... they've already said IF YOU'VE PURCHASED 1.0, UNHOLY WARS IS FREE.

Pardon me, but you don't spend 2 years claiming to be remaking your game because "most people really liked it".

[mod edit] Most people that played the game liked it except for a few specific areas, the major complaints, of which I've shared, have been addressed.

Pardon me, but you don't spend 2 years claiming to be remaking your game because "most people really liked it".

[mod edit] Most people that played the game liked it except for a few specific areas, the major complaints, of which I've shared, have been addressed.

I'm a little confused, seeing as I read your post, hit quote and wrote my repsonce.  I changed nothing of what your wrote. 

I'm assuming you've played the "new game" to be able to say what has been addressed?  No you haven't. 

I guess it's easier to make unfounded claims then it is to actually back up what you say or provide a real counter arguement.  I don't blame you, once someone points out that most poeple who purchased the game quit playing it, it's hard to continue with the bit that most people really liked it.

Most people actually coudln't stand the game.  There's good reason for that, which is one of the reasons why they chose to make a "new game"; the other one obviously being that they couldn't fix the original; even Tasos admitted they couldn't fix it. 

I was curious, so I went and reread what you wrote.  Post number 7 in this thread you wrote:

That's interesting, looks exactly like what I quoted and responded too. 

Originally posted by Greymoor

No one is wanting Darkfall to be a completely different game, the PvP, siege conquest and combat is exactly what AV did right over so many games we see released these days. Unholy Wars is a lot more than graphic boost with new UI, it boasts to be user friendly, help new players get into the game, have a lot more content and objectives, new dungeons, the entire world remade to the point where you wouldn't recognise it anymore.

If you think the grind in DF is bad now, you're one of those players who wants an insta-maxed character, leveling takes roughly 2 weeks now the skill gains are insane.

They HAVE addressed the grind in Unholy Wars, the class system automatically does this because you no longer need every skill to compete only enough skills to fill one role. See? Grind slash by 75%.

People no longer macro in DF1.0, why would anyone have to macro in UW when you only need to level a portion before becoming competitive? I think you're out of touch of the massive skill gain boosts DF1.0 has been given. The launch grind doesn't exist even now.

AV has mentioned quiet a bit they've done apart from the graphics, you just need to do the research.

- World boss mobs

- Resource monoliths

- Land fortresses

And finally... they've already said IF YOU'VE PURCHASED 1.0, UNHOLY WARS IS FREE.

I want to clarify, I did play DF for around a year.  The whole, "role" thing, already exists.  You can be a meatsheild, or an archer, or a healer, or a buffer, that's all already there.  The problem is that it's most benefitial to you to be able to do ALL ROLES. 

That's taken directly from the new UW website, and pretty much exactly what they said about the current game. 

Without a cap, or some form of diminishing skill system the grind will always be there because the smartest thing to do will be to level as many skills as you can, just like now.

Also, I didn't write that it was JUST graphical updates.  However, AV has themselves stated that that's the bulk of what they're working on.  The video they just released repeated that several times.  Most of the stuff you pointed out, is already in the game.  Overland boss mobs already exist, as do dungeons.  I don't know what you mean by "land fortresses" but seiging is what the game is about, so that's nothing new. 

- World boss mobs

- Resource monoliths

- Land fortresses

I want to clarify, I did play DF for around a year.  The whole, "role" thing, already exists.  You can be a meatsheild, or an archer, or a healer, or a buffer, that's all already there.  The problem is that it's most benefitial to you to be able to do ALL ROLES. 

That's taken directly from the new UW website, and pretty much exactly what they said about the current game. 

Without a cap, or some form of diminishing skill system the grind will always be there because the smartest thing to do will be to level as many skills as you can, just like now.

Please, don't bother talking about things you don't understand/have no knowledge about. The role system is NOT like the current specialization system. It provides a hard cap limit to what you can use in combat.

Epic world boss mobs are very few at the moment, Fire Dragon, Ice Dragon, Demon. Adding a bunch more is an exciting prospect, large scale PvE goals will only add to the sandbox.

Yes... we have dungeons now. These dungeons are revamped, new, have traps, some will have more than one level inside them which we've been told you must unlock to eventually reach a boss.

Land Fortresses are not like sieging player cities, if they work like sea forts they will be timed capture the hill like events with chaos pvp and large rewards to be had.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    I was excited but it feels so long ago that they made the announcement so Darkfall has fallen of radar for me. ArcheAge is the future, Darkfall is the past.

Please, don't bother talking about things you don't understand/have no knowledge about. The role system is NOT like the current specialization system. It provides a hard cap limit to what you can use in combat.

Oh, you mean like how the gear change was supposed to limit what you could do based on what you were wearing so that the people that leveled everything didn't have an advantage over people who didn't?  Because people complained relentlessly, including myself, that the guys that were jack of all were better then the people that specialized? 

That didn't work either. 

Transference doesn't really work on a forum.  What you write is there to be read, so when you say something that isn't true it can be seen.  No amount of you trying to transfer your actions on to me makes you right, and me a troll. 

So please, allow to direct you back to were you claim I wasn't fully quoting you when I was, and then you exactly one post later quoting only a portion of my post. 

I'm sorry, I understand that it's hard to except that your assesment that "most people really liked DF" was wrong, but it is.  Most people didn't like the game.  That's why they decided to remake it about a year later, and why the very vast magority of people who purchased it stopped playing shortly after. 

I mean surely, Paragasus would still be blogging about the game every other week if it was that good. 

Originally posted by Yamota
    I was excited but it feels so long ago that they made the announcement so Darkfall has fallen of radar for me. ArcheAge is the future, Darkfall is the past.

Can't wait for Archeage, will be a great game I think. But it won't offer the experience Darkfall does, they will both be very different. (Announcement was today... just saying).

Epic world boss mobs are very few at the moment, Fire Dragon, Ice Dragon, Demon. Adding a bunch more is an exciting prospect, large scale PvE goals will only add to the sandbox.

Yes... we have dungeons now. These dungeons are revamped, new, have traps, some will have more than one level inside them which we've been told you must unlock to eventually reach a boss.

Land Fortresses are not like sieging player cities, if they work like sea forts they will be timed capture the hill like events with chaos pvp and large rewards to be had.

Believe me, I do understand that they are doing more then just graphical updates, I wasn't actually implying that was all they were doing. 

Mostly it's like this.

AV is doing the exact same thing, after 2 years, what CCP does about every 6 months, but AV is calling it a "new game".  It's as much a new game as inferno made EVe a new game.  It's primarilly graphical an UI updates, with some added gameplay and class revisions. 

I did forget something from your other responce.  You're the second person to state that they said people who already purchaed DF wouldn't have to buy UW.  You're going to have to provide a link for that because I've never seen them say that you wouldn't have to purchase the "new game".  I do recall them saying that you wouldn't have to buy 2010 or 2.0, but they weren't really pushing the "new game" aspect when they said that, they were still supposed to be expansions; not an entirely new game. 

I'm not saying that you will deffnetly have to repurchase, but prior experience with AV gives me the impress you will.  That's just a SPECULATION based on their past actions.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

I think for Darkfall 2.0 to succeed it is going to have to cater towards the casual player, as wolves need sheep to hunt.  I know I'm going to be branded as a heretic carebare but I will throw it out there anyways.

Darkfall needs to remove full loot, change gathering nodes to be harvested in seconds, not 10 minutes, and have more of them.  There needs to be localized resources, specific to the area with localized or even regionalized banking.  For the casual, dieing hurts to much and takes to long to recoup.  Basically, lessen the sting, have good PVE and the sheep will come.

Oh, you mean like how the gear change was supposed to limit what you could do based on what you were wearing so that the people that leveled everything didn't have an advantage over people who didn't?  Because people complained relentlessly, including myself, that the guys that were jack of all were better then the people that specialized? 

That didn't work either. 

That idea never got implemented, so I don't see how "that didn't work".

That idea has evolved into the roles system, and that's exactly how roles will work.

To the above, they would lose their entire core audience if they changed full loot. Full loot isn't even really that harsh if you're not dumb. The game has been made a lot more newbie friendly with Unholy War.

That didn't work either. 

That idea never got implemented, so I don't see how "that didn't work".

That idea has evolved into the roles system, and that's exactly how roles will work.

The hell it didn't get implimented.  They introduced penalties based on armour in one of the earlier patches that was supposed to make it so that people wearing heavy armour weren't running around throwing fireballs at people, and bring a level of specialization to the class.  It didnt' work.  People just started running around in bone armour, or whatever the popular medium class armour was, while still being the jack of all master of all class that the game promotes. 

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Hey Uhwop, relax man.. We get it, you don't like AV. But at least wait until we have seen some more info before bashing 2.0 completely. Right now you're kinda spamming bitter posts and it's starting to get annoying.
  • MelkrowMelkrow Member Posts: 278

Around gaming communities I follow DF 2.0 is getting a lot of ' can't wait ' responses. I would have thought the complete opposite would happen.What happened? I thought Darkfall was left to die at the side of the road. Why is the community suddenly excited for another game being developed by the same people?

I see you have some misconceptions about the whole thing. DF2.0, aka, Darkfall Unholy Wars, is not a NEW game, it's a continuation of the same game. It's true that Darkfall, the current version, was widely abandoned by the company when it comes to patching, and that is because they were working on DF 2.0. So once DF:UW launches, you will open your DF1.0 game like you normally would, then it will patch into DF:UW, so it is the same game... but really, so much has changed that it more like a new game. There are good numbers of "visual" changes, but the most profound changes come from gameplay mechanics. So when you see a world map, a character, gameplay of any sort, you will be able to immoderately say "That's Darkfall", unlike for example GW1 and GW2, where games are totally and absolutely different in every aspect.

Why we are excited about this game still when Darkfall 1.0 was abandoned for so long? Well because it promises to address all the grievances that the original game had, and then some, and those of us that played it for years are well aware just how MASSIVE those problems were and how much work it would take to fix them. Yes we're still pissed at Aventurine because they are highly unprofessional company, but at the same time we understand the work required to make Darkfall a perfect game as it should have been. So, at the end of the day, this is what it looks like a "darkfall dream come true", finally, and we are very excited about it. We have high and reasonable hope that they will deliver, deliver well, going by their track record. While they introduced very few patches and updates, whenever they did introduce things, they were always good and well thought out... just extremely slow.

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Played: Darkfall, EVE, AoC, Ryzom, Ragnarok Online, GW2, PS2, Secret World, WOW, City Of Heroes/Villains, Champion Online.
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Biskop
    Hey Uhwop, relax man.. We get it, you don't like AV. But at least wait until we have seen some more info before bashing 2.0 completely. Right now you're kinda spamming bitter posts and it's starting to get annoying.

Starting to....

This chap would be well advised to conserve some of his pain and hatred for the coming months. He is sure as shit gonna need it. We're in store for some good old fashioned Darkfall mayhem on the forums once again image

YeeeeeFuckingHaaaaa!

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb