Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Noobs Happen

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Guild Wars 2 has created a big splash in the MMO pond since it arrived a few weeks ago. Not only are fans of the original having a blast, but many new folks are joining in the fun. We've got a few things to say about n00bs that you won't want to miss. Read on!

Helping out is actually pretty common in the Guild Wars 2 community.  Sure, we have a good laugh but by helping out new players we may be helping create a great player.  The best way to help a new player is to answer their questions, even if it reminds you of the noob you used to be.  All it takes is a few moment to answer a question.  Someone’s asking how to craft, give them some info.  Someone’s asking where a certain NPC is, let them know.  Don’t just tell them to type in /dance, even though that response is very hilarious.  I’ve even seen players take that advice.  If you think it would help, send them over to the wiki pages.  Anything is better than nothing. 

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: Noobs Happen.

This spirit really was displaced, right into a tree.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210

clarification...

Newbs are new players that can learn to be good or even great players

N00bs are idiots that will never learn and will probably just be douchebags

imageimage

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    About 90% of the guild I'm in are newbs. I love having newbs though it makes things interesting. I know when swtor launched it was loaded with mmo newbs, they didn't understand the trinity and agro and just the basics, made for some interesting flashpoints with my combat medic working his butt off. I'm new to GW myself, one thing I'm struggling with is that I don't have that sense of control I felt as a healer in swtor and wow, or leadership role I felt as a jedi consular or prot pally. I play as a warrior in GW2, but I just feel irrelevant in most wvw battles and during world events.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    There's a good reason many of us didn't play GW1.  It was marketed as a PvP only game that wasn't really an open world MMO.  I'm actually suprised it was a popular as it was.
  • SpezzSpezz Member Posts: 141

Teach a man where to find cherries, and he will find cherries.

Teach a man to type /wiki cherry and he'll find all the information he needs.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    My experience with the GW2 community so far has been extremely positive, with only 1 or 2 exceptions. Here's hoping the @&;&'s and spoiled 12 year olds stay in other games.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    About 90% of the guild I'm in are newbs. I love having newbs though it makes things interesting. I know when swtor launched it was loaded with mmo newbs, they didn't understand the trinity and agro and just the basics, made for some interesting flashpoints with my combat medic working his butt off. I'm new to GW myself, one thing I'm struggling with is that I don't have that sense of control I felt as a healer in swtor and wow, or leadership role I felt as a jedi consular or prot pally. I play as a warrior in GW2, but I just feel irrelevant in most wvw battles and during world events.

You'll get there. :)

Being helpful to new players really is a basic courtesy that makes or breaks a community. That doesnt mean we must answer every stupid and rude question, but they are around, those new players with eyes full of wonder and little understanding how things work.

Besides, it is great to get a completely new player in a guild, then you can teach him or her up to play the way it fits your guild, which actually might be a lot harder with players who played a while and decide to play a certain way.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Spezz

Teach a man where to find cherries, and he will find cherries.

Teach a man to type /wiki cherry and he'll find all the information he needs.

Thats not exactly true, you can read all the wikis in the world but they wont beat your own experience. First time in a dungeon will be tough even if you read a lot of wikis, with a good and friendly group things are a lot easier.

Then again, maybe I just think so because I started long before wikis and built in maps.

• SealJuiceSealJuice Member Posts: 7

I am glad that poeple are helping out, but I fail to understand why someone asking a question is humorous to you. It's just a question. How is someone being new to a game funny?

I would think that to ensure a long-term healthy community with a constant influx of new players, we would want to create an environment that welcomes new players. As it is with any game. To snicker when someone asks for help is simply immature at best. 

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by SealJuice

I am glad that poeple are helping out, but I fail to understand why someone asking a question is humorous to you. It's just a question. How is someone being new to a game funny?

Maybe it is just a fond memory of how you, as a new player, stumbled upon the answer.

• SealJuiceSealJuice Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Originally posted by SealJuice

Maybe it is just a fond memory of how you, as a new player, stumbled upon the answer.

I could see that.

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    Reminds me of when I was playing EQ1 one day, and some noob got lost swimming in the Ocean of Tears.  Everyone told him in zone chat that there was a huge sea monster that would eventually track him down and kill him.  It was hilarious!!!  We eventuallly let him in on the joke, and got him back on track.
  • zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by nuttob
    Reminds me of when I was playing EQ1 one day, and some noob got lost swimming in the Ocean of Tears.  Everyone told him in zone chat that there was a huge sea monster that would eventually track him down and kill him.  It was hilarious!!!  We eventuallly let him in on the joke, and got him back on track.

Now that is hilarious!! ^

All in all good read and agree whole heartedly aspecially :

"it appears that many players are stepping up and lending a helping hand. Something I’ve very glad to see."

And thats way it should be. There have been a few communites/MMOs I stopped playing because the community was horride. Hell I remeber in vanilla wow,specificly when I was just starting in felwood,I had  gotten my self into trouble a few times (not knowing the area very well and wondering into danger) and a higher level player (passing by) would actually stop and help me out.

• krazzeekrazzee Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by nuttob

Oh there were most definitely monsters in the seas. More than once I was killed and lost my corpse due to sea monsters and underwater serpents. I kid not.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/Im/image/216156

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Lonesamurai1

clarification...

Great OP. But unfortunately I agree also with you. :-)

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955

If you see a player cornered by 4 enemies, go over and help them out. You can’t steal kills, you share them, so you aren’t hurting their progress.

Thus teaching them to do this in any other MMO they may try in the future in which the response they recieve will be a whole lot different to GW2, especially if they try it in a FFA PvP game :)

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Lonesamurai1

clarification...

Perfect example of n00bs: The guy who posted on here asking about long WvW queues and when everyone replied to try moving to a lower pop server he started raging and cursing everyone out , calling them idiots, and reporting them.

Those are usually way more fun to pick on than actually newbs.