Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall: Unholy Wars Announced

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Aventurine Studios has announced the next episode of Darkfall that has been in the works for the past two years. The expansion originally began as Darkfall 2010. With the massive number of changes and additions the team wanted to implement, it eventually evolved into a new game called Darkfall Unholy Wars. The team has released a new video giving insight into the new iteration of the PvP-centric game.

Darkfall: Unholy Wars is a fast-paced, PvP MMORPG with full loot. Players are called to form clans and battle for dominance across the seamless and open fantasy world of Agon. Recruit and train new warriors, conquer fortresses and clan cities, engage in epic land and naval battles with thousands of concurrent players and build powerful empires.

Find out more on the Darkfall Unholy Wars teaser site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Third thread going on this.  I think we need some amalgamation ;)

I didn't hear any details that would peak my interest to go back and try.  Nice to hear they are still chipping away though.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    nice to have an official post on this.
  • NormantisNormantis Member Posts: 26
    Excellent!  Looks good, will be keeping my eye on this. 
  • DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    I wanted Darkfall to be good in the worst way. I checked the site daily for years before they finally announced beta, which I was able to gLee part of. It was such a crushing let down for me its not even funny. I'll keep my expectations at the bottom of the barrel this time.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    If you are a sandbox player that loves hardcore owpwp then darkfall was great.  People that didn't like it either didn't like the hardcore pvp or didn't like the sandbox element.  The game itself was great.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    I love pvp and I love risk vs reward yet I disliked Darkfall. It just wasn't fun for me, period.

• evolpcevolpc Member UncommonPosts: 75
    I am so glad to hear this. Played Darkfall from launch until 6 months ago. I miss many of the elements that a game like Darkfall can provide that a game like GW2 just can't. Although until Darkfall Unholy Wars launches I will be thoroughly enjoying GW2 and TSW.
  • zimikezimike Member UncommonPosts: 160

I had so many good memories playing Darkfall... the PVP ... exploring, running for hours just to get halfway across the huge world.. the fear .. the sound of your heart pounding in your chest when a group of 'reds' start to pursue you and you run for your life... the epic loot. 

Everything had value and more important... 'people had value'. Once they took the value of being a person away in games, they took away our humanity. People should be able to choose right from wrong, not be forced to walk a liner path the the game defines for you.

The only reason I stopped playing, was because I had close friends who couldn't handle the PVP full loot system. Due to pear pressure, I decided to move on to more theme park based MMO's. Even though I play GW2 right now, my heart still belongs to Darkfall. 

The only thing holding me back from playing Darkfall right now, is the release of Darkfall 2.0.

Sorry for my rambling. Normally I do not make posts, I read them, but Darkfall brings strong emotions to the surface. If bigger companies do not take a chance and invest in games like Darkfall, then I feel the MMO market will crash. People want to be respected, honored, or feared. They do not want to hit max level and spend endless hours as a drone mashing buttons just to get the next set of raid gear(well maybe some). 

Alright I'll stop before I start contradicting myself or something.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228
    better late that never

BestSigEver :P

• TobiasGreyTobiasGrey Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by Badaboom

Third thread going on this.  I think we need some amalgamation ;)

I didn't hear any details that would peak my interest to go back and try.  Nice to hear they are still chipping away though.

What sort of details would interest you, out of curiosity?

Originally posted by Deathenger
    I love pvp and I love risk vs reward yet I disliked Darkfall. It just wasn't fun for me, period.

Why?

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802

I'm glad they're making the game far more accessable and easier to pick up for more casual players or people who struggle to get into Darkfall atm due to shit UI.

Class system

New shiny looking UI

More updated graphics

New player friendly

But at the heart of it the game still has that brutal full loot fps pvp with conquest!

<3 AV for doing this

• rafikosrafikos Member Posts: 33
    Good news :)
  • CrucialCrucial Member UncommonPosts: 29
  • DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by Deathenger

I love to know what games you like that had these elements...

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    I have to admit ... I am keeping an eye on this. Some of the changes trickling in sound decent. One thing I hope for is a far better and more fully fleshed out PVE aspect to the game. I have said this SO many times, good PVE is the biggest driving factor to PVP ... you need something to fight over and nothing is better than a living, breathing fantasy world.

You stay sassy!

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

About time! With GW2's themepark ride slowing down, I badly need a sandbox game to get back in to. Darkfall always was great, and if DUW solves the key issues the orginial game suffered from (GUI, ect.), I'm sure this could be a succes.

The MMO industry needs sandbox games like Darkfall to be succesful, unless we want to keep playing themeparks. I just hope Aventurine can pull it off...

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Such lies. This company did nothing but lead people on, and hide the real truth to keep them subbed. DF 1.0 was a proof of concept game only. Just over 3 years ago AV went off to Asia to find funding for DF 2.0! For the days they had interested investors looks at the game they made sure there were players by activating all accounts for 3 days with fast skill gains.

Before that Tasos was leading players on pretending DF 2010 to be a big expansion for about over a year before DF 2.0 being a new game came to light, along with a character wipe being a possibility .

There never was a 2010 expansion that become 2.0, they knew all along 2.0 was going to be a new game that they needed to raise funds for from the proof of concept they were at with DF. Of course it wouldn't take AV 5 years again since most of that time was creating the engine.

Look at Tasos body language , arms folded ,leaning forward with very little hands movement! The classic signs of somebody knowing what they're saying isn't true. His well known for BS's about things by the old DF community.

Originally posted by IAmMMO

Such lies. This company did nothing but lead people on and hide the real truth to keep them subbed. DF 1.0 was a proof of concept game only. Just over 3 years ago AV went off to Asia to find funding for DF 2.0! For the days they had interested investors looks at the game they made sure there were players by activating all accounts for 3 days with fast skill gains.

Before that he was leading players on pretending DF 2010 be an expansion that was getting forever bigger for about over a year before DF 2.0 being a new game came to light, along with a character wipe being a possibility .

There never was a 2010 expansion that become 2.0, they knew all along 2.0 was going to be a new game they needed to raised funds for from the proof of concept they were at. Of course it wouldn't take them 5 years again, as most of that was creating the engine.

Look at Tasos body language , arms folded ,leaning forward with very little hands movement, the classic signs of somebody knowing what they're saying isn't true. His well known for BS's about things to old DF community.

What does this have to do with how the game will ultimately be like? I'd also like to know how a struggling indie company can have solid plans over 2 or more years without altering intent. I would bet their plans changed monthly. Also note I absolutely hated the first version of the game due to failed concepts and the actual community (likely the worst ever created in any game ever ... and this was before it was even launched).

You stay sassy!

• TobiasGreyTobiasGrey Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by IAmMMO

Such lies. This company did nothing but lead people on, and hide the real truth to keep them subbed. DF 1.0 was a proof of concept game only. Do you even know what that means? Doesn't change the fact that it was an awesome game that they supported with 70 patches and 3 free expansions. Just over 3 years ago AV went off to Asia to find funding for DF 2.0! Actually, they did that about 4 months ago, and it was for publishing 2.0 in Asia, not funding its development. For the days they had interested investors looks at the game they made sure there were players by activating all accounts for 3 days with fast skill gains.

Before that Tasos was leading players on pretending DF 2010 to be a big expansion It was a big expansion. Plans change in game development all the time. There have even been players who went to Greece and got to play it. for about over a year before DF 2.0 being a new game came to light, along with a character wipe being a possibility .

There never was a 2010 expansion that become 2.0,Wrong.  they knew all along 2.0 was going to be a new game Did you talk to them about this? Source? All other sources say you're wrong.  that they needed to raise funds for from the proof of concept they were at with DF. Of course it wouldn't take AV 5 years again since most of that time was creating the engine.

Look at Tasos body language , arms folded ,leaning forward with very little hands movement! The classic signs of somebody knowing what they're saying isn't true. His well known for BS's about things by the old DF community. You mean, the way he's acted in every video interview he's ever given?

You vaportrolls never went away I guess. You see conspiracy theories around every corner it seems. It's just amazing that some people are still this jaded about the fact that Darkfall turned out to be a real game that they continually invent BS and try to pass it off as fact.

• DrigusDrigus Member CommonPosts: 50
    I'd like to see the game go f2p. Imagine the chaos that it would bring.
  • RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by Tamanous

What does this have to do with how the game will ultimately be like? I'd also like to know how a struggling indie company can have solid plans over 2 or more years without altering intent. I would bet their plans changed monthly. Also note I absolutely hated the first version of the game due to failed concepts and the actual community (likely the worst ever created in any game ever ... and this was before it was even launched).

DF's community might seem harsh especially on the official forums, but atleast it had a community. Clan politics really helped build a strong community ingame. I have not seen anything like it in themeparks, the community aspect of an MMO these days seems limited to sandbox games only, where players care about their image; for good or wrong.

I'm currently playing GW2, and I'm shocked about the 'community' it has. Nothing but whining kids and players with horrible attitudes, fed by the last generations of themeparks and console games. Most players don't even talk to eachother, everyone just uses eachother as a means to obtain pixels... Horrible.

I'd take DF's community any day (granted the past few months most players quit in wait for 2.0, so I'm speaking of the time before that).

• evolpcevolpc Member UncommonPosts: 75
    What I am interested to see is how the current subscribers handle the change. Particularly in that the current political leaders consist of the best of what is left after most of the best players left the game. These players that have become accustomed to ruling an empty Agon may find themselves fighting each other for table scraps while being crushed under the heels of new and returning players. Should be very interesting indeed. And this very scenario is one that can only truly arise and have any significant consenquence within a game like Darkfall. I love the risk/ reward. There is no replacement for that feeling that you are never truly safe anywhere and that at any minute someone may take what you have.
    Originally posted by raapnaap

I'd take DF's community any day (granted the past few months most players quit in wait for 2.0, so I'm speaking of the time before that).

A bad community has nearly nothing to do with the game though. In 13 years of playing mmo's I found that the primary and nearly only factor determining a friendly community is how large the community is. There are too many sides to viewpoints within a large community and arguments go nowhere because there is zero fear from social ostracization as someone always has your back. Most people strongly limit the measure of their opinion within a strong community and even though opinions may not align, their ultimate goal (the enjoyment and hope for success of a game) is the same. When mob mentality takes over that is all lost.

GW2 is no different. It is too new to form an actual in game community yet, it is full of players trained in the modern, cynical forum methodology and the online vocal component drowns out the in game social voice. It isn't the game ... it is the modern forum structure. Otherwise why does such a low percentage use fan sites and actual server/shard boards? Once you post in forums you are exposed to a tight knit community and most posters are too spineless to do so.

Originally posted by evolpc
    What I am interested to see is how the current subscribers handle the change.

It definitely has to do with how the company manages the change and how they sold their previous product. It is actually easy for a company to brainwash (I mean market :) ) their community if done right. Convince them their product is the only niche mmo that will meet their needs and that the change is to experience what they most love in an even better version.

I personally believe this is the trick developers should be doing these days instead of making sequels. Sequels are NOT the game their fans fell in love with no matter how you look at it. It is a different game from the ground up on all accounts. Different time lines, different classes typically, different lore (usually lore breaking) etc.

Everquest fans fell in love with Everquest ... not EQ2 which was entirely different.

Asheron's Call fans fell in love with AC ... not AC2 which was an EQ clone attempt.

My example which I've given many times over the years is that Turbine (and other developers) should revamp and re-issue their original product if it is now aged and, by todays standards, had a small community where plenty of new players can be drawn into it. Turbine could easily bring back AC if 'most' of the original concept is preserved but engineer it to be and AC reborn type game base on new tech. Sort of an "AC Advanced" type of thing.

Every Asheron's Call player who I know who loved the game simply wants to re-enter the same world but up to date with todays tech. So much contect exists and is wasted if redone from ground up. New mechanics is all that is required along with some new ideas new tech can easily support. Old AC players want to experience their first Olthoi hunt again, their first Lugian and shadow battles and to explore the vast non-instances world with new beautiful graphics. They do NOT want to play a new story line 500 years in the future. The same can be said with many other games.

Why companies do not do this more is beyond me. Preserving the IP should be their number one goal. Hell Lotr sure does it well ... so much so you can barely even get a license for it. Aventurine can do it if done right ... so can Turbine, so can *ahem* Sony etc.

You stay sassy!

• JaszJasz Member UncommonPosts: 67

I am a member of this DF community.

We take care of ourselves. We police ourselves. We care about our reputation because it is important in this game.

If you want meaningless BS with other players go play WoW and listen to barrens chat. If you want to have a connection with the people around you play DFUW. In these sandbox games your name means as much as your skill.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by Tamanous
    Originally posted by raapnaap

A bad community has nearly nothing to do with the game though. In 13 years of playing mmo's I found that the primary and nearly only factor determining a friendly community is how large the community is. There are too many sides to viewpoints within a large community and arguments go nowhere because there is zero fear from social ostracization as someone always has your back. Most people strongly limit the measure of their opinion within a strong community and even though opinions may not align, their ultimate goal (the enjoyment and hope for success of a game) is the same. When mob mentality takes over that is all lost.

GW2 is no different. It is too new to form an actual in game community yet, it is full of players trained in the modern, cynical forum methodology and the online vocal component drowns out the in game social voice. It isn't the game ... it is the modern forum structure. Otherwise why does such a low percentage use fan sites and actual server/shard boards? Once you post in forums you are exposed to a tight knit community and most posters are too spineless to do so.

Originally posted by evolpc
    What I am interested to see is how the current subscribers handle the change.

It definitely has to do with how the company manages the change and how they sold their previous product. It is actually easy for a company to brainwash (I mean market :) ) their community if done right. Convince them their product is the only niche mmo that will meet their needs and that the change is to experience what they most love in an even better version.

I personally believe this is the trick developers should be doing these days instead of making sequels. Sequels are NOT the game their fans fell in love with no matter how you look at it. It is a different game from the ground up on all accounts. Different time lines, different classes typically, different lore (usually lore breaking) etc.

Everquest fans fell in love with Everquest ... not EQ2 which was entirely different.

Asheron's Call fans fell in love with AC ... not AC2 which was an EQ clone attempt.

My example which I've given many times over the years is that Turbine (and other developers) should revamp and re-issue their original product if it is now aged and, by todays standards, had a small community where plenty of new players can be drawn into it. Turbine could easily bring back AC if 'most' of the original concept is preserved but engineer it to be and AC reborn type game base on new tech. Sort of an "AC Advanced" type of thing.

Every Asheron's Call player who I know who loved the game simply wants to re-enter the same world but up to date with todays tech. So much contect exists and is wasted if redone from ground up. New mechanics is all that is required along with some new ideas new tech can easily support. Old AC players want to experience their first Olthoi hunt again, their first Lugian and shadow battles and to explore the vast non-instances world with new beautiful graphics. They do NOT want to play a new story line 500 years in the future. The same can be said with many other games.

Why companies do not do this more is beyond me. Preserving the IP should be their number one goal. Hell Lotr sure does it well ... so much so you can barely even get a license for it. Aventurine can do it if done right ... so can Turbine, so can *ahem* Sony etc.

Very well put my friend I loved asheron call1 played it since beta for 7 years, and came back on and off through the years...

Being a newer Game Designer this is a plan of mine is to bring back a form of AC one day in another type of game, but with the same feel, today we are missing that as thats why I have gotten in game design more so because I see so many companies who miss the point here and/or don't game enough  or at all to know what we want.