Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I notice not a lot of "Genre is Dead" threads since Guild Wars 2 came out

2»

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Actually if you look more closely you will see that we naysayers and bittervets are still out there and have been spreading our message, just perhaps with some more creative titles.

Whew.

Second poster nailed it.  OP observed a phenomena, posted one possible explanation, choosing to ignore dozens (possibly hundreds) of others.

We all make a habit of conclusion-jumping.  Not much supporting-data-collection before running straight to the boards to begin the yackyack.  Doom prophets see everything observed as proof of the genre dying, Fans of Game X believe in a miracle due to game X, Fans of Game Y of course vehemently disagree.

And we all polish another bit of dust from the crystal balls.

But op's right about one thing; we're at least seeing far more people that are a least a fan of something more than their own written word.  Works for me, whatever's causing it.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Originally posted by rungard
    i think as the mainstream mmo playerbase "matures" they yearn for more indepth games with greater challenge.

Biggest load of bullshit I've read in a long time.

Ha! At least your honest.

We shall see i guess...

pve themepark--->pve themepark with seperate rvr/pvp----> sandbox with themepark elements and seperatepvp/rvr

and finally sandbox with themepark elements and integrated pvp.

each step a little more challenging environment than the last.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by MMOExposed
    I notice not a lot of "Genre is Dead" threads since Guild Wars 2 came out. anybody else notice this? could it be GW2 lives up to the hype and gave people what they wanted from the genre finally?

Nope. But with the short attention span of people around here, I can see how you came up with that conclusion.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by maplestone
     If the forums are wall-to-wall diehard bittervvets then my interpretation would be that all the people capable of being entertained are off being entertained.

As they always are during slow release periods?

That's when the doom treatises are extra-long and footnoted, with complete glossaries.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

I actually think GW2 did a pretty good job.

I like pve with mini goals along the way.... usually the mini goal is to be at the top of the bracket's pvp field (DAoC, WoW, WAR), but this game has decent pve mini goals so I don't mind leveling as much.

Last night I only got 40% of Lornar's pass done in about 4 hours....

Seems reasonable content wise.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Actually if you look more closely you will see that we naysayers and bittervets are still out there and have been spreading our message, just perhaps with some more creative titles.

Probably hard to notice with the almost nauseating number of GW2 threads we have had to suffer through the past few months.

I am looking forward to the 28th just so perhaps people will talk about something else

Might as well be consistent, GW2 didn't bring much to the genre that I was looking for hence my return to EVE until the MMORPG Dark Ages end.

Yeah, they're still there allright. But what happens on 28th?

I got the date wrong, meant the 25th when MOP launches. 

Anything for new material here.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Justin83xJustin83x Member Posts: 406
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

-Lets also take into consideration the Mayan Calander which ends on Dec 21st of this year and will certainly be the end of civilization. Yes, GW2 PROBABLY has the power to save mankind from this evil mayan curse- But in these uncertain times it isnt worth wasting the time to level up a guy only to have the Universe go through a server reset anyhow.

Its just not practical bro-

Thats funny shit.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Whew.

Second poster nailed it.  OP observed a phenomena, posted one possible explanation, choosing to ignore dozens (possibly hundreds) of others.

We all make a habit of conclusion-jumping.  Not much supporting-data-collection before running straight to the boards to begin the yackyack.  Doom prophets see everything observed as proof of the genre dying, Fans of Game X believe in a miracle due to game X, Fans of Game Y of course vehemently disagree.

But op's right about one thing; we're at least seeing far more people that are a least a fan of something more than their own written word.  Works for me, whatever's causing it.

Oh c'mon now, you follow the forums, you know the OP makes his claim to fame creating threads like these, conclusion jumping based on limited information and off based assumptions are almost trademarks of his.

I will agree though, haven't seen a recent title make so many folks happy as ANET/GW2 has, definitely did something right there.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Ghost12Ghost12 Member Posts: 684
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Whew.

Oh c'mon now, you follow the forums, you know the OP makes his claim to fame creating threads like these, conclusion jumping based on limited information and off based assumptions are almost trademarks of his.

I will agree though, haven't seen a recent title make so many folks happy as ANET/GW2 has, definitely did something right there.

I agree that I havent seen a recent title stir up so much excitement as GW2 in awhile,

But I've also never seen a recent title draw up so much hype and fanaticism. GW2 must have broken past the hype during TOR's release.

A thread like this is ridiculous. GW2 has only been out what, 3 weeks and we're already going to say, "Well, looks like the naysayers have finally been proven wrong".

I've played GW2 and personally its not for me. If anything, it ruins the genre even more for me. Its almost just as bad as TOR.

Lets come back after another 90 days and see what people have to say.

And I'd like to emphasize again, never EVER did I see a title draw up so much fanaticism as GW2.

• GeadinGeadin Member UncommonPosts: 17
    That is because everybody is bored with videogames and have gone back to there childhood roots. And have been watching every episode of Pound Puppies.. And Magic School Bus.
  • GrimmxGrimmx Member UncommonPosts: 189

GW2 actually ended up having less appeal for me than earlier titles this year. I think i played a total of 2 weeks before i was bored by PVE. Im not even going to comment the "pvp"...

Right now im so bored i started a new char in SWTOR waiting for something better to happen. (a pity Baldurs Gate was postponed)

When it comes to GW2 it will be less popular as soon as people figure out its nothing special. Offcours its free, so all the kids that earn no money will keep playing it.

/bored

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by gordiflu
    Originally posted by rungard
    i think as the mainstream mmo playerbase "matures" they yearn for more indepth games with greater challenge. The time for worlds is at hand and neither a pure themepark or sandbox will be enough for players.

The mainstream mmo playerbase is already mature. The majority of MMO players are over 30.

You think age equals maturity.  That's so cute.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Possible reasons are:

1. They got locked / deleted by mods because the mod "felt" that it wasn't a worthy discussion

2. They saw what the future of MMO has become and have left in disgust

3. They finally got a job / girlfriend

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

I notice not a lot of "Genre is Dead" threads since Guild Wars 2 came out.

anybody else notice this?

could it be GW2 lives up to the hype and gave people what they wanted from the genre finally?

Seen that sentence ever since post WoW.

Actually didn't notice them much since GW2 to be honost.