Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall: Unholy Wars

ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448

A day late, but here's the news they were teasing about... Can they deliver? Who knows...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T8FuVGXEMw&feature=youtu.be&a

Comments

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

You just beat me to it.

Announcement comes even with ETA ! (ery unusual for AV)

Darkfall: Unholy Wars will be available for PC, via digital download, on November 20, 2012.

SO DF2  = DF Unholy Wars ...this must be the  5th rename yet.

Still no idea what Unholy wars contains.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• SluskeSluske Member UncommonPosts: 56

Darkfall has the potential of beeing one hell of a game.

One can only hope.

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308
    The savior of the MMORPG genre? I think so.

Hi

• FondelFondel Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Finally some good news to the MMO genre ! Go Darkfall!
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

You both beat me to it. Just saw the video pop up on my feeds.

By the way, is it just me or does Tasos looks pretty buff? And I always thought Tasos was the CEO of AV, not this Zad Mehdawi guy

On the game itself though, seems they did work on the graphics, as well as the sky (there's a very brief moment where you see moving clouds). The GUI I'm not sure how intuitive it is, I'd have to try it out to know if I'd like it or not (a bit like the GUI for Skyrim, it's a love/hate relationship). They haven't really shown anything else in the video however, so I'll reserved judgement until later.

Now, how many times will they delay the launch, and how buggy the launch will be is what I'm wondering about. They're not doing any beta test it seems, so this could definitively go both ways.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Crazy. Wasn't expecting to be jumping back in Agon so soon. Great news, thanks for sharing.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

I wonder if the new title will go through the same "limited launch" / slow ramp up that DF did?

Also, will they start out with only one server, in the EU, and roll out a NA server later (if at all).

We'll find out in time I'm sure.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

About time...

Now, when is beta? 2 months from a supposed release with no beta in sight, this could be history repeating itself (DF launched with exploits that crippled the game for years).

And ofcourse there is the issue of, what happens to 'DF 1.0'? We still got no information regarding wipes of current characters and such. I'm actually hoping they do a wipe, but recognise former and long term players somehow. This comes from someone with 2 accounts, one on each server, with an EU bank worth millions of gold in materials and assets; A fresh start will do no one harm.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

I left the below comment on the video as well:

Instead of fun hulks, we get really really fun hulks? Felt like I was watching an infomercial and you have to wait to the? end to get the punch line, except it never came. I want to know what the core gameplay will be like in this "new game?" Is it still FFA, full loot? Hard or soft cap? Regional resources?

I've left and havent looked back until now.  Do we know any of the things I mentioned or have any other info on this release?

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Looks promising, hope they don't fuck up this time around. To me it would be enough with a better skill system, more sandbox tools and some improved animations - DF 1 is a good game but it's gimped by some deep core issues. Fix those = awesome game.

And yeah, Tasos has been spending some time in the gym instead of doing updates, lol
  • KatlaOdindottirKatlaOdindottir Member Posts: 144
    A brief reading of the law, Dwarfs have been destroyed and Alfars taken over, 2 new races I think, not too sure! so excited!  you can download loads of info on the site! http://darkfallonline.com/uw/

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

I feel bad for the people that actually think this is a new game.  CCP has been updating their art assets for years, they don't charge us for it, they don't bill it as a "new" game, they don't even take two years to do it. 

Just like they charged people for a box to play on the NA server, they'll be charging people for this as well.  It'll play just like it already does, it'll still be a bunch of grinding and macroing. 

This is just another way for them to charge people once more for a game they already purchased.  This seems to be the only thing AV is actually good at, finding ways to keep people paying for a product they already paid for.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I wonder if the new title will go through the same "limited launch" / slow ramp up that DF did?

Also, will they start out with only one server, in the EU, and roll out a NA server later (if at all).

I don't think there will be any changes to the servers, they'll just be updated with 2.0. Since accounts are tied to either NA or EU servers by different client, they'd have to be insane to roll back to 1 server. However, I wonder if they will charge for the new client...now they'd be insane if they did.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    For me Darkfall took too much time to do anything.  I don't have the time I once did for gaming so Darkfall would need to be more casual friendly.  That's fine if Darkfall chooses not to go down that road, as hardcore gamers need games that cater to their needs as well.  
  • DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

I like how they just keep renaming this supposed expansion instead of actually releasing anything. 

Its been like 3 years now right?

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308

If you haters actually watched the video you would know he explains the reason for the delays and the transition from an expansion to a releases as well as the name changes.

Darkfall 2.0 was just a placeholder name. 

Haters gonna hate, themselves more than anything else.

Hi

• FondelFondel Member UncommonPosts: 98
    For me the rerelease of orginal darkfall would be enought, but this is BIG. Great news for the dying MMORPG genre ! WoWbears gonna hate, but Darkfall is even at its current state the best MMO avaible.
  • UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by MadnessRealm
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I don't think there will be any changes to the servers, they'll just be updated with 2.0. Since accounts are tied to either NA or EU servers by different client, they'd have to be insane to roll back to 1 server. However, I wonder if they will charge for the new client...now they'd be insane if they did.

"new game".  It's a NEW game.  It's not darkfall from what they're saying, it's an entirely new game.  They even said that the world has been completely changed, however they mean that.

I can't see them updating the current servers, because the way they're pitching this as a new game it sounds an awful lot like you'll have to buy this new game.  This doesn't sound like something they can update the current servers for.

It also gives me the impression that they'll keep the current darkfall running for a bit after the new version launches.  I think people expecting to just log into the game one day and finding that it's simply been "updated" are going to be incredibly dissapointed.  The fact they haven't even touched on whether or not things will carry over seems a pretty clear indication that they won't because it's not being pushed as the same game but a new one.

No dwarfs as someone pointed out?  No sir, you'll be buying a new client, and playing on new servers when this launches.  The real question I think is, what is the plan for darkfall when this launches?  Will they keep it up and running?  If so, for how long?  Will they simply shut it down?  How will they handle getting people to switch over if they need to buy a new client? 

I honestly don't see this going any better then the first launch did.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Interesting. Bought this game a few years back. Do you guys know if this will stay subscription based?
  • BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    @ Uhwop

It has been stated numerous times that ppl who have bought DF1 will get DF2 free of charge.
  • GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802
    Originally posted by Biskop
    @ Uhwop

It has been stated numerous times that ppl who have bought DF1 will get DF2 free of charge.

This.

• ChaosChestChaosChest Member UncommonPosts: 97

They have 100000 things to test and balance and tweak  from ignoring the original game all of these years plus anything that they added/changed in UW but they have already released a DATE just 2 months from now??  Not even announcing a beta date first?? REALLY strange.

This GUI the players havent even SEEN yet. There is a 3 second clip of inventory in the youtube video. And this release is in 2 months.

Once players realize that this isnt a "new" game but just an expansion with the same ole problems of the originally I dont think they will stay around and keep paying monthly to play it.  AV wil have to fix,tweak,balance a lot of issues with the game AND add a TON of content for it to have any chance of success.

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by ironhelix

A day late, but here's the news they were teasing about... Can they deliver? Who knows...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T8FuVGXEMw&feature=youtu.be&a

This may be the only game that could stop me playing GW2!

• KatlaOdindottirKatlaOdindottir Member Posts: 144
    goto 5 minutes in the video you can see the Gui slightly! and really encouaging what the designer says about it being easy to update etc, sounds awesome! so glad they outsourced it :D

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802
    Originally posted by ChaosChest

They have 100000 things to test and balance and tweak  from ignoring the original game all of these years plus anything that they added/changed in UW but they have already released a DATE just 2 months from now??  Not even announcing a beta date first?? REALLY strange.

This GUI the players havent even SEEN yet. There is a 3 second clip of inventory in the youtube video. And this release is in 2 months.

Once players realize that this isnt a "new" game but just an expansion with the same ole problems of the originally I dont think they will stay around and keep paying monthly to play it.  AV wil have to fix,tweak,balance a lot of issues with the game AND add a TON of content for it to have any chance of success.

You can't see the bigger picture here?

100000 things to test and balance, 2 months until release, no beta announced yet. They've been in-house testing probably for a while now, this is AV's way keep it hush hush until something is actually there and functions decently. Unlike other games.. *cough MO *cough.

They've clearly stated they stopped working on the original a long time ago because of the development of UW.

New UI, new world, more content, class system. Doesn't sound like all the old problems are going to be there lol,