Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

simple solution for coh/cov

2»

Comments

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

If UO can stay up, if LOTRO can stay alive, if DnDO can stay up, if godforsaken Champs online can keep going and that abortion of a game STO isn't shut down, then CoH should stay alive.  It's even better than Aion, which gets mergers instead of shutting down.

There are still thousands of actual premium subscribers, and thousands more that spend a little in the paragon market.  If there was just one server it would be busting at the seams.  It costs only a little to keep a server going in service mode, ncsoft just doesn't want it stinking up their new business model of pretending they are the gods of mmo.  Too bad for them aion is garbage and GW2 fun wears off quickly. 

Any of you who think you know something and are spouting off crap reasons why they can't keep it running really know nothing.  I'll bump this when certain news is confirmed, but the theories of what's going on with ncsoft in general have been posted a couple times now.  I won't regurgitate them. 

If you don't like the game, move on.  It's tasteless to troll the topics of an mmo being shut down that has thousands of fans that have dedicated so much of their time and money to it.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Omnifish
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by Omnifish
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

I'm still wondering why they shut it down.  After some thought I can only come to 2 conclusions.

1.  The game was not able to pay it's bills.  To me this seems unlikely.  It seemed (IMO anyway) to be very stable up to the f2p piont with ~150k subsribers and seemed to be that way for many years.  I didn't play the f2p one, but I can't see it doing so badly that it lost all those or a majority of those players.

2.  They decided to use the resources that this game took and deploy them in another area that they believe will make more of a profit.  To me this seems the more likely because again, I don't think it was doing badly.

Unfortunately either way, you'd have some convincing to do to explain to them that it is worth the resources to keep this game going vs deploying them somewhere else.

It does help that Paragon Studios are aiding in  the efforts to keep the game going. They know more about the state of the game than the players do. That should also speak volumes to EVERYONE that the game should really not be shutting down, and not only puts people off NC Soft, but also other MMOs by other companies. If companies see that NC Soft got away with shutting down CoH, then other comapnies will do the same with their MMOs, and all MMOs will be at risk of shutting down, even if doing well. MMOs will only really be safe for about a year, then after that and you have not played it, no point getting stuck into them then, as may get shut down before you have gotten the most out of it.

One of the options they are seeking is selling the game, and if that happens, then Pargaon Studios may still be out of work, unless the new company wants to take on Pargaon Studios.

The game may have been out of about 8 years, but has only been F2P for a year, which no doubt attracted more new people.

This really shouldn't be difficult to understand but NCSOFT are shuting COH down because either it wasn't turning a profit or they couldn't find a way with how the game is for it to be profitable again.  That's about it.

They don't owe anything to you or me or the industry to keep something going which isn't profitable to their company.

The F2P model was a disaster, the game was too old and haggard to attract new players long term and old players were put off from trying it by how much they had to fork out to play a game they'd left behind.  F2P is a cash grab for most former P2P games, COH simply didn't have enough to hook people to pay up long term. 

Honestly I wish people would just let this one go, I enjoyed the game for about two years but most people up in arms about this aren't current players, just those wearing rose tinted specs. Time to move on.

It only gets difficult when people like you keep spewing BS, because you are completely clueless

The game should not be shutting down, and the proof is that Paragon Studios themselves are helping in saving CoH

They know better than you or I whether it is profitable or not, and if it was a lost cause in being saved, they would not go out of their way to save it, and just concentrate on the closure. They have not even officially announced the close date yet, let alone started work on end game events.

Just because you do not like it, does not mean there is need to trash it for everyone else, and if this goes ahead then maybe your favourite game will shut down too, despite being popular, and seemingly turning a profit.

GW2 has no subscription package what so ever, and relies soley on people buying from the stor, but people who do play it have said they can play it easily without buying anything. City of Heroes need tio buy stuff to make it playable.

GW2 with 2 million players paying $0 is less profitable than Coh with 15K people spending at least $5 in the store or subbing.

[mod edit]

I'll move on when Paragon Studios moves on. You do not know how many subs/cs purchases COH needs to be a profitable venture either, but I trust Pargaon Studios do, and they are doing everything to help save COH, which they would not do, if it was a lost cause.

They are looking for work, as preparing for the worst. If they rely on the hope that COH will be saved, then they will be totally out of work. If COH is saved they will not need new work

Also I think this thread is for you, Mr Omni'Negativity'Fish

• OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284
    Originally posted by Gruug

F2P, as it is called, is suppose to SAVE all MMO's. Why did it not work with CoH?

They got their business model wrong. They should have let go of the idea of subscriptions and gone with a true f2p model. The model they went with overemphasized subscribing while putting too many restrictions on free players, causing them to quit instead of subscribe.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by OSF8759
    Originally posted by Gruug

F2P, as it is called, is suppose to SAVE all MMO's. Why did it not work with CoH?

They got their business model wrong. They should have let go of the idea of subscriptions and gone with a true f2p model. The model they went with overemphasized subscribing while putting too many restrictions on free players, causing them to quit instead of subscribe.

Subscription models worked in the past, and guess what? They still do. I don't constantly flit from game to game hunting the next "big thing". I have no problem paying a flat monthly fee (less than a movie and soda) to have the whole game open to me. Nor do I begrudge the operators their cash shop, helping the game's profitability while feeding the players' desire for new looks and options.