Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PS2 is a Disappointment

13»

Comments

• itsbigmikeitsbigmike Member Posts: 86
    Not trying to flame or anything, I didn't play planet side 1 so I dont Know what was expected, but I started playing last night and how I would describe the game is a large scale nonstop game of battlfield. I'm enjoying it thoroughly so far, is there more than the one map? Didn't see any way to swap maps but I'm guessing there would have to be once populations rise

twitch.tv/boonmackle

• LorkiiLorkii Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by itsbigmike
    Not trying to flame or anything, I didn't play planet side 1 so I dont Know what was expected, but I started playing last night and how I would describe the game is a large scale nonstop game of battlfield. I'm enjoying it thoroughly so far, is there more than the one map? Didn't see any way to swap maps but I'm guessing there would have to be once populations rise

There are 3 continents to fight over. The other 2 we haven t tested yet, I think the snowy one is next. There will also be a jungle type continent.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

These are some of the most scattered opinions I've ever seen for a game.  Many think it's the worst game in the history of gaming and others love it.  Every one guy said the graphics were really poor.  Just looking at videos, he must be playing a different game..as these are pretty impressive graphics.

I see many saying that PS2 is nothing like PS1 and they wish it was, but they aren't giving examples.  I didn't play PS1, what are the major differences?

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    I have mixed feelings... It's clearly a dumbed down planetside, but is still more fun than most of the regurgitated FPS garbage out there currently. Graphics seem fin, but I don't have that good a rig anyway so those with super high end systems may not be inpressed. It is what it is. You people have been bending over and taking it like good little sheep for so long, and then you complain when you get exactly what market research shows you want. People want things dumbed down because this current generation couldn't collectively learn to tie it's shoes.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by UsualSuspect
    Originally posted by Omali

They opened the NDA to get a lot more feedback. John Smedley has stated that the game may change radically by the time it is actually ready for release, and they want the community to shape how the game develops.

Like Bioware did with Star Wars: The Old Republic, you mean? Yeah, because that worked out really well for them.

But there is a difference. The Old Republic was end-of-life beta testing, to find bugs/balance/etc. Planetside 2 is somewhere between the standard promo-fare beta testing and Minecraft's alpha testing where the game is developed around the wishes of the community.

• Deathwing980Deathwing980 Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Originally posted by coretester
    the removed everything that made planetside good and basically made battlefield 3 / ps edition. it's really terrible. and im not talking about the AWFUL graphics and textures, nor the animations, optimization and the other million problems it has, but the game is simply not fun. there's no point to anything and it's just terrible all the way through. but i guess its a F2P so can't expect too much, but the shooting, balance issues, max, healing, classes .... its all just extremely bad.

It sounds about right, I enjoyed the FREE CLASS building in Planetside 1, hell i am a 3 year veteran of Planetside, i was a damn Stealth Combat engineer / Medic ... i rarely had any heavy weapons on hand, i got into the battle area fixed up everyone and got out asap, later on i certed myself for hacking and that just made it fun for my friends, Stealing enemy BFR's and Prowlers....

PROWLERS!!!! god damn i missed HACKING THOSE!

but yes... This game feels more like it is Battlefield/Call of Duty instead of the original Planetside... i know they are trying to reach out to the NEW FPS players and lovers of the new generation but if they had it as planetside style instead of Planetside skin on Battlefield....

It would have been better, and the game would flow much more smoothly instead of having to deal with problems like having to recieve UNGODLY certs...

if they made it take forever to get to battlerank 10 to get a cert for that one cloaker set or whatever, that would be better... i actually enjoyed that about the original, the LONG grind was WELL WORTH THE RISK and you could recert yourself every 2 days.

heres my thoughts though what could be done.

1. GO back to planetside 1 style in terms of certifications for creating your own class

2. set recerts either as a monthly reset or a special cost (for those who love pay to wins... you can waste that way and get them money)

3. weapons, dont have it for people to purchase instead if you want money so badly, just makes it the addons that are close to basics or asthetics only.... CALL OF DUTY gold weapons, People grind the hell for those, everyone wants a gold weapon today aparently so they will pay.

4. Dont GIVE US FUCKING CLASSES!!!! Forcing a role in Planetside is like forcing a COD sniper to be a damn shotgunner... bad analogy.. they use no scopes anyway... but still forcing classes in planetside is killing the vets and you will lose them ... fast

5. Vehicles, some weapon changes maybe yes thats neat, but the variaty of vehicles in PS1 was greatly vast and this is just... just CRAP! i rarely see anyone using  light vehicles anymore and everyones running just a prowler and lightning... no certs required at all and that just leads to spamming, hell same goes for mosquitos and reavers and scythes, just spammed out like no tomorrow and kamakazis everywhere.

I am partially tired from work all night into the morning but if anyone wants to add to this, please do... i will try to add more back to it and repost this to PS2's forums if possible.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    I played PS1 back during beta up to launch. Couldn't play at launch due to other things happening at the time. Have been playing PS2 beta for a while now. People complaining about thing back at the beginning of this thread complained about some things that have already changed, been removed or been added. Frankly, I like a lot of what I see so far with PS2. But, PS2 is no where near complete/finishe. There is a lot that is yet to be added to the game and there are a lot of things that still are being balanced. So, I will hold off my FINAL evaluation until I see the game closer to the expected launch date.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115
    Originally posted by coretester
    the removed everything that made planetside good and basically made battlefield 3 / ps edition. it's really terrible. and im not talking about the AWFUL graphics and textures, nor the animations, optimization and the other million problems it has, but the game is simply not fun. there's no point to anything and it's just terrible all the way through. but i guess its a F2P so can't expect too much, but the shooting, balance issues, max, healing, classes .... its all just extremely bad.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you.  Call of Dutyfield, excuse me, Battlefield 3, is a far superior game than PS2.  And that is terribly, terribly sad because BF3 is a piece of crap.  With PS2 everything feels off.  As bad as BF3 is, at least they got the feel of movement and weapons right.  (Aside from getting stuck on a 2 inch rock from time to time.)

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• kiltakkiltak Member Posts: 103
    You guys do understand that its called beta for a reasons. They have not even put everything in and on top of thaf the game will greatly change between now and release. So far the game plays really well considering its in beta. I love it and think its far better then planetside 1.
  • SircaSirca Member UncommonPosts: 110
    Originally posted by blythega

I agree with the OP. Jump in a shoot stuff for a bit of fun. Beyond that .. Pointless.

PS2 does not capture any of the feel or game play that makes PS1 great. .. Back to PS1 for me

+1. Really enjoyed PS1 so was looking fwd to its sequel but it is definitely not as casual and fun as it used to be.

Biiig disappointment image