Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I notice not a lot of "Genre is Dead" threads since Guild Wars 2 came out

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

I notice not a lot of "Genre is Dead" threads since Guild Wars 2 came out.

anybody else notice this?

could it be GW2 lives up to the hype and gave people what they wanted from the genre finally?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

Well it could be that:

1. People are playing the game, and thus not coming onto the forums.
    2. People just stopped caring and left to go play other genres.
    3. The mods of this forum picked up the pace and started mass locking any threads on the subject.
    4. Someone's waiting for people to notice so they can jump in and start trolling.
    I'd think of more, but I'm tired right now.
  • SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

-Lets also take into consideration the Mayan Calander which ends on Dec 21st of this year and will certainly be the end of civilization. Yes, GW2 PROBABLY has the power to save mankind from this evil mayan curse- But in these uncertain times it isnt worth wasting the time to level up a guy only to have the Universe go through a server reset anyhow.

Its just not practical bro-

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Well I can't speak for everyone, but it's the first time in years I've been this pleased with one of the genre's offerings.  It kind of placated me I guess.  So yeah.
  • ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

could it be GW2 lives up to the hype and gave people what they wanted from the genre finally?

Well.. i noticed it a few month/years after WoW. As a lot of ppl realized that the genre is degenerating instead of evolute. This is just a aftermath.

Ok.. forget i i should really read the topic. (missed the not)

I dont know, but they will come back. GW2 is a good and fun game, but it is not a messiah of the mmo genre, basicly nothing changed. GW2 did note evolute the genre, it is just another spin. So basicly after the dust is settled the doomsayer will return.

And as long as not a game appears which really expand the gerne this will continue. It isnt evens WoW fault, it is the unability to realize the visions a lot of ppl got from the genre from the early games. The so what could all be possible if thing.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Actually if you look more closely you will see that we naysayers and bittervets are still out there and have been spreading our message, just perhaps with some more creative titles.

Probably hard to notice with the almost nauseating number of GW2 threads we have had to suffer through the past few months.

I am looking forward to the 28th just so perhaps people will talk about something else

Might as well be consistent, GW2 didn't bring much to the genre that I was looking for hence my return to EVE until the MMORPG Dark Ages end.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I notice not a lot of "Genre is Dead" threads since Guild Wars 2 came out?

Maybe, or maybe the trolls are too busy to make threads like that right now, when they are flameing for or against GW2 instead?

GW2 is a good game and keeps many people busy, but there will always be people tired of the genre.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

People are just playing with their latest shiny toy. After a couple of months when they realise that it is the same old ThemePark formula but in a different package they will come back to creating those threads.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Actually if you look more closely you will see that we naysayers and bittervets are still out there and have been spreading our message, just perhaps with some more creative titles.

Probably hard to notice with the almost nauseating number of GW2 threads we have had to suffer through the past few months.

I am looking forward to the 28th just so perhaps people will talk about something else

Might as well be consistent, GW2 didn't bring much to the genre that I was looking for hence my return to EVE until the MMORPG Dark Ages end.

Yeah, they're still there allright. But what happens on 28th?

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Nah, you just don't see them because they get bumped by all the GW2 threads.

On the other side, I'm glad to hear GW2 paid off for those who really like it.  I'll get there eventually. Maybe.

It bites when RL interferes with my gaming-life.  Goes to show how messed up my priorities are :-)

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428
    there are others like me who just dont bother frequenting this site anymore. i may browse this site now once a month rather then everyday. i find co op games with my fiancee to be more fun now than mmos. cant wait for torchlight II tomorrow, can't say theres a single mmo im looking forward to.
  • dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182

Well people are busy playing Guild Wars 2 right now :P Waint until speed runners (those who have already lvl 80 tons or even more than one) start complaining again. GW2 is first MMO that keep me feel like I'm really playing MASSIVE and MULTIPLAYER online game. Not another "play by yourself and see people running around MMO".

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035
    i think as the mainstream mmo playerbase "matures" they yearn for more indepth games with greater challenge. The time for worlds is at hand and neither a pure themepark or sandbox will be enough for players.
  • gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by rungard
    i think as the mainstream mmo playerbase "matures" they yearn for more indepth games with greater challenge. The time for worlds is at hand and neither a pure themepark or sandbox will be enough for players.

The mainstream mmo playerbase is already mature. The majority of MMO players are over 30. Many of us having been playing these MMOs for over a decade.

However games have been getting less and less deep and this only seems to get worse. Of course there are exceptions but games in general keep getting easier, worlds keep getting smaller, etc etc. And I can't see this trend changing anytime soon.

It's something similar to what happened to rock/pop music. Think about what was going on during the 70s. Now remember what started happening in the 80s *facepalm*.

Luckily enough, nowadays, thanks to the internet and to production costs beeing way lower, those of us who are not into mainstream music have access to all those different bands.

Hopefully, eventually, as technology keeps getting better, producing MMOs will be easier and cheaper, and smaller companies will manage to provide us those different games. However, as it is now, the mainstream market is pretty much the only safe bet for investors. And this won't change soon.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary.   However, remember that most of the happy people are busy playing games with their free time rather than posting on forums like this.   If the forums are wall-to-wall diehard bittervvets then my interpretation would be that all the people capable of being entertained are off being entertained.
  • gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by maplestone
    I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary.   However, remember that most of the happy people are busy playing games with their free time rather than posting on forums like this.   If the forums are wall-to-wall diehard bittervvets then my interpretation would be that all the people capable of being entertained are off being entertained.

Your theory does not seem to match too well with the amount of fanboys talking about their loved games in these same forums, tho.

• Psy410Psy410 Member Posts: 70

The worlds of these games keep getting smaller and smaller until you find yourself over-playing the same content too often.

I just hope they can release expansions with enough attractives to keep the game interesting and fresh.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    It's too hard to see ANY other threads lately other than "GW2 SUCKS" or "GW2 IS AWESOME!" threads, because the board is flooded with them. 
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Yeah, they're still there allright. But what happens on 28th?

I love WoW and will play MoP, but I think that on the 25th after release, the folks will relize that it is WoW and nothing more. The new class will be fun for a couple weeks but it's the same thing I'm afraid. I truly hope it is different, but I think everyone can agree that Post BC WoW isn't the same and never will be.

I will be enjoying both no matter what side you naysayers or fans are on. ;)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    GW2 killed the genre by being the final straw that broke the camels back.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

This site is not a benchmark for anything in the genre to be measured.  This is an MMO website and I venture to say that the majority of users here are enthusiasts of the MMO genre.  Some may be casual and others are hardcore, but I think it's safe to safe everyone is an enthusiast. 

Enthusiasts want the best of the best of what they love.  We are a fickle bunch who are quick to find fault and hard to please.

The average gamer does not go to this forum, and if he/she does it is on the official game site.

So keep this in mind when talking about the "genre."

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by gordiflu

Your theory does not seem to match too well with the amount of fanboys talking about their loved games in these same forums, tho.

Perhaps, but in my experience, fanboys are most common either before a game is released (when it is an imaginary thing and they've drunk the hype) and after they've burnt out the fun and are actually bittervets in denial.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    GW2 killed the genre by being the final straw that broke the camels back.

It may have broke your camel but I have one with two humps and they are strong. ;)

This has been a super year for the genre. Tera, TSW, and now GW2 are great games and cater to different folks likes. Vanguard has a chance at a second life and hopefully SWToR will gain more players in the fall. MoP will also kick things around a bit.  Not to mention the 100s of f2p titles.

There are so many games out that it is hard to choose a main one to play!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    I'll start one if you like.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Nope, plenty of people have said otherwise. But I can only imagine the true purpose of this super fan troll thread.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by rungard
    i think as the mainstream mmo playerbase "matures" they yearn for more indepth games with greater challenge.

Biggest load of bullshit I've read in a long time.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky