Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So almost a month has gone by

Comments

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Originally posted by Xasapis

Well, from the moment the mmorpgs have gained checklists (aka achievements/dailies etc), it's hard for achievers to resist filling them. For example, I really hate alts, but I may roll two up to the point that they'll give me the character creation screen badges.

Anyway, the only way to keep people in these checklist games of today is either to have a huge checklist, or an insane grind for things that people are willing to grind for. It seems that borderlands 2 is the next hot thing and people are hoping there as well.

Well, then you should take a look at your gaming habbits and make up your mind of what you want from a game or how do you want to have fun. What I want is pretty simple: kickback from the job and have fun for a couple of hours. Not mean to judge you, but habbits are pretty good at killing fun or define what you enjoy. Also, playing completely different genres is a nice way to look at games differently and see where the industry is going.

Since GW2 is b2p and switching games is within ANets philosophy, I don't think they mind people going for other games. It's also not like GW2 is not plagued by a couple of issues right now. Hence waiting a couple of weeks until the first storm of players settled is not a bad idea.

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035
    i think what guild wars 2 sets out to do, it does very well. I would call it the best overall themepark to date for sure. Are there systems that i would do differently, sure, but i think they have done a great job at providing a solid game for a great price.
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by solarine

I'm more and more convinced by what I read that the people who get "bored" with GW2 are those who just can't let the WoW clone gear carrot model go. But it's fair enough, no game is made for everyone :)

What about sandbox fans - say, EVE players - who don't like this game?

What about people looking for a smartly conceived hybrid - say, something like Archeage or even Fallen Earth? 

What about players who are just looking for a beautifully realized world full of lore and interesting stories and features that promote these? Say, something like LOTRO?

From my experience, there are all kinds of gamers among those who found they've gotten bored with GW2.

(removed the insulting part)

Yeah, pretty much all people who hoped GW2 would be different from what has been advertised for years now by ArenaNET.

"Sandbox only" players are known to bash any non-sandbox game anyway, specially on this site, so they aren't a big deal. We are used to them.

Archeage? We know nothing about that game but cool promises for now, excuse me if I reserve my opinion for when we have proofs all those cool promises are indeed in game. There are people living NOW and enjoy what's available NOW, and those who always dream about the next MMORPG which will fullfill all their dreams. Life told me to enjoy what you have before it's too late - so I'm part of the first group personally ;-)

Players looking for a beautifully realized world full of lore and not seeing it in GW2 need to wear better glasses. And those interesting stories in LOTRO most of the times involve you going to get 10 wolf tails, 20 boar guts and 50 goblin shields... I know about it, I have a lifetime account in that game. I actually came to wish someone like ArenaNET got the LOTRO franchise, and not Turbine.

Yes, there are "all kind" of gamers who got bored with GW2... you forgot the hardcore facerollers who already had level 80 full exotic 100% world a couple of days after release, those no game can ever satisfy because they spend more time playing video games than doing real life duties (if they have any). All those players though wanted to make GW2 something ArenaNET NEVER pretended it was. They clearly announced it wasn't another WoW clone with end game raid tier gear grind. It was also obvious it wasn't a sandbox.

So what did those people expect?

You dont need to be a ¨hardcore player¨ to be 80 fast, 1 free weekend is enough. And gw2 not being a wow clone?, yes you are right, is pretty much a warhammer- rift clone but the wolrd map in Rift and Warhammer are open and biggest, in gw2 is pretty much the same hardcore thempark that it was GW1, with paths, walls and portals everywhere.  and you are talking about lore? again is a joke compared with games like Lotro, Warhammer and Swtor, GW2 is far far away behind those MMO, talking about lore and history. And im not even talking about the fail that is the Spvp atm, it should be the best about gw2 but now is a casual joke, ¨teamwork and tactics¨? nah, just zerg everysingle conquest point and you´ll win. Not even a month and  poeple getting bored and quitting everyday, and wait for MoP. good thing GW2 is B2P, as a P2P it could be after the 1st month the biggest failure in the MMO history.  

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Originally posted by solarine

I'm more and more convinced by what I read that the people who get "bored" with GW2 are those who just can't let the WoW clone gear carrot model go. But it's fair enough, no game is made for everyone :)

What about sandbox fans - say, EVE players - who don't like this game?

What about people looking for a smartly conceived hybrid - say, something like Archeage or even Fallen Earth? 

What about players who are just looking for a beautifully realized world full of lore and interesting stories and features that promote these? Say, something like LOTRO?

From my experience, there are all kinds of gamers among those who found they've gotten bored with GW2.

(removed the insulting part)

Yeah, pretty much all people who hoped GW2 would be different from what has been advertised for years now by ArenaNET.

"Sandbox only" players are known to bash any non-sandbox game anyway, specially on this site, so they aren't a big deal. We are used to them.

Archeage? We know nothing about that game buy cool promises for now, excuse me if I reserve my opinion for when we have proofs all those cool promises are indeed in game. There are people living NOW and enjoy what's available NOW, and those who always dream about the next MMORPG which will fullfill all their dreams.

Players looking for a beautifully realized world full of lore and not seeing it in GW2 need to wear better glasses. And those interesting stories in LOTRO most of the times involve you going to get 10 wolf tails, 20 boar guts and 50 goblin shields... I know about it, I have a lifetime account in that game. I actually came to wish someone like ArenaNET got the LOTRO franchise, and not Turbine.

Yes, there are "all kind" of gamers who got bored with GW2... you forgot the hardcore facerollers who already had level 80 full exotic 100% world a couple of days after release, those no game can ever satisfy because they spend more time playing video games than doing real life duties (if they have any). All those players though wanted to make GW2 something ArenaNET NEVER pretended it was. They clearly announced it wasn't another WoW clone with end game raid tier gear grind. It was also obvious it wasn't a sandbox.

So what did those people expect?

You need to make up your mind. Is it only WOW players who get bored of GW2, or is it sandbox players? hardcore facerollers? or pretty much everyone?

Your posts make less sense than cup of noddles. Such flip flop and contradiction in every post.

Give it a rest, it's a video game. It is made up of many different types of players and people. He was generalizing that folks are use to playing like they do in WoW is all. Holy crud it's drama Tuesday!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

You need to make up your mind. Is it only WOW players who get bored of GW2, or is it sandbox players? hardcore facerollers? or pretty much everyone?

Your posts make less sense than cup of noddles. Such flip flop and contradiction in every post.

There's absolutely no contradiction in my posts, except the one you add with your imagination.

People disapointed/bored with GW2 are those who try to make the game something it isn't. Be it WoW clone fans who don't find their end game gear grind, sand boxers who don't find their sand, or hardcores who don't find enough content (but those never find enough content anyway =P).

People who enjoy GW2 are those have (or would have) also enjoyed games like UO or AC1, where there was no pre-defined "end game", but where the purpose was to play... for pure, simple fun. There was no gear grind in those games, no forced grouping to get the best gear either. People grouped to complete harder tasks, not to get shinier shinies. You didn't get facerolled by a guy in full "PvP gear" because there was no such thing. GW2 goes back to that model, with improvements.

To me (and that's my opinion now, of course), GW2 is what Asheron's Call 2 should have been.

So i imagined this post by you?

You are clearly trying to imply here that only people who are geting bored of WOW are people addicted to grind. And when called out on this generalization you suddenly change your tune and even include sandbox MMO players into this 'bored' category.

I have started to see this pattern in your psot where you keep changing goal posts to make your point.  

Originally posted by Amjoco
    Give it a rest, it's a video game. It is made up of many different types of players and people. He was generalizing that folks are use to playing like they do in WoW is all. Holy crud it's drama Tuesday!

Yes generalising only WOW players, that w as my point and then suddenly changed his point in next post. Why people love to rag on WOW players ONLY is beyond me.

But why are you telling me 'it is just a game' and 'give it a rest'?  i am not trying to single out a specific group of players here or making any generalizations. People get bored of games..it is that simple..regardless of their gaming background. Somethign he needs to understand.

I wonder why you even quote me? 

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

I hit level 57 last night on my thief. Did my first Explorer Mode CM with a pug, none of whom had done it before. It took over 4 hours but we had a laugh.

GW2 suits my playstyle. I'm not a raider and end-game for me has always been about PvPing for the fun of it, not who has the best gear.

That said, the queues for WvWvW need a look at. At my level it's not so bad because there's other things to do, but I worry how I would feel at level 80 after completing all the map and story.

Overall I'm still having lots of fun and before GW2 released I couldn't find anything else that interested me in over 6 months. I hope I still feel the same at level cap.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    I'm putting in a lot of hours.  I like not feeling tied to quests.  I like exploring and looking for pets, and the casual way people get together to do public quests or heal or rez. 
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

There's absolutely no contradiction in my posts, except the one you add with your imagination.

People disapointed/bored with GW2 are those who try to make the game something it isn't. Be it WoW clone fans who don't find their end game gear grind, sand boxers who don't find their sand, or hardcores who don't find enough content (but those never find enough content anyway =P).

People who enjoy GW2 are those have (or would have) also enjoyed games like UO or AC1, where there was no pre-defined "end game", but where the purpose was to play... for pure, simple fun. There was no gear grind in those games, no forced grouping to get the best gear either. People grouped to complete harder tasks, not to get shinier shinies. You didn't get facerolled by a guy in full "PvP gear" because there was no such thing. GW2 goes back to that model, with improvements.

To me (and that's my opinion now, of course), GW2 is what Asheron's Call 2 should have been.

I dont like WoW, im not a sanbox-lover and im bored of GW2, and believe me im not the only one. The ¨WoW players¨ are probably more than the 50% of the active GW2 population atm, wait till the 9.25.12 to find how right i am. And what are you talking about? there is GEAR GRIND IN GW2, all you do at endgame is grind Karma and farm dungeons to get gear WITH STATS, and the STATS works in WvWvW. 

Yes generalising only WOW players, that w as my point and then suddenly changed his point in next post. Why people love to rag on WOW players ONLY is beyond me.

But why are you telling me 'it is just a game' and 'give it a rest'?  i am not trying to single out a specific group of players here or making any generalizations. People get bored of games..it is that simple..regardless of their gaming background. Somethign he needs to understand.

He wasn't ragging on WoW players. He was stating that folks were playing the game like WoW.

I myself love WoW and am looking forward to MoP. I understand the gentle differences between WoW and GW2 and many others do too. This is what he was trying to point out, that they are different.

I'm quoting you to interject. It's a discussion forum and I'm discussing. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

He wasn't ragging on WoW players. He was stating that folks were playing the game like WoW.

I myself love WoW and am looking forward to MoP. I understand the gentle differences between WoW and GW2 and many others do too. This is what he was trying to point out, that they are different.

I'm quoting you to interject. It's a discussion forum and I'm discussing. :)

No you were trying to patronize my by telling me 'give it a rest'. So iw as wondering why...i am capable of understanding something very simple that any type of  gamer can get bored of GW2 regardless of whether he is WOW player or sandbox player. If he wasn't asked 'why only wow players..what about sandbox' then that is where it would have ended..giving an impression that only players getting bored of GW2 are WOW raid addicts.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,455

You are clearly trying to imply here that only people who are geting bored of WOW are people addicted to grind. And when called out on this generalization you suddenly change your tune and even include sandbox MMO players into this 'bored' category.

I have started to see this pattern in your psot where you keep changing goal posts to make your point.  

If you can point me to the part of my post where I said those people where the only ones getting bored with GW2, then you will have a point. Until then, you are fighting windmills. I remain convinced that those deeply stuck into the "WoW clone" endgame gear grind are the majority of those who can't adapt to GW2. I never said they were the only ones.

Your agenda is pretty obvious considering your post history btw - you trying to lecture people like me or Amjoco is quite funny.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    This would be the longest playing MMO in 10yrs. I can't believe I actually went a month and not quit. Now to see if it can make it two months.
  • LorkiiLorkii Member Posts: 88

If you can point me to the part of my post where I said those people where the only ones getting bored with GW2, then you will have a point. Until then, you are fighting windmills. I remain convinced that those deeply stuck into the "WoW clone" endgame gear grind are the majority of those who can't adapt to GW2. I never said they were the only ones.

Anyway, another person with an agenda according to the post history - and one more on the block list :)

One of my favorite games ever is shadowbane, another is Planetside1 and now 2, DAOC, was my all time favorite, and guess what you never had much gear grind in it s early years, it had a quest chain to end level to get an Epic set of gear. As you can see, These aren t gear grind games, well DAOC sorta did, but not really, shadowbane not really, there was farming to do, but no different then harvesting. Planetside has none at all, advancement in levels and certs. I went into GW2 hoping it had WvW at least 10% as good as DAOC RvR, or Planetside, nope not even close. I was hoping DEs improved the experience of leveling, and I can safely say to me anyways, it has made it worse.

Now that I ve shown I really don t care if I gear grind, I can safely say, in the last 10 years GW2 is the worst MMO experience I ve had, and I ve tried alot of games. It s simply that 1. It was overhyped beyond beleif. 2. It s not as revolutionary as some like to think. and 3. Some people are just not going to like it. Simple as that.

Originally posted by Lorkii

One of my favorite games ever is shadowbane, another is Planetside1 and now 2, DAOC, was my all time favorite, and guess what you never had much gear grind in it s early years, it had a quest chain to end level to get an Epic set of gear. As you can see, These aren t gear grind games, well DAOC sorta did, but not really, shadowbane not really, there was farming to do, but no different then harvesting. Planetside has none at all, advancement in levels and certs. I went into GW2 hoping it had WvW at least 10% as good as DAOC RvR, or Planetside, nope not even close. I was hoping DEs improved the experience of leveling, and I can safely say to me anyways, it has made it worse.

Now that I ve shown I really don t care if I gear grind, I can safely say, in the last 10 years GW2 is the worst MMO experience I ve had, and I ve tried alot of games. It s simply that 1. It was overhyped beyond beleif. 2. It s not as revolutionary as some like to think. and 3. Some people are just not going to like it. Simple as that.

And in all those years, you still didn't manage to learn the difference between "many" and "all".

But while we are at it, please tell me what made DAoC "RvR" so much better than GW2 "W3". I've played both too, so don't try to fool me, please give me an honest answer.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Thorbrand
    This would be the longest playing MMO in 10yrs. I can't believe I actually went a month and not quit. Now to see if it can make it two months.

I like this honesty - it it refreshing (I am serious).

If A.Net operates like they do for GW1 - expect lots of unique holidays, etc. Also expect some small expasions of area updates too.

It is meant to be a long term game, the way A.Net operates.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

/age

You have played this character for 44 hours 22 minutes over the past 22 days.

Across all characters, you have played  :way too much, get off your butt and do something: over the past 24 days.

:)

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

At no point has GW2 grabbed me and made me say "I can't wait until I get home from work to log in!".  Instead I constantly force myself to log in and do some stuff and when I've logged out I feel like I wasted time as I didn't have any fun moments, just random accomplishments.

I'm mostly a PvPer although I do tend to complete all the PvE in MMOs. In this case the PvP is so uninteresting it is shocking. WvWvW is so boring I just can't believe it. I loved DAoC and I thought this would be the main/best feature in GW2. But instead it is just a snooze fest of one large group attacking another large group at the same location for an hour or two. Occasionally someone actually takes a keep, but so what?

Sadly I expected this from GW2 but I bought it to see what the game was like and because I like to keep up to date on MMOs. Overall I think it was a big waste of money.

At the same time I bought CS:GO for $15 (no store involved either) and I've had many hours of true fun and enjoyment in that where as the game that cost me $60 I've had none.

That is my current view on GW2.

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

At no point has GW2 grabbed me and made me say "I can't wait until I get home from work to log in!".  Instead I constantly force myself to log in and do some stuff and when I've logged out I feel like I wasted time as I didn't have any fun moments, just random accomplishments.

If you haven't quit by now, you have a serious problem - and I doubt it's only related to GW2.

I'm still waiting for any rational and valid reason from any of the "ex-DAoC" fans here about why DAoC's RvR was so much better than GW2. I think I'm going to wait a long time... specially since they can't fool me considering I've played DAoC too.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

Awesome I applaude you for number 3.

However, I dislike many games but I don't spend 90 percent of my discussions in those forums. Have you looked at your history? We get it, you don't like GW2.

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

I am having a blast.

Lvl 80 necromancer.  Love the class even with the bugged minions and some traits.  

WvW is fun, need to get more into it.

Dungeons are the greatest thing in a long time, they are hard, they take teamwork and that is perfect.

I have 50% of the map explored, so got much more to do. 

Got one crafting profession to 386, so almost to 400 and need to work on the other profession which is around 100 or so.

Crafting bags with tailoring is crazy expensive right now, takes over 2 gold to create an 18 slot bag which only sells for 2gold and 11 silver,  so not worth it at all right now.  I wish they would change this or people would realize that you need to make a larger profit then 9 silver.

Overall this game has given me the feeling that I got when I started MMOs with EQ1.  The feeling of being a part of a larger world, most newer MMOs always made me feel like a small God in the world.

Sooner or Later

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

And in all those years, you still didn't manage to learn the difference between "many" and "all".

But while we are at it, please tell me what made DAoC "RvR" so much better than GW2 "W3". I've played both too, so don't try to fool me, please give me an honest answer.

I swear it's become the MMO-gamer 'cool kids' thing.   Throw out Vanguard and DAoC for some insta-MMO-street-cred...   At this point in time I think more people have claimed to have played those games than actually played them...

Originally posted by TdogSkal

Crafting bags with tailoring is crazy expensive right now, takes over 2 gold to create an 18 slot bag which only sells for 2gold and 11 silver,  so not worth it at all right now.  I wish they would change this or people would realize that you need to make a larger profit then 9 silver.

Agreed, anything above 12 slots is insanely expensive - but personally, I've never run out of bag space with my full 12 slot geared main (without any additional bag slots of course). I don't feel like character inventory space is a big problem in this game. I've bought two bank extensions though.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• TenkouseiTenkousei Member UncommonPosts: 114

Hit 80 yesterday and i'm trying to figure out what i'm supposed to do. I figured i'd start farming karma for the 42K gear as i don't have the time to go and farm tokens in EM dungeons (i can't afford to spend 2 - 3 hours in dungeons).  The combat is getting on my nerves though, pressing four keys gets boring fast. I wish they'd change the system to something that is more like TERA (i know a lot of people don't like that style of combat, but to me it's the best on the market).

Still need to finish my story quest though.

Your agenda is pretty obvious considering your post history btw - you trying to lecture people like me or Amjoco is quite funny.

And that agenda would be? Not everyone who is fanatically in love with GW2 has an agenda ;). Sorry but it is not just black or white. There are people like me who are in the middle...the grey area.

I can also comment on your post history but i rather not. ;)  i am fan not a fanatic..big difference.

You clearly implied with your post that you are convinced (pretty sure of yourself) that the people who get bored with GW2 are those who can't let WOW clone gear carrot model go. I think what you wrote is pretty clear in itself.

I mean what are the chances that even people who have no inteerst in WOW could also get bored of GW2? but you clearly forgot to mentioned that untill someone else pointed out your narrow mindedness by asking 'what about sandbox players'.

Also somehow you are under impression that by disliking your obnoxious posts i am anti-GW. 

*rolls eyes*