Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Defensive Bonuses & Monster Damage

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Some big changes are coming with the Diablo III v1.0.5 patch, not the least of which are changes to the defensive abilities of all characters and the monster damage dealt by Inferno level monsters. Most significantly, Wizards and Barbarians utilizing specific defensive skills will be impacted. However, all classes will be seeing improvements in defensive abilities across the board.

Alright, so let's recap. Defensive skills are taking a hit in 1.0.5, but incoming damage from monsters is also being reduced. Taken together, the changes mean Inferno is going to be easier. For some of you this is totally cool; you welcome an easier Inferno because it’s about efficiency and not difficulty. For others, you may be skeptical but you're at least intrigued at the possibility that you'll be able to drop some defensive skills and discover some new builds. However, for others, Inferno is currently already too easy. Maybe you don't use any defensive skills; maybe your gear is so good you dropped War Cry - Impunity weeks ago. For this last group you may be wondering "Another Inferno nerf? But I crave more of a challenge, not less!"

Rest assured those who seek additional challenges. They will be incoming in v1.0.5 and will be detailed at a later date.

Read the full blog post on the Diablo III site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    They keep nerfing FOTM build as i see, first it was attack speed, now it's defense build, peoples keep buying the stuff they need to survive in inferno and Blizzard keeps changing the rules...  way to make money.
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Well, money is made off of player sales, so it's not like they cash in exclusively.

That said, people are still playing this? xD. I stopped after beating Inferno with a Barbarian. Couldn't bring myself to log on anymore. Maybe with a decent expansion?

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Its a nice update considering it basically meant you use certain skills. It was quite an iffy feeling to have a bar full of defensive skills with maybe 1 offensive ability to use. I'd not call it 'easier' though, I'd just say its giving more options. Difficulty in this game was basically made soely into gear, if not evident by the cheap Champion/elite combos that no amount of skill can do anything about preventing.
  • Yoottos'HorgYoottos'Horg Member UncommonPosts: 297

"Another Inferno nerf? But I crave more of a challenge, not less!"

A challenge is scrambling to put the pacifier back into my 3 month old--after an hour long tug-of-war with sleep at 0255 in the morning--before he wakes up. Inferno is just stupid hard and for no gameplay related reason. Diablo III was uninstalled weeks ago and I still don't regret it.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Yoottos'Horg

"Another Inferno nerf? But I crave more of a challenge, not less!"

A challenge is scrambling to put the pacifier back into my 3 month old--after an hour long tug-of-war with sleep at 0255 in the morning--before he wakes up. Inferno is just stupid hard and for no gameplay related reason. Diablo III was uninstalled weeks ago and I still don't regret it.

Inferno is not stupid hard. Inferno is faceroll at the moment. Everyone and their dog and cat etc. can farm Inferno. Act 1 and 2 are so faceroll that I even can't tell elites from normal mobs. Act 3 is also very easy but I guess if I went afk for like 5 minutes, the mobs will kill me. Act 4 is not that difficult too but it is not efficient for farming. Act 3 is much better for farming. For first playthrough Act 4 is also faceroll.

Originally posted by Kaynos1972
    They keep nerfing FOTM build as i see, first it was attack speed, now it's defense build, peoples keep buying the stuff they need to survive in inferno and Blizzard keeps changing the rules...  way to make money.
    They keep nerfing overused builds to promote diversity. You can survive Inferno in blue items now. What this change will do is make Inferno even easier. They are nerfing defensive skills but at the same time they are nerfing incoming monster damage. Net result is pretty much the same damage incoming but WITHOUT most of those defensives. If you get those defensives, they will provide extra protection compared to now. But I guess you didn't read the article at all. You just came in to hate on Diablo.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Played 2 hours yesterday, found about 20-25 rares, not one higher than 55.  Itemization is flat out broke.  It is nothing to do with fotm builds, FIX THE BROKEN ITEMIZATION!
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

This is amazing... not in a good way.

They're essentially running D3 like a cash shop MMO.  Changing things up to keep people buying.

Incredible.

What happened to games just being games and not compulsory freaking virtual shopping malls? Even Blizzard knew a thing or two about that in the past.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I don't mind them having to make people buy stuff...it lets me make money lol...

Inferno is already easy anyways, my monk, barb, and DH almost never die now.  The trick is knowing what your classes best skills/roles are and going 100% in that direction.  My monk for example has 2000+ resist all and uses entirely defensive skills.  They're going to be nerfing these skills, so now maybe I can afford to do some offense too.  My monk hasn't died in about a month, and I run Inferno Diablo all the time with friends.

Edit: I should also mention my monk has paragon level 78...And that helps alot too hehe.
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    This isnt a nerf to defense, it doesnt require regearing, and inferno isnt easy. Unless you have good gear. I know, I have both well geared chars and sub 1 mil gold chars, and the difference is night and day. Most people who post here dont seem to know what they are talking about.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    This isnt a nerf to defense, it doesnt require regearing, and inferno isnt easy. Unless you have good gear. I know, I have both well geared chars and sub 1 mil gold chars, and the difference is night and day. Most people who post here dont seem to know what they are talking about.

Inferno is easy. Of course, you can't farm it with a sub 1 mil chars but compared to what it was you simply can't die with a 20 mil+ char. And 20 mil doesn't take that long. Of course, you can't expect to live off items which are just vendor trash. I have seen so many people with items which are ilvl 50-58 who complain they can't farm Inferno. Of course they can't. They should stick to farming Act 4 Hell or Act 1 Inferno if they can.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.