Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't play this game because of terrible mouse lag/camera smoothing/acceleration

Comments

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by ironhelix
    Still trying to figure out what you people are even talking about. I keep seeing this topic pop up in the "recent forum activity" area, and I'll be damned if I can even understand WTF you're going on about. Since I definitely don't see it, we are faced with the only other possibility being that some people's clients do it, and others don't. I find it exceedingly hard to believe that there are two seperate versions of the client out there, so I am forced to pose the suggestion that it's probably something on YOUR end.

I'm still trying to figure out why some of you seem to have so much animosity towards those of us who are suffering from this. What's with the attitude really? Why in the hell would any of us make this sh*t up? 

Honestly, I'm getting beyond irritated with some of the inane and beyond clueless posts that some of you are making. If you don't have the issue then whoop-di-doo, go away and play the effing game while the rest of us try and get something done about it.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

@ Alacres

It's probably because people see the Thread Title and automatically assume than anyone that post in the thread with the issue is saying the game is unplayable or broken..

Most posters aren't saying that at all.. Just stating how frustrated they've become with the camera issue and how it affects their gameplay..

Also many folks are just bandwagoners and just do what they think is "E-cool"...

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Zefire
    Got to agree that camera is very bad and wow has better.hope they fixe it soon

This

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by daemon132
    I have never had any mouse lag  and the camera is perfectly fine, if you nauseated that easily i think you should stick well away from modern games.

You obviously haven't played a decent game with smooth mouse/camera response then... Go try WoW you'll see the difference between good and bad and GW2 is bad.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    @op reduce audio quality. Audio quality apparently affects input lag.
  • evolpcevolpc Member UncommonPosts: 75
    The most productive thing to come from this thread is it proves how selfish many of you are. If a real, bonified, easily verified issue exists but does not affect you, why must you state that there is no problem at all? Why blame it on others PC settings, etc.. when all that does is make you sound ignorant? It is obviously a design choice by arenanet and no amount of settings is going to change that. The only people that seem not to notice it are less experienced gamers who have no idea what they are talking about or haven't played games without mouse smoothing/ acceleration. As I said earlier this problem does not even bother me but anyone who knows their stuff knows it exists, you might as well be denying the earth is round. Why fight it? I hope they add a toggle to turn it off for the sake of the people it affects. More options are never a bad thing. I promise fanbois, it will not hurt your game in any way.
  • ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by alacres
    Still trying to figure out what you people are even talking about. I keep seeing this topic pop up in the "recent forum activity" area, and I'll be damned if I can even understand WTF you're going on about. Since I definitely don't see it, we are faced with the only other possibility being that some people's clients do it, and others don't. I find it exceedingly hard to believe that there are two seperate versions of the client out there, so I am forced to pose the suggestion that it's probably something on YOUR end.

I'm still trying to figure out why some of you seem to have so much animosity towards those of us who are suffering from this. What's with the attitude really? Why in the hell would any of us make this sh*t up? 

Honestly, I'm getting beyond irritated with some of the inane and beyond clueless posts that some of you are making. If you don't have the issue then whoop-di-doo, go away and play the effing game while the rest of us try and get something done about it.

Allow me to sum up using the Scientific Method: Either I have a physiological condition that prevents me from experiencing this phenomenon, or it happens on your computer and not on mine. If it is the former, then I guess you got me. If it is the latter, then I suggest that you start experimenting with your settings etc. to try to pinpoint the problem, because I'm not even going to entertain the possibility that there are multiple versions of the client (one that has this problem, and one that doesn't).

I'm not trying to be an ass, I just can't understand how some people could have this issue, and others not have this issue, without it being the result of something on the user's end.

EDIT: I want to add that I hope you guys figure out what is wrong, I suppose that it's rather frustrating to be fighting the camera while playing.

Allow me to sum up using the Scientific Method: Either I have a physiological condition that prevents me from experiencing this phenomenon, or it happens on your computer and not on mine. If it is the former, then I guess you got me. If it is the latter, then I suggest that you start experimenting with your settings etc. to try to pinpoint the problem, because I'm not even going to entertain the possibility that there are multiple versions of the client (one that has this problem, and one that doesn't).

I'm not trying to be an ass, I just can't understand how some people could have this issue, and others not have this issue, without it being the result of something on the user's end.

EDIT: I want to add that I hope you guys figure out what is wrong, I suppose that it's rather frustrating to be fighting the camera while playing.

It is not an "issue" or a "bug". It was designed into the game. There is no way to turn it off. The fact that you don't notice it means you are probably desensitized to it from playing a lot of games with mouse smoothing/ acceleration. Or maybe you just don't know what you're looking for. Most games have an option to turn it off. GW2 does not. It has different affects on different people. Some do not even notice it, while others are nauseated by it. Very simple.

I don't think people who are having the issue have stated there are two versions of the game people are playing on. It's really an issue of perception and personal taste more-or-less. I do not really like this camera style they have here in GW2. I get the same feeling about the mouse's responsiveness as the OP. I don't get the motion sickness but I do get frustrated with fighting the camera sometimes to look in the direction I want or at least percieved it would be in based on my mouse movements.

His case (or his perception of it) may be a little more extream than mine but that doesn't mean either one of us are wrong here or even the ones who don't seem to be affected by it. In my case I can definately feel a difference in the responsiveness of my camera in GW2 in comparision to something like TSW where I haven't felt an issue with the camera.

I stated before how it literally made me ask out loud .. "WTF is up with the camera.." this let's me know to myself at least (LoL) that there is something a little wonky in how they  (ArenaNet) choose to do their camera in conjunction with my personal taste. Again it's not a gamebreaker, I'm not cursing spending $60 bucks on the game...

But there is a noticeble difference for me, myself and I..

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

I found most of my problems were from using wireless connection to my cable modem. This would in turn cause small interruptions in my mouse, sound, video, etc. I purchased a wireless range extender with a 4 port hub - wired my computer into it - no more small interruptions.

It could be something as simple as that.

Originally posted by evolpc

It is not an "issue" or a "bug". It was designed into the game. There is no way to turn it off. The fact that you don't notice it means you are probably desensitized to it from playing a lot of games with mouse smoothing/ acceleration. Or maybe you just don't know what you're looking for. Most games have an option to turn it off. GW2 does not. It has different affects on different people. Some do not even notice it, while others are nauseated by it. Very simple.

Well, I am using a mouse with integrated mouse smoothing and acceleration. So I can adjust the game to my preferences. Fortunately pc gaming is all about personalized setups.

Originally posted by botrytis

I found most of my problems were from using wireless connection to my cable modem. This would intrun cause small interruptions in my mouse, sound, video, etc. I purchased a wireless range extender with a 4 port hub - wired my computer into it - no more small interruptions.

It could be something as simple as that.

I'm glad you got your issue resolved. The OP and others cases are not this.. It's not our mouse movements being interupted or not recieved..

It's how the games camera is moving in relation to our mouse movements and how we feel the responsiveness should be. People have talked about trying wireless, corded, laser and trackball mice and still having the issue during gameplay.

I use a wired Razar Naga myself. Mouse has been excellent in the time I've had it.. Used it for Planetside, TSW, GW2, Planetside 2, and a few others..

Also @op and people having issues with mouse: Did you try to change the camera settings (rotation speed and position)?
  • MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by rikilii

I get totally nauseated after 10 minutes of playing it with this horrible mouse control

I thought Oblivion was the only game with this issue, but apparently it's a trend.

Yet another $60 down the drain.

How hard is it to make games with normal mouse control???

Sorry mate, but you have motion sickness.  And THAT is YOU and your body's inability to deal with the conflicting information between your eyes and your body (inner-ear).

And you're not the only one.   I get it (motion sickness from gaming) too.  But instead of whining about it and throwing stones at developers for what is my 'problem,' I just do the the thing necessary to avoid the issue.  Otherwise it's book reading for entertainment.

• First, game in a well lighted room. 
    • Second, make sure your monitor isn't too big because you want most of your visual field to not have motion. 
    • Third, your brain really needs to see what your body is telling it so learn to not focus on your character on the screen, but focus on the whole screen  or the game's horizon in the screen .
    • Fourth, when you turn your camera, turn your head -- your head is moving, your visual field is moving -- brain and ears are on the same page.
    • Fifth, find things that work for YOU and stop blaming other people for YOUR biology.   And think on the bright side -- motion sickness is a trade-off for exceptional balance.  When you're in your 70s and all your friends are falling down for no good reason as their balance wears away with old age and they'll be breaking their hips, you'll probably be fine because you'll have started from a much higher ability.

Otherwise, you're going to have these issues.   

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Dont see what the problem the OP has, in fact I love the way the camera works its quick and precise and promotes quick reaction unlike the slow almost archaic slowness of WoW.  GW2 mouse control is very reminescent of  a FPS.

I am in the same boat as this post however I don't want to be insensitive to the OP's and others issue either.  While I don't have this issue the decription of an FPS could be a good one.  I knw many ofmy gaming friends can't play FPS games because of the camera angles and motion.  

I would hope if this is a legitimate issue for some people that perhaps something could be done to help people that are having issues.  I know when I play FPS games I cant pla them as long as others.  I don't have that experience in this game and I am curious to ask my other friends who I know if they have noticed this issue.

Originally posted by IPolygon

Well, I am using a mouse with integrated mouse smoothing and acceleration. So I can adjust the game to my preferences. Fortunately pc gaming is all about personalized setups.

It does not matter what software you are using with your mouse. If the game is forcing it, you cannot turn off mouse smoothing. I use a Razor Naga and the software with it is great. You may think you are affecting this but you can only affect the acceleration rate, not smoothing. Game controls that.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    Originally posted by Jackdog
    Originally posted by Opapanax

It's not a gamebreaking issue I assure you, but for those that like very tight and responsive camera controls it can be a problem worth noting. As rare as it may be (Well it itself is not rare because EVERYONES camera is doing this) to hear some folks complain about it, it's out there..

you want to shine in PvP man lose the mouse altogether track ball rules

YEP!  Trackball only here.

• rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084
    Originally posted by dariuszp
    Originally posted by rikilii

I get totally nauseated after 10 minutes of playing it with this horrible mouse control

I thought Oblivion was the only game with this issue, but apparently it's a trend.

Yet another $60 down the drain.

How hard is it to make games with normal mouse control???

Fix your mouse. Or change it's settings. Game is fine. You are only one with the problem.

Another moron who apparently can't read.

Originally posted by sumdumguy1
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Dont see what the problem the OP has, in fact I love the way the camera works its quick and precise and promotes quick reaction unlike the slow almost archaic slowness of WoW.  GW2 mouse control is very reminescent of  a FPS.

I am in the same boat as this post however I don't want to be insensitive to the OP's and others issue either.  While I don't have this issue the decription of an FPS could be a good one.  I knw many ofmy gaming friends can't play FPS games because of the camera angles and motion.  

I would hope if this is a legitimate issue for some people that perhaps something could be done to help people that are having issues.  I know when I play FPS games I cant pla them as long as others.  I don't have that experience in this game and I am curious to ask my other friends who I know if they have noticed this issue.

I have no problem with FPS games.  I'm playing one right now.  It has nothing to do with the camera angles.  It's the mushy camera movement that is the problem.  In the FPS game I normally play, and in every other MMO I've played, the camera moves precisely when I move the mouse, moves without acceleration and stops exactly when I stop moving the mouse.  Not so in GW2.

I do notice that the problem seems less significant if I turn my graphic settings all the way down, but it's still there, and the game looks like garbage on minimum settings.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

It's the posters like evolpc and Adam_Nox that are creating a lot of the animosity towards the people with the issue by posting things like this. It's 100% BS. I believe that a lot of people are having this issue and hope Anet gets it fixed. However I have no acceleration on my mouse/camera movement. But this clown will insist that I do and then go on to insinuate that any one that "does not notice it" are simply incompetent. Which is exactly the same thing I'm sure you guys are tired of hearing. So knock it off. Pretty soon all I'm going to see on these forums are a bunch of blocked users.

Originally posted by Xzen

It's the posters like evolpc and Adam_Nox that are creating a lot of the animosity towards the people with the issue by posting things like this. It's 100% BS. I believe that a lot of people are having this issue and hope Anet gets it fixed. However I have no acceleration on my mouse/camera movement. But this clown will insist that I do and then go on to insinuate that any one that "does not notice it" are simply incompetent. Which is exactly the same thing I'm sure you guys are tired of hearing. So knock it off. Pretty soon all I'm going to see on these forums are a bunch of blocked users.

Lol you resort to name calling and smack talk. That's a sure sign that you have no better way to make an intelligent debate. I never degraded anyone or called them incompetent as you imply that I did.  There is no animosity and there shouldn't be. It's an issue in a video game. Get a life. It's not YOUR game. We all bought our own copy of it. Calm down. I would suggest getting some medication for your condition. If you already have some, maybe increase the dosage.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I can't believe this thread is still going. Most of us do not have this issue. I even tested for acceleration, moving the mouse a precise distance to one side at different rates of speed and the view always ends up in the exact same place, so I'm not experience acceleration or negative acceleration. My camera moves exactly where I want it to move, with out lag, drag or delay.

So, even though the OP and some others don't want to hear it, this is not a universal flaw inherent to the game and there may even be some solution to be had on their system if they would stop being stubborn and actually go looking for it.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Originally posted by fiontar

I can't believe this thread is still going. Most of us do not have this issue. I even tested for acceleration, moving the mouse a precise distance to one side at different rates of speed and the view always ends up in the exact same place, so I'm not experience acceleration or negative acceleration. My camera moves exactly where I want it to move, with out lag, drag or delay.

So, even though the OP and some others don't want to hear it, this is not a universal flaw inherent to the game and there may even be some solution to be had on their system if they would stop being stubborn and actually go looking for it.

Read my lips:  I have tried every supposed solution that has been proposed.  The developers of the frigging game have acknowledged that it is a problem.  I don't have this issue with ANY OTHER GAME, except Oblivion, where the problem is also well-documented.  Several other people on this thread have indicated that they can see the issue and cannot find a work around.

The fact that you can not perceive it does not mean that it doesn't exist.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Lol you resort to name calling and smack talk. That's a sure sign that you have no better way to make an intelligent debate. I never degraded anyone or called them incompetent as you imply that I did.  There is no animosity and there shouldn't be. It's an issue in a video game. Get a life. It's not YOUR game. We all bought our own copy of it. Calm down. I would suggest getting some medication for your condition. If you already have some, maybe increase the dosage.

Incompetent - Not having the necessary skills to do something successfully

So yeah you did insinuate it if not flat out saying it. Here's the problem with forums. You do not know me. You don't know what I do for a living. Trying to tell me I am unable to "notice" it is just ridiculous. I didn't call you a liar or incompetent. Why do you insist that I and many others are having the same issue as you when we simply are not. You are not going to convince people that can test this themselves and verify that the issue does not exist on their end that it does. So why even try? Why call their competence into question? I've just run out of patience for certain types of posters on these forums.

Incompetent - Not having the necessary skills to do something successfully

So yeah you did insinuate it if not flat out saying it. Here's the problem with forums. You do not know me. You don't know what I do for a living. Trying to tell me I am unable to "notice" it is just ridiculous. I didn't call you a liar or incompetent. Why do you insist that I and many others are having the same issue as you when we simply are not. You are not going to convince people that can test this themselves and verify that the issue does not exist on their end that it does. So why even try? Why call their competence into question? I've just run out of patience for certain types of posters on these forums.

I never said I was having this problem. Nor that it was a "problem". On the contrary I am quite enjoying the game without any issues at the moment. I am simply not going to go on a forum and profess to be beyond conventional knowledge and deny the existance of mouse smoothing in a game in which it is integrated into the design. I too have run out of patience for certain types of posters on these forums. Oh look we have something in common. Would you like to crawl under a snuggy with me and watch Grey's Anatomy?