Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did they nerf the game?

frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

I am asking because i honestly dont know. I played each and every beta event and most stress tests but had to jump relatively late in the game itself because of internet issues that ,coupled with my chronic altitis is the cause that my highest ranking character is only level 21 atm. And wht ive noticed is that BWE2 was much, much harder that the game such as it stands now. Mobs took away a third of your health with each hit, you dodged or died, you lost concentration, you hit the ground... Now i just plow right through them.

I prefered the old way if you ask me. Ive heard that this is only in the first levels, to ease the way for beginners, so i am asking you, people with high level toons... Does the game difficulty increase at later levels? 

Comments

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Originally posted by freston
    Does the game difficulty increase at later levels? 

No, it doesnt. It is easy at beginning, and it stays easy and repetative all the time. You dont get millions of customers with a difficult game. Rule #1 in MMORPG business today  /sigh

Hodor!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

You are thinking about BWE1, it was indeed harder.

BWE2 feels rather the same to me, the one difference is that people play a lot better now and finally start to get how to fight.

They say that BWE1 had a scaling issue with some DEs that actually got harder for each new player so they call it a fix, not a nerf. And even if they did make the game easier it isnt really a nerf, it is balancing until the game is released, nerfng afterwards.

• IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266

Its rather unevenly difficult than non-difficult. There are easy events and hard events. Some events require following tactics, which are not very obvious at first, and can lead to failures (like Grenth temple, if you dont tank boss far away from your charr leader, or if you dont know how to combat shades). Some monsters are harder than others (especially since some monsters are bugged, like Orr dudes that hook you and pull you can do it even if you have Stability boon). Some dungeons are harder than others.

Really, its just uneven difficuty distribution. If you want challenge, try soloing veteran mobs. Or even champion mobs if you fell cool and powerful. Try doing those instances that have hard explorer modes. Try WvW - find challenging enough task for yourself (like, ganking around enemy spawn, soloing supply camps, distracting bunch of enemies, etc.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by gwei1984

No, it doesnt. It is easy at beginning, and it stays easy and repetative all the time. You dont get millions of customers with a difficult game. Rule #1 in MMORPG business today  /sigh

If you pretend Orr is as "easy" as Queensdale, then I'm calling shenanigans ;-)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

No, it's just the low area you're in.

I'd even say that Orr and some other highlevel areas are irritatingly hard sometimes. You're almost constantly stuck kiting 4-5 mobs who drain your health, slow you, pull you in and stick pointy things up your ass; then when you've finally killed them and walk back 2 steps to take a break, you encounter the respawn...

Of course, it's a lot of fun when you're in a group.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412

OBVIOUSLY coming from someone who hasn't played the game. Maps become more dense, mobs gain more skills and attack differently, and DEs become harder to solo but not impossible. 

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Some people complain how GW2 is too hard, some is too easy... It all depends on content and how well you managed to grasp GW2 combat mechanic. But I did noticed one thing. Heavy armor professions are easiest to play in general PvE. I rember playing Thief or Elementalist in BWEs and I used dodge all the time. Now I play warrior and I just go frenzy and no dodge. Of course if the mob is elite or stronger I dodge a lot, but any normal mob that has no special attack (like knockback, aoe etc) is dead on sight.

Other thing is that they indeed nerfed low levels to help newbie players but high levels can present a challenge when not in zerg. For those seeking the ultimate challenge explorable mode dungeons (not all paths) can feed your hunger for challenge.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    I just started following the game prior to BWE3 and my fisrt impression was this game sucks. Took me a while to learn that I just could not stand there and fight in PvE and I had to bring my PvP skills into it or the mobs were going to wipe the ground with me.

I miss DAoC

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Quality of life improvement from Anet here would be to have separate traits tree for dungeons just like there is one for sPvP. Since you need only pure muscle in the open world for the most part, people end up in dungeons with the same build, which isnt the most ideal setup for staying alive or suffering from the "running around like headless chicken" -mode.

Tbh I dont see why I cant have a free respec at all times. It would be fun to experiment on PvE too but right now I'm stuck with the build I go. And no, it's not a money sink, it simply just prevents me from changing build on the run. I see a change coming to this since it does not even fit the Anet philosophy very well.

• TymorisTymoris Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Personally I'll agree with the comment about uneven difficulty. There were times as I was levelling that the enemies were so easy I got bored, then at times hard enough so I had to pay a lot of attention. The difficulty from what I noticed in general goes haywire.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM

Some people complain how GW2 is too hard, some is too easy... It all depends on content and how well you managed to grasp GW2 combat mechanic. But I did noticed one thing. Heavy armor professions are easiest to play in general PvE. I rember playing Thief or Elementalist in BWEs and I used dodge all the time. Now I play warrior and I just go frenzy and no dodge. Of course if the mob is elite or stronger I dodge a lot, but any normal mob that has no special attack (like knockback, aoe etc) is dead on sight.

Other thing is that they indeed nerfed low levels to help newbie players but high levels can present a challenge when not in zerg. For those seeking the ultimate challenge explorable mode dungeons (not all paths) can feed your hunger for challenge.

As cloth or lether user you increase the survivability a lot by putting your traitpoints in defense trees first. Glass canons tend to die a lot. Good gear also helps a lot.

I dont think my thief die more than most heavy armor users, in fact I usually survive longer than 95% of them but then I cant just put all I have into DPS, that is a trinity misstake. Your class needs to be specced to be flexible so you need to be able to withstand some punishment as well as do damage.

Of course speccing your warrior only for defense is not good either since you need to do some damage as well.

• RhaorthRhaorth Member Posts: 22
    GW2 difficulty isn't tuned properly, and/or the game mechanics itself need work.

It's way easy in the field compared to dungeons in explore mode, which are just punishing. People zerg with full dps specs out of dungeon, trivializing most of the events people encounter. The way loot mechanics are set up doesn't help either, since it's all tab and tag as much as you can to get any loot, if you're trying to do any support, you'll simply miss out.

Once people enter explore mode dungeons with that kind of mentality, they set themselves up for a large repair bill, since you can't go in with any spec, despite what anet initially said. Dungeons aren't balanced in difficulty either, since it feels as if trash mobs are harder than the bosses themselves at times, or just a pain in general to deal with. Dungeon loot is crap on top of that, getting the same loot as killing normal mobs makes people want to deal with dungeons less.
  • Originally posted by gwei1984

Are you lying or ignorant?

Yes the level 70+ zones are considerably harder, especially Orr.  Unforatuntely there are tons of people like this who are either bitter in general and make shit up or there are tons of people who simply assume that since level 40 and 60 is similar that therefore everything else.

Try running solo through Orr to get zone completion.  Go ahead, I dare you.  Post your /deaths before and after and then claim its all the same.

Seriously I dare anyone to do it.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

yes it does. maybe not linearly, but it does. Orr is a great example. You have a much higher  chance of survival/getting this done if you are in a group. Mobs hurt more, will CC combo you and many of them will call for help. explorable dungeons are also pretty difficult (some chains more than others).

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    I'm level 55 and last night I went to lowbie areas and was fighting risen thralls.  My thief is doing pretty good and I destroy almost anything but last night these guys handed me my ass.  Does anyone know what the spell or what is it that hurst so much?  Is it a reflect or something?  Whatever happened it took me from full to a sliver of health.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    To me it's on the same skill level as any other themepark title out there. Some DEs and hearts are really easy and some are harder. It's a good mixture and balanced pretty well imho.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.