Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A real next generation MMO:

jadan2000jadan2000 Member UncommonPosts: 508

Here is what i think the next generation of MMOs should have in one game:

1. thempark with alot of sandbox elements through the leveing and endgame

2. dynamic raids and dungouns- group content that can change totally through things that your team does. this changes the gameplay for the dungeon and keeps players on there toes. not to mention they dont get tired of doign the same old thing.

3.  No more raids and dungeons that have one mob that everybody super wacks on until it dies. 

4. new AI in NPc's that react better in combat and non combat fashions. let them move around mroe aroudn towns, have more conversations, enemies react to you even though the dont agro. they dont just stand around and act liek your not there when you run past them.

5. mini games/ fluff- not just combat, but games that we can play outt of combat.

6. weather/ night and day system  

Add to the list if you would like.

Comments

• glim3merglim3mer Member UncommonPosts: 154

Here's my list,

• No (instanced) dungeons or raids, real raids with the full meaning of the word. (explanation: Certain zones will be known for being harder in content and will require a small group to venture. Other zones might be a lot harder and will require a large group to venture in them (20 man). Bosses are not in fixed locations, so you have to explore the area to find them. One time they might be in a cave, next time wondering around, etc...). Add to that all the new technologies they have current with public quest's etc... and they can work a way where there is no kill stealing.

• Take what guild wars 2 did with weapons. When you pick up a weapon you get new skills and you can do combos etc... but expand that by a huge factor. Also you get "talent points" to attribute based on your weapon you are weilding, almost like skills. 
    • Add real PVP objectives in an open world environment. 
    • Add guild vs guild PVP and objectives. There needs to be a reason for guilds to duke it out.
    • Allow the world to be dynamic and allow players to have some sort of ability to change the world by creating guild halls, player houses, cities, etc... (ala UO and SWG)
    • Naval war anyone? Why not have boats and be able to attack other people's boats?
    • See monsters!! (real see monster requiring a small group even a large group to kill them). I cant believe its 2012 and we still dont have a decent game that has real challenging sea monster worth hunting for their loot.
    • Remove tier gear and add random loot that's just good.
    • Remove gear vendors
    • Remove raid points earned that you need to exchange for gear (Make gear drop only from loot!!)
    • Make some ressources rare and make crafting require rare ressources and make gear made from crafting good!!

These are just some things I'd like to see in a game. I know some are not next gen ideas, but for some reason MMO's have  regressed. So some old ideas/concepts need to be reinvented and added to the next gen MMO's.
  • TobiasGreyTobiasGrey Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by jadan2000

Here is what i think the next generation of MMOs should have in one game:

1. thempark with alot of sandbox elements through the leveing and endgame

2. dynamic raids and dungouns- group content that can change totally through things that your team does. this changes the gameplay for the dungeon and keeps players on there toes. not to mention they dont get tired of doign the same old thing.

3.  No more raids and dungeons that have one mob that everybody super wacks on until it dies. 

4. new AI in NPc's that react better in combat and non combat fashions. let them move around mroe aroudn towns, have more conversations, enemies react to you even though the dont agro. they dont just stand around and act liek your not there when you run past them.

5. mini games/ fluff- not just combat, but games that we can play outt of combat.

6. weather/ night and day system  

Add to the list if you would like.

That sounds a LOT like MMORPGs that were released in 2001. That's not really next gen, that's just hoping that decent devs start working making MMOs again.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

No premade quests and stories
    No levels
    No xp
    No statted items or character sheets
    Just a virtual world with many non combat ways to compete and collaborate with other players. Many ways to be creative and many ways to interact with other players besides killing npcs or each other.

• LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

SWG

• robgyorgyrobgyorgy Member Posts: 105

well my most played game and a game i enjoyed to the fullest was legend of mir 2.

with that come many ideeas to mind that would make an mmo what it shud be.

1. Open world dungeons where every1 fights for a boss.

2. items that drop from these open world dungeons/bosses ACTUALY ARE GOOD

3. no factions, open world pvp with a couple safe zones in towns of course.

4. crafting that actualy means a damn thing. i dont need to be able to use crafting to create items but at least make it where i can use my items and craft them to a better item(better stats/looks etc)

5. NO MORE TIER ITEMS!

there were more things i liked in that mmo but they dont come to mind right now. all i know is i played it for 10 years straight and if it didnt shut down id still play it.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Everytime I see a title like this threads I come in expecting a new game, but am dissapointed to find bulletin points of what people want. Thinking up ideas is easier than commiting to them, sadly.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

For next gen MMO's I'd like to see a removal of the limitations we have in place these days in most MMO's and go back to the days of EQ.

If I want to take 60 people on a raid I will. Don't tell me I can only take 25. Why do all MMO's today go with a standard 5 man group? What's wrong with 8? or 6? This one really pisses me off. The whole idea behind MMO was MASSIVELY. 25 people is FPS numbers, it ain't massive.

If I want to go wearing shit gear, let me. Don't tell me I can't go to a raid/dungeon until I have "x" gearscore. If we've got shit gear we'll take more people.

Stop locking content. I payed for the box and probably pay the same sub as everyone else. Let me go where I want to, I've PAID for it.

I could keep going but it'll just turn into a rant.

More freedom, more choices, more flexibility.  Fewer restrictions, less hand holding.

• VolnusVolnus Member UncommonPosts: 40

A perfect game will need to be a sandbox, 

-players should be able to create their own dungeons 

- it needs a decent housing system, like in swg were you could place a house, but give the housing area an instanced version. In a simple way make a instanced zone of no mobs but were people can place their houses.

- let players design their own houses, give basic ones and then let the players build ones.

- I think that a fantasy setting 

- I needs the base classes my idea, Tank, mele dps, scout , cleric , mage. You will then get a certain level and then pick your sub class. Then you will specialize , not lie stupid wow crap were you get trees.

Lets say i was a mage. I hit the level i can pick a sub class. Lets say i pick necromancer (i am a pet guy). You will advance and realize what you like You will go to a trainer and he will say "You have progressed well but this is only the beginging." Then a window will pop up and give you the three specs.  One being   Death Control (Your pets)  Disease (  Your dot's)  Life siphon (a tree on health recoveryw ith drains).  You would then go through and get your current max. This is were you will pick a mastery ability. So one will be a pet other is a dot then a drain for the trees.   

- It will need mounts

- Free to play always

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

Well for me:

1) no levels, unique collectible skills only

2) modifiable skills.

3) no handouts. earn everything players take for granted now. teleports, resses, etc

4) multipath faction based advancement (profession, deity, race, hometown all distinct)

5) player worldbuilding

6) openworld pvp from my other thread (good vs evil)

7) 1st person only...focused on immersion

8) limited gui..everything is graphical where possible. no exact numbers Heartbeat for health etc.

9) damage on mobs displayed graphically...no bars over heads.

10) focused on 3 player grouping

11) full fps combat

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by Foomerang

No premade quests and stories
    No levels
    No xp
    No statted items or character sheets
    Just a virtual world with many non combat ways to compete and collaborate with other players. Many ways to be creative and many ways to interact with other players besides killing npcs or each other.

I dont see what the incentive is to play a game like this?

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Theocritus
    Originally posted by Foomerang No premade quests and stories No levels No xp No statted items or character sheets Just a virtual world with many non combat ways to compete and collaborate with other players. Many ways to be creative and many ways to interact with other players besides killing npcs or each other.
          I dont see what the incentive is to play a game like this?

Character development, social interaction, collaboration, competition, creativity, strategy, coordination. Fun with others in different ways than killing stuff basically.